Dewpider, Araquanid Discussion

Araquanid still deals 1/3 to Toxapex + Liquidation can lower the defense (do you know the % for this to proc?), leading to a 2HKO.
Toxapex is a very nice check but Mantine and other Water Absorb users are way better.
I don't think "most things that resist water" will be enough to stall this guy.

Last edited:
New details of its ability have made me think that it does have some potential for a offensive threat. It will mostly spam water type moves along with leech life sometimes. Its still not overwhelming powerful and pokemon with storm drain and water absorb like gastrodon will be difficult for it to break.

Is Water Bubble officially one of the best abilities in the game now? I need Floatzel to get it... Popplio and Azumarrill also have a bubble theme. Second HAs please?

Toxapex is a very nice check but Mantine and other Water Absorb users are way better.
That is if toxic doesn't screw them over (Gastrodon, Mantine, Rotom-w, Quagsire, Vaporeon, Seismitoad, Volcanion, absolutely none of the water absorbers or storm drains have ways around toxic). Toxipexs would resist both water and toxic but again, the issue is its still incapable of 1v1ing Araquanid, especially if it runs wall breakings sets like sub+toxic+Liquidation+Leech Life and gets defense drops.

Even if Araquanid is running a sub set, Toxipex can poison through Baneful Bunker, and most likely recover stall it. Unless Liquidation is non-contact, but I'm fairly sure it is.

Gale Wings hard nerf.
A blessing and a curse. I guess Flying spam in LC...might be on the way down? If that's the case, I WILL use Dewpider. Also, is it just me, or is Lileep an excellent check to Dewpider? Storm Drain and Rock coverage would seem to be pretty hard checks. Am I wrong here?

A blessing and a curse. I guess Flying spam in LC...might be on the way down? If that's the case, I WILL use Dewpider. Also, is it just me, or is Lileep an excellent check to Dewpider? Storm Drain and Rock coverage would seem to be pretty hard checks. Am I wrong here?
Lileep is weak to Bug, and thus would be a shaky check at best.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mew: 295-348 (86.5 - 102%) -- 12.5% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Araquanid Liquidation vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mew: 339-400 (99.4 - 117.3%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

Credit to JediwilliW for these calcs.
Does anyone feel like this is based off the itsybitsy spider rhyme

I thought it was based on the Diving Bell Spider

He's like a reverse diving bell spider, he keeps a bubble of water with him on land while the diving bell spider keeps a bubble of air with him in the water.

Side note the diving bell spider is incredible and reading about it blew my mind.

Is Water Bubble officially one of the best abilities in the game now? I need Floatzel to get it... Popplio and Azumarrill also have a bubble theme. Second HAs please?
Why would azumarill need it ? It has an ability that doubles moves of both it's stab (well needs to be physical bu still). Floatzel really needs it though.

Upon further testing, I can confirm it is indeed 2x and then another 1.5x due to STAB. The video had incredibly unfortunate damage rolls.

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...chanics-research.3586701/page-20#post-7080942

http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...chanics-research.3586701/page-20#post-7080945

The above two posts should confirm it. I will add this to the OP of the thread.
HEROES NEVER DIE!!

I'm really intrigued to see how Araquanid plays out in whatever tier he's placed in. While not a monstrous wall I do think people underestimate his bulk a bit. With a strong, albeit limited attack, he balances kind of nicely. He'll be infinitely more usable in VGC than he will in singles though.

Has anyone looked into the possibility Water Bubble having hidden, negative effects? Like, perhaps, making Araquanid taking increased damage from Electric or Grass attacks?

There is always Entrainment. I was thinking just the other day about having Water Bubble Araquanid use Entrainment on Primarina. Not even Substitutes can save your Pokemon now!

That is if toxic doesn't screw them over (Gastrodon, Mantine, Rotom-w, Quagsire, Vaporeon, Seismitoad, Volcanion, absolutely none of the water absorbers or storm drains have ways around toxic). Toxipexs would resist both water and toxic but again, the issue is its still incapable of 1v1ing Araquanid, especially if it runs wall breakings sets like sub+toxic+Liquidation+Leech Life and gets defense drops.
Not entirely true. Vaporeon, Seismotoad, Lapras, and the Poli family all have access to 32 PP Refresh. Maybe you don't want to run them with Refresh, but they do have an answer to Toxic.

Entrainment onto Choice Specs Keldeo in Doubles --> SURF ALL THE THINGS
Specs Wishiwashi would be a better choice. Include rain for even more murder :P

252+ SpA Choice Specs Wishiwashi Hydro Pump (220 BP) vs. 4 HP / 252 SpD Eviolite Chansey in Rain: 478-564 (74.4 - 87.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)