[DONE] JOHTO CLASSIC - Post your results!

Demantoid

APMS Founder
is a Top Tiering Contributor
What's the status on using legal hacks in tournaments? In this Classic I've fought quite a few shinies that seemed to have the right IVs where they needed them.
Not all shinies with perfect stats are hacks because of the TSV thing. It's just that the people on WT/GTS aren't really trustworthy. This competition also allowed pokemon from past gens so rng was a thing too.

Not all shinies with perfect stats are hacks because of the TSV thing. It's just that the people on WT/GTS aren't really trustworthy. This competition also allowed pokemon from past gens so rng was a thing too.
Ah yes, good point. I forgot about past gen mons being allowed and RNG so that makes total sense. TSV I didn't know about and had to look up; very interesting!

So, I went into this expecting Dnite and huge power Azu to be the "thing" I didn't have time to breed much new, but I made sure you to crank out HP ice ever(for a jolteon) and just EV trained other stuff I had lying around.
I had Gengar(sashed) s ball, d bond, energy ball, focus blast
Jolteon (specs) volt switch, t bolt, swift HP ice
And everyone else seemed like a random redshirt:
Golem, weak armor kabutops with assault vest, articuno, marowak
With more time, I would have cranked out another K-tops with battle armor (opted away from rain team when I realized I couldn't breed the intended toad or kingdra in time) and finished a porygon 2 with evolite.

I finished in I think 15's, but having such a crap team (the Gengar and leading jolteon did virtually everything ) I got thrashed. Most often, Cloyster meant it was over. Skill link spear kills after shell smash. Weak armor against non shell smash is "I get one more hit b4 I'm dead, but I have +5 speed..." It obviously was intended to nix sturdy, sash, dragons, and ground, but ouch, no answer. Ate Azu and Dnite for breakfast, on had issue with Tyranitar once (volt switch into focus blast they don't live through, so if they were scarfed and used quake jolteon hlbit the dust n my gengars speed didnt beat a switch)
But Quagsire was rough once, espeon one of 3 encounters mattered.. .
Wish there were more non-megastone, non legend limited pool events like this. Lots if fun, would a hit higher with3-4 good Mons.

QUESTION: what's the rough timeline for these tournaments, ie. results/prizes, the announcement of the next one, etc. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

zapzap29

The obssessive man of passion
QUESTION: what's the rough timeline for these tournaments, ie. results/prizes, the announcement of the next one, etc. ?
Usually results are tallied after about a week or so and the participation event codes are sent out soon afterwards. I'm still horribly disappointed that they gave us Whitney's Miltank instead of the legendary Johto Trio with the their hidden abilities. At least Lance's Dragonite was useful/cool. Miltank is just remembered because of how annoying it was, it's not interesting or useful at all.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
4. Discussing exploits or glitches, cheating on the ladder, hacked Pokemon or hacking, disconnecting, or any other method of dishonest or unsportsmanlike conduct are forbidden and will be severely disciplined. As a guideline, anything that would not be acceptable on the Wi-Fi forum with regards to in-game activity is not acceptable here. We will offer avenues of obtaining free legit Pokemon for battling use, so laziness is not an excuse to hack. P.S. RNG abused or cloned Pokemon are not hacks, timer stall is not an exploit.
I know this is referring to actually discussing how to do it, but we don't need a lengthy discusion about the ethics of it either. It was actually a healthy discussion until we started to just flame Nintendo / TPCi for it so I decided to just delete it all. But in the future I'd rather not talk about it at all, just answer the guy's question and leave it. If you wanna talk about it then visit our room on PS. It's kinda like how you aren't allowed to speculate / wishlist in Orange Islands but you can do it on their IRC channel all you want.

I am a little late, but I thought I would still share the sand team.

13-9 after only 22 battles. I actually did not think I would see 10 wins.

jcjd0.png

Usually results are tallied after about a week or so and the participation event codes are sent out soon afterwards. I'm still horribly disappointed that they gave us Whitney's Miltank instead of the legendary Johto Trio with the their hidden abilities. At least Lance's Dragonite was useful/cool. Miltank is just remembered because of how annoying it was, it's not interesting or useful at all.
Dragonite was pretty meh but at least it had a unique move. The Miltank is just poo. Well, Miltank itself is pretty good, imo, just not the event itself. xD
Johto Dogs would of been too amazing, it'll probably be another code event like the Birds that they'll jip me on. Again.
no-mega tourneys like this one really shows how broken Knock Off is after the Steel nerf and virtually no sponges though. I dunno about everyone else but I spammed it a lot :P
Only complaint on this tourney is I only had 6 team slots, I wanted to bring Muk, 'Gatr, Nidoking, Magmar (Eviolite + Barrier + massive Burn spam is funny shit) and all kinds of stuff but for some dumb reason I picked actually viable things like Azu + Nite + Scizor.

