[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

Went into the 1600s dumpster after the second day of competition, but managed to finish in the low 1700s with relatively decent 30-15. Kind of crazy the kind of variance you sometimes get with this format — I had a game where I had to run out the clock on a Calm Mind Clefable to win, and the very next game I finished in under 2 minutes. Anyway, MVP goes to Kangaskhan, who soloed a few Heracrosses and a Machamp, while oneshotting every Nidoking starter and Scizor (who people switched in to wall it).

no dragonite.png

edit: only had one person disconnect against me, which is pretty amazing in my book.

Last edited:
My absolute MVP was without a doubt Unaware Quagsire,
I'll have to find time to watch your videos.

Quagsire was one of my best as well. The only reason I made it to the end of this stall battle.

G92G-WWWW-WW46-6X89

I so wish I kept Encore on Quagsire over Yawn. I managed once to get Yawn and sleep to stop my opponent from being able to rest, but after that 1 time as soon as I used Yawn he was resting off damage before he fell asleep.

I believe the only reason I lost this battle was due to the damage done to my Scizor. I had plenty of PP left and I know he was out of Sleep Talk PP, and I thought he was out of Rest PP as well, so that is why I decided to use Recover at the end, thinking he would attack and I could heal and he would have the lower HP.

I am not sure exactly how wins are determined when time runs out.

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Been incredibly busy the last few days and didn't have much time to throw a team together for this competition either but hey guess I can still have some fun. How much time is left before the johto classic ends?

Now this is weird...last night I fought 12 battles, but didn't do any further knowing that I can carry my battles into the last day (today). I just finished 3 battles today, and I got a message saying that I can't participate in any battles anymore...thereby ending my run since today is the last day! What's going on here? I thought any battles you didn't complete get carried over?

EDIT: I figured it; I made an error in time zone calculation. Turns out I started my battles past midnight on Sunday UTC which for me was still Sat night. So my run is indeed over. Will post my thoughts later!

Last edited:

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So here's my team

Sadly, Johto Classic has ended up being one of my worst tournament runs, ending up with around 1650-1660 total. I started out great and hit about 1750, but I had so much bad luck that I lost around 100 points x_x. If it weren't for that, I totally would have hit pass 1800!

Regardless though, my god Specs Dragonite and CB Azumarill where great. I was consistently screwing over their checks, which won me a ton of games! Despite the sour end, I still really enjoyed my time with Johto Classic, hope gamefreak does these tournaments for all the older gens!

Well I finished my battling and I'm disappointed with my results.
Day 1: 7-8 Day 2: 7-8 Day 3: 8-7
Competition total: 22-23
I could have done much better if I made some better plays and didn't miss as many moves (I think that Fire Blast hit about as much as it missed).

I also saw some interesting strategies. There was someone who ran a Persian only with fake out and last resort. Through all my matched I only ran into one sheer cold Suicune (which hit with sheer cold on its first try unfortunately)

I haven't started battling after my disappointing round on Friday. Puts me just above 1500 I hope. Poor performance, I'll have to think what I do for the next one.

We did it DragonWhale. The legend is here.
The Focus Sash was actually a placeholder for a Choice Scarf, which I didn't feel like grinding Maison for. Pretty nice as a replacement, though.

Your team does not look bad. I myself would remove some of the fluff and put another attack. Like I know with Skarmory Spikes may be a wasted slot, ability would be better as Sturdy. I am not sure what your IVs are, but in level 50 battles making sure your EVs match up to the IVs. Rash is also a nature that promotes negative growth to Special Defense, but you then have 252 EVs in SpD.

Reading up on breeding mechanics and IVs/EVs may be helpful.

Please don't take what I said as a negative. I am not an expert on battling. I do like that you used Tyranitar in a support role. In a 3v3 Stealth Rock is not needed as much, which could free up a move slot to add Earthquake or another coverage move. I would keep Roar though, as it removes Pokémon that think they can setup on Ttar.
I do try to look up proper natures when I'm building up a new battler - since the Skarmory I got in Wonder Trade had a nature that was negative for SpD I tried to balance it out with SpD EVs. I'm interested in the idea of Spikes as a wasted slot though - normally I'd breed for Whirlwind+Spikes on Skarmory, but would that be overkill if I already have TT or another lead using Stealth Rock?

Bad natures on Tyranitar, Skarmory & Heracross kill any great chances because I assume you haven't bred for IVs. You have to assume that everything you face us perfect.

