Double Fighting Cores

In the general discussion thread for RU I posted about Hitmonlee serving as an excellent cleaner, and then I remembered how potent Double Fighting cores are, given the many powerful Fighting-types in RU (some are even NU)!

Double Fighting cores are known to put a heavy load of pressure on the opponent with brute force and strong coverage moves, often including Stone Edge and Ice Punch, among others. This thread is intended to discuss the power of double Fighting cores, what combinations are effective, teammates for Double Fighting cores, and so forth. Feel free to post replays or imports that utilize such cores too!

Last edited:

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Interesting topic here. Guess I'll be the first to chime in with one:

Gallade (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Drain Punch
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut

Emboar (M) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 68 Atk / 252 SAtk / 188 Spd
Rash Nature (+SAtk, -SDef)
- Fire Blast
- Superpower
- Grass Knot
- Sleep Talk

It's easy to see the beauty in this core; despite the fact that they're both Fighting-types, they each have a way around Slowking. Anyways, this is a really cool wallbreaking core that makes good use of the unique qualities Gallade and Emboar have as Fighting-types. Gallade's raw power and solid Speed are on full display with a Sub+3 Attacks set as it easily forces out stuff like Slowking and Uxie. Once behind a Sub, Gallade can use Night Slash to get right through these bulky Psychic-types to make it harder for the opponent to handle mixed Emboar. Drain Punch and Psycho Cut get really nice coverage and give Gallade solid utility. Drain Punch heals Gallade of passive damage incurred from entry hazards and Life Orb while Psycho Cut donks most Fighting-type resists bar Spiritomb.

Mixed Emboar is really cool. While people often notice that meaty base 123 Attack stat, they often forget that Emboar has a pretty solid base 100 Special Attack as well. This Emboar is designed to lure out and defeat virtually every physical wall in the tier which aids Gallade in trying to sweep late. Fire Blast roasts Steelix and Tangrowth while actually 2HKOing Qwilfish after SR despite the resist! Superpower remains as Emboar's physical move so it can still beat up on the special walls that it handles so well. The stat drops don't hurt that bad since Emboar is special-based. Also very cool for ensuring that you truck Aggron before it crushes you. Grass Knot really makes the set tick. Besides Qwilfish, Alomomola, Slowking, and Poliwrath are the next best switch-ins to Emboar on most occasions. Well, they all get 2HKOed at worst by Grass Knot (you need SR + 1 layer of Spikes for defensive Slowking) Sleep Talk lets Emboar retain its normal utility against sleep inducers as Fire/Fighting/Grass gets really good coverage in RU. Although you could run max Speed, I run enough to outpace neutral base 55s and most defensive Qwilfish (useful since Fire Blast 2HKOes it) so I can buff the power of Superpower. Special Attack gets maxed so Emboar can hit as hard as possible with Fire Blast and Grass Knot, the two key moves on this set. Expert Belt is cool since this set gets a lot of super effective coverage, although Life Orb is possible I guess since this Emboar doesn't have a recoil based move.

As for stuff that works well with this core, Lanturn is really cool. Since Emboar gets walled hard by Moltres and Gallade has no business staying in on it (unless it's behind a Sub of course) Lanturn is a really good choice as it checks Moltres and provides paralysis support. That's important as Gallade isn't the fastest 'mon in RU. A Spikes user is also nice to help both break down walls and for Gallade to sweep late. Ferroseed is cool as it provides a solid switch-in to most Water-types and provides paralysis support.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
IMO you should just make this a discussion for fighting types in general.

Also Medicham and Gurdurr aren't good enough to get into the OP? :( Even Poliwrath could be in there!

@Celever Honestly, I just listed the ones that came to my mind that are RU or below that have some merit.

IMO there is a distinction between a thread about RU Fighting-types and a thread about the Double Fighting core in RU. The former discusses particular Pokemon, whereas the latter discusses a particular play style using those Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)