ORAS OU Diffraction: Offensive-Balance Theme Team

Hey folks, it's MetaMeganium and I'm here to submit my team: Diffraction.

As you might be able to see (or read), this is a theme team of sorts, based on the spectrum of visible light. Although I made the first draft of it for a low-stakes league competition, I was able to tweak it over time and eventually peak at 1712 on ladder last April (as 'thegabegrumps').

I'm really hoping to improve this team while still keeping the general "feel" and theme if possible. This is my first ever Smogon forums RMT, so I tried to be as detailed as reasonably possible. (Don't worry, a condensed version of my team's chemistry and approximated team building process is given at the bottom of the introduction).

I hope people enjoy using this team (and improving it) as much as I have!

Introduction

The role distribution of my Pokemon is very balanced, featuring a physical wall, a special wall, hazard control, a physical sweeper, a special sweeper, a mixed attacker, a revenge killer, and a stall/wall breaker.

My team survives most threats thanks to its incredibly strong, albeit slightly unconventional core.
Heatran covers Scizor's only weakness and Scizor returns the favor by eating up the (largely physical) array of Fighting and Ground moves. Together, my two-Pokemon wall core is immune to Toxic, Burn, Sandstorm, Poison, Fire... resists Dragon, Flying, Normal, and Psychic... and strongly resists Grass, Bug, Fairy, Ice, Steel. The addition of Gengar bolsters my team's ability to respond to wall breakers, as it is totally immune to Ground and Fighting moves.

The rest of my team picks up the slack with my core's weakness to Water moves (i.e. Scald, Hydro Pump, and Hydro Scald Steam Eruption). Both Keldeo and Serperior resist Water and can switch into these moves without particularly fearing the burn. Dragonite can also switch in (when need be) with its resistance and Multiscale... and then cure any potential burn with the Lum Berry. Miscellaneous nuisance moves like Spore, Stun Spore, and Leech Seed are completely ineffective against Serperior, so my core is further protected against the likes of Ferrothorn. Passively, opponents are threatened by the possibility of losing items, catching burns (from two sources), contracting paralysis, and getting phazed.

My team can also thrive offensively thanks to its variety of devastating attackers. Dragonite and Serperior are famously competent at sweeping entire teams, and their weaknesses can be played around with a bit of patience. Scizor, Heatran, and Gengar make short work of Fairies and a vast majority of my team makes short work of mixed-type steel Pokemon.

I don't actually remember the exact order that I built the team in, especially considering that I was originally building around a strict theme, but here we go.

Iron Maiden (Mega Scizor, Red)

I wanted an insane physical wall and Defogger/Spinner that wasn't incredibly passive, so I took a happy chance on Iron Maiden. The sheer bulk and resistances of Mega Scizor combats a vast majority of the physical metagame, with the only real exceptions being absurd wall-breakers and Fire users.

Technician STAB Bullet Punch adds very threatening priority and wards off Ice, Rock, and Fairy types. Knock Off cripples any item-reliant switch ins and Psychic or Ghost Pokemon.

Lil' Teapot (Heatran, Red-Orange)

Heatran pairs famously well with Fire-weak Pokemon and I needed Rocks and phazing, so I chose the older Specially Defensive set to cement my core. SpDef Heatran's typing, ability, and bulk absorbs any Fire attacks that Scizor can't take and shields frailer team members from almost any move that Scizor can't.

In exchange for Flash Fire's protection, Heatran can take solace in Mega Scizor's crazy physical bulk. Though Mega Scizor doesn't resist any of Heatran's weaknesses, Heatran's key threats rarely beat out the Iron Maiden.

The addition of Fire STAB in Lava Plume threatens Steel, Bug, Ice, and Grass types. Ground coverage in Earth Power shakes up Fire, Steel, Electric, Rock, and Poison types that could threaten potential members.

Leviathan (Dragonite, Orange-Yellow-Green)

With Ice resists, hazard removal, and hazard setting on my team, I felt comfortable adding Dragonite to the party. The original dragon is a great physical sweeper, rampaging over anything that isn't Fairy or mixed-typed Steel (which are threatened by Scizor and Heatran) and revenge killing easily with Extreme Speed.

My wall core is more than capable of taking on Dragonite's weaknesses to Dragon, Fairy, Ice, and Rock.