It's not viable. At this point you're playing for fun.
Yeah, I was really only building this team for fun, not for tons of wins. I don't know if it's realistic for me to breed for IVs unless I somehow happen upon a perfect ditto. Right now I only have one ditto & it's far from perfect (since I'm working from only White+OR). Will definitely breed them for proper natures, though. :)

Thanks for the tips. Next team I post will *not* have these mistakes. ^.^

So! My battles have been completed and here's the fallout:

Day 1: 11-4 (my best one day results, ever!)
Day 2: 9-6
Day 3: 8-7

Day 3 was definitely the roughest, accounting for the fact I was placed against higher ranked players. I saw a lot of what I was expecting to see thanks to a lot of PS practice, but I was also surprised by the lack of certain cores compared to PS, BP+Moody Smeargle and Espeon comes to mind. I saw a ton of people with Quagsires on their team but not a single opponent used one on me (my theory is they were hesitant to bring it after seeing I had Venusaur on my team, muahaha). Clefables were everywhere, as well as Dragonites, Azumarills, Scizors and the three legendary dogs. Generally, when I lost it was because my opponent brought it the exact Pokemon to counter my team and exploit my weaknesses. Less often (but salt inducing) were when I could have won, but lost to bad luck (ex. a crucial Fire Blast missing against an opponent's Scizor who was able to finish my weakened Ninetales with a Technician, Banded Iron Head).

All in all, this is my best showing in any of these PGL competitions, and I've been playing them since inception. Johto being my favorite region was also just icing on the cake because I was able to use my all-time favorite mon on my team (Espeon).

Looking forward to the next one for sure. If current course is to be expected, the Hoenn Classic will be forthcoming and will be Doubles; my weakest format to play in. Hopefully I can get a lot of practice in for it like I was able to for this. Good luck to everyone else still playing and hope you have fun!

My team:

P.S. Here are some of my favorites battles for viewing; feel free to comment/critique!

LQ7G-WWWW-WW45-QH3K
MXDG-WWWW-WW46-CFR4

Last edited:
This tournament made me so salty. Here is my team and a quick analysis:
Johto classic.jpg

- Lum berry azumarill against Wow and sacred fire entei and other status.
- Life Orb Scizor, usually my win condition after sword dance
- Piloswine, icicle spear against dragonite and subs. Roar against suicune and clef. Ice shard for priority.
- Dragonite in specs! This WAS THE BEST! Skarm was destroyed by Flamethower. Thunderbolt killed suicune in 2 turns and azumarill in 1 (except assault). Quagsire and arcanine were no match for Draco meteor. Venusaur and clef got GG from Hurricane.
- Gengar. Say hello to my smeargle + Espeon counter. Safety google protected against spore, taunt to stop baton pass. The idea was simple: when I saw at team preview smeargle and espeon, I usually started with dragonite to defeat his/her first pokemon. Then Smeargle come out. I switch to gengar to take the spore. Sometimes my opponent do quiver dance or geomancy, and not spore. Because it will be faster for a baton pass, I do clear smog to erase all the stats. Battled against 4 smeargle+espeon teams. Beated them all.
- Raikou Stall. Not Sp. Atk investment. Did good job against fat teams.

But I did 29-16. Seriously, I counted 5 fair loss. The other was pure hax! Freezing against porygon2 in first turn. Missing draco meteor 3 times in a row. Play rough missed a lot, and cost the battle. A japanese that critted my azumarill and critted my dragonite in a row, after taking its life orb away. Sheer cold suicune hitting twice.

I took too many crits at this tournament, I dont know if GF did something or I got a very bad lucky. I made this team to beat the common threats, I did ranked at showdown even few days before the beginning of the Johto Classic. Too bad, anyways, it made me salty, it happens..:/

Best intense battle, please watch if you got time: QMEG-WWWW-WW46-CHG5

So far i had a lot of luck in the tournament and i am surprised i didnt see anyone mentioning crobat, because man in this meta it is so good.
Crobat @ sharpbeak
252 speed 20 def 232 attack
Brave bird
Uturn
Taunt
Roost

Kills espeon, gengar, alakazam and anything not resisting in one hit. Usually other pokes are 2 or 3 hit koed. bb hits everything harder with a sb than the other moves it can learn. I ran crobat, ddnite, azu, cb scizor, gengar (rarely used him) and av champ. Really nice competition.

Just found out i forgot lum on dnite :(

Last edited:
I had so much fun in this tournament. I have to echo what a few have said but I really struggled on the last day today too. I guess a lot of people knew what to expect from certain Pokémon at that point. I was more often than not checked by my opponents team choices right off the bat. I had an amazing first day run though so never mind.

