Doubles Teambuilding Competition - Week 69 - GAME OVER

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
With a very close vote, Mishimono takes the week. Congrats!

This week, we're going to build a DUU team around another Water-type in Manaphy! Manaphy is known for being able to set up with Tail Glow, boosting its Special Attack to very high amounts and allowing it to punch through foes with easy. While it is able to apply tons of pressure, it has to pick the right coverage move as it only really has one free moveslot, already spending space for Scald, Protect, and Tail Glow; depending on what it picks, it'll need support for the threats that it fails to cover. It's also quite underwhelming while unboosted.

Deadline of building on Saturday GMT noon!

I decided to use a Mega that OHKO's two of the most popular mons, Diancie and Hariyama. Using 308 Speed to outspeed Roserade and 375 attack to barely guarantee an OHKO on Mega Abomasnow, the rest (of EVs) were invested towards HP. Yet, I put Diancie just in case that speed is not in its favor, TR or not. Of course, Hariyama is there to support TR. Next up, I put the duo of Manaphy and Victini, both with mediocre speed and as baits for Water types. Lastly, I chose Mence since it's a check to physical attackers and a ground immune.

My personal and general checklist (or just things that I had in mind as I built this team):
  • 1 Zard X check and 1 resist/immune
  • 1 Fire (Camel) check and 1 resist/immune
  • 1 Water (Blast) check and 1 resist/immune
  • 1 Sleep immunity
  • 1 Ground immunity
  • 1 Explosion resist/immune
  • 1 check and 1 resist/immune for each (because they're common):
    • Diancie, Genesect, & Hariyama
  • Others: Speed Control
More the merrier.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 240 HP / 60 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Protect
- Substitute

Diancie @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpA
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Diamond Storm
- Protect
- Moonblast

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Close Combat
- Protect
- Fake Out

Manaphy @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Tail Glow
- Energy Ball
- Scald
- Protect

Victini @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Trick Room
- Fusion Bolt
- Protect
- V-create

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
- Protect
- Fire Blast

Last edited:

talkingtree

large if factual
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
No way I just happened to build this last night nice

Charizard-Mega-X @ Charizardite X
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

Tornadus
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Knock Off
- Taunt
- Protect

Manaphy @ Wacan Berry
EVs: 52 HP / 200 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Tail Glow
- Scald
- Energy Ball
- Protect

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 72 SpA / 160 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Sleep Powder
- Rage Powder
- Giga Drain
- Protect

Diancie @ Hard Stone
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 SpA
Brave Nature
IVs: 21 Spe
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Trick Room
- Protect

Doublade @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Atk / 96 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Iron Head
- Shadow Sneak
- Wide Guard
- Protect
Wanted to start out with ZardX + Defiant mon since Arcanine and Hitmontop seem to be rising in popularity. Torn was the best choice there, and between the two of them, Grass-types don't stand a chance, so enter Manaphy! Added Tang as a redirector for all three of them, Diancie as a check to fliers / check to opposing Zard / overall god mon, and Doublade for Wide Guard + the ability to take on Diancie / Hoopa. A couple of weird sets - Taunt on non-Prankster torn is pretty bad so I'll probably end up changing it but it really just clicks Acro most of the time regardless. Manaphy has a Wacan Berry and Energy Ball to beat opposing Waters and Electrics, and as some added reassurance against Genesect which is a bit of a rough matchup since nothing really switches in well.

Spread notes: Defensive benchmarks on ZardX are dumb, don't do it. Manaphy has max speed, OHKOs ZardX at +3 with Scald, 4 EVs in SpD to give Gene the wrong boost, rest in HP so that the Wacan Berry is less likely to be wasted. Tang lives +1 252 Gene Ice Beam or two Mega Aero Aerial Aces with the rest in SpA. Diancie outspeeds min speed Tangela, max Attack, OHKOs Mega Medicham or -1 Hariyama with Moonblast, rest in HP (lives two Tang Gigas). Doublade OHKOs 252 HP Hoopa with Shadow Sneak and dumps in SpD.

Team's fun, I lost in the tour with it today but that was more because of my poor plays than the team's ineffectiveness.