Dragonite has great bulk, a solid typing, and a godly ability, so it can also eat Fire hits for Mega Scizor, shrug off Water/Fighting/Ground hits for Heatran, and tank any huge hit when the team is threatened by a sweep. The ability to absorb status conditions with Lum Berry on hand is also very valuable.

Sin (Serperior, Yellow-Green)

Serperior is the conjugate to Dragonite, ripping through all but the bulkiest walls. With HP Fire, this sneaky snake tears through most Pokemon after a boost, draining water types that threaten Scizor and Heatran, while melting mixed Steel types that would hinder Dragonite.

My wall core easily takes on Flying, Ice, Fire, Poison, and Bug types that threaten Serp's safety.

Serperior can also drink Water type moves that would threaten my team (without truly fearing a burn), ignore Grass support moves, and get insane momentum off of stat drops RNG and guaranteed secondary effects (e.g. Shadow Ball or Icy Wind). Grass typing begins the formation of a Fire-Water-Grass core and a needed Rock resistance.

Bullseye (Blue-Indigo)

Scarfed Keldeo is amazing for revenge killing and is also capable of picking of common scarfers. Water STABs soak Fire types that threaten Scizor/Serperior and erode Ground types that threaten Heatran. "Physical" Fighting shatter Ice and Rock types that threaten Dragonite, bend Steel types that get in the way of Dragonite sweeps, and pound the insufferable blob that is Chansey.

A loose answer to Electric types is found in Serperior and Specially Defensive Heatran, and Heatran's Flying resistance still keeps the core air-tight (pun fully intended).

Keldeo provides yet another Water resistance for my main core (and doesn't get wasted after a burn). The addition of a Water type completes Fire-Water-Grass core, and the presence of a Fighting type gives the team a resistance to Dark and adds an additional resistance to Rock and Bug.

Copypasta (Violet-Red)

Gengar completes the team, adding a real wall-breaking presence outside of my typical win-conditions. Ghost-Poison-Fighting moves create perfect offensive coverage and Taunt shuts down Stealth Rock leads, setup sweepers, and passive 'Mon like Chansey.

Many Counters and Trappers (particularly Scarfed Landorus-T, Tyranitar, and Weavile) are completely shut down by Mega Scizor. Mega Scizor also loves taking a Knock Off, and people often attempt to use it before she Mega Evolves.

Though Gengar can't take any real hits (with the exception of a 4x resisted U-Turn), its typing and ability are still amazing for the defensive profile of my team. Ground and Fighting immunities are very helpful for keeping Heatran safe and a Poison typing means that half of my team is immune to Toxic nonsense.

The Immovable Object

Iron Maiden (Scizor-Mega) (F) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpDef / 4 Spe
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off
- Defog
- Roost

Why Physically Defensive, Defog Mega Scizor?

Though it is often used as a deadly setup sweeper, Mega Scizor can also make a profoundly reliable wall. This set is meant to surprise, wall, clear hazards, and disrupt. It can shut down most physical attackers and stall out passive 'Mon, all the while clearing the way for its teammates by Defogging and occasionally revenge killing an injured foe.

Yes, this set is really unorthodox, since it is largely support-oriented... but don't count it out, because it's honestly the sturdiest physical wall I've ever used. With 70/150/100 bulk, 8 resistances, 1 immunity, the ability to ignore Sand and Toxic damage, the ability to fearlessly switch into Knock Offs, a great Attack stat (even when uninvested) access to great support moves, and just a straight-up surprise factor, this set is actually incredibly useful.

Simply enough, this wall is the glue that holds my team together. I can pivot to and from it relatively safely and use its natural strength and bulk to soften a lot of the opposing team for my attackers.

Spread, Moveset, and Item?

Maximum investment in physical defense plays very well with Scizor's natural sturdiness. On the physical side, this thing walls basically everything that doesn't have a Fire move or drastic stat-boosts. It can easily wall out frail threats like Weavile... it can readily take on Mega Lopunny, Tyranitar, Landorus-T, and Excadrill... and it can even tank a hit from terrifying wall breakers like Mega Heracross, Mega Medicham, and +1 Fire Punch Dragonite! This walling ability is even more dramatic if physical attackers switch into a lucky Lava Plume or Scald from Scizor's teammates.
252 Atk Life Orb Weavile Low Kick (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 77-91 (22.3 - 26.4%) -- 14.1% chance to 4HKO