Threw six buddies in the box real quick, it turned out to be half loop half popular ones.
Minimize wasn't used... meant to replace.
Venusaur with Earthquake was main concern (didn't battle any), among other things.

woah, i'm pretty late in this. I just saw it now x|

I finished at 1710 with a 31-14 score, using assist Persian/Ditto/ dark void Smeargle/ lum Scizor/ chestorest Quagsire/ specs Zapdos

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
woah, i'm pretty late in this. I just saw it now x|

I finished at 1710 with a 31-14 score, using assist Persian/Ditto/ dark void Smeargle/ lum Scizor/ chestorest Quagsire/ specs Zapdos
Did you get to spam Persian a lot? I'm interested because I bombed out but you seemed to do quite well with it.

I got utterly destroyed this time around. With the singles sudden death I did plenty great mind games and decision making wise, and my pokemon felt strong. Would've ended high 1700s if I stopped after day 1.

But this one was a slaughter against me from the start. Ended up low 1400s with less than 5 wins and more than 20 losses before I quit.

Just seemed like my team overall couldn't deal much damage, perhaps I overestimated it.
- All Outrage Dragonites completely sweeped my teams. Even had two moments where Sneasel would start against it and for whatever reason Fake Out did not make the enemy Dragonite flinch. *WUT*
- Had nothing to deal with the two Quags I did encounter, Toxic/Recover is bane. I admit that was mostly from not expecting that many Quags.
- Trying to figure out a few games, where clearly slower pokemon outsped mine. A snorlax was faster than my 252 Jolly Dragonite, A Zapdos was faster than my 252 Timid Jolteon. (Neither opposing Pokemon had Choice)

Wondering if someone with more experience could point out some glaring issues with the team.

I know this is referring to actually discussing how to do it, but we don't need a lengthy discusion about the ethics of it either. It was actually a healthy discussion until we started to just flame Nintendo / TPCi for it so I decided to just delete it all. But in the future I'd rather not talk about it at all, just answer the guy's question and leave it. If you wanna talk about it then visit our room on PS. It's kinda like how you aren't allowed to speculate / wishlist in Orange Islands but you can do it on their IRC channel all you want.
Understood. My sincere apologies.

zapzap29

I got utterly destroyed this time around. With the singles sudden death I did plenty great mind games and decision making wise, and my pokemon felt strong. Would've ended high 1700s if I stopped after day 1.

But this one was a slaughter against me from the start. Ended up low 1400s with less than 5 wins and more than 20 losses before I quit.

Just seemed like my team overall couldn't deal much damage, perhaps I overestimated it.
- All Outrage Dragonites completely sweeped my teams. Even had two moments where Sneasel would start against it and for whatever reason Fake Out did not make the enemy Dragonite flinch. *WUT*
- Had nothing to deal with the two Quags I did encounter, Toxic/Recover is bane. I admit that was mostly from not expecting that many Quags.
- Trying to figure out a few games, where clearly slower pokemon outsped mine. A snorlax was faster than my 252 Jolly Dragonite, A Zapdos was faster than my 252 Timid Jolteon. (Neither opposing Pokemon had Choice)

Wondering if someone with more experience could point out some glaring issues with the team.

I think part of the problem is that your team doesn't really have any good win conditions. Like you said, a lot of your pokemon don't hit very hard at all and besides Cloyster you don't have a lot of ways to dish out a lot of damage. Your team also looks like it's massively weak to a lot of common threats. Unaware Min Clef, Dragon Dance/Scarf Tar, and Azumarill would punch holes in a lot of your pokemon. To get around that I'd recommend making your Dragonite into either the DD set or the Choice Band set. I'd also put a Choice Specs on Jolteon or replace it altogether with Raikou, Espeon, or Alakazam. I'd probably also swap out Sneasel since you already have Cloyster and replace it with something that gives your team a little more power and general coverage. Maybe a spinner like Starmie or Tentacruel because your team looks massively weak to rocks.

