Doubles Live Teambuilding Sessions (#1 Saturday 19:00 GMT+0)

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
approved by Arcticblast, kamikaze, KyleCole, and Stratos
Hey guys! This is an attempt to revive the thread Electrolyte used to host. Doubles has settled as a balanced tier that is growing every day. To complement this growing userbase, I thought it would be a good idea to revive Live Teambuilding sessions in the Doubles room on Pokemon Showdown. Newer players can learn how to build teams and improve with the help of more experienced users, which is great to exchange strategies and to improve the playerbase as a whole. It will also be a great opportunity for new players to integrate better in Doubles and break out of their shell! :)

Here is how it is going to work:
1. At the beginning of the week, a time and host will be decided to lead teambuilding.
Most usually this will be me, but if I require a filler host I will try to notify everyone.
The time will usually be during the weekend, when as many people possible can join. I'll try to do them on saturdays, but fridays and sundays are fine as well. For any other host; you will be allowed to pick a different time.

2. Up until the building time, people will be allowed to nominate Pokemon or cores to build around.
I have been struggling with this so far because I don't exactly know which route to go with this.
There have been suggestions to pair this up with the Teambuilding Competition that Memoric is currently hosting, but I'm not entirely sure about that as it is 40 weeks ahead of us, and we will lose out on possible Pokemon and cores that way. It would still be fun to build as a group and deliver this as a group. Also, in case someone's idea didn't get into the final team, they could build around it on their own and deliver it in the thread.

My personal idea was that people will be allowed to nominate Pokemon or cores on their own, and not run together with Memoric's Teambuilding Competition. In case we're doing this, please DO NOT SEND IN UNVIABLE CORES AND POKEMON. I'm sure we will all build a little bit jivy and possibly innovate, but I would prefer building competitive and usable teams, rather than just meme teams.

3. The host will look around in which Pokemon/core the community is most interested in.
That will be the building point in this case. If you would like your suggestion to be built around, I would advise putting a good reasoning with your post! Keep your starting points simple and short please. Don't suggest a 3 mon core, don't suggest a very specific team archetype (Sand TR, Double Weather), but keep your cores simple, and your reasonings short and clean.

4. We will teambuild afterwards!
We'll just start teambuilding. I want to make it very clear how we are going to teambuild:
People will give suggestions what to put on the team and give a small reasoning, eventually the host will make the final decision.
We do this so we can avoid the session derailing and everyone making poor suggestions. Again, I want to make it so we have usable teams at the end which could be possibly used in a more competitive setting.

That being said, I will be extremely loose on stuff like this. You can suggest off-meta stuff and stuff that isn't used much (tier 4 Pokemon such as Milotic, Gastrodon) but please do not suggest stuff like Shedinja or Follow Me Lucario.

We'll try to put in the rest of the sets and EV spreads at the end of the session, when we have got the Pokemon all done so we can decide with moves to put on the Pokemon more easily.
IMPORTANT: Don't forget to name the team, and especially don't forget nicknames. If kamikaze17 is around he'll be curating the nicknames :^D
4b. Look around if we can change around stuff or improve the team.
I'm sure that there will be ways to improve teams and we'll take one last look if we could change this around quickly. These teams will be built in ~1 hour so ofcourse the teams will not be perfect. We'll try to make it as good as possible though!

5. Possibly test out the team afterwards on the ladder or between each other.
This is optional, but if there's time left or if there are people interested in watching and doing this, I would happily do this. Testing teams on the ladder or between other players is the best way to spot weaknesses in the team and to see how to improve it.

5b. For the hosts: if we're done building the team, please add in minisprites, put the team between hidetags, and give a small description.
Again, this is just for the hosts. I will try to make an example of this after the first session. Try to put in a small description in on why we added certain Pokemon and sets!
5c. For the hosts: everyone who has participated significantly earn 1 point, and these get added in the Hall of Fame.
People who have added very little or made bad suggestions do not deserve Hall of Fame points. I don't want people to get rewarded for trying to ruin the experience :heart:
Reminder: this project is intended for new and intermediate players, however, high level players are encouraged to participate! In the end, we're all looking to improve and just get better at teambuilding as a whole! :toast:

Team archive:
Minisprites
Team name / original core / session / host
none yet

Hall of Fame:
1. some pleb kid - 0 points
2. some pleb kid - 0 points
3. some pleb kid - 0 points
4. some pleb kid - 0 points
5. some pleb kid - 0 points

If you have any questions about the project, feel free to PM/VM or post in this thread.
For guest hosts, if you have questions you can ask as well, I will try to help as much as possible! :heart:

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I think this is a clear win :heart:

Anyway, I would like to do the very first teambuilding session this Saturday (7th of May) 21:00 GMT+2. If you guys would prefer another time just post here :heart:

Also feel free to post suggestions now! I will happily take suggestions at this point, so I'm interested what you guys will come up wiith ^_^

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Mega Mawile + rotom W

Mawile is strong af with awesome typing and can clean up games with sucker punch. It fails vs ground moves and fire types which are seemingly on every team which makes rotom W a fabulous partner.