Matame

New Rules

Manaphy @ Leftovers
EVs: 136 HP / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Scald
- Protect

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Scrappy
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Low Kick
- Return
- Power-Up Punch

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Sleep Powder
- Rage Powder
- Tailwind

Diancie @ Stone Plate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Diamond Storm
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
Naive Nature
- Knock Off
- Leaf Storm
- Tailwind
- Protect

Arcanine @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 156 Def / 100 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun
- Flare Blitz
- Roar

Manaphy + Lop pressures with setup + fake out. Viv checks grass/fighting types, adds speed control, redirection and fast sleep. Diancie Checks Charx and fightings. Shiftiry checks opposing waters and adss another form of speed control. Arcanine checks steels and trick room with roar.

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
You guys know the drill, voting time! Just post the name lf the guy who built the team you're voting for.

Test Bot #
talkingtree
Matame

Deadline of voting on Sunday GMT noon (or close)

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
After a very close vote (!), talkingtree wins this round!

Like the past few rounds, we're building a DUU team! This time, we're going to build around Mega Mawile, one of the recent drops to the tier. Boasting 105 Attack and Pure Power, Mega Mawile stands as one of the strongest attackers in the metagame. It has solid defensive typing and physical bulk as well, but its Speed and special bulk hold it back. It does have Sucker Punch to get the jump on faster foes, however!

Deadline of building on Saturday GMT noon!

I just made this yesterday. Nice!

I started off w/ a core of Mega Mawile and Chandelure, and they really seem to have a good synergy. Then, I added Blastoise to support Chandelure and to eliminate some of the core's threats. And for the sake of coverage, Rhyperior was added, and it seems to help Blastoise a lot, too. So far, the team, as you can see, is very vulnerable to Ground type moves, Grass-type / Powder moves, and Mega Blastoise. As of result, Rotom-C was given a slot to deal w/ such issues.

The last slot was a hard one. In the end, I hated the fact that the team had to play the "guessing game" w/ salamence. I also needed another TR setter, so I decided that Porygon2 was the best mon for the job. Not that surprisingly, Porygon2 and Chandelure can switch in for each other; they are immune to Fighting and Ghost type moves, respectively. As of matter of fact, this team is immune to 8 different types in total (maybe this is an exaggeration of expression, but eh.)!

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Protect
- Iron Head

Chandelure @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Heat Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Trick Room

Blastoise @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Follow Me
- Hydro Pump
- Protect
- Ice Beam

Rhyperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Protect
- Drill Run
- Rock Slide

Rotom-Mow @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
Quiet Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Thunderbolt
- Protect
- Will-O-Wisp

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Quiet Nature
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Trick Room

Last edited:

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Protect

Gyarados @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 176 Def / 76 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt
- Protect

Landorus @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Earth Power
- Rock Slide
- Sludge Bomb
- Protect

Victini @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Victory Star
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- V-create
- Bolt Strike
- Brick Break
- U-turn

Darkrai @ Life Orb
Ability: Bad Dreams
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Hariyama @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 128 Def / 128 SpD
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Close Combat
- Knock Off
- Wide Guard

This is a team I built because I wanted to experiment with all 3 of the major new drops, Maw, Lando, and Gyara. Mawile is the mega of the team, as well as the team's main sweeper thanks to Sucker Punch being an extremely powerful priority move, Play Rough kills Dragons and is a general STAB while SD is for more big damage. I then put on Gyarados as a Ground/Fire check, and it does that job well. The EV spread is always 3HKO'd by +1 Giga Drain from Volc, with 4+ in attack to hit harder. I dumped the rest of the EV's into defense just to take hits better. I then added Lando, it is a secondary fire-check, as well as a fast and incredibly powerful wallbreaker to break things like Diancie. I put naive over Hasty so it can take priority better. I then added Victini as a 4th mon. My team is rather weak to Ice and Grass types, and it has no good way to break through Tang other than Taunt and Lando Sludge Bomb. Scarf Victini adds extra speed while doing everything a fire needs to do. I then added Darkrai, as I wanted a good Dragon check, as well as a Will-O-Wisp user and Dark type. The 4 is in def to mess with Genesect. I finally added Hariyama, as my team was weak to most spread, and Hariyama is a really good mon anyways.

Idyll

xD
RBTT Champion
VOTING TIME Y'ALL KNOW THE DRILL

Test Bot #
Tymano

deadline on monday, GMT noon!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)