"Electrified" An OU Warstory

So this is my second warstory in Stark, and it comes from the OU ladder, instead of UU like the last one. I had tried to run some balanced teams in OU, but none were winning over half of their matches, so I decided to start again. Being out of OU for so long really hurt my OU team building abilities, so I said, "The heck with it!" I threw together a team of OU heavy hitters, with okay synergy between them, and began laddering once more. To my surprise, the team flew through a bunch of matches while losing some in between, but I was happy with how it was performing. Heavy offense is a very glamorous playstyle, and I was winning with it, so I was very happy with the team. However, I had gotten into a bit of a slump, losing four in a row, when another battle came up, and it turned out to be one of the best battles I've had. I did not get the chance to ask my opponent if I could warstory this, so in this warstory he will be known as The Devil's Advocate. Read on to see how the battle between a very pious Friar and the cold-hearted Devil's Advocate went down!

Friar's Team:

The Devil's Advocate's team is at the bottom if you'd like to look, but if you want to see the battle how it unfolded for me, just keep reading!

Rules:
Ladder Match
Sleep Clause
Freeze Clause
OHKO Clause
Evasion Clause
Species Clause
Strict Damage Clause
Soul Dew Clause

Nicknames will be omitted
Life Orb will be omitted
-Friar's Salamence, Metagross, and Suicune
-The Devil's Advocate's Salamence and Scizor
Stealth Rock will be omitted
Score will be presented at each KO (Friar-The Devil's Advocate)
Log will be in BOLD

The Devil's Advocate sent out Mamoswine (lvl 100 Mamoswine ?).
Friar sent out Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).

So my lead of choice is Infernape. For a team as hyper offensive as mine is, there aren't many leads I considered over LeadApe. Infernape also owns Mamoswine, so I feel pretty good off the bat. There is a possibily he is packing Life Orb, so I could be able to OHKO him before he even has a chance to move. However, I am one of the most conservative offensive players you will find, so I decide to use a risk free Fake Out.

Infernape used Fake Out.
Mamoswine lost 12% of its health.
Mamoswine flinched!

-100%
-88%

Turn 1 ends with my team up 12%. I still have Stealth Rock I need to set up for my other sweepers, but the prospect of going a whole match without Stealth Rock on my side of the field entices me into keeping up the offensive with Close Combat, if he switches in a resist, I still have my Sash, so I can set up SR at that time. So Close Combat seems pretty risk-free as well.

Infernape used Close Combat.
It's super effective!
Mamoswine lost 88% of its health.
The Devil's Advocate's Mamoswine fainted.
Infernape's defence was lowered.
Infernape's special defence was lowered.

(6-5)

I couldn't have asked for a better opening. Not only am I up a quick 6-5, but I most likely won't have to worry about Stealth Rock hampering my switch ins throughout the match! I also still have my sash to abuse the lack of entry hazards, so life is looking good.

The Devil's Advocate switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Infernape's attack!

-100%
-100%

The Devil's Advocate decides to bring in the mighty Salamence to avenge the death of his Mamoswine. The goal of a match up between offensive teams is find a way to beat them before they can sweep you. Salamence is one of those pokemon that has the power to sweep an offensive team easily. Luckily, I have CB Scizor waiting in the wings, so Salamence won't get far. However, my Scizor places emphasis on bulk over power, so Infernape needs to get Salamence around 65% for Scizor to be able to revenge kill. With my sash intact, I really have a free turn against Salamence. If he DD's while I SR, I get SR off and can hit him again next turn as he activates my sash. If he attacks here, he activates my sash as I set up SR and then I can hit him as I outspeed next turn. Isn't Infernape an awesome lead?

Infernape used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
Salamence used Earthquake.
It's super effective!
Infernape lost 100% of its health.
Infernape hung on using its Focus Sash!
Salamence lost 10% of its health.

-1%
-90%

Seeing Earthquake and Life Orb doesn't give me a 100% answer as to which set Salamence is running. It could be DD Mence, or MixMence. However, my plan is to sac Infernape here to put Salamence in Scizor's Bullet Punch KO range, so as long as this thing isn't tremendously bulky, I should down Salamence while only losing Infernape, who is a suicide lead anyway. I am Intimidated, and Close Combat is NVE, so I am hesitant to use that. However, with my sash activated, I am in Blaze range, which along with STAB bypasses the resist that Salamence boasts to the attack. The only downside is the subpar accuracy, and if I miss, I will have to find another way around Salamence as Scizor won't be able to KO.

