Dragonair (Gen 4, full revamp)

Status
Not open for further replies.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/dragonair

It's my first analyses, so sorry for any mistakes. Also english isn't my first language, so I'm sure proofreads in some moments will be neccesary, but I hope it's good enough to not make it too painfull ;). I also think that overview is a bit too long, but I'm not sure about this.

[Overview]
<p>While Dragonair may seem like a lesser Altaria at first glance, it does have a few key advantages over its Dragon-type bretheren. Besides being able to shrug off status with Shed Skin, Dragonair also has access to priority, no Stealth Rock weakness, and only a 2x weakness to Ice-type attacks are a few of the reasons to use Dragonair over fellow Dragon-types Altaria and Gabite. These benefits do come at a cost, however; Dragonair's defenses are so poor that even stronger resisted attacks can take a huge chunk out of Dragonair, making switching it very difficult. If, however, you can get Dragonair out on the field, it will have no problems tearing down even the most prominent walls.</p>

[SET]
name: Wall-Breaker
move 1: Draco Meteor
move 2: Outrage
move 3: Fire Blast
move 4: ExtremeSpeed / Hidden Power Ground
item: Life Orb
nature: Mild
evs: 108 Atk / 252 SpA / 148 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>The best mixed attacking stats for UU Dragon types makes this set more then viable. The aim of this set is simple – to break through walls and open holes for sweepers or boosting tanks. As this set is perfect bait for Steel-types, Dragonair can perform this role really well. The combination of Outrage and Draco Meteor 2HKOes all non-resistant walls except the bulkiest ones like Umbreon or Uxie. For example, standard defensive Slowbro easily goes down to this combination and max HP Spiritomb and Milotic share a similar fate. Draco Meteor alone OHKOes some of them such as physically defensive Hariyama and max HP Donphan with Stealth Rock up. The other moves are for coverage – Fire Blast 2HKOes Steelix, as well as Registeel with Spikes support. Without it, Steel-types such as these would easily absorb the Dragon moves on this set. Hidden Power Ground is mainly for Aggron, who isn't 2HKOed by any attack on this set and may easily OHKO back with Head Smash. However, if you don't mind Aggron, ExtremeSpeed is a perfect choice for last slot, as it helps to take out some faster sweepers like Alakazam and Ambipom.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs are tailored to suit a specific purpose. 252 Special Attack EVs are obvious – they give power, which Draco Meteor and Fire Blast need, as those two moves are your main options here. 148 Speed EVs allows you to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic by one point, which otherwise could switch in and finish Dragonair with Ice Beam. The remaining 108 Attack EVs goes to Attack to power-up Outrage and Extremespeed. This means that ExtremeSpeed OHKOes Swellow after Stealth Rock and one turn of Flame Orb damage and also OHKOes Hitmonlee when the Defense drop kicks in after Close Combat. Outrage 2HKOes Chansey and OHKOes offensive Raikou after Stealth Rock. The former is particularly important, as it can't set up on you after a Special Attack drop from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>To use this set to its fullest potential, entry hazards are neccessary to deal as much damage as possible, especially Spikes. Paralysis support is also nice to have, although it's not required. Froslass is a good partner for Dragonair – she sets up Spikes and absorbs Ice-type attacks aimed at Dragonair, and the bulky set also handles most Rapid Spinners. Froslass also has access to Thunder Wave, which can take many people by surprise. Another good partner is Spiritomb – its bulk easily helps it to absorb some powerful hits from sweepers when they switch in after a KO. Also this combo works well, because Dragonair lures in Registeel, who easily walls Spiritomb and Fire Blast 2OHKOes it with Spikes support (which can be provided by Froslass). The same is true for Steelix and Aggron (provided you run Hidden Power Ground). Also, Spiritomb doesn't mind Uxie, who Dragonair unfortunately can't beat at full health. There are few offensive partners, who work well with Dragonair. Blaziken is perfect example – it switches intoIce-type attacks without problems and dents almost every switch in with his powerful attacks. Dragonair, conversely, deals with many bulky waters like Slowbro or Milotic whom Blaziken cannot deal with. Also, Blaziken easily OHKOes Umbreon, the most dangerous opponent for this set. Another offensive partner is Moltres – only bulky waters can stop it, so the Dragon Snake works in similar fashion here and SubRoost versions doesn't mind Umbreon and Uxie.</p>

[SET]
name: Dragon Dance
move 1: Dragon Dance
move 3: Waterfall
move 4: ExtremeSpeed / Rest
nature: Adamant / Jolly
evs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Outrage
move 2: Dragon Rush
move 3: Aqua Tail / Waterfall
move 4: ExtremeSpeed
item: Choice Band
nature: Adamant
evs: 108 HP / 252 Atk / 148 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Mediocre physical attack and high powered moves suggests to equip Dragonair with Choice Band. With Choice Band it reaches solid 439 attack, which helps to dent most switches quite hard, whilst access to ExtremeSpeed makes it a solid revenge killer in tight situations, when opponent gains momentum in battle. The good neutral coverage of Dragon-type moves makes up for Dragonair's poor physical movepool. Water + Dragon hits all targets for at least neutral damage except Shedinja in UU, helping this set a lot. At first sight Aqua Tail may looks like a worse option then Waterfall, however it secures 2HKOes even without Stealth Rock damage on offensive Aggron and the standard Rapid Spin Donphan set, against which Waterfall needs one set of Spikes to secure a 2HKO. However, if accuracy issues are important, Waterfall is still viable option. Dragon Rush may looks like a really strange choice with poor accuracy, however locking Dragonair too fast in Outrage may end up fatal for it and as such Outrage should be used only when you really needs the additional power provided by Outrage and cannot avoid a miss from Dragon Rush's shaky accuracy.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs serve the same purpose as on Wall-breaker set – they allow Dragonair to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic set and 2HKOit with Dragon Rush or Outrage whilst maximizing its Attack to increase its damage output. The rest goes into HP to help Dragon Snake switch on battlefield with its plenthora of good resistances. However there's another good EVs spread for this set – 54 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Speed Adamant. This allows Dragonair to outspeed Max HP / Defence Impish Uxie and there's even slim chance for 2OHKO with Outrage when Stealth Rock is on field. Even if Dragonair don't take it down in two hits, thanks to those Speed EVs the dragon snake wins 1v1, if Uxie switch directly on Outrage. Another interesting fact is that the perfect Wall-Breaker counter, Umbreon, is 2HKOed by Outrage even without entry hazards on field and there's 13% chance to do the same with Dragon Rush and Stealth Rock up (if one set of Spikes is also spikes, the 2HKO is secured).</p>

<p>However, the good news ends up here, and it's important to mention this set's counters. Steelix, Regirock. and Registeel are the best switch-ins against this set – they can easily take on every single move without risking a 2HKO and threaten Dragonair back with their STAB attacks or just explode to finish the poor dragon. Slowbro is also a pretty good switch-in when Spikes are gone, as with only Stealth Rock on the battlefield there's only a 9% chance to 2HKO Slowbro with Outrage. To take care of them good trapping partners are helpful. Magneton and Dugtrio comes first in mind. Magneton can switch in without many risks, use Magnet Rise and work from there. Most of times it wins 1v1 against Registeel and Steelix, allowing the dragon snake to use its attacks without many risks. Also, Magneton easily absorbs Ice- and Dragon-type weaknesses, making this cooperation even better. Dugtrio is also good option – thanks to its Arena Trap ability it may trap all of them and threaten then with STAB Earthquake (although Steelix and Regirock need a bit of residual damage). Unfortunately both of them share a Ice-type weakness, so another partner to absorb Ice-type attacks is a must. Blaziken and Moltres again are good partners here, as they do well against mentioned counters quite well and threaten them back with Fire or Fighting attacks. Also bulky waters like Milotic or Slowbro helps a lot to deal with Dragonair's biggest counters and threaten them back with their STAB attacks.</p>

[Team Options]
<p></p>

[Counters]
<p></p>

It's my first analyses, so sorry for any mistakes. Also english isn't my first language, so I'm sure proofreads in some moments will be neccesary, but I hope it's good enough to not make it too painfull ;). I also think that overview is a bit too long, but I'm not sure about this.

