Dubz Community Create-A-Team (CCAT) v1.0 - Submit Revisions!

This team indeed, like has been said, problems with Escadrill and Rain, and probably Trick Room as well. My solution to this problem is, while one that might kill offensive momentum, adds a lot of defensive momentum instead, sometimes capable of turning the tide of a match on its own.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 SDef
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Protect
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Underspeeding everything under TR (and it gets outspeeded by everything outside of it regardless), and while T-Wave is useless against TR, it is very useful against Swift Swim abusers. Power Whip wrecks Gastrodon.
Leftovers instead of Sitrus Berry because Ferro can stay alive for decades against those who have nothing to really handle it. Escadrill can't really do much against Ferrothorn either and gets Seeded in the process.

It is huge Taunt bait though, which needs - or not - to be adressed. Future teammates could include Fake Out users as well as Water-types like Rotom-W.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam/ Icy Wind
- Muddy Water
- Earth Power
- Protect

As has already been mentioned, this core is weak to rain, trick room and strong rock slide/ earthquake users. Gastrodon easily checks all of these incredible well. With ice beam and muddy water it can destroy most ground and rock types as well as resisting them. Both of the core is weak to water so gastrodon can be used to draw those attacks to it, granting free set-up turns for ttar. Also, its only weakness is grass which is 4x resisted by volc who can easily tank them through the use of rage powder.

Last edited:

Gastrodon @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
- Ice Beam
- Muddy Water
- Earth Power
- Protect

As has already been mentioned, this core is weak to rain, trick room and strong rock slide/ earthquake users. Gastrodon easily checks all of these incredible well. With ice beam and muddy water it can destroy most ground and rock types as well as resisting them. Both of the core is weak to water so gastrodon can be used to draw those attacks to it, granting free set-up turns for ttar. Also, its only weakness is grass which is 4x resisted by volc who can easily tank them through the use of rage powder.
Gastrodon doesn't resist Ground types...

Might also mention Icy Wind as a speed control option.

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Awesome guys! We got a nice number of submissions this round. Here they are:

Laga's Choice Specs Rotom-W
Nollan's Breloom
Pocket's Electric Gem Rotom-W
Arcticblast's Jellicent
BlankZero's Thundurus-I
D-quag's Hitmonlee
Aasgier's Ferrothorn
The Leprechaun's Gastrodon

To cast your vote, just type the user's name in bold. For instance, if I wanted to vote for Pocket's Electric Gem Rotom-W, I would just post:
Pocket

Vote for one and one only. Furthermore, you are allowed to vote for your own submission. Just be sure to read all of the other submissions and vote honestly. You have 36 hours (aka 12:27 am PST, Monday morning). Happy voting!

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Pocket

everyone else better vote for me

EDIT: wtf Laga I would never kill a baby, how rude of you...

Last edited:

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
fml I should have posted a Sitrus Berry / Water Gem Rotom-W :|

Arcticblast because he is going to kill a baby if no one votes for him reasons.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Pocket
Laga's and Arcticblast's sets would also make great options, but I think that Rotom-W has the best synergy w/ the team and Pocket's set makes a better Rain check w/ Light Screen than Specs does (if he had kept it WoW probably woulda voted Laga)

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The votes are in! With 7 votes, Pocket's Rotom-W is our next team pick.

Rotom-W @ Electric Gem
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 236 HP / 244 SpA / 16 SpD / 12 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Light Screen
- Protect

Round 3 nominations start now. As before, submit one set with no slashes and a short but thorough synopsis of your set.

Laga

Forever Grande
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Breloom has excellent synergy with Volcarona and Rotom-W. It's ability to blow past common Rock Slide spammers such as Terrakion and Tyranitar makes it a valuable teammate for Volcarona, and can switch into Grass-type moves threatening Rotom-W (except Shaymin-S, which we will probably need something for as the next poke), and the Rock and Water moves threatening Volcarona. Spore allows it to support Tyranitar in potentially giving itself and Tyranitar a free turn through putting an opposing pokemon to sleep, and is great utility for the team in general. Another useful trait of Breloom is that it demolishes opposing Sand teams; Rock Slide / EQ spam is looking kind of threatening to the team at the current time, and Breloom resists both. IT GET'S BETTER. Trick Room is looking like a pain in the ass right now for this team, and Spore will definitely help the team defeat more opposing Trick Room leads than it does at the moment; one rarely sees Lum Berry on Trick Room setters. Additionally, it also semi-counters rain teams with it's Grass typing, forming a sort of Rain-fighter (pun intended) core with Rotom-W I guess.

VOTE 4 LAGA
I think Breloom is the most obvious choice for the next team member, as it patches up most of the weaknesses the team has whilst providing both a form of offense and utility.