Here's my team:

Machamp really was the star here, he took down so many Pokémon and really did the work while Dragonite cleaned up. Snorlax was crucial as a special wall too. Piloswine was great as a last ditch attempt with Fissure spam. I didn't really use Venusaur and wish I'd have gone for a Zapdos or something.

Here are a few of my favorite videos:

WE5W-WWWW-WW46-CR2J
YD5W-WWWW-WW46-CQVN - I could have made a cleaner KO with the Skarmory, but total Machamp domination.
47LG-WWWW-WW46-CR3Q - Confuse off, Machamp VS Machamp!
DN5G-WWWW-WW46-CS4J - This player was toying with me and all the hax going on from both sides, I let out a squeal when the Clefable was mercilessly KOed.

The Focus Sash was actually a placeholder for a Choice Scarf, which I didn't feel like grinding Maison for. Pretty nice as a replacement, though.

I do try to look up proper natures when I'm building up a new battler - since the Skarmory I got in Wonder Trade had a nature that was negative for SpD I tried to balance it out with SpD EVs. I'm interested in the idea of Spikes as a wasted slot though - normally I'd breed for Whirlwind+Spikes on Skarmory, but would that be overkill if I already have TT or another lead using Stealth Rock?

Yeah, I was really only building this team for fun, not for tons of wins. I don't know if it's realistic for me to breed for IVs unless I somehow happen upon a perfect ditto. Right now I only have one ditto & it's far from perfect (since I'm working from only White+OR). Will definitely breed them for proper natures, though. :)

Thanks for the tips. Next team I post will *not* have these mistakes. ^.^
Just get a perfect Ditto from the Wifi section.

Last day? Hell, I'll go online and wreck some people's ratings last minute with retarded shit; believe it or not, I did not run Arbok this time!
My rating is like 1540 or something, only have one or two matches in, so I'll look as bad as I actually am.

edit:
5-0, at least 1572 ranking now. Mutiple 3-0 victories.
Will post team later, calling it quits while I still hold my undefeated title. lol.

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question, but how do I use those codes to view your replays? I tried up the Vs. Recorder but that didn't seem to be the way lol. Thanks in advance.
First, make sure you are connected to the internet on the PSS. Then you use the vs recorder and press search by code and enter the code to view the replay. The button doesn't appear if you are not connected to the internet, which is probably the reason you're having trouble.

This was my team

Well. This was my first 3v3 competition. I played the Flash Clash before and only got time to train a single Togekiss. Now I had a nice team tested in the showdown and it worked a lot. Well, it intensified my fears also and some late changes on the team were not very intelligent in hindsight.
1st day - 10-5 - Crazy paced and with a lot of errors I got my best harvest
2nd day - 6 - 9 - Well, I played the first hour of second day and got what I deserved. I won 5 times, reached 1620 and my team was beaten 6 times in a row and then again 3 times.
3rd day - 9 - 6 - I was determined to best my Flash Clash record and got depressed when I lost twice. Then I got a nice 7 win streak and lost and won through the rest of the games.
Grand total: 25 - 20

Bottomline: it was really fun and the matches difficult to predict. Smogon giveaways were the stars of my team, specially a Shiny Azumarill and an Adamant Entei.

Videos:
MNHW-WWWW-WW46-DJUU (Gengar, Azumarill, Dragonite)
QM7W-WWWW-WW46-DKWL (Zapdos, Suicune, Entei)

Last edited:
So here's my team

Sadly, Johto Classic has ended up being one of my worst tournament runs, ending up with around 1650-1660 total. I started out great and hit about 1750, but I had so much bad luck that I lost around 100 points x_x. If it weren't for that, I totally would have hit pass 1800!

Regardless though, my god Specs Dragonite and CB Azumarill where great. I was consistently screwing over their checks, which won me a ton of games! Despite the sour end, I still really enjoyed my time with Johto Classic, hope gamefreak does these tournaments for all the older gens!
Fairly certain I faced you earlier on today (and lost pretty convincingly XD). That dragonite caught me completely offguard, wp

zero2exe

Veteran Breeder - Expert Translator
is a Contributor Alumnus
Managed to playa few matches (was counting from the past competition lol)
Edit: Score = 9-5. Technically 10-5 since it didn't seem to record my 15th win due to ending the match after the deadline *sigh* Also lost one to a random disconnect .-.
Here's my team:

Despite the lack of preparation and the rush to build the team I can't complain it ended up doing fairly well. Quagsire was by far the MVP of the team, often winning stall wars. Azumarill was supposed to have ice punch > superpower however it turned out for the best as it allowed me to OHKO a Snorlax before it could do more damage to my team. Espeon didn't get that much use however from the few smeargle teams none of them dared to bring their baton passers to the match, also specs psyshock was no joke and managed to sweep a whole team on it's own.