252 Atk Landorus-T Earthquake vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 102-120 (29.7 - 34.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 126-148 (36.6 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyranitar Crunch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 126-148 (36.7 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 136-161 (39.5 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 Atk Jirachi Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 156-188 (45.3 - 54.6%) -- 55.9% chance to 2HKO

252 Atk Pure Power Mega Medicham High Jump Kick vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 201-237 (58.6 - 69%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 136+ Atk Mega Heracross Close Combat vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 300-354 (87.2 - 102.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Mega Scizor: 316-372 (92.1 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

On the special side, Mega Scizor is no slouch either. When shit hits the fan, it can still tank some surprisingly strong hits for an emergency revenge Bullet Punch or Defog.
0- SpA Garchomp Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 236-280 (68.6 - 81.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Magnezone Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 264-312 (76.7 - 90.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 267-315 (77.6 - 91.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 4 SpD Mega Scizor: 343-406 (99.7 - 118%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO
Bullet Punch makes legitimate dents in attacking 'Mon without any bulk investment and is a really convenient way to revenge kill. Coming off a base 150 Attack, even uninvested, Technician Bullet Punch can KO many opponents in 3 hits or fewer.

Knock Off was added as a second attack because it devastates most common switch-ins and helps Scizor hurt Steel-resisting Psychic types like Jirachi, Starmie, Victini, and Mega Metagross; my team also really appreciates item control against bulky teams and scarfers.

Defog is a necessity on basically every team in the OU metagame. Mega Scizor may not be able to stay in on Stealth Rock users with fire coverage, like Heatran and Tank Chomp, but a clutch Defog is free in pretty much any other context. This set takes a lot of opponents by surprise, causing them to play fast-and-loose with their Stealth Rocker prematurely, and it also blows away the occasional Dual Screens team.

Roost is essential, with all walls needing consistent recovery.

Scizorite is literally mandatory on Mega Scizor. While Leftovers Scizor is technically an option, the insane stat buffs and Knock Off "immunity" is easily worth losing residual recovery and a Mega slot.

Other Options?

Although I've done a lot of calcs for pure physical walling, a slightly altered EV spread may be optimal. I've kept the current spread simply to account for RNG and whittle damage, but some investment in SpDef or Attack may end up being beneficial.

U-Turn is a strong option instead of Knock Off, as it can ease prediction, maintain momentum, and keep Mega Scizor safe from trappers and strong special attackers. This is one of the biggest changes that I'm considering for my team, but I'm still partial to Knock Off for the support against Stall and scarfers.

Superpower is another option instead of Knock Off, as it can combat incoming Heatran, Magnezone, Ferrothorn, and Bisharp. This is usually not worth it, however, as the rest of my team does not meaningfully struggle with taking these threats out 1v1.

Skarmory can do a similar (and slightly more conventional) job as a Defogging physical wall, but the lesser bulk, the additional weakness, the lack of resistance to Ice, the lack of priority, and the relative passiveness are all very unappealing.

Tea Time

Lil' Teapot (Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpD / 8 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
- Roar

Why Specially Defensive, Phazer Heatran?

Heatran's typing (with Flash Fire) is phenomenal, with 2 clutch immunities, 9 amazing resistances, and the ability to avoid Sand and Toxic damage. These traits make for a very solid wall. As described in the introduction, this little hot head works together wonderfully with Mega Scizor to complete a sturdy core that is only noticeably vulnerable to special water moves.

Aside from walling, Heatran does a great job of thwarting Steel and Fairy types, threatening switched in attackers, setting Stealth Rock, and phazing away the opponent's momentum.

I gave Teapot full investment in HP and Special Defense for the purpose of walling, with a splash of speed for beating slower Heatran. Bulky Heatran with Stealth Rock and Roar serves as an amazing counter to Fire-wielding setup sweepers like Volcarona, Clefable, Serperior, Talonflame and Roost Charizard X. Full Special Defense investment is really appreciated against coverage moves, often making the difference between life and death. While the lack of a recovery move hinders Heatran's ability to wall continuously, a bit of smart play can keep it along for the long haul.

Lava Plume is obligatory on the Specially Defensive set. The high burn chance can win matches, whittling walls and neutering physical attackers, and it hits surprisingly hard when boosted with Flash Fire.

Earth Power is here to challenge Electric types and prevent Heatran from becoming a sitting duck against incoming Heatran and Volcanion. It also hits monsters like Charizard Y, Talonflame, and Zapdos for super-effective damage after they Roost.