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
ok, figure I'll nominate something else:

Virizion @ Grass Gem
Trait: Justified
EVs: 60 HP / 196 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Close Combat
- Helping Hand
- Protect

Virizion would be a nice option since its increased bulk allows for it to more effectively check weather defensively than Breloom would, allowing the team more leeway against Pokemon such as Rotom-W, which Virizion switches into easily. The EV spread w/ Grass Gem allows Virizion to OHKO Defensive Politoed, Rotom-W, Gastrodon (through Rindo) and Jellicent (if it's SDef). 60 HP is also cool since you can live through a Draco Meteor from Latios (Psyshock will obv. KO, but it's to give an idea of how bulky it is). Max speed is mainly just to speed tie w/ Terrakion, although it could be dropped to only beat base speed 100s. Helping Hand is a useful option in the 3rd slot since this team has multiple spread moves, and having the boost to net some additional KOs would definitely come in handy.

I'm going to put forth a pokemon who can help against some of this teams' issues Alright I'm done with careful, one-dimensional teambuilding, so I'm going to look at things from the big picture. I will put forth (although I also considered Sunny Day Cresselia):

The Destructor (Tornadus) @ Flying Gem
Trait: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Acrobatics
- Superpower
- Taunt
- Protect

I think a Grass-type is the wrong direction to head, we have Rotom-Wash for that, as Light Screen will shut things down, and a Grass 'mon would compound Flying weakness, making Shaymin-Sky in particular blow right through the team.

Something we are all missing is the fact that Tyranitar, who as far as I am concerned is what this team is built around, is completely Intimidate weak, Ground weak, and Fighting-type weak. The team also has trouble with numerous Grass types, as Volcarona can't beat them all, Ludicolo and Shaymin-Sky in particular. Tornadus glues all these weaknesses down with its powerful Acrobatics, and it additionally can make Intimidate switch-ins that would ruin Tyranitar, namely Hitmontop and Landorus-T, think twice about switching in. Taunt will also help vs Trick Room, which would obviously be very problematic otherwise. While this does compound Rock weakness, the obvious addition of a Steel-type in a later slot will probably remedy this, and the positives far outweigh the negatives.

The ability to take out Hitmontop alone is great for this team, so I don't really need to explain more about it, it is definitely the sort of Pokemon this team needs.

Last edited:

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Amazing input, Nollan! Yea, Tornadus is a great offensive partner that gives this team much needed boost in Speed and protection from Landorus-T. It's not without its flaws, though, being yet another Pokemon deathly weak to Rock Slide, and the team atm can be manhandled hard by Rotom-W, the team's only answer being Rotom-W.

Nominating Metagross.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Metagross serves a similar purpose as Tornadus in smashing problematic Intimidate users. Ice Punch to OHKO max HP Landorus-T, and Zen Headbutt easily finishes off Hitmontop. 172 Speed to be faster than speedy Hitmontop and min Spe Landorus-T and surprise kill them before they can touch Tyranitar or anybody else.

Tyranitar's offenses are resisted by Fighting- and Steel-types, so I figured I'd wanted a Pokemon that can dish heavy damage to them. This is why I also came to the conclusion of using Metagross, because it can dispose Fighting-types with STAB Zen Headbutt and Steel-types like Bisharp, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill with a super-effective Hammer Arm.

It also doesn't add too much weaknesses to the team. Fire-types are well handled between Tyranitar and Rotom-W, imo, and Metagross can sponge STAB spread EQ comfortably with the help of Shuca Berry. With the Ground-resist Berry, Metagross has essentially nothing to fear from Shaymin-S, either. In exchange, it offers us some solid resists against Rock Slides and Seed Flares.

Last edited:

Breloom @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
Adamant Nature
- Spore
- Mach Punch
- Bullet Seed
- Protect

Breloom has excellent synergy with Volcarona and Rotom-W. It's ability to blow past common Rock Slide spammers such as Terrakion and Tyranitar makes it a valuable teammate for Volcarona, and can switch into Grass-type moves threatening Rotom-W (except Shaymin-S, which we will probably need something for as the next poke), and the Rock and Water moves threatening Volcarona. Spore allows it to support Tyranitar in potentially giving itself and Tyranitar a free turn through putting an opposing pokemon to sleep, and is great utility for the team in general. Another useful trait of Breloom is that it demolishes opposing Sand teams; Rock Slide / EQ spam is looking kind of threatening to the team at the current time, and Breloom resists both. IT GET'S BETTER. Trick Room is looking like a pain in the ass right now for this team, and Spore will definitely help the team defeat more opposing Trick Room leads than it does at the moment; one rarely sees Lum Berry on Trick Room setters. Additionally, it also semi-counters rain teams with it's Grass typing, forming a sort of Rain-fighter (pun intended) core with Rotom-W I guess.
VOTE 4 LAGA I think Breloom is the most obvious choice for the next team member, as it patches up most of the weaknesses the team has whilst providing both a form of offense and utility.
I hate you for posting it first Laga.