Overall the most difficult matchups came from Sheer Cold Suicune which were 2 of my loses since my team really couldn't handle it very well, also gengar was quite the pest specially when I didn't bring Scizor/Azu to deal with it. My third loss was from bringing the wrong pokemon to the match and got outplayed by what I suspected was a scarf heracross way too late.

Here are some of my replays:
FZ3G - WWWW - WW46 - EXHW (misplayed by bringing zapdos, but then my opponent mispredicted against my scizor which in the end costed him the match)
4XPW - WWWW - WW46 - E25A (Piloswine tanking like a champ)
BXKG - WWWW - WW46 - E2G4 (I mispredicted twice here, first thinking his dragonite was specs and then switching out azumarill, in the end Rain Dance worked better for me than for my opponent)

Last edited:
First, make sure you are connected to the internet on the PSS. Then you use the vs recorder and press search by code and enter the code to view the replay. The button doesn't appear if you are not connected to the internet, which is probably the reason you're having trouble.
Nah I used that function but it kept saying the video couldn't be found. I only tried 2 or 3. I should probably give it another try lol.

I ended up 30-15. For my first competition I'm pretty happy. I wish I had performed a little better a few times and many loses were very close but it was a lot of fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of Fun! My final score was 1720~ with my top score being 1780~
31-14

My team was really Weak to Sub users and pressure Stalling. Dragonite and Azu where everywhere.

Alright, time for me to share my thoughts, Team and maybe some Replays.
Since I didn't have time to play just until today, I faced a lot of 1700+ people (as well as more <1500 ones than I expected), but oh well still got some wins and I am okay with my overall result despite starting and finishing the competition on a loss.
My team might seem like a bunch of 'just' strong Pokemon thrown together, but I actually considered quite a few others and testing out some things on PS! I ended up with not feeling confident about my Ideas and fell back on these. I changed my last Pokemon shortly before the competition, a decision that I regret since Gengar was a wasted teamslot because the other 5 could handle most of the stuff it could do and more, only getting 2 matches at all. Piloswine was the MVP for me, a few matches I didn't pick it were lost when Piloswine probably would've handled things like LO Zapdos or some Raikous much better. Sleep Talk on Zapdos was wasted, I have seen literally one Hypnosis and no other sleep moves used on me, I rather missed Toxic a lot, or even Roar at that. In the end I enjoyed preparing and playing Johto Classic even with some annoying stuff running around (I'm looking at you, Moody Octillery!).
W/L: 28-17, ~1670

Piloswine @ Eviolite
Thick Fat
Adamant 252HP/252Atk/4Def
Ice Shard
Avalanche
Earthquake
Freeze-Dry
The Set from a few pages before. Freeze-Dry is personal preference, but i guess it won me a match against a Curse Quagsire and did good damage to a Gyara, one Kingdra as well as chip damage on other water types, mainly physically defensive Suicunes. An Electric Immunity was very handy to have overall, and Piloswine 3-0'd or 2-0'd occasionally.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Technician
Adamant 252HP/252Atk/4Spe
Bullet Punch
Knock Off
U-Turn
Superpower
Leading with a CB U-Turn on good matchups pretty much turned things to my favor, also nailed Espeons, Umbreons, Zams and Tyranitars for me(or at least with another Priority move from Azu/Dnite/Pilo following up). I miss some more spammable coverage on Scizor, but it did the Jobs it was supposed to do very well.

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Huge Power
Adamant 132HP/252Atk/124Spe
Aqua Jet
Belly Drum
Play Rough
Waterfall
Enough Speed to outspeed 0Speed-EV Scizor to have better chances on not getting killed by a Bullet Punch while attempting to sweep. The HP investment still let it live some cool stuff and I pulled off some sweeps, but most of the time it just attacked than setting up a Belly Drum.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Static
Modest 220HP/4Def/252SpA/32Spe
Thunderbolt
Heatwave
Sleep Talk
Roost
The Speed invest lets it outspeed ColdCune and max speed neutral Cloyster and Magneton without sacrificing too much bulk. Sleep Talk was completely useless on cart, lost matches to opposing Zapdos because I lacked Toxic. Overall still a solid addition to my team and the only Fire move user since I took Fire Punch from Dnite. Static was great in such a physically heavy competition.