Stealth Rocks is another mandatory move in the ORAS metagame. Having Rocks allows my team to put pressure on the otherwise problematic Weavile, Charizard X, Talonflame, Thundurus, Tornadus-T, and so on.

Roar is great for phazing in conjunction with Stealth Rock, continuously tearing through otherwise unconcerned opponents. A solid Roar read can absolutely kill the opponent's momentum; Sub Sweepers, Calm Minders, Baton Passers, and the sort are all foiled by a well-timed Roar.

Leftovers is the obvious choice, giving Heatran access to passive recovery.

Other Options?

The spread is open for review, but the once recommended 68 Speed EV investment doesn't do my core much good, since Suicune and Mandibuzz are pretty uncommon and they already struggle against this team.

An alternative set with Toxic or Protect instead of Earth Power or Roar can come in handy against bulky water types and High-Jump Kickers, but I already have solid switch-ins for these options, and I prefer to have my walls be less passive.

The only other item that would make sense for this build is the Air Balloon, but nothing else on the team fears an Earthquake.

End of Days

Leviathan (Dragonite) (M) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed

Why Dragon Dance Dragonite?

Dragonite is my primary physical attacker and most common wincon. Once Fairy types and mixed-type Steel Pokemon are out of the way, Dragonite usually wins the game.

As any Gen V player knows, a setup Dragonite can be a terror in OU, flaunting extreme power, great speed, and boasting really solid bulk. Dragonite's natural stats, combined with its ability and Lum, guarantees it at least one free Dragon Dance.

In a pinch, Dragonite can shrug off any intimidating hit for the team and cure any incident statuses with its snack.

This is the tried and true, standard Dragon Dance Dragonite with Lum Berry, so it has physical sweeper investment and an Adamant nature.

Outrage eats souls. A vanilla use kills all bulkless things. +1 Outrage purées essentially everything that isn't a dedicated wall and doesn't resist it. A +2 Outrage kills most walls. A +3 Outrage is pretty much a first-class flight to gg's.

Earthquake deals with most Steel types incredibly well and inflicts heavy neutral, non-contact damage without locking Dragonite into Outrage.

Extreme Speed is essential for revenge killing and outpacing standard priority. E-Speed after Stealth Rock damage is a simple answer to Talonflame, Weavile, and many frail attackers.

Dragon Dance is the set's lifeblood, boosting it to insane levels of attack and popping it into a great speed tier after just one usage.

Lum Berry is the item of choice, as my team is somewhat susceptible to statuses. Lum + Multiscale can give me a free Dragon Dance session against things like Rotom, snaps Dragonite out of confusion for a second round of attacking, or can absorb an inevitable status move in a pinch.

Other Options?

A Jolly nature would make my team noticeably faster and allow Dragonite to outspeed Mega Manectric and Mega Lopunny at +1. That being said, an Adamant nature makes Dragonite a force of nature and improves its ability to break through bulky walls a little too well.

Dragon Claw is a potential option for Dragon STAB, preventing the lock-in effect and confusion of Outrage. The relative lack in power is really disappointing, however, as it misses key late-game KOs against a lot of walls. This power difference would be even more noticeable if a Jolly nature is used instead.
+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Mega Venusaur: 309-364 (85.1 - 100.2%) -- 6.3% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 96+ Def Mega Venusaur: 207-244 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 303-357 (100 - 117.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Rotom-W: 202-238 (66.6 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Outrage vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 256-303 (67 - 79.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

+1 252+ Atk Dragonite Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 240+ Def Landorus-T: 171-202 (44.7 - 52.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

Fire Punch is an option for destroying Ferrothorn, Skarmory, and Air Balloon Steel types with ease, but then Dragonite gets walled by bulky Heatrans.

Weakness Policy can be used instead of Lum for an easy sweep, but my team gets much more mileage out of the free setup or status control.

As mentioned by Kurukaito, a Scarf Kyurem-B set is superior in terms of sheer bulk and off-the-bat kill power. My only reservations are due to the loss of Extreme Speed, Earthquake, Lum, and mid-sweep freedom of choice.

Knowledge of Good and Evil

Sin (Serperior) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Glare

Why Leftovers Serperior?