[Overview]
<p>Dragonair at first glance doesn't look impressive with moderate all around stats, however it's not true(try rewording this, this sentence doesn't really fit all that well). Good movepool and the sheer power of Draco Meteor or Outrage makes up for the rather medicore offensive attributes. Dragon snake(are you serious?) is a perfect choice for teams, which needs good wall-breaking partners or just an offensive finisher for late-game sweeping. Dragonair is good example of Pokemon, which proves that Dragon type moves are really powerfull(false statment IMO,try rewording it), especially in lower tiers, which only has few steel types to absorb them. Also the lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, access to priority in ExtremeSpeed and good resistances helps it in switching on battlefield and makes it unique enough to choose it over other dragon types like Altaria or Gabite.</p>

<p>To continue dragon comparison, his unique ability Shed Skin gives him few more opportunities to switch on the battlefield (for example it doesn't mind Toxic Spikes) or with some luck Dragonair may for example(repetitiveness,try rewording it) heal paralysis from defensive wall and continue sweep(reword this, i don't understand at all. Also Shed Skin may even help with Outrage confusion drawback and it enables to use Rest without Sleep Talk. In other words great base power of its dragon moves and average speed (good enough for dragon dance and wall-breaking role) makes it a good offensive choice for UU teams. </p>

<p>However it has one problem. Its lack of bulk, especially when you need to switch on neutral hits and stronger ones knocks it down without many problems. Even stronger resisted attacks like Leaf Storm or Hydro Pump will severely dent it, so sometimes Dragonair struggles to find opportunity to switch in. But if Dragon Snake(?) is in , something will be hurt(this doesn't make sense).</p>
I:delete B:changes

due to the massive number of errors in the overview, i suggest to revise you analysis and see what other people has done. As so far i am not liking this at all.

Ok, fixed few sentences and reworded them. I used Dragon Snake, as I didn't want to be repetitive with Dragonair and I can't think of anything else. Now I hope it sounds better.

EDIT to September: Yeah, good catch ;).

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just a small thing I see. 2OHKOes should be 2HKOes. I'll do a full check later :)

OHKO = One Hit Knock Out
2OHKO = Two One Hit Knock Out (which is incorrect)

You can't say two one hit knock out :P

eric the espeon

maybe I just misunderstood
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
quick nitpick check
[Overview]
<p>Dragonair at first glance doesn't look impressive with mediocre stats, however it has few strong points. Good movepool and the sheer power of Draco Meteor or Outrage makes up for not so great offensive attributes. Dragon snake is a perfect choice for teams, which needs good wall-breaking partner or just an offensive finisher for late-game sweeping. Dragonair is good example of Pokemon, which proves that good base power of Dragon type moves and lack of resists, especially in lower tiers makes it quite strong attacker. Also the lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, access to priority in ExtremeSpeed and good resistances helps it in switching on battlefield and makes it unique enough to choose it over other dragon types like Altaria or Gabite.</p>

<p>To continue dragon comparison, its unique ability Shed Skin allows few more opportunities to switch on the battlefield and with some luck Dragonair may heal crippling status and continue his sweep. Also Shed Skin may even help with Outrage confusion drawback and it enables to use Rest without Sleep Talk. In other words great base power of its dragon moves and average speed (good enough for dragon dance and wall-breaking role) makes it a good offensive choice for UU teams. </p>

<p>However it has one problem. Its lack of bulk, especially when you need to switch on neutral hits and stronger ones knocks it down without many problems. Even stronger resisted attacks like Leaf Storm or Hydro Pump will severely dent it, so sometimes Dragonair struggles to find opportunity to switch in. But if Dragon Snake is in , it deals quite heavy damage.</p>

[SET]
evs: 108 Atk / 252 SpA / 148 Spe (Important to have speed last, Doug's calc will not work with it otherwise)

[Set Comments]
<p>The best mixed attacking stats from UU Dragon types makes this set more then viable. Role of this set is simple – break through walls and open holes for team sweepers or boosting tanks, as this set is perfect steel-types bait and Dragonair performs this role really well. Combination of Outrage + Draco Meteor 2HKOes all non-resistant walls except the bulkiest ones like Umbreon or Uxie. For Example standard defensive Slowbro easily goes down with this combination and similar fate shares Max HP Spiritomb or Max HP Milotic. Even Draco Meteor alone OHKOes some of them like physically defensive Hariyama or Max HP Donphan with Stealth Rock up. Other moveslots are for coverage – Fire Blast takes in two hits Steelix and Registeel (however for Registeel you need Stealth Rock and one set of Spikes). Without it otherwise they easily absorb dragon moves on this set. Hidden Power Ground is for Aggron, which isn't 2OHKOed by any attack on this set and may easily OHKO back with Head Smash. However if you don't mind Aggron, ExtremeSpeed is perfect choice for last slot – as it helps to take out some faster sweepers like Alakazam or Ambipom.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>At first EVs may look specific, however they serve their purpose. 252 SpA EVs (standard from here) are obvious – they give power, which Draco Meteor and Fire Blast needs, as those two moves are your main options here. 148 Spe EVs allows you to outspeed by one point Life Orb Tank Milotic set, which otherwise could switch in and finish Dragonair with Ice Beam. And 108 Atk EVs goes to physical attack to power-up Outrage and fortunately they help with few opponents. For example ExtremeSpeed helps to take down Swellow after SR and one turn of Flame Orb damage and it looks similar with Hitmonlee when Defense (stats are capitalized+American spelling) drop kicks in after Close Combat. Outrage also helps to take down Chansey in two hits and OHKO offensive Raikou after Stealth Rock. The last one is really important, as it can't set up on you after special attack drop from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>To use this set fullest potential, entry hazards are necessary to deal as much damage as possible, especially Spikes. Paralysis support is also nice to have, however it's not required. Froslass is good partner for Dragonair – she sets up Spikes and absorbs ice attacks aimed on Dragon Snake and bulky set also handles most Rapid Spinners. Froslass also has access to Thunder-Wave and most of times it's not expected on her. Another good partner is Spiritomb – it's bulk easily helps to absorb some powerful hits from sweepers, when they switch in after their partner faint. Also this combo cooperates well, because Spiritomb struggles (especially Mono-Attacking set) against Registeel, which Dragonair easily lures and 2HKOes with Spikes support. It looks similar with Steelix and Aggron. Also Spiritomb doesn't mind Uxie, as Dragonair unfortunately can't beat it at full health. Also there are few offensive partners, which cooperates well with Dragonair. Blaziken is perfect example – it also switches on ice attacks without problems and may dent almost every single switch in with his powerful attacks. Dragonair in advance deals with many bulky waters like Slowbro or Milotic making this duet even better. Also Blaziken easily OHKO Umbreon, the most dangerous opponent for this set. Another offensive partner is Moltres – only bulky waters may stop it, so Dragon Snake works in similar fashion here and SubRoost versions doesn't mind Umbreon and Uxie. </p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[SET]
evs: 108 HP/ 252 Atk / 148 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[Team Options]
<p></p>

[Counters]
<p></p>

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
And another to change:

"<p>However it has one problem. Its lack of bulk, especially when you need to switch on neutral hits and stronger ones knocks it down without many problems. Even stronger resisted attacks like Leaf Storm or Hydro Pump will severely dent it, so sometimes Dragonair struggles to find opportunity to switch in. But if Dragon Snake is in, it deals quite heavy damage.</p>"

you need to remove the space before the comma.

