Early Specuation: Bug Types

Generation V brings about what is surely a crippling feature in the metagame, at least from our Gen IV perspective of the game: the loss of Ghost Types' ability to block Rapid Spin. This change, combined with the fact that Stealth Rock is no longer a TM and thus has a smaller move pool availability, allows a number of Pokemon types to be more viable than before in the metagame. This thread specifically focuses on the Bug type, known for their horribly compounded weakness to the entry hazard. Offensive behemoths such as Heracross and Scizor, provided Scizor is not replaced by Technician Breloom as the priority master, should continue to muscle their way through teams, whereas Yanmega, known for it's quad weakness to Rock, will surely have a much easier time coming in and wreaking havoc on opposing teams; even Shedinja will have have added survivability. Generation V also brings along several interesting new Bugs; among them are two surprising entries, Dentura and Urugamosu. Dentura boasts a unique Bug/Electric typing, base 108 Speed, and a respectable base 97 Sp. Atk. Urugamosu is part Fire and Bug, an incredible base 135 Sp. Atk, base 105 Sp. Def, base 100 Speed, and a quad weakness to Stealth Rock, which should be nowhere near the inhibitor it was this generation. There are many other Bug types being introduced as well in Generation 5, but these are two that I feel will make most impact in OU. My speculation is that the Bug type has a fantastic representation and will settle in nicely into the future metagame. Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Bug should get a major boost within fifth gen. The two most common types are Fighting and Bug, with Psychic high up there too.

I am hype, now more so with less stealth rock to worry about.

Denchura and Urugoamosu both also learn the new Sp Atk, Sp Def, Speed boosting move, giving them both great potential as set up sweepers. I'm very excited about Denchura firing off reliable boosted, STAB Thunders thanks to compound eyes.

Don't downplay Stealth Rock too much. It may have taken a blow by not being a TM anymore, but that doesn't mean that less Pokemon will have it. Pokemon can be transferred from 4th to 5th gen. The huge number of new bug and fire types will certainly drive people to keep including SR on their team.

@ FerrariCUBU

I agree that there has been no greater need, theoretically, to keep Stealth Rock set up, with the possibility of Fire, Flying, Ice, and, of course, Bug types rampaging all over. I'm just saying that that since Spinblockers cannot use Normal immunity to stop Spinners from doing their job, Bugs stand a better chance of not being killed by entry hazards+priority moves, along with the other types mentioned.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)