Infernape used Fire Blast.
It's not very effective...
Salamence lost 51% of its health.
Salamence used Flamethrower.
Infernape lost 1% of its health.
Friar's Infernape fainted.

(5-5)

Infernape is a BEAST! Infernape knocks a damn respectable 51% off Salamence as he bites the dust. Salamence is now easy pickings for Scizor and his 90 base power Bullet Punch.

Friar switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
Salamence lost 29% of its health.
The Devil's Advocate's Salamence fainted.

(5-4)

The Devil's Advocate uses Salamence to get a free switch to another of his team members. Salamence, whether Mixed or DD, can cause serious problems, so I am glad he is gone.

The Devil's Advocate switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).

-100%
-94%

Swampert switches in, and Swampie obviously resists Bullet Punch, so I will have to switch out. My plan to get Flygon in on an Earthquake, and then get Suicune in on an Ice or Water attack. Suicune hits like a nuke against offensive teams and has the bulk to allow me to take out a fair few pokemon. Sadly, it is also the best switch in to Swampert I have. Suicune is not invincible, so I don't want to eat a STAB Earthquake on my way in. So a little resistance abuse is in order.

Friar switched in Flygon (lvl 100 Flygon ?).
Swampert used Waterfall.
Flygon lost 71% of its health.

-29%
-94%

Balls. In retrospect I don't think my plan was bad, it just didn't work out. Earthquake had the higher base power, so that is what I assumed he would use. Flygon can't take another Waterfall, but Suicune would love to come in on one. When something is as fast as ScarfFlygon, you can do some U Turn abuse, instead of simply switching.

Flygon used U-turn.
Swampert lost 19% of its health.
Friar switched in Suicune (lvl 100 Suicune).
Suicune is exerting its pressure!
Swampert used Waterfall.
Suicune lost 25% of its health.

-75%
-94%

Flygon knocks off about a fifth of Swampert's health and completes his task of getting Suicune in relatively unharmed. Suicune is my one set up sweeper, and I intend to use the Calm Mind boost to my advantage against whatever The Devil's Advocate wants to switch in.

The Devil's Advocate switched in Jolteon (lvl 100 Jolteon ?).
Suicune used Calm Mind.
Suicune's special attack was raised.
Suicune's special defence was raised.

-75%
-88%

Damn. No sweep for Suicune. Even with a Calm Mind boost, staying in against a probably Specs'd Jolteon is a bad plan. In the back of my mind, I thought, "Wow Jolteon could have taken a big hit there, that was not a very safe switch in." That makes me think that The Devil's Advocate is under prepared for my Suicune. That is good to know, because if I can get Jolteon dead, Suicune might be able to rampage. Also, if a pokemon can sweep you if you mispredict, you are probably going to make the conservative play. I expect The Devil's Advocate to Thunderbolt
Suicune instead of predicting the Flygon switch in and hitting it with Shadow Ball. With that idea in my head, I decide to switch in Flygon.

Jolteon used Thunderbolt.
It doesn't affect Flygon...

-29%
-88%

Ah, the sweet smell of success. The Devil's Advocate plays right into my hands on that one. The next play is fairly obvious. Jolteon is choiced into a move that doesn't effect Flygon, so he will switch. Therefore, I shall use U Turn to keep my team in control after the switch.

The Devil's Advocate switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Flygon used U-turn.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.

Well that was some piddly-squat damage, even SR outdamaged my attack :/ I think The Devil's Advocate is under prepared for my Suicune, to I intend to bring him back in here to try and weaken his counters.

Friar switched in Suicune (lvl 100 Suicune).
Suicune is exerting its pressure!

-75%
-90%

Calm Minding here would be a dumb mistake, as Jolteon can easily threaten me out with Thunderbolt. Therefore, I decide to let loose an unboosted Hydro Pump, which will get Jolteon as close to fainting as I can get. The Suicune sweep could be imminent here, if I can just KO that Jolteon.