[Overview]
<p>Dragonair at first glance doesn't look impressive with mediocre stats, however it has few strong points. Good movepool and the sheer power of Draco Meteor or Outrage makes up for not so great offensive attributes. Dragon snake is a perfect choice for teams, which needs good wall-breaking partner or just an offensive finisher for late-game sweeping. Dragonair is good example of Pokemon, which proves that good base power of Dragon type moves and lack of resists, especially in lower tiers makes it quite strong attacker. Also the lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, access to priority in ExtremeSpeed and good resistances helps it in switching on battlefield and makes it unique enough to choose it over other dragon types like Altaria or Gabite.</p>

<p>To continue dragon comparison, its unique ability Shed Skin allows few more opportunities to switch on the battlefield and with some luck Dragonair may heal crippling status and continue his sweep. Also Shed Skin may even help with Outrage confusion drawback and it enables to use Rest without Sleep Talk. In other words great base power of its dragon moves and average speed (good enough for dragon dance and wall-breaking role) makes it a good offensive choice for UU teams. </p>

<p>However it has one problem. Its lack of bulk, especially when you need to switch on neutral hits and stronger ones knocks it down without many problems. Even stronger resisted attacks like Leaf Storm or Hydro Pump will severely dent it, so sometimes Dragonair struggles to find opportunity to switch in. But if the Dragon Snake is in, it deals quite heavy damage.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p>The best mixed attacking stats for UU Dragon types makes this set more then viable. The role of this set is simple – break through walls and open holes for team sweepers or boosting tanks, as this set is perfect steel-types bait and Dragonair performs this role really well. Combination of Outrage + Draco Meteor 2HKO's all non-resistant walls except the bulkiest ones like Umbreon or Uxie. For Example standard defensive Slowbro easily goes down with this combination and similar fate shares Max HP Spiritomb or Max HP Milotic. Even Draco Meteor alone OHKOes some of them like physically defensive Hariyama or Max HP Donphan with Stealth Rock up. Other moveslots are for coverage – Fire Blast takes in two hits Steelix and Registeel (however for Registeel you need Stealth Rock and one set of Spikes). Without it otherwise they easily absorb dragon moves on this set. Hidden Power Ground is for Aggron, which isn't 2OHKOed by any attack on this set and may easily OHKO back with Head Smash. However if you don't mind Aggron, ExtremeSpeed is perfect choice for last slot – as it helps to take out some faster sweepers like Alakazam or Ambipom.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>At first EVs may look specific, however they serve their purpose. 252 SpA Evs are obvious – they give power, which Draco Meteor and Fire Blast needs, as those two moves are your main options here. 148 Spe Evs allows you to outspeed by one point Life Orb Tank Milotic set, which otherwise could switch in and finish Dragonair with Ice Beam. And 108 Atk Evs goes to physical attack to power-up Outrage and fortunately they help with few opponents. For example ExtremeSpeed helps to take down Swellow after SR and one turn of Flame Orb damage and it looks similar with Hitmonlee when Defense drop kicks in after Close Combat. Outrage also helps to take down Chansey in two hits and OHKO offensive Raikou after Stealth Rock. The last one is really important, as it can't set up on you after special attack drop from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>To use this set fullest potential, entry hazards are neccessary to deal as much damage as possible, especially Spikes. Paralysis support is also nice to have, however it's not required. Froslass is a good partner for Dragonair – she sets up Spikes and absorbs ice attacks aimed on the Dragon Snake and bulky set also handles most Rapid Spinners. Froslass also has access to Thunder-Wave and most of times it's not expected on her. Another good partner is Spiritomb – it's bulk easily helps to absorb some powerful hits from sweepers, when they switch in after their partner faint. Also this combo cooperates well, because Spiritomb struggles (especially it's Mono-Attacking set) against Registeel, which Dragonair easily lures and 2HKOes with Spikes support. It looks similar with Steelix and Aggron. Also Spiritomb doesn't mind Uxie, as Dragonair unfortunately can't beat it at full health. Also there are few offensive partners, which cooperates well with Dragonair. Blaziken is perfect example – it also switches on ice attacks without problems and may dent almost every single switch in with his powerful attacks. Dragonair in advance deals with many bulky waters like Slowbro or Milotic making this duet even better. Also Blaziken easily OHKO Umbreon, the most dangerous opponent for this set. Another offensive partner is Moltres – only bulky waters may stop it, so the Dragon Snake works in similar fashion here and SubRoost versions doesn't mind Umbreon and Uxie. </p>
Just some grammatical errors.

[Overview]
<p>Dragonair at first glance doesn't look impressive with its mediocre stats, however it has few strong points. A good movepool and the sheer power of Draco Meteor and Outrage make(no "s") up for not so great offensive attributes. The dragon snake is a perfect choice for teams(no comma) which need(no "s") a good wall-breaker or just an offensive finisher for late-game sweeping. The good base power of and lack of resistances to dragon-type moves make Dragonair a strong attacker in the lower tiers. Also the lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, access to priority in ExtremeSpeed and good resistances help(no "s") it in switching onto the battlefield and make(no "s") it unique enough to choose it over other dragon types like Altaria or Gabite.</p>
The long sentence I edited might be a bit confusing. Consider rewording it.

I might add more later.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I believe that Dragonair has its own niches but does it really deserve this much sets?

-choice specs set should be completely removed, don't plan on writting it. if anything, altaria outclasses it completely with better bulk and higher speed. altaria ultimately pulls the set off better.

-not a big fan of the choice band set as well. we could argue that extremespeed makes it a good choice band user, but its attack stat is still pretty decent and it doesn't have the speed nor the bulk to use its strongest attack. getting locked in on outrage leaves you prone to faster revenge killers. what is your exact aim with the choice band set? the physical walls in this tier can shrug a hit, and the faster ones will ohko you too easily. i'm not convinced with the choice band set, maybe provide a few logs?

-yeah basically, i feel like DD is probably the best set to use. however, be sure to describe how you can open up chances to use dragon dance. dratini will not threaten anything, and it doesn't have the bulk to set up. encore users are a good help, and sleep powder opens up more set up opportunities for dratini.

-the mix set is meh, it sounds good on paper but i feel like its "too weak". maybe some logs? well that's my two cents, dd set is excellent keep it. i'm iffy with the mix set however.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Dragonair at first glance doesn't look impressive with its mediocre stats; however it has few strong points. A good movepool and the sheer power of Draco Meteor and Outrage make up for not-so-great offensive attributes. The dragon snake is the perfect (or a good choice EDIT: I meant that "a good choice" is an alternative to "the perfect choice" I should have made this more clear)choice for teams which need a good wall-breaking partner or just an offensive finisher for late-game sweeping. Dragonair is good example of a Pokemon (removed comma) that proves that the great coverage and solid power of Dragon moves, especially in lower tiers, makes a quite strong attacker regardless of mediocre stats. Also the lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, access to priority in ExtremeSpeed and good resistances help it in switching onto the battlefield and makes it unique enough to choose (it) over other dragon types like Altaria or Gabite.</p>

<p>To continue dragon comparison, its unique ability Shed Skin allows a few more opportunities to switch on the battlefield and with some luck Dragonair may heal itself of crippling status and continue its sweep. Also Shed Skin may (even) help with Outrage confusion (drawback) and it enables the use of Rest without Sleep Talk. In other words thegreat base power of its dragon moves and its average speed (good enough for dragon dance and wall-breaking role) makes it a good offensive choice for UU teams. </p>