This core lacks the ability to take out grass types so a fire, flying, and/or psychic type is needed to round out the core

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Bronzong + Volcanion

The two newest additions to the VR actually pair really well together, with Bronzong setting TR and potentially Skill Swapping Levitate to Big Steamy, and Big Steamy removing Fires / Steels for Bronzong.

Needs support in setting TR since Bronzong isn't Fake Out / Taunt / Sleep immune, and help against Dark-types, especially Hydreigon.

Volcanion+Lucario [mega]
The recent addition of volcanion in the meta lets us use all the shitmons we want and get away with it.
Lucario beats kanga/diancie/hydreigon/cube, that's basically all of the new famous volc threats
gottem

"Heroes get remembered but legends never die, follow your heart kid, and you'll never go wrong."

Show rain some love. Everyone is using Volcanion as their rain check but just like every other Pokemon in existence, it doesn't switch into big papa pert. Give rain one last chance. Vote Pert.

e: voting pert > something else also means that Scarf Landorus-T probably wont be the first teammate added when the building happens

Last edited:

Mishimono

mish mish
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Past SCL Champion
DPL Champion
Mega Gardevoir + Hydreigon

Since I'm not innovative I picked two standard mons. Hydreigon is a great partner for Gardevoir as it can beat Volcanion and steel-types, as well as just being a great pick in the meta at the moment. Gardevoir can then beat fighting and dragon-types for Hydreigon.

Arcueid

nah i'd win nah i'd win nah i'd win
is a Battle Simulator Moderator
Well then, here is my entry. Two standard mons n_n
Bisharp
+ Mega Diancie

These two Pokemon complement each other a lot, however Landorus can give it troubles. Paired with a Water type makes this core even better. Bisharp complements Diancie as it can get rid of Aegislash and can trouble Landorus with a Defiant Boost as it can dent Landorus without Life Orb and with Life Orb, it can potentially KO Landorus. Mega Diancie is also very fast in the metagame. Mega Diancie helps Bisharp by KOing/denting Dragons and Fire-type Pokemon.
Edit: Also needs a good Water Type i.e Keldeo to make the core even more solid.​

Last edited:
+

Look at them! They're badass!

Well, I was just looking at their moveset coverage... and noticed that they can put an enormous dent to the opposing team. The idea is that if Mega Gengar has Dazzling Gleam and Volcanion has Earth Power (with their respective STAB attacks), then they will cover the following: Fire, Ground, Rock, Steel, Electric, Grass, Bug, Poison, Ice, Psychic, Ghost, Dark, Fighting, Dragon, & Fairy. Plus, they're immune to the following: Water, Fighting, Normal, & Ground (Gengar's Levitate). Note that Flying types are the only ones to not have been mentioned.

However, such great coverage comes at a price. First of all, they're obviously Earthquake vulnerable. If such an occasion occurs, you can either send out Scrafty or Weavile to take care it. These two Dark Mons are also good because they resists/counter Ghost and Dark types, and is immune to Psychic types; they can switch in for Mega Gengar. In the matter of Volcanion, I think obvious Mons (Landorus-T and/or Thundurus) that is immune to Ground types would be best for reserve. Nevertheless, I spoke too much nonsense and would like to see how others would response to this. Thanks!

Last edited:

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
In case you didn't know; you can vote for a core by liking the post!

I will try to interfere as little as possible and allow the people to vote for who they want.
You can vote for as many people as you want, just like their post.

I introduced the Hall of Fame system because of this. Every time you participate well you get one point. These points will be how much your votes weigh in total. So if you got 10 points, your vote counts for 10. In the beginning, everyone who is involved in Doubles'weigh for 0,5. People that don't actively play Doubles weigh for 0,25.

Voting will close Friday 21:00 GMT+2, so be sure to vote before that time!

Happy voting! :heart:

EDIT:
In the future, please don't post suggestions such as "Metagross + Rain" but instead "Metagross + Politoed", as it is just a bit clearer and Metagross + Rain is a kind of vague description. Not only that, but I would refrain from posting specific playstyles with obvious frameworks (such as Rain) as a whole.

Also, please don't make posts such as "Aegislash + Togekiss" and then proceed to build the rest of the team in your post. The idea is to build around this core, not fill in the sets you've given us.