Serperior is wickedly threatening, blisteringly fast, surprisingly durable, and generally serves as an amazing late-game cleaner/sweeper. Games that don't end with a Dragonite Outrage sweep are usually ended by Serperior's storm of leaves.

Offensively, with the ability to outspeed the 110/111 speed tier and reach +6 Special Attack in a few turns AND a monstrous STAB move, Serp is a low-risk, high reward option for my team. This badass is perhaps the best check to the bulky OU water and ground types like Rotom-Wash, Slowbro, Quagsire, and Hippowdon... and can wall break almost any wall that isn't Chansey or Heatran.

Defensively, Serperior's typing, fair bulk, and access to nice support moves are really handy in collaboration with its teammates. The ability to easily switch into resisted moves (particularly from Keldeo and Rotom-Wash) is amazing and the immunity to Spore and Leech Seed is very nice for easing predictions. Glare really holds back threats like Mega Charizard, Amoongus, Heatran, Talonflame, and Tornadus-T.

Again, this is a standard set. This is Contrary Serperior with Glare and Leftovers, so it has special sweeper investment with a Timid nature.

Leaf Storm is the crux of the set and is busted with Contrary. The damage output is absurd on even some resisted hits, and you can sweep entire teams with it, thanks to the +2 Special Attack boost.

Dragon Pulse and Hidden Power are the only two coverage moves that make sense on a 6th Gen Serperior. Dragon Pulse is great for KOing Dragons and doing fair neutral damage against many Leaf Storm resists. Hidden Power Fire is chosen for roasting Steel, Bug, and Grass types.

Glare is the best fourth move for my team, as it punishes switch ins and benefits the offensive portion of my team. A little bit of speed control can often lead to a clean sweep.

Leftovers is my personal item preference on this set, as it guarantees a game's worth of easy switch ins against Keldeo and Rotom-W. With the ability to live a Specs Icy Wind and get a Contrary speed boost, I'll take every health point I can get.

Other Options?

Hidden Power Ground is a great lure option to knock out Heatran, but it does nothing against Air Balloon sets and most of my team members can KO Heatran on their own. Hidden Power Rock is kinda useful against Talonflame teams if you can predict the switch in, but you're left outta luck against Steel types and Grass types. Hidden Power Fighting is a neat middle of the road option for hurting many Steel types, but it is less powerful than a counter-specific Hidden Power and leaves you unprepared for threats like Skarmory that resist all of Serp's moves.

Giga Drain or Leech Seed would work well as a fourth move, but they are a little redundant alongside the acccurate-enough Leaf Storm and the sufficiently restorative Leftovers. Synthesis, Knock Off, or Taunt can be handy against really defensive teams, but all three seem unnecessary given Gengar's role and the option of Glare's speed control.

Life Orb is a good item when I need to OHKO Ferrothorn and Scizor at +0 or wear down Chansey after a few boosts, but it is rarely worth losing the extra health every turn, and essentially necessitates Giga Drain, Leech Seed, or Synthesis on the set.

Ride Like the Wind!

Bullseye (Keldeo-Resolute) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
IVs: 1 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Why Choice Scarf Keldeo?

Bullseye is the most recent addition to my team, serving as a dedicated revenge killer and adding a reliable way to outspeed relevant scarfers and the entire unboosted metagame. Scarf Keldeo is a straight-forward yet terrifying monster. Its STAB moves have great coverage and tend to be pretty spammable.

Threats like Mega Diancie, Choice Band Terrakion, Scarf Landorus-T, and Mega Lopunny are outsped and severely hurt with Keldeo's powerful STAB moves. This is also true of weakened Mega Manectric, +1 Charizard X, and Thundurus/Tornadus-T after Stealth Rocks.

Keldeo provides defensive benefits to my team, completing a classic Fire-Water-Grass core, resisting Stealth Rock, and switching into a resisted Knock Off in a pinch. In fact, losing the Scarf can often be advantage when it becomes too constraining (i.e. against stall).

This is the standard Choice Scarf Keldeo with Hidden Power Electric, so all investment goes into special attack and speed with a Timid nature.