Did you get to spam Persian a lot? I'm interested because I bombed out but you seemed to do quite well with it.
Not at all, i used him 5-6 times on 45 games doing really bad with it (something like 1-4 or 1-5). Sleep always lasted 1, max 2 turns, while confusion was not working at all. So i dropped it..
From the persian/smeargle/ditto core i used alot ditto, with quagsire and zapdos. It was a decent answer to DDDnite and similar

I think part of the problem is that your team doesn't really have any good win conditions. Like you said, a lot of your pokemon don't hit very hard at all and besides Cloyster you don't have a lot of ways to dish out a lot of damage. Your team also looks like it's massively weak to a lot of common threats. Unaware Min Clef, Dragon Dance/Scarf Tar, and Azumarill would punch holes in a lot of your pokemon. To get around that I'd recommend making your Dragonite into either the DD set or the Choice Band set. I'd also put a Choice Specs on Jolteon or replace it altogether with Raikou, Espeon, or Alakazam. I'd probably also swap out Sneasel since you already have Cloyster and replace it with something that gives your team a little more power and general coverage. Maybe a spinner like Starmie or Tentacruel because your team looks massively weak to rocks.
I must admit that those common threats were ones I seldom faced (Never saw a Clef, Tar was always Sneaseled).
But many more uncommon such as the ones I listed had me stuck.

I feel as if Cloyster wasn't pulling her weight.
Jolly
108 HP/252 Atk/4 Def/4 SpD/140 Spe

Should she have had a different spread? She seldom survived the shell smash to sweep with it.
And without shell smash did negligible damage.

Dragonite's main Ability is Inner Focus, which prevents Flinching.

zapzap29

Rankings for the competition are up now.

About what I expected. I'm glad to have gotten into the top 200, though I feel that I could have done a bit better. Just got to strive to do better for the next competition.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm #856 in the world. YIKES, that was not a good tournament run rofl. Wonder where I would have placed if I kept charging towards 1800 instead of collapsing down to 1652... Oh well, time to claim my Miltank and see if there's anything strange about its IVs like there was for Lance's Dragonite!

I waited to post this time to make sure they didn't remove me from the ladder again, but I finished 17-6 with 1640.

Johto Classic Ranking.png

This is pretty average of course, but I felt pretty good about this compared to the Kanto Classic where I wasn't prepared for one specific Clefable set which I ended up facing like 4 out of my last 5 battles (and lost them all).

For some reason this comp felt a lot smoother to me and I wish I had more time to play more of the games since my breeding went into Sunday morning this time! But ones I got to play, I still had fun in.

The only games I lost badly were to a Shell Smash bluff Cloyster user who just switched into minimize Chansey and a Dugtrio I stupidly Taunted with my Gengar expecting Stealth Rock and I nearly got swept as a result.

Here's my team:

Johto Classic.png

Clear Smog on Gengar was awful since I only faced like 1 Smeargle/Espeon team, and they didn't even bring the Smeargle in that match, so it didn't get to do anything other than brake Espeon's Sub. On the plus side, I did get to use it on a +6 Suicune, but Scald's still hits Gengar pretty hard unboosted, so it not even worth running unless it's against Baton Pass. I'm still glad I was prepared for it rather than not.

Specs Raikou was a last minute add because I noticed I had nothing to hit opposing water types with, and it helped big time with a mono water team who would have destroyed my team in it's original form. He/She forfeited the moment they saw it was Spec'd.

By far my favorite Pokemon on the team though was Quagsire. It won me at least 5 games I wouldn't have otherwise do to the sheer fact that most players tried to set up on it to +6 only to forfeit once they saw it wasn't doing anything. The most memorable ones were a Power-Up Punch Snorlax and a Belly Drum Poilwrath. By far my Team MVP.

Oh and Brightpower on Entei was a throwaway item since the best items were already taken and I didn't want him limited to a Choice Band, but it was still a horrible item choice. I should have opted for something like an Expert belt or even a Passho Berry. I won't be using Brightpower again unless I'm playing with evasion moves.

Overall, I hope we see a few more of these in the near future. This comp brought back tons of nostalgia for me, and since Gen 2 is still my favorite, it was even better.

On to train for Hoenn!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)