<p>However it has one problem : its lack of bulk, especially when you need to switch on neutral hits - stronger ones may even OHKO. Even stronger resisted attacks like Leaf Storm or Hydro Pump will severely dent it, so sometimes Dragonair struggles to find an opportunity to switch in. But if the Dragon Snake is on the field, it deals quite heavy damage.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p>The best mixed attacking stats for UU Dragon types makes this set more then viable. The aim of this set is simple – to break through walls and open holes for (team) sweepers or boosting tanks. As this set is perfect bait for Steel-types, Dragonair can perform this role really well. The combination of Outrage and Draco Meteor 2HKOes all non-resistant walls except the bulkiest ones like Umbreon or Uxie. For example standard defensive Slowbro easily goes down to this combination and Max HP Spiritomb and Max HP Milotic share a similar fate. (Even) Draco Meteor alone OHKOes some of them such as physically defensive Hariyama and Max HP Donphan with Stealth Rock up. The other moves are for coverage – Fire Blast 2HKOes Steelix, as well as Registeel with Spikes support. Without it steel types such as these would easily absorb the Dragon moves on this set. Hidden Power Ground is mainly for Aggron, who isn't 2OHKOed by any attack on this set and may easily OHKO back with Head Smash. However if you don't mind Aggron, ExtremeSpeed is perfect choice for last slot – as it helps to take out some faster sweepers like Alakazam and Ambipom.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p> The EVs are tailored to suit a specific purpose. 252 SpA Evs are obvious – they give power, which Draco Meteor and Fire Blast need, as those two moves are your main options here. 148 Spe Evs allows you to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic by one point, which otherwise could switch in and finish Dragonair with Ice Beam. (And) The remaining 108 Atk Evs goes to (physical) Attack to power-up Outrage and Extremespeed. ( and fortunately they help with few opponents). This means that ExtremeSpeed OHKOes Swellow after SR and one turn of Flame Orb damage and also OHKOes Hitmonlee when the Defense drop kicks in after Close Combat. Outrage also 2HKOes Chansey and OHKOes offensive Raikou after Stealth Rock. The former is particularly important, as it can't set up on you after special attack drop from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>To use this set to its fullest potential, entry hazards are neccessary to deal as much damage as possible, especially Spikes. Paralysis support is also nice to have, although it's not required. Froslass is a good partner for Dragonair – she sets up Spikes and absorbs ice attacks aimed at Dragonair and the bulky set also handles most Rapid Spinners. Froslass also has access to Thunder-Wave, which can take many people by surprise. Another good partner is Spiritomb – its bulk easily helps it to absorb some powerful hits from sweepers (,) when they switch in after a KO. Also this combo works well, because Spiritomb (especially it's Mono-Attacking set) struggles against Registeel, which Dragonair easily lures and 2HKOes with Spikes support. The same is true for Steelix and Aggron (provided you run Hidden Power Ground). Also Spiritomb doesn't mind Uxie, who Dragonair unfortunately can't beat (it) at full health. Also there are few offensive partners, who work well with Dragonair. Blaziken is perfect example – it (also) switches on Ice attacks without problems and dents almost every (single) switch in with his powerful attacks. Dragonair, conversely, (in advance) deals with many bulky waters like Slowbro or Milotic whom Blaziken cannot deal with. Also Blaziken easily OHKOes Umbreon, the most dangerous opponent for this set. Another offensive partner is Moltres – only bulky waters may stop it, so the Dragon Snake works in similar fashion here and SubRoost versions doesn't mind Umbreon and Uxie. </p>
Quite a lot of changes here, although thats not surprising given that English is not your first language. Consequently I probably missed quite a bit. Changes are in bold, and the removals in brackets.

-choice specs set should be completely removed, don't plan on writting it. if anything, altaria outclasses it completely with better bulk and higher speed. altaria ultimately pulls the set off better.
True, Altaria has better bulk, but there are two things, which helps Dragonair alot. First is access to Thunderbolt - it allows to 2OHKO all bulky waters except specially defensive Milotic and Slowking. Altaria with Specs can't threaten seriously any bulky water type (even Slowbro can switch on Draco Meteor and Slack off damage thanks to special attack drop), which is huge disadvantage. Second one is that Dragonair isn't SR weak - and I think this one is even more important. Those two little things really make Dragonair different enough. Just avoid sickly powerfull hits and you're fine. Also Shed Skin + good resistances gives you few opportiunities to switch in. And speed factor really isn't important here as both Dragonair/Altaria with Specs are typical hit and run Pokemon.

-not a big fan of the choice band set as well. we could argue that extremespeed makes it a good choice band user, but its attack stat is still pretty decent and it doesn't have the speed nor the bulk to use its strongest attack. getting locked in on outrage leaves you prone to faster revenge killers. what is your exact aim with the choice band set? the physical walls in this tier can shrug a hit, and the faster ones will ohko you too easily. i'm not convinced with the choice band set, maybe provide a few logs?
I really like ExtremeSpeed on its moveset and I think it makes it different enough. Choice Band set has good enough power and I proved this in my calcs. True, you're prone to revenge killing from faster sweepers, however most of them can't switch directly. And all dragons has problems with Outrage - it makes it prone to any faster Pokemon, but I may say the same thing about Gabite, however I admit that is has STAB Earthquake to use. Also it has good surprise factor, as it needs other sets of counters then Specs or Mixed Wall set. But if more people think it's not needed - I may remove it. However I'll test it more and provide some logs.

-the mix set is meh, it sounds good on paper but i feel like its "too weak". maybe some logs? well that's my two cents, dd set is excellent keep it. i'm iffy with the mix set however.
It's rather specific set to use, as it needs some supporting options to make it really work. Also it appreciates more bulky partners. I think it works the best on balanced or even semi-stall teams, however I'm ready to provide some logs later.

And thanks for help, jc104.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Thunderbolt and no SR weakness is not a strong enough reason to trade for 14 hp points, 25 def points, 35 spd points, and 10 crucial speed points your missing from Altaria. Besides, Draco Meteor will still 2HKO Slowbro with Draco Meteor.

+1 - 76.1% - 89.8%
after attack - 38.3% - 45.2%

That is 100% chance of OHKO on standard Slowbro. Also, Draco Meteor hits harder than Thunderbolt on the first strike on Milotic. It will miss out on the 2HK0, but the point is, Thunderbolt and SR weakness doesn't merit its own set. Altaria completely outclasses it.

@ CB

Yeah, Outrage is problem to all dragons. You brought out Gabite, but Gabite has a comfortable speed point to work with along with STAB Earthquake. Dratini has poor Speed, and poor bulk to even use Outrage. I don't know I'm just not convinced, like I said, logs would be nice.

Thunderbolt and no SR weakness is not a strong enough reason to trade for 14 hp points, 25 def points, 35 spd points, and 10 crucial speed points your missing from Altaria. Besides, Draco Meteor will still 2HKO Slowbro with Draco Meteor.
I can't argue with those arguments, as you're right with Altarias bulk and I admited it earlier. With speed - of course it's important, but I really think that "hit and run" pokemon doesn't need that much speed like for example SD/Nasty Plot Sweeper. And fortunately Dragonair has few usefull resistances and Shed Skin to find opportiunities to switch in. About Slowbro - true, I made a mistake in that calculation.

It will miss out on the 2HK0, but the point is, Thunderbolt and SR weakness doesn't merit its own set. Altaria completely outclasses it.
I can't help it, but to say that Thunderbolt is really important. List of counters for Specs Altaria is surprisingly longer and bulky waters are dominating enough force to reconsider Dragonair if only for easier dealing with bulky waters. No SR weakness is just a bonus, but nice to have. However I must also agree with your arguments. I would love to hear more opinions on this - if more people think that Specs Dragonair shouldn't have it's own set, than I'll remove it.

Yeah, Outrage is problem to all dragons. You brought out Gabite, but Gabite has a comfortable speed point to work with along with STAB Earthquake. Dratini has poor Speed, and poor bulk to even use Outrage. I don't know I'm just not convinced, like I said, logs would be nice.
I'll work on this analyses again in next week, as I don't have too much time in few days from now on. Also I'll edit a bit Choice bander analyses, as I think when I look at this again I think it lacks something. Also I'll work on logs. Cheers and thanks for your comments and help, folks.