Scald is the best spam move in the game. Aside from being rather strong after STAB, the random burns can change the course of games by crippling and whittling standard switch ins.
252 SpA Keldeo Scald vs. 72 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 314-372 (93.1 - 110.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Scald vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 288-338 (89.1 - 104.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Scald vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Mega Diancie: 270-318 (112 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Hydro Pump is basically liquid dynamite, capable of snagging the kill against fast attackers and slightly worn down walls.
252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 8 SpD Landorus-T: 426-504 (111.5 - 131.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Terrakion: 390-462 (120.7 - 143%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Keldeo Secret Sword vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Lopunny: 290-344 (107 - 126.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Manectric: 216-255 (76.8 - 90.7%) -- 25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard X: 205-243 (69 - 81.8%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 216-255 (72.2 - 85.2%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 205-243 (49.1 - 58.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 0- SpD Tornadus-T: 219-258 (73.2 - 86.2%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 96 HP / 0 SpD Assault Vest Tornadus-T: 130-154 (40.2 - 47.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Secret Sword is what sets Keldeo apart from most special attackers, allowing it to breathe easy in the face of Chanseys and Ferrothorns. The presence of Secret Sword also helps Diffraction stay away from being too specially biased.

Hidden Power Electric allows my team to fry fast, Fighting-resistant Water types like Gyarados and Starmie without sacrificing or seriously injuring a team member. Conveniently, Azumarill does not appreciate the Hidden Power on the switch in, as Keldeo can 2HKO the Banded set without even being killed by a Belly Drum Aqua Jet.
252 SpA Keldeo Hidden Power Electric vs. 92 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 158-186 (43.4 - 51%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 173-204 (53.5 - 63.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Other Options?

A Modest nature could be used, I guess, if I want to secure easier kills, but outspeeding key threats is too important for a Scarfer.

My current dilemma is deciding between Hidden Power Electric and Icy Wind, though I'm leaning towards Hidden Power. Icy Wind is somewhat helpful for speed control and hitting Amoonguss and Dragon types for decent damage.... but it is extremely weak, not even outright OHKOing any set of Garchomp after Stealth Rock.
252 SpA Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 240 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 276-328 (66.1 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 12 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 276-328 (76.6 - 91.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Dragonite: 240-284 (74.3 - 87.9%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Latios: 112-132 (37.4 - 44.1%) -- 1.2% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252 SpA Keldeo Icy Wind vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 130-154 (30.1 - 35.7%) -- 36.6% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Black Sludge recovery

Originally, I used Azumarill as my fifth/blue Poke, as it established both a Fire-Water-Grass core and a Dragon-Fairy-Steel core and neatly balanced the team's physical-special presence; unfortunately it really slowed the team down as a whole. I tried to fit Mamoswine/Defiant Thundurus on my team as a physical threat that could ignore Thunder Wave, but they would've been another Ice weakness on a team with Serp/Dragonite and they lacked the ability to wield their strengths effectively against either high-bulk or high-speed 'Mons (respectively). Scarfed Kyurem-Black is a really nice option, serving as a solid response to all of my typical "problem 'Mon", but the Dragon/Fairy/Fighting/Rock/Steel weakness is less than helpful and being locked into any of its moves is really scary.

Haunted Save File

Copypasta (Gengar) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Taunt

Why Life Orb Gengar?

Trusty ol' Gengar is my primary stallbreaker and wallbreaker. Gengar is OU's only six-generation veteran for a very good reason: it has the speed, the coverage, and the typing to dismantle a huge portion of the metagame. With the luxury of outspeeding most of the unboosted meta, great STAB coverage, the stats for wallbreaking, and access to the stall-destroying Taunt, Gengar was a must for my balanced team.

Gengar is most often used to destroy Chansey, Clefable, Heatran, Slowbro, and Hippowdon, clearing the way for a Dragonite/Serperior sweep. It also can OHKO many faster threats with its great Ghost-Fighting-Poison coverage.

Gengar's typing and ability allow my team to play the prediction game a lot easier, granting me an immunity to Fighting and another immunity to Ground and Toxic.

Spread, Moves, and Item?

Shadow Ball and Sludge Wave (or Sludge Bomb) have always been essential to Gengar's success. The two moves together hit most relevant Pokemon (excluding maybe Tyranitar and Bisharp) for great damage.

Focus Blast, as frustrating as it can be, is so good on Gengar. Many eager switch ins like Specially Defensive Heatran/Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, Bisharp, and Weavile all get shut down by a confirmed blast. On the 50/50 of Pursuit trapping, staying in and shooting off a brave Focus Blast can pay off BIG; scarfed Tyranitar does not kill with a min-power Pursuit and Bisharps sometimes prefer to Knock Off instead of Pursuit or Sucker Punch.