Breloom is indeed a FAN-FUCKING-TASTIC choice for the team, as LoomMoth makes an amazing offensive lead pair, and with Breloom, you complete a FWG core with Rotom. It also carries the awesome 130 base Attack Mach Punch which takes out Excadrill no problem, and can actually beat Landorus-T as well with proper play. Resisting EQ+RS is a great choice for any mon obviously, and on a team with weaknesses to those things, it's priceless.

It also matches up well with the mon I will suggest next, but as far as Breloom goes, I think it's best served with Focus Sash. Although some may think "Why Sash Sand ruins Sash!" Not if you don't open with Sand. It also helps when your opponent expects you to not run Sash, and is sadly disappointed when they don't one-shot Breloom. Finally, Breloom is a perfect lead for this team when you don't want Sand up first turn (think against opposing Sand or Rain teams) and as such, Sash makes a great choice. Of course the drop in power from losing LO makes it a toss up choice, but I feel Sash has more immediate benefits to this team than Life Orb, especially on a team with Sand recoil. Another option might be Fighting Gem.

Also, Breloom misses Low Sweep for Speed control, and Stone Miss coverage, but the standard move set is fine here.

while i do like grass types for the team, here's a more conventional option for the team. even if it's not this round, i'd like this to see use.

Cresselia @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 52 SAtk / 200 HP / 116 Def / 140 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Ice Beam / Icy Wind
- Psyshock
- Trick Room
- Helping Hand

Cress is mostly here to deal with fighting types and provide Helping Hand support, which would make Tyranitar even more unstoppable after a Dragon Dance. even before dd, hh jolly ttar ohkoes 252 hp thundurus, mauls cresselia (after this cress's ice beam and a turn of sandstorm its an ohko). also with helping hand, if we change volc's item to bug gem, an hh bug buzz ohko's 252/252 calm cresselia, so thats neat. trick room lets us turn the tables on tailwind and more importantly lets us shift into a trick room mode to deal quick damage. even this works well with ttar since everyone and their mother runs enough speed to outspeed loom (or at least that's what people should be doing).

Amazing input, Nollan! Yea, Tornadus is a great offensive partner that gives this team much needed boost in Speed and protection from Landorus-T. It's not without its flaws, though, being yet another Pokemon deathly weak to Rock Slide, and the team atm can be manhandled hard by Rotom-W, the team's only answer being Rotom-W.

Nominating Metagross.

Metagross @ Shuca Berry
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Ice Punch

Metagross serves a similar purpose as Tornadus in smashing problematic Intimidate users. Ice Punch to OHKO max HP Landorus-T, and Zen Headbutt easily finishes off Hitmontop. 172 Speed to be faster than speedy Hitmontop and min Spe Landorus-T and surprise kill them before they can touch Tyranitar or anybody else.

Tyranitar's offenses are resisted by Fighting- and Steel-types, so I figured I'd wanted a Pokemon that can dish heavy damage to them. This is why I also came to the conclusion of using Metagross, because it can dispose Fighting-types with STAB Zen Headbutt and Steel-types like Bisharp, Ferrothorn, and Excadrill with a super-effective Hammer Arm.

It also doesn't add too much weaknesses to the team. Fire-types are well handled between Tyranitar and Rotom-W, imo, and Metagross can sponge STAB spread EQ comfortably with the help of Shuca Berry. With the Ground-resist Berry, Metagross has essentially nothing to fear from Shaymin-S, either. In exchange, it offers us some solid resists against Rock Slides and Seed Flares.
Yes, Metagross is a cool option, however, Hitmontop and Landorus-T will not be afraid to switch in when it is on the field, it isn't affected by Intimidate, but Tornadus actually becomes incredibly dangerous if someone lets Intimidate off the chain, which is a key advantage that Defiant has over Clear Body, and a key reason I nominated Tornadus.

-EDIT-

I'd also like to expand on my disagreement with where this team is headed in terms of Breloom/Virizion. Ok, so assuming Breloom/Virizion were to be picked we would have:

Volcarona, Breloom/Virizion, Tyranitar, Rotom-Wash

This set up leaves the team very weak to Grass and Flying types in general , especially Ludicolo, Shaymin-Sky, Tornadus, and others. While Volcarona and Rotom-Wash/Tyranitar will help remedy these, it does not change the fact that Breloom or Virizion do not provide much for the team in the big view. Sure, Spore support helps Tyranitar, but similar to Trick Room, you need to think about what the opposition might do, and Breloom will further the teams Flying weakness while doing little about Grass weakness, and Taunt will be shutting down a big portion of this team, stopping Dragon Dance, Rage Powder, Spore, and Light Screen. At this point (imo), we need to start working out the teams' weaknesses, rather than keep designing a core. The "core" is a starting point, the rest of the team is supporting and patching up the core's weaknesses. Logically, I think we should be headed that direction.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)