Darkmalice

Level 3
is a Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]
<p>Dragonair at first glance doesn't look impressive with its mediocre stats; however, it has few strong points. A good movepool and the sheer power of Draco Meteor and Outrage make up for not-so-great offensive attributes. The dragon snake is the perfect (or good) choice for teams which need a good (remove - not needed, and you have already stated good in the sentence) wall-breaking partner or just an offensive finisher for late-game sweeping. Dragonair is a good (use an adjective other than good to avoid repititon) example of Pokemon that proves that the great coverage and solid power of Dragon moves, especially in lower tiers, makes a quite strong attacker. Also, the lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, access to priority in ExtremeSpeed, and good (replace with another adjective, perhaps "useful") resistances help it in switching onto the battlefield and makes it unique enough to choose over other Dragon-types like Altaria or Gabite.</p>

<p>To continue dragon comparison, its unique ability Shed Skin allows a few more opportunities to switch intothe battlefield and with some luck, Dragonair may heal itself of crippling status and continue its sweep. Also, Shed Skin may help with Outrage confusion and it enables the use of Rest without Sleep Talk. In other words the (insert space) great base power of its Dragon-type moves and its passablespeed (good enough for dragon dance and wall-breaking role) (remove; passable implies this whilst keeping the overview more concise + avoiding repetition of good) makes it a good offensive choice for UU teams. </p>

<p>However it has one problem, its lack of bulk, especially when you need to switch on neutral hits - stronger ones may even (remove)OHKO. Even stronger resisted attacks like Leaf Storm or Hydro Pump will severely dent it, so sometimes Dragonair struggles to find an opportunity to switch in. But if the dragon snake is on the field, it deals quite heavy damage.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p>The best mixed attacking stats for UU Dragon types makes this set more then viable. The aim of this set is simple – to break through walls and open holes for sweepers or boosting tanks. As this set is perfect bait for Steel-types, Dragonair can perform this role really well. The combination of Outrage and Draco Meteor 2HKOes all non-resistant walls except the bulkiest ones like Umbreon or Uxie. For example, standard defensive Slowbro easily goes down to this combination and max HP Spiritomb and Max HP (remove) Milotic share a similar fate. Draco Meteor alone OHKOes some of them such as physically defensive Hariyama and max HP Donphan with Stealth Rock up. The other moves are for coverage – Fire Blast 2HKOes Steelix, as well as Registeel with Spikes support. Without it, Steel-typessuch as these would easily absorb the Dragon moves on this set. Hidden Power Ground is mainly for Aggron, who isn't 2HKOed by any attack on this set and may easily OHKO back with Head Smash. However, if you don't mind Aggron, ExtremeSpeed is a perfect choice for last slot, as it helps to take out some faster sweepers like Alakazam and Ambipom.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs are tailored to suit a specific purpose. 252 Special AttackEVsare obvious – they give power, which Draco Meteor and Fire Blast need, as those two moves are your main options here. 148 Speed EVs allows you to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic by one point, which otherwise could switch in and finish Dragonair with Ice Beam. The remaining 108 Attack EVs goes to Attack to power-up Outrage and Extremespeed. This means that ExtremeSpeed OHKOes Swellow after Stealth Rockand one turn of Flame Orb damage and also OHKOes Hitmonlee when the Defense drop kicks in after Close Combat. Outrage also (remove)2HKOes Chansey and OHKOes offensive Raikou after Stealth Rock. The former is particularly important, as it can't set up on you after a Special Attack drop from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>To use this set to its fullest potential, entry hazards are neccessary to deal as much damage as possible, especially Spikes. Paralysis support is also nice to have, although it's not required. Froslass is a good partner for Dragonair – she sets up Spikes and absorbs Ice-type attacks aimed at Dragonair, and the bulky set also handles most Rapid Spinners. Froslass also has access to Thunder Wave, which can take many people by surprise. Another good partner is Spiritomb – its bulk easily helps it to absorb some powerful hits from sweepers when they switch in after a KO. Also this combo works well, because Spiritomb (especially it's Mono-Attacking set (remove - unnecessary)) struggles against Registeel, which Dragonair easily lures and 2HKOes with Spikes support. This sentence could be reworded to flow more smoothly. Try In return, Dragonair lures in Registeel, who easily walls Spiritomb and sets up on it with Bulk Up, and 2HKOes it with Fire Blast with Spikes support (which can be provided by Froslass) The same is true for Steelix and Aggron (provided you run Hidden Power Ground). Also, Spiritomb doesn't mind Uxie, who Dragonair unfortunately can't beat at full health. Also (remove - repetition there are few offensive partners, who work well with Dragonair. Blaziken is perfect example – it switches intoIce-type attacks without problems and dents almost every switch in with his powerful attacks. Dragonair, conversely, deals with many bulky waters like Slowbro or Milotic whom Blaziken cannot deal with. Also, Blaziken easily OHKOes Umbreon, the most dangerous opponent for this set. Another offensive partner is Moltres – only bulky waters can stop it, so the Dragon Snake works in similar fashion here and SubRoost versions doesn't mind Umbreon and Uxie.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[SET]
evs: 108 HPinsert space/ 252 Atk / 148 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>Mediocre physical attack and high powered moves suggests to equip Dragonair with Choice Band. With Choice Band it reaches solid 439 attack, which helps to dent most switches quite hard, whilst access to ExtremeSpeed makes it a solid revenge killer in tight situations, when opponent gains momentum in battle. (remove; not only are you missing "the", but momentum means little when you are using ExtremeSpeed, especially considering that Pokemon like Aggron can use it to gain momentum. Thegood neutral coverage of Dragon-type moves makes up for Dragonair's poor physical movepool on Dragonair (remove). Water + Dragon hits all targets for at least neutral damage except Shedinja in UU, helping this set a lot. At first sight Aqua Tail may looks like a worse option then Waterfall, however it secures 2HKOes even without Stealth Rock damage on offensive Aggron and the standard Rapid Spin Donphan set, against which Waterfall needs one set of Spikes to secure a 2HKO. However, if accuracy issues are important, Waterfall is still viable option. Dragon Rush may looks like a really strange choice with poor accuracy, however locking Dragonair (itself would have referred to either Dragon Rush or accuracy) too fast in Outrage may end up fatal for your (remove)Dragonair and as such Outrage should be used only when opponents Pokemon can't threaten Dragonair reword this - your opponent can always threaten Dragonair. Perhaps to something like "when you really need the additional power provided by Outrage and cannot avoid a miss from Dragon Rush's shaky accuracy. If you put this in, remove the next sentence. ALSO, "it may end up without serious consequences" contradicts the rest of the sentence.. Also on this set Dragon Rush may miss once in a while, so if it happens, it may end up without serious consequences.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs serve the same purpose as on Wall-breaker set – they allow Dragonair to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic set and 2HKOit with Dragon Rush or Outrage whilst maximizing its Attack to increase its damage output. The rest goes into HP to help Dragon Snake switch on battlefield with its plenthora of good resistances. However there's another good EVspread for this set – 54 HPinsert space/insert space252 Atkinsert space/insert space204 Speed Adamant (remove). This allows Dragonair to outspeed Max HP / Defence Impish Uxie and there's even slim chance for 2OHKO with Outrage when Stealth Rock is on field (3% exactly) (remove; this is also possible with the main EV spread, and a 3% chance of a 2HKO is not impressive). Even ifremove space Dragonair don't take it down in two hits, thanks to those Speed EVs the dragon snake wins 1v1 as most Uxie can't OHKO you back How does outspeed Uxie enable you to beat Dragonair 1v1? It just U-turns out. Another interesting fact is that the perfect Wall-Breaker counter, Umbreon, is 2HKOed by Outrage even without entry hazards on field and there's 13% chance to do the same with Dragon Rush and Stealth Rockup (if one set of Spikes is also spikes, the 2HKO is secured).</p>