Taunt is the definitive pick for the fourth slot after fucking around with Chanseys one too many times. Nothing feels better than absolutely stomping out stall teams.

Other Options?

Icy Wind was an option in the back of my head for dealing with the common annoyances of higher speed tiers, Scarfed Lando-T, Gliscor, and Garchomp but is too often not worth the risk against Scarf users, and Keldeo or Serperior typically do a better job against these monsters.

I tried to run Focus Sash as insurance against speed ties, Pursuit traps, and Bisharp/Tyranitar Focus Miss shenanigans, but Life Orb is just a stronger option for reaping stallwall souls.

Problems

Diffraction has given me a lot of success in my league and on the ladder, and the following six aspects are the only huge "unknown variables" in some matches. Everything else just comes down to making rational moves.
  • Can't Wait for the Nerf: Without a cleric, status really hurts my team... especially when that status is Paralysis. I have solid switch-in and immunities for Burn, Toxic, Spore, Leech Seed, Knock Offs, Trick/Switcheroo, and so on, but no Ground/Electric type... so Paralysis tends to hit me where it hurts (my ELO). Thundurus, Klefki, Chansey, Ferrothorn, and Clefable are the worst perpetrators of this (in that order). Usually Dragonite has to pop its Lum and try to kill or let Heatran/Mega Scizor take the Thunder Wave for the team, leaving them at the mercy of RNGesus.
  • The Mixed, the Fast, and the Bulky: Tornadus-Therian (Hurricane, Knock Off, and Superpower/Heat Wave) and offensive Starmie (Psyshock, Hydro Pump/Scald, Ice Beam) run mixed attacks by design and do very hefty damage with their STABs. This is probably the most obnoxious threat type for my team. My solution almost always involves getting up Rocks and then neutering them on switch in with Glare/Knock Off or revenge killing them with Scarfed Keldeo.
  • Bait and Switch: This is pretty specific, but mixed attacking Pokemon that run quirky moves tend to throw a wrench in my gears. Lure Latios with Earthquake + Hidden Power Fire destroys my wall core and threatens to outspeed and decimate everything but Serperior. Something similar is done by Earth Power + Hidden Power Fire Mega Diancie. Shifting into "Offense Mode" with Serperior, Gengar, and Scarf Keldeo is my current answer to this problem.
  • Hot and Cold Lightning: Mega Manectric, Scarfed Magnezone, and Thundurus are somewhat bothersome, as I lack a Ground type and have 4x weaknesses to both Ice and Fire. Coverage moves can be played around, but a mistake makes the game quite a bit harder. My current solution is to eat hits with Heatran, setup Stealth Rock, and then revenge kill with Keldeo.
  • The Elders: Strangely enough, the two Pokemon that give me some of the most trouble are the Green and Red version mascots: Venusaur and Charizard. For Mega Venusaur, I unfortunately do not have access to the super-effective moves that scare it out... I just have to whittle it with a status or hit it with a set-up sweeper. Although Roost Mega Charizard X is walled by Heatran, if the dragon is running Earthquake I almost always have to sacrifice a 'Mon. The best defense against this is prediction, Stealth Rock, Glare, +2 Serperior, Taunting with (aka Sacrificing) Gengar, or breaking Dragonite's Multiscale and using Outrage or Earthquake + Extremespeed.
  • 1-Up Yours: When I don't have the momentum in the match, Amoongus stall is dumb and annoying as fuck. Everything non-Grass type hates breathing in the Spore, Dragonite can't break through the mush without committing to setup, and +0 Serperior is hard-countered on the switch. My solution is typically to let Mega Scizor absorb Spore and then pressure the damn thing with Taunt Gengar or Heatran.
  • Demon Spawn: Apparently I completely forgot about Mega Pinsir, but it can sweep my team if it is allowed to get a Swords Dance at full health. I'm not insanely worried about this, due to its relative rarity, but a good Mega Pinsir + Magnezone team could really fuck me over. My best solution would be killing with Hydro Pump (as even Adamant Quick Attack doesn't kill) or tanking some hits with Heatran for the Lava Plume or Stealth Rock.

I Wanna Be the Very Best

Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoyed my team and find some ways to optimize it. I look forward to making my favorite team even better.