Dragonite @ Lum Berry
Multiscale
Adamant 252Atk/4SpD/252Spe
Outrage
Dragon Dance
Extreme Speed
Earthquake
Standard Dragonite, only used it on 1/3rd of my matches since most teams were well prepared. A secondary Earthquake was useful though when Piloswine otherwise would've had to handle all three Pokemon and adamant still has decent damage output even when there is no opportunity to set up.

Gengar @ Focus Sash
Levitate
Timid 252SpA/4SpD/252Spe
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Destiny Bond
Originally my teamslot to handle lead Machamp and some cheesy strats, but then I just put in Gengar and almost never used it. Also haven't had time to get one BR with Disable which would've been kinda cool to use.

EDIT: Looking at some replays I saved, I didn't deserve to have that W/L lol. Probably made some people hating me for my luck.

2JVG-WWWW-WW46-G48N - Dragonite lives a (looking at some calcs min-roll) HP Ice from Scarf Magneton with 1HP after not having a good answer to Lanturn in Rain.
NK2W-WWWW-WW46-G4FZ - God, how much did I wish for myself to have put Toxic on my Zapdos in this game. Lost to a stalling Zapdos.
X63G-WWWW-WW46-FUPY - Two freezes in a row from Suicune's Ice Beam. The opponent either missclicked or overpredicted badly in this game, and luckily Zapdos thawed the right moment to still win.
DGQG-WWWW-WW46-FUZQ - Moody. If I would've seen more of these teams I probably would've stopped playing. Ofc the evasion boost comes first turn and i could hit myself for not clicking Freeze-Dry but switching out. I first wondered why that player had such a high score...
A9FG-WWWW-WW46-FSPH - 8 scalds without burn. Fun :D (I really want to know how the player looked after i won this game lol)
GC6W-WWWW-WW46-G2ZE - Quagsire, Snorlax and Dragonite. I loved it when people were more or less unprepared for Piloswine, essentially doing its job against Quagsire and Dnite without breaking a sweat.

Very few people had a good answer to Piloswine that weren't handled by Zapdos or Scizor. I lost a few games to strong sets I did not expect to give me that much trouble, like Life-Orb Ninetales (didn't bring Dragonite to tank with Multiscale and KO'ing with EQ) and Life-Orb Zapdos (Sadly didn't bring Piloswine so I got straight 3-0'd), deciding matches when I expected other Pokemon to come in on preview. I never got to see a Clefable or Smeargle past team preview, Sub/Protect Beasts (more than once with Toxic) were annoying and mostly won against me, and when Piloswine had to tank a Dragonite already, Pokemon like Arcanine, Entei, Zapdos, Raikou and Nidoking got really tough to handle. Overall a cool tournament and another motivation boost to play more Battle Spot/competitive in general to get rid of all those dumb mistakes I still do :D

I really hope for GF to come up with more fun competitions - that aren't VGC16 - in the future, I really enjoy them a lot.

Last edited:
Had fun, was my first time doing competitive battling, went 18-14, left Sunday too late so only got in 2 games before the end.

Ended up playing TheMantyke and Nelson Tangela's Drizzlenite team, big thanks for them for sharing it on the RMT forums.

The MVP of the team was definitely Piloswine, this little guy put in a ton of work. Especially Fissure RNGing those annoying Minimize Clefables.

Looking forward to any Hoenn or Sinnoh Classic if they come along.

Johto Classic.png

Azumarill: fuckawesome and amazing, Waterfall + Aqua Jet is a 1-2 punch that seriously fucks up anything not immune to it / stupidly fat + resistant.

Venusaur: old set out of an old Doubles team; intended for Mega but works non-Mega. Still Leech Seed stalls like a bitch, took out one foe 3-0: lead with Venusaur, never switched.

Alakazam: Excellent pokemon; horrible moveset. Used it in 3/5 matches, just saw a lot less Chansey / P2 / Piloswine / Dnite / Gatr / Gyarados than I expected. Not gonna lie though: the poor bastard who lead his Sash Aerodactyl against my Zammy deserved some pity, I Specs locked him into Hone Claws (I assume for Stone Edge spam) and I got a free, 100% HP Sash Zammy and a free turn.

Dragonite: Never used it. All it ever did was bait foes to bring every Steel / Fairy mon on the team, just for Venusaur to troll.

Scizor: Killed a Charizard and Heat Wave Zapdos after Machamp / Zammy chipped everything. Click Bullet Punch to win.

Machamp: At least 2 things died to his fists or almighty Stone Edge pelvic thrust every match. 12/10, would recommend. Never used Ice Punch, idk why it knew it. It was sitting in my box so I threw it in the battle box assuming it was good. Or even an AV set. lol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)