<p>However, the good news ends up here, and it's important to mention this set's counters. Steelix, Regirock. and Registeel are the best switch-ins against this set – they can easily take on every single move without risking a 2HKO and threaten Dragonair back with their STAB attacks or just explode to finish the poor dragon. Slowbro is also a pretty good switch-in when Spikes are gone, as with only Stealth Rock on the battlefield there's only a 9% chance to 2HKO Slowbro with Outrage. To take care of them good trapping partners are helpful. Magneton and Dugtrio comes first in mind. Magneton can switch in without many risks, use Magnet Rise and work from there. Most of times it wins 1v1 against Registeel and Steelix, allowing the dragon snake to use its attacks without many risks. Also, Magneton easily absorbs Ice- and Dragon-type weaknesses, making this cooperation even better. Dugtrio is also good option – thanks to its Arena Trap ability it may trap all of them and threaten then with STAB Earthquake (althoughr Steelix and Regirock need a bit of residual damage is neccesary (remove)), however both of them share a Ice-type weakness, so another partner to absorb Ice-type attacks is a must. Blaziken and Moltres again are good partners here, as they with all mentioned counters quite well and threaten them back with Fire or Fighting attacks Moltres absorbs Ice-type attacks? Not only does it not resist them, but it's lost half it's health with SR. Also bulky waters like Milotic or Slowbro helps a lot to deal with Dragonair's biggest counters and threaten them back with their STAB attacks.</p>

[SET]
name: Choice Specs
move 2: Dragon Pulse
move 4: Thunderbolt
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 108 HPinsert space/ 252 SpA / 148 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[Team Options]
<p></p>

[Counters]
<p></p>
I strongly encourage you to grammar check all your work, because there were lots of errors, and some of them were very obvious (such as omitting "a" and mispelling 2HKO as 2OHKO). Also lots of unnecessary repetition (usually with simple words like "good" and "also") - it's more appealing to the reader when repetition does not occur. Try "powerful, strong, effective etc" and "in addition, as well as etc". Read some other analyses to get a better idea of correct English.

Why is Dragonair getting it's own page? I've been laddering on UU for a while now nad not once have I seen a Dragonair, and looking at it's base stats it jsut doesn't have what it takes to ba a threat to anything. It can 2 K.O alot of things but it can't outpseed those base 80's

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Dragonair at first glance doesn't look impressive with its mediocre stats; however it has a few strong points.
When you say "it has few strong points", it implies a negative tone, as though you're criticizing it. When you say "it has a few strong points" it means that you're redeeming it.

Xia

On porpoise
is a Contributor Alumnus
Went through and tried to shorten and correct your overview (feel free to rewrite it to suit your style if necessary:

[Overview]
<p>While Dragonair may seem like a lesser Altaria at first glance, it does have a few key advantages over its Dragon-type bretheren. Besides being able to shrug off status with Shed Skin, Dragonair also has access to priority, no Stealth Rock weakness, and only a 2x weakness to Ice-type attacks are a few of the reasons to use Dragonair over fellow Dragon-types Altaria and Gabite. These benefits do come at a cost, however; Dragonair's defenses are so poor that even resisted attacks can take a huge chunk out of Dragonair, making switching it very difficult. If, however, you can get Dragonair out on the field, it will have no problems tearing down even the most prominent walls.</p>

<p>Dragonair at first glance doesn't look impressive with its mediocre stats; however it has few strong points. A good movepool and the sheer power of Draco Meteor and Outrage make up for not-so-great offensive attributes. The dragon snake is the perfect (or a good choice)choice for teams which need a good wall-breaking partner or just an offensive finisher for late-game sweeping. Dragonair is good example of Pokemon that proves that the great coverage and solid power of Dragon moves, especially in lower tiers, makes a quite strong attacker. Also the lack of a Stealth Rock weakness, access to priority in ExtremeSpeed and good resistances help it in switching onto the battlefield and makes it unique enough to choose over other dragon types like Altaria or Gabite.</p>

<p>To continue dragon comparison, its unique ability Shed Skin allows a few more opportunities to switch on the battlefield and with some luck Dragonair may heal itself of crippling status and continue its sweep. Also Shed Skin may help with Outrage confusion and it enables the use of Rest without Sleep Talk. In other words thegreat base power of its dragon moves and its average speed (good enough for dragon dance and wall-breaking role) makes it a good offensive choice for UU teams. </p>

<p>However it has one problem : its lack of bulk, especially when you need to switch on neutral hits - stronger ones may even OHKO. Even stronger resisted attacks like Leaf Storm or Hydro Pump will severely dent it, so sometimes Dragonair struggles to find an opportunity to switch in. But if the Dragon Snake is on the field, it deals quite heavy damage.</p>

I strongly encourage you to grammar check all your work, because there were lots of errors, and some of them were very obvious (such as omitting "a" and mispelling 2HKO as 2OHKO). Also lots of unnecessary repetition (usually with simple words like "good" and "also") - it's more appealing to the reader when repetition does not occur. Try "powerful, strong, effective etc" and "in addition, as well as etc". Read some other analyses to get a better idea of correct English.
I'll keep it in mind and thanks alot for all of this.

Went through and tried to shorten and correct your overview (feel free to rewrite it to suit your style if necessary:
Looks fine right now. Nothing to add.

As always thanks for help.

I think the Choice Specs set can go.

I mean, Altaria has = SpA to Dragonair and is otherwise better in every way (Thunderbolt isn't that important when you have perfect coverage in two moves).

Altaria is always better when you are not using Dragonair's slightly above average Attack stat because of it's excellent defenses and Roost.