Last edited:
Hey friend :) You team look cool !
Your team cover a lot of thng, but like you say there is some threath
For that, I think put Scarf Kyurem Black on Dragonite can be best to check Amoon, Venu and all threah you have quote :) He outspeed +1 Mega Zard X put the pressure with Dragon Claw or Outrage to sweep, outspeed torna t and starmie and put the pressure with fusion bolt, and outspeed Thundu, amoon and Venu and put a lot of pressure with Ice Beam ! ( Ice Beam of Kyurem Black pass Thick Fat ) He can also KO Mega Pinsir who is more than dangerous for your team.
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw

4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 194-230 (54 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 246-290 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 438-516 (147.4 - 173.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 290-344 (97.6 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 306-362 (94.4 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 358-422 (110.8 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 272-324 (90.9 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 321-378 (107.3 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 248-294 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Now your team is more solide, and you have new solutions for threaths. I hope I helped you good, and I hope change will be help you :)

Hey friend :) You team look cool !
Your team cover a lot of thng, but like you say there is some threath
For that, I think put Scarf Kyurem Black on Dragonite can be best to check Amoon, Venu and all threah you have quote :) He outspeed +1 Mega Zard X put the pressure with Dragon Claw or Outrage to sweep, outspeed torna t and starmie and put the pressure with fusion bolt, and outspeed Thundu, amoon and Venu and put a lot of pressure with Ice Beam ! ( Ice Beam of Kyurem Black pass Thick Fat ) He can also KO Mega Pinsir who is more than dangerous for your team.
Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Dragon Claw

4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 232 HP / 4 SpD Mega Venusaur: 194-230 (54 - 64%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 248 HP / 92 SpD Amoonguss: 246-290 (57 - 67.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Black Sludge recovery
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 438-516 (147.4 - 173.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Dragon Claw vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Charizard X: 290-344 (97.6 - 115.8%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 306-362 (94.4 - 111.7%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Fusion Bolt vs. 96 HP / 0- Def Tornadus-T: 358-422 (110.8 - 130.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Thundurus: 272-324 (90.9 - 108.3%) -- 50% chance to OHKO
252 Atk Teravolt Kyurem-B Outrage vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Thundurus: 321-378 (107.3 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
4 SpA Teravolt Kyurem-B Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Pinsir: 248-294 (91.5 - 108.4%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Now your team is more solide, and you have new solutions for threaths. I hope I helped you good, and I hope change will be help you :)
Thanks for the reply and rate! :) Happy that I got a constructive response (and also happy that your response showed me how to name the drop boxes).

Wow, I completely forgot about Mega Pinsir... that really can do a number on my team if I don't gimp it or maim it quickly. Nothing is outright outspeed-OHKOd, but I'd basically have to sac a 'Mon and then pray that I can revenge kill with a full-health attacker or my priority users. Keldeo and Gengar can kill it outright, Dragonite and Heatran can do some serious damage, and Mega Scizor and Serperior can get in a supporting last hurrah for the team.

I'll definitely play around with that (I actually tried Kyurem-B as a Keldeo replacement, but going double dragon made Fairy teams obnoxious). Would you recommend changing Keldeo to account for the KyuB?

Additionally, are there any changes with my current Pokemon's sets that you would recommend? I like that my Diffraction theme survived all the team editing.

Last edited:
In your set, I've some question, why 29 IV HP on gengar ? Put 31 mate
I think too Toxic on Roar on Tran it's better but like you want.
And yes, I think now the best way it's to put your keldeo on Choice Specs, you need a good water type and your team and Keldeo is fine !

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Electric / Icy wind / Focus Blast

Last move is like you want, if you want hp elec then put him, but Icy winf for switch in Ti@s or Focus Blast to just destroy team can be used :) I hope this help you[/hide]

In your set, I've some question, why 29 IV HP on gengar ? Put 31 mate
I think too Toxic on Roar on Tran it's better but like you want.
And yes, I think now the best way it's to put your keldeo on Choice Specs, you need a good water type and your team and Keldeo is fine !

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Hidden Power Electric / Icy wind / Focus Blast

Last move is like you want, if you want hp elec then put him, but Icy winf for switch in Ti@s or Focus Blast to just destroy team can be used :) I hope this help you[/hide]
The 29 IVs give Gengar a Life Orb HP number! It makes you take minimal damage from Life Orb, allowing you to successfully attack a maximum of eleven times instead of ten.

Okay, thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)