Durant Discussion Thread

Durant
Hp: 58
Atk: 109
Def: 112
SpAtk: 48
SpDef: 48
Speed: 109

Another Bug/Steel type with no Priority? Although it makes him slightly less of a sweeper, he is still amazing. Unfortunately the lack of priority is not the only thing missing from his movepool. Altholugh he can only really have one useful set because of this lacking movepool, he is still a huge threat in the UU metagame and can sweep entire teams.​

Standard Durant
Durant @Life Orb
Ability: Hustle
- Hone Claws
- Rock Slide/Thunder Fang
- Iron Head
- X-Scissor
Nature: Jolly/Adamant
EVs: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 Hp​

With Hustle, Durant's attack is already +1 which makes Hone Claws even more useful. After a Hone Claws the accuracy effect of Hustle is essentially nonexistant and his attack is boosted to +2. Iron Head and X-Scissor are both great STAB moves that are not resisted by much. Rock Slide takes care of Fire (Arcanine), Flying (Zapdos) while Thunder Fang takes care of Water types (Empoleon).​

In Conclusion, Durant is an amazing pokemon even though it only has one good ability, a few good moves and a low special defense stat.​

Stone Edge could get a mention, right? The power helps me out quite a bit and with an accuracy boost it's great. Also, no mention of his (unreleased) Dream World ability + Entrainment that everyone used to be talking about?

But yeah, Durant seems quite underrated.

Ace Emerald

Cyclic, lunar, metamorphosing
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Boosts don't add, they multiply. The +1 from hone claws times the 1.5 is 2.25 instead of 2, then 2.925 with LO instead of 2.6. It's a pretty big difference, you can tell just by taking attacks he hits really hard after a boost. Unfortunately, he can only take one neutral/two resisted physical attack(s) and zero special attacks without getting low on health.

I don't know why people don't use this poke more often. He may not have the best stats and moves but he has exactly what he needs to make him effective.
Definitely rock slide > thunder fang, as arcanine and zapdos are much more common switch ins than empoleon and both threaten him with fire moves

I don't know why people don't use this poke more often. He may not have the best stats and moves but he has exactly what he needs to make him effective.
Definitely rock slide > thunder fang, as arcanine and zapdos are much more common switch ins than empoleon and both threaten him with fire moves
You just said one reason = AKA fire and with all the chlorophyll users with HP fire and with drought amplifying that his typing overall doesn't help him in UU. Along with all the WoW users in UU chances are they'll be able to pull off a WoW while you set up. In addition is his low HP since even with a great Def stat his HP is too low - and he won't last too long either thanks to Life orb - so setting up with him is a pain and chances are you won't be sweeping much given his longevity. Then there is hustle with its double edged sword - while you could work around this thanks to hone claws - without boosting that drop in accuracy in Durants is a huge gamble. Then we also have the issue of faster pokes that are currently running around UU that can easily revenge him (e.g. Azelf & Jolteon). Course there are many other reasons but long story short he's incredibly difficult to use.

Unfortunately Emboar defeats him. You should know.
After a Hone Claws an Adamant Hustle Durant with Life Orb:

Rock Slide does 77.6%~91.5% damage to a 252 HP Emboar
Rock Slide does 88.7%~104.6% damage to a 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe Emboar (my own flame charge set)

So yeah, even though my naive arrogance will rise, Emboar does in fact defeat Durant. Even with my own flame charge set (as Emboar would in fact be faster after a flame charge).

jas61292

used substitute
is a Community Contributoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Rock Slide does 88.7%~104.6% damage to a 40 HP/252 Atk/216 Spe Emboar (my own flame charge set)

So yeah, even though my naive arrogance will rise, Emboar does in fact defeat Durant.
Though based on those calcs, I'm fairly certain Durant would win if it chooses to run Stone Edge. Assuming it hits, that is.

Yeah Stone Edge should be an option... and I don't think there's any Water/Flying types in UU that are particularly relevant, so I doubt Thunder Fang is worth considering.

Dugtrio and Magneton are worthy teammates, hitting prominent Steel-types such as Registeel and Steelix, respectively, on their typically weaker defenses.

So yeah, even though my naive arrogance will rise, Emboar does in fact defeat Durant. Even with my own flame charge set (as Emboar would in fact be faster after a flame charge).
You can't be playing very good players then if they are sending in a Durant against a +1 speed Emboar.

Stone Edge is best if you have two Claw Sharpen on your hand, still you have the bulk of a plastic bad so you better go into something you can scare

Are you including Stealth Rock and Spikes in those calculations? It's an important thing to consider for OHKOs.

Durant is interesting, okayish stats and movepool, but it's weak to it's rival...
It's not a real rivalry, it's a PredPrey relationship. Rivalry is a bad word to use here, as it implies the two pokemon are somewhat equal, and if going by type alone, it's obviously not the case. Zangoose and Seviper are rivals, Heatmor and Durant are not.

However, as said before, Durant can easily beat Heatmor with Rock Slide anyway, which is fairly ironic. Trollfreak strikes again.

Do accuracy boosts work like stat boosts? If they did, after one Hone Claws anything 70 or higher would be over 100% accuracy.

I've been using Durant for quite a while, and everything they say about him is true, he can barely take one hit, and only if its not special, the best times i've found to use it is by forcing switches, then depending on your set, you can substitute, or set up, either way, you will probably get outspeed and koed, even with screen up, its difficult to set up.

Stone Edge is a Gamble, unboosted, most of the time will miss, but its added power is welcome if you run empoleon and registeel checks.

But when the chips are down, he's pretty hard to stop

That 112 Base defense and good defensive typing looks impressive, but since he's mainly going to be attempting sweeps, Durant will often find it's defenses uninvested.

Uninvested Durant is NOT durable at all. Brave Bird from ScarfBraviary WILL NEARLY OHKO.

Once you get rid of steel types, this thing will almost always take down a Pokemon (depending on whether or not I hit or not). I run the X-Scissor, Iron Head, Stone Edge, Hone Claws set, which is walled only by most steel types and Poliwrath.

This works great with Rotom-H, I've found. Durant lures out scarf users after they've lost a Pokemon, and Rotom-H can handle anything that stuff like Scarf Flygon usually wants to do to Durant. Rotom-H also takes on and beats most steel types, although it can't switch in directly into certain ones like Empoleon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)