macle

sup geodudes
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
[Overview]
<p>While Dragonair may seem like a lesser Altaria at first glance, it does have a few key advantages over its Dragon-type brethren. Besides being able to shrug off status with Shed Skin, Dragonair also has access to priority, no Stealth Rock weakness, and only a 2x weakness to Ice-type attacks are a few of the reasons to use Dragonair over fellow Dragon-types Altaria and Gabite. These benefits do come at a cost, however; Dragonair's defenses are so poor that even stronger resisted attacks can take a huge chunk out of Dragonair, making switching it very difficult. If, however, you can get Dragonair out on the field, it will have no problems tearing down even the most prominent walls.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p>The best mixed attacking stats for UU Dragon types makes this set more then viable. The aim of this set is simple – to break through walls and open holes for sweepers or boosting tanks. As this set is perfect bait for Steel-types, Dragonair can perform this role really well. The combination of Outrage and Draco Meteor 2HKOes all non-resistant walls except the bulkiest ones like Umbreon or Uxie. For example, standard defensive Slowbro easily goes down to this combination and max HP Spiritomb and Milotic share a similar fate. Draco Meteor alone OHKOes some of them such as physically defensive Hariyama and max HP Donphan with Stealth Rock up. The other moves are for coverage – Fire Blast 2HKOes Steelix, as well as Registeel with Spikes support. Without it, Steel-types such as these would easily absorb the Dragon moves on this set. Hidden Power Ground is mainly for Aggron, who isn't 2HKOed by any attack on this set and may easily OHKO back with Head Smash. However, if you don't mind Aggron, ExtremeSpeed is a perfect choice for last slot, as it helps to take out some faster sweepers like Alakazam and Ambipom.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs are tailored to suit a specific purpose. 252 Special Attack EVs are obvious – they give power, which Draco Meteor and Fire Blast need, as those two moves are your main options here. 148 Speed EVs allows you to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic by one point, which otherwise could switch in and finish Dragonair with Ice Beam. The remaining 108 Attack EVs goes to Attack to power-up Outrage and Extremespeed. This means that ExtremeSpeed OHKOes Swellow after Stealth Rock and one turn of Flame Orb damage and also OHKOes Hitmonlee when the Defense drop kicks in after Close Combat. Outrage 2HKOes Chansey and OHKOes offensive Raikou after Stealth Rock. The former is particularly important, as it can't set up on you after a Special Attack drop from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>To use this set to its fullest potential, entry hazards are necessary to deal as much damage as possible, especially Spikes. Paralysis support is also nice to have, although it's not required. Froslass is a good partner for Dragonair – she sets up Spikes and absorbs Ice-type attacks aimed at Dragonair, and the bulky set also handles most Rapid Spinners. Froslass also has access to Thunder Wave, which can take many people by surprise. Another good partner is Spiritomb – its bulk easily helps it to absorb some powerful hits from sweepers when they switch in after a KO. Also this combo works well, because Dragonair lures in Registeel, who easily walls Spiritomb and Fire Blast 2OHKOes it with Spikes support (which can be provided by Froslass). The same is true for Steelix and Aggron (provided you run Hidden Power Ground). Also, Spiritomb doesn't mind Uxie, who Dragonair unfortunately can't beat at full health. There are few offensive partners, who work well with Dragonair. Blaziken is perfect example – it switches into Ice-type attacks without problems and dents almost every switch in with his powerful attacks. Dragonair, conversely, deals with many bulky waters like Slowbro or Milotic whom Blaziken cannot deal with. Also, Blaziken easily OHKOes Umbreon, the most dangerous opponent for this set. Another offensive partner is Moltres – only bulky waters can stop it, so the Dragon Snake works in similar fashion here and SubRoost versions doesn't mind Umbreon and Uxie.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p>Mediocre physical attack and high powered moves suggests to equip Dragonair with Choice Band. With Choice Band it reaches solid 439 attack, which helps to dent most switches quite hard, whilst access to ExtremeSpeed makes it a solid revenge killer in tight situations, when opponent gains momentum in battle. The good neutral coverage of Dragon-type moves makes up for Dragonair's poor physical movepool. Water + Dragon hits all targets for at least neutral damage except Shedinja in UU, helping this set a lot. At first sight Aqua Tail may looks like a worse option then Waterfall, however it secures 2HKOes even without Stealth Rock damage on offensive Aggron and the standard Rapid Spin Donphan set, against which Waterfall needs one set of Spikes to secure a 2HKO. However, if accuracy issues are important, Waterfall is still viable option. Dragon Rush may looks like a really strange choice with poor accuracy, however locking Dragonair too fast in Outrage may end up fatal for it and as such Outrage should be used only when you really needs the additional power provided by Outrage and cannot avoid a miss from Dragon Rush's shaky accuracy.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs serve the same purpose as on Wall-breaker set – they allow Dragonair to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic set and 2HKOit with Dragon Rush or Outrage whilst maximizing its Attack to increase its damage output. The rest goes into HP to help Dragon Snake switch on battlefield with its plethora of good resistances. However there's another good EVs spread for this set – 54 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Speed Adamant. This allows Dragonair to outspeed Max HP / Defense Impish Uxie and there's even slim chance for 2OHKO with Outrage when Stealth Rock is on field. Even if Dragonair don't take it down in two hits, thanks to those Speed EVs the dragon snake wins 1v1, if Uxie switch directly on Outrage. Another interesting fact is that the perfect Wall-Breaker counter, Umbreon, is 2HKOed by Outrage even without entry hazards on field and there's 13% chance to do the same with Dragon Rush and Stealth Rock up (if one set of Spikes is also spikes, the 2HKO is secured).</p>

<p>However, the good news ends up here, and it's important to mention this set's counters. Steelix, Regirock. and Registeel are the best switch-ins against this set – they can easily take on every single move without risking a 2HKO and threaten Dragonair back with their STAB attacks or just explode to finish the poor dragon. Slowbro is also a pretty good switch-in when Spikes are gone, as with only Stealth Rock on the battlefield there's only a 9% chance to 2HKO Slowbro with Outrage. To take care of them good trapping partners are helpful. Magneton and Dugtrio comes first in mind. Magneton can switch in without many risks, use Magnet Rise and work from there. Most of times it wins 1v1 against Registeel and Steelix, allowing the dragon snake to use its attacks without many risks. Also, Magneton easily absorbs Ice- and Dragon-type weaknesses, making this cooperation even better. Dugtrio is also good option – thanks to its Arena Trap ability it may trap all of them and threaten then with STAB Earthquake (although Steelix and Regirock need a bit of residual damage). Unfortunately both of them share a Ice-type weakness, so another partner to absorb Ice-type attacks is a must. Blaziken and Moltres again are good partners here, as they do well against mentioned counters quite well and threaten them back with Fire or Fighting attacks. Also bulky waters like Milotic or Slowbro helps a lot to deal with Dragonair's biggest counters and threaten them back with their STAB attacks.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
Changes in blue
Removals in red

This isn't done, but I'll check what you have so far. ^_^ There are a LOT of grammatical errors, but that's to be expected; it is your first analysis. ;)

[Overview]
<p>While Dragonair may seem like a lesser Altaria at first glance, it does have a few key advantages over its Dragon-type bretheren. Besides being able to shrug off status with Shed Skin, Dragonair also has access to priority, no Stealth Rock weakness, and only a 2x weakness to Ice-type attacks: these are a few of the reasons to use Dragonair over fellow Dragon-types Altaria and Gabite. These benefits do come at a cost, however; Dragonair's defenses are so poor that even stronger resisted attacks can take a huge chunk out of it, making switching in very difficult. If, however, you can get Dragonair out on the field, it will have no problems tearing down even the most prominent walls.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p>The best mixed attacking stats for UU Dragon-types makes this set more than viable. The aim of this set is simple: to break through walls and open holes for sweepers or boosting tanks. As this set is perfect bait for Steel-types, Dragonair can perform this role really well. The combination of Outrage and Draco Meteor 2HKOes all non-resistant walls except for bulkier ones like Umbreon or Uxie. For example, standard defensive Slowbro easily goes down to this combination and max HP Spiritomb and Milotic share a similar fate. Draco Meteor alone OHKOes some of them, such as physically defensive Hariyama and max HP Donphan with Stealth Rock support. The other moves are for coverage; Fire Blast 2HKOes Steelix, as well as Registeel with Spikes support. Without it, Steel-types such as these would easily absorb the Dragon-type moves on this set. Hidden Power Ground is mainly for Aggron, who isn't 2HKOed by any attack on this set and may easily OHKO back with Head Smash. However, if you don't mind Aggron, ExtremeSpeed is a perfect choice for the last slot, as it helps to take out some faster sweepers like Alakazam and Ambipom.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs are tailored to suit a specific purpose. 252 Special Attack EVs are obvious; they give power, which Draco Meteor and Fire Blast need, as those two moves are your main options here. 148 Speed EVs allow Dragonair to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic by one point, which otherwise could switch in and finish Dragonair with Ice Beam. The remaining 108 Attack EVs go to Attack to power up Outrage and Extremespeed. This means that ExtremeSpeed OHKOes Swellow after Stealth Rock and one turn of Flame Orb damage and also OHKOes Hitmonlee when the Defense drop kicks in after Close Combat. Outrage 2HKOes Chansey and OHKOes offensive Raikou after Stealth Rock. The former is particularly important, as it can't set up on Dragonair after a Special Attack drop from Draco Meteor.</p>

