Does a Blue Walrus Exist? - Won by Da Letter El

Number 7:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Main Theme-Nobuo Uematsu
Submitted by shubaka174
6.9/10
I didn't really pay much attention to this when I played smash since I didn't really play a lot of it but, damn, I laughed so hard at this when I had to listen to this again. Its so funny that we have a choir and an orchestra for an opening theme of a game where characters from different video games bashing each other up. Something serious for something whimsical, I like it.

shubaka's comments:y'all this song fuckin played on REPEAT in my house back when brawl was new. my brothers and i loved this game so much we would do 99life brawls on ice climber's mountain with random characters and it would be a blast every time. you just knew one of those fuckers was gonna get samus and camp the corner, and whichever character my older brother got was going to suddenly become an unstoppable phenom in the air. grand chorus helps its case a substantial amount.

Number 6:
The Seatbelts-Tank(Cowboy Beebop OP)
Submitted by Martin
7.2/10
Ah, more jazz, and this one has a lot more meat to it. Its faster than the last jazz sub, and also has a kickass sax solo. Good use of the brass instruments, good harmony, great stuff here.

Number 5:
Kakegurui OP theme- Deal with a Devil
Submitted by Lil Bean
7.5/10
I had mixed feelings about the vocals in this song. At some points the singer sounds like she's off pitch or drags it a bit, but other times she's spot on. I know she is trying to sound seductive but it really takes away the tune. Peppy jazz stuff is always good haha. The sax being the bass for some parts of the song is really cool.
Had to listen to this song to get used to the vocals but it grew on me. Love the bass and the piano rolls later on in the song.

Lil Bean's comments:
it’s v catchy and fast paced
It’s also been one of my favs for a while
I don’t mind when it comes on
I’m more submitting this based on my tastes than urs sry

Last edited:
Number 4:
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Opening Theme
Submitted by KnightsoCydonia
8.4/10
This may seem like an odd placement for this sub, but that's because I felt so much from so little. The instruments are different from any other sub in this cat and the singer's voice is beautiful. Bringing in a second voice to harmonize the first in the middle of the song is great, as well as the bagpipe in the middle. Its hard to explain why this is 4th but the top 3 either have better singers or they have a good beat.

Number 3:
Nujabes-Battlecry(Samurai Champloo OP)
Submitted by Robert Alfons
Tight hiphop beat and a good rap, along with a great dreamy background. Those minimalist piano and guitar notes are really awesome. I really liked the lyrics of this rap, but I wish there was more modulation in the pitch by the rapper. Liked this one more than I had expected.

Number 2:
Inner Universe(Ghost in the Shell Opening)
Submitted by myzozoa
9.2/10
The singer's voice is too good in this one. Couple that with trance and electronica sound effects and this one has me hooked. The background is minimalistic so its all on the singer to do justice to this song and she does. Dammit, I need to listen to more of Yoko Kanno now.

Annnnnnnnd we have our winner for this category:
Fox Capture plan-The beginning of a myth
Submited by Walrein
9.3/10
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH that 6/8 timing. Lots of musical interest here. Drummer is tight with this one. Really good jazz chords on the piano. Great violin and bass melodies. Finally,thank goodness this is not an anime OP sub.

Walrein's comments:
i don't watch super hipster anime
so all my anime OPs are super basic
so i was like
nah

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Just listening to some of the stuff that beat Tank! now and my god the Kakekaguri OP is fucking stellar dear god. I am not mad about losing to this.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
For bookkeeping and not at all to brag for winning whatsoever:

Cat 10:

1st place: DLE and LG - 9 points - Pokémon Reborn: Jumper (go to 18:00)

3rd place: Steven Snype - 8.9 points - idk

4th place: Lil Bean - 8.4 points - Bye Bye Butterfree

5th place: Zeonth - 7.6 points - Evil Celebi

6th place: shubaka17 - 7 points - idk

7th place: KoC - 6.5 points - Floette in X/Y

8th place: myzozoa - 6.4 points - idk

9th place: Walrein - 6 points - an opening battle to one of the movies

10th place: S0L1D G0LD - 5.5 points - Probably the Pikachu crying scene from the first movie

11th place: Granny Pie - 5 points - Pachirisu in World Championship finals

12th place: RODAN - 4 points - Pokémon Master Quest OP (I Believe)

13th place: Robert Alfons - 1 point - idk

Martin, Old Gregg and Aladynn didn't sub.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)