I won't blame you guys though as it is the very first time we're doing this and it wasn't specific clearly in the rules! :heart:

Last edited:

Matame

New Rules

Mega Aero is a fun mega that loves to spam skill slide. Hoopa has the ability to destroy 2 of its biggest walls, Aegi and Jirachi. HOopa can also appreciate Aero's ability to outspeed and deal sufficient danage to lando with ice fang, and many fast mode mons in general which give Hoopa a hard time. Aero also gets a fun supportive movepool, including sky drop and tailwind which can both help support hoopa's potential to sweep.

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
Voting is now closed!

Matame's core (Mega Aerodactyl + Hoopa-Unbound) will be our starting point, winning with 12 votes.
Thanks everyone for sending in your cores, everyone will get a contributor point for sending in their core ^_^

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
was a great success

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Atk / 116 Def / 92 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn

Hoopa-Unbound @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
0 Speed IVs
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Trick Room
- Protect

Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 240 HP / 124 Def / 144 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Trick Room
- Protect

Volcanion @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Def
Nature
- Steam Eruption
- Substitute
- Heat Wave
- Protect

Amoonguss @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Spore
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Taunt
- Flash Cannon
- Protect

Alright so since the official CCAT (community create a team, some people were wondering) didn't end up going with Aerodactyl + Hoopa and I wanted to see a team with it I held an impromptu ccat of sorts using the core. This ccat was a little bit less community involved im sure than most go because a lot of things I just outright refused to include or gave the final say on myself, but there was a lot of community involvement for which I am grateful so thanks a lot for that @ those who participated.

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Slide
- Aqua Tail
- Substitute
- Protect

Hoopa-Unbound @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Hyperspace Fury
- Hyperspace Hole
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Jirachi @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 148 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Iron Head
- Icy Wind
- Follow Me
- Protect

Volcarona @ Lum Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 72 Def / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Rotom-Wash @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 116 SpA / 40 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Thunder Wave
- Protect

Scrafty @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Low Kick
- Quick Guard

Couple of things about the team:
  • Rock + Water is good ass coverage on aerodactyl, I hate sky drop but if you wanna use it then that change, much like any other change, is totally up to you. Just know that I/we/I did consider it and didn't like it
  • I have sub on aero because I like it & the team was kind of built around it, but Wide Guard wouldn't be AWFUL so if you want to use that go for it
  • Choice Scarf Hoopa is a cool partner for Aero/Volcarona. Think about it as offensive support, not so much a mon thats meant to just nail OHKOs. It lures scarf lando t (though we have other methods of dealing w that monster of course) and gets past aegislash for dactyl. It also has energy ball for diancie which is only a 50% to ohko the standard set, but with aero you can just pick up the KO with rock slide. Our Aerodactly underspeeds scarf Hoopa by 1 point and Volcarona is EVd to beat adamant lando t so it's slower than both by a couple of points. Hoopa also gets by latios, mence, and amoonguss fairly well.
  • Lum on Volcarona was questionable to some people but the team is slightly weak to Thundurus and other twave users so I think we need it (though we do have washtom and QG scrafty)
  • Flamethrower on Volc > Fire Blast because we couldn't find a relevant calc for fire blast and honestly I don't like missing. If you want to use Fire Blast go for it. It's worth mentioning that +1 flamethrower gets the OHKO on fast Thund ~96% of the time, which is better than fire blast after accuracy. Neither KO bulky Thund reliably. We opted to not use heat wave because even though the team does want for another powerful spread move, people were concerned that +1 heat wave would not be strong enough, I personally could go either way on this but I tend to lean towards moves that dont miss.
  • we went with twave>wow on rotom to deal with rain
I think that hits most of the important points. The team doesn't seem enormously weak to anything though terrakion is a bitch (Hoopa OHKOs it though). If you have any questions or suggestions leave em WITH ALTERNATIVES AND REASONING.

PLEASE dont just post "X is bad" and then leave it there. I had to deal with that enough while fending off suggestions for key meta destroyers like Lanturn and Torterra.

Last edited:

Platinum God n1n1

the real n1n1
is a Tiering Contributor
Lets do Char X + Togekiss

Char X is fun but not easy to build around and Togekiss is the forgotten redirector. Who I think pair well together.
Togekiss can provide speed control and redirect draco meters while Char X sets up Dragon Dance.
Still the core suffers from Lando. So we could built starting with this core add a wide guard imo and and see what we come up with

edit:
here are some pictures

cute

powerful

Last edited:

Paraplegic

relax...
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnus
ok since no one objected to miltank's suggestion, I assume that it will work! Now we need core ideas so we have something to build around! Submit w/e you want us to build and we'll go from there!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)