<p>To use this set to its fullest potential, entry hazards are neccessary to deal as much damage as possible (especially Spikes). Paralysis support is also nice to have, although it's not required. Froslass is a good partner for Dragonair; she sets up Spikes and absorbs Ice-type attacks aimed at Dragonair, and the bulky set also handles most Rapid Spinners. Froslass also has access to Thunder Wave, which can take many opponents by surprise. Another good partner is Spiritomb; its bulk easily allows it to absorb some powerful hits from sweepers when they switch in after a KO. This combination works well because Dragonair lures in Registeel, who easily walls Spiritomb and Fire Blast 2HKOes it with Spikes support (which can be provided by Froslass). The same is true for Steelix and Aggron (provided you run Hidden Power Ground). Also, Spiritomb doesn't mind Uxie, who Dragonair unfortunately can't beat at full health. There are few offensive partners, who work well with Dragonair. Blaziken is perfect example; it switches in on Ice-type attacks without problems and dents almost every switch in with its powerful attacks. Dragonair, conversely, deals with many bulky Water-types like Slowbro or Milotic whom Blaziken cannot deal with. Also, Blaziken easily OHKOes Umbreon, the most dangerous opponent for this set. Another offensive partner is Moltres; only bulky Water-types can stop it, so the Dragon Snake works in similar fashion here and SubRoost versions doesn't mind Umbreon and Uxie.</p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p></p>

[Additional Comments]
<p></p>

[SET]

[Set Comments]
<p>Mediocre physical attack and high powered moves suggest to equip Dragonair with Choice Band. With Choice Band it reaches a solid 439 Attack, which helps to dent most switches quite well, whilst access to ExtremeSpeed makes it a solid revenge killer in tight situations when the opponent gains momentum in battle. The good neutral coverage of Dragon-type moves makes up for Dragonair's poor physical movepool. Water + Dragon hits all targets for at least neutral damage except Shedinja in UU, helping this set a lot. At first sight Aqua Tail may look like a worse option then Waterfall, but it secures 2HKOes even without Stealth Rock damage on offensive Aggron and the standard Rapid Spin Donphan set, against which Waterfall needs one set of Spikes to secure a 2HKO. However, if accuracy issues are important, Waterfall is still viable option. Dragon Rush may look like a really strange choice with poor accuracy, but locking Dragonair too quickly into Outrage may end up fatal for it and as such Outrage should be used only when you really need the additional power provided by Outrage and cannot avoid a miss from Dragon Rush's shaky accuracy.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>The EVs serve the same purpose as on Wall-breaker set; they allow Dragonair to outspeed Life Orb Tank Milotic set and 2HKO it with Dragon Rush or Outrage whilst maximizing its Attack to increase its damage output. The rest goes into HP to help Dragonair switch onto the battlefield with its plenthora of good resistances. However, there's another good EV spread for this set: 54 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Speed Adamant. This allows Dragonair to outspeed Max HP / Defense Impish Uxie and there's even a slim chance for a 2HKO with Outrage when Stealth Rock is on field. Even if Dragonair doesn't take it down in two hits, thanks to those Speed EVs Dragonair wins 1v1, if Uxie switches directly on Outrage. Another interesting fact is that the perfect Wall-Breaker counter, Umbreon, is 2HKOed by Outrage even without entry hazards on field and there's 13% chance to do the same with Dragon Rush and Stealth Rock up (if one set of Spikes is also spikes, the 2HKO is secured).</p>

<p>However, the good news ends up here, and it's important to mention this set's counters. Steelix, Regirock, and Registeel are the best switch-ins against this set; they can easily take on every single move without risking a 2HKO and threaten Dragonair back with their STAB attacks or just explode to finish it. Slowbro is also a pretty good switch-in when Spikes are gone, as with only Stealth Rock on the battlefield there's only a 9% chance to 2HKO Slowbro with Outrage. To take care of the aforementioned Pokemon, good trapping partners are helpful. Magneton and Dugtrio first come to mind. Magneton can switch in without any risks, use Magnet Rise, and work from there. Most of time it wins 1v1 against Registeel and Steelix, allowing Dragonair to use its attacks without any risks. Also, Magneton easily absorbs Ice- and Dragon-type attacks, making this cooperation even better. Dugtrio is also good option; thanks to its Arena Trap ability it may trap all of them and threaten them with STAB Earthquake (although Steelix and Regirock need a bit of residual damage). Unfortunately, both of them share an Ice-type weakness, so another partner to absorb Ice-type attacks is a must. Blaziken and Moltres again are good partners here, as they do well against aforementioned counters quite well and threaten them back with Fire- and Fighting-type attacks. Also, bulky Water-types like Milotic or Slowbro help a lot to deal with Dragonair's biggest counters and threaten them back with their STAB attacks.</p>

[Team Options]
<p></p>

[Counters]
<p></p>

LonelyNess

Makin' PK Love
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Dragonair does not deserve an analysis and here's why...

Its Pure Dragon typing seems to be blessing. It eliminates the Stealth Rock weakness, gives it only a 2X Ice weakness, and gives it useful resistances to Electric-type attacks that Altaria's typing doesn't. However, its superior typing fails to mask its terrible NFE stats. There are only a few common Pokemon that run Ice attacks anyway, and Altaria takes them almost just as well as Dragonair. For example, both Min/Min Altaria and Min/Min Dragonair fail to be OHKO'd by Max SpA Venusaur's HP Ice (with Altaria only taking some 5% more on average). Secondly, Dragonair's touted "useful Electric resist" is anything but useful. The only things that use Electric attacks are Raikou / Milotic / Lanturn... you tell me anyone who's stupid enough to switch into any of those 3 Pokemon with a Dragonair, and I'll show you someone who probably shouldn't be playing competitive Pokemon anymore (funnily enough, even without the Electric resist, Altaria can actually beat Lanturn coming in on either Tbolt or Surf and then firing off an Earthquake. Something that Dragonair only wishes it could do.) No Stealth Rock weakness is quickly cast aside by the fact that Altaria has Roost and Dragonair doesn't... which means that any damage sustained by Stealth Rock is permanent on Dragonair but only a temporary inconvenience on Altaria. Lastly, in nearly every set but the Choice Bander, Roost is superior to ExtremeSpeed... though I suppose that is the ONE thing that Dragonair has over Altaria (though its usefulness is certainly debatable).

In terms of set by set comparisons, there really is none. Dragonair's Dragon Dance set is terrible in comparison because it lacks Earthquake to deal with Steel-type switch-ins. Waterfall is only useful versus Steelix. Against the other common Steel-type, Registeel, it will barely dent it. Dragonair may have ExtremeSpeed to aid in sweeping, but Altaria has Roost, which is arguably better because it allows it to try sweeping a team more than once, and in UU where there is no Pokemon that resists Dragon / Ground, the need for more than two attacking moves on Altaria is nigh nonexistant.

The Choice Band set is pretty much entirely inferior as well, once again ExtremeSpeed is the only notable advantage, whereas Altaria boasts not only the ever useful Earthquake, but the unilaterally superior combination of Natural Cure + Rest, which will undoubtedly aid more in its endeavors to break walls through brute force (by allowing it to outlast its opponents) than Dragonair's superior attack / priority move.

The only set that Dragonair even competes with Altaria at is the mixed wall breaker, because it has better attacking stats and priority. However, Dragonair's terrible NFE defenses, and lack of an Earthquake immunity give it few viable switch-ins. For example, Dragonair can't switch in on a Stall-team's Donphan and start throwing out Draco Meteors... it also can't switch in on Hitmontop... it can't risk coming in on a Spiritomb's Will-O-Wisp (lest it then be walled by Chansey), because Shed Skin is dubious at best for removing status (unlike Natural Cure), one begins to wonder exactly what on a stall / offensive team you'll be switching into with Dragonair's terrible defensive stats. In short: nothing.

Dragonair is a gimmick at best... and not even a good one at that. It's vastly inferior to Altaria, and on any competitive team there is no reason to use Dragonair over Altaria, and because we here at Smogon only deal with Competitive Pokemon, there is no reason for Dragonair to have an onsite analysis.

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
For the reasons LonelyNess has stated, this thread will be getting locked. If you want to plead your case, please PM Eo Ut Mortus about it. Additonally, I myself had problems getting Dragonair to work, it was just too slow and frail.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)