Suicune used Hydro Pump.
Scizor lost 62% of its health.
Suicune lost 10% of its health.
Scizor used U-turn.
Suicune lost 43% of its health.
The Devil's Advocate switched in Infernape (lvl 100 Infernape ?).

-21%
-88%

Good play here by The Devil's Advocate, even sinfully good! The Devil's Advocate uses Scizor as a shield to get Infernape in unscatched. Suicune is almost dead now and won't able to take a hit and set up, let alone sweep, so I decide to humor The Devil's Advocate by sacrificing my Suicune here.

Infernape used U-turn.
Suicune lost 21% of its health.
Friar's Suicune fainted.
The Devil's Advocate's Scizor fainted.

(4-3)

The Devil's Advocate is a pro at using U Turn. Infernape takes out Suicune with U Turn, which was also scouting for a switch, and sacrifices his Scizor to the pointed stones. This is expert use of fodder on The Devil's Advocate's part, because instead of me knowing what he will switch in, its a blind switch in for us both. I decide to go to Flygon here, because nothing I have seen can outspeed him.

The Devil's Advocate switched in Swampert (lvl 100 Swampert ?).

-29%
-68%

Swampert is not best case scenario. I remember how much Swampie did to Flygon, and I suddenly realize its banded. Nothing that I don't need can take two CB Waterfalls, to I decide use Flygon to do as much damage as possible so Swamie is adequately weakened for another pokemon to break it.

Flygon used Outrage.
Flygon went on a rampage!
Swampert lost 54% of its health.
Swampert used Waterfall.
Flygon lost 29% of its health.
Friar's Flygon fainted.

(3-3)

54% was definitley lackluster, but it is weakened enough. My friend MixMence is ready to rain pain on The Devil's Advocate's team. He can hopefully break down some pokemon he really needs so I can clean up with one of my remaining powerhouses.

Friar switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Swampert's attack!

-100%
-14%

I decide to go for Earthquake to guard against the potential for either Infernape or Jolteon to switch in.

Swampert lost 14% of its health.
The Devil Advocate's Swampert fainted.

(3-2)

Swampert is always tough for my team to break, so it is good to see it gone. However, my opening to win this match is shutting quickly, because Jolteon is not going down without causing quite a storm in my ranks.

-90%
-76%

The yellow menace enters the battlefield once more. I can't let Salamence take a Thunderbolt as it will overwhelm him. I really have no plan at this point. My "plan" is sac Metagross so Scizor can have a chance to crit Jolteon and win. Quite a plan I must say.

Friar switched in Metagross (lvl 100 Metagross).
Metagross lost 70% of its health.

-30%
-76%

Metagross lost 30% of its health.
Friar's Metagross fainted.

(2-2)

And Metagross tumbles down. Scizor enters once more, running on pure adrenaline, while I pray to Arceus that I get a crit on Bullet Punch.

Friar switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).

-100%
-76%

Infernape lost 39% of its health.

-100%
-36%

The Devil's Advocate switches in Infernape here, apparently confident he could take the Bullet Punch with his x2 resist. But I can KO him here and now with another Bullet Punch, so the final showdown between Scizor and Jolteon is coming. That is, if Scizor takes this Mach Punch like he's supposed to. Remember, we saw Infernape U Turn earlier this match, so it is safe to assume it is CB. *Suspense*

Infernape used Mach Punch.
Scizor lost 29% of its health.
Infernape lost 36% of its health.
The Devil's Advocate Infernape fainted.

(2-1)

Ok, Infernape is out of my hair. PLEASE ARCEUS LET ME GET A CRIT!

-71%
-63%

Jolteon lost 51% of its health.
Scizor lost 71% of its health.
Friar's Scizor fainted.

(1-1)

Shoot. That pretty much wraps things up here. Arceus was too busy getting ready to be released at level 100 to answer my prayer. Salamence gets to be slain for both Jolteon's and the Devil's Advocate's enjoyment.

Friar switched in Salamence (lvl 100 Salamence ?).
Salamence's intimidate cut Jolteon's attack!

-90%
-11%

You guys know the drill here. Salamence is OHKO'd by SpecsJolt after SR damage...
...wait...SR ISN'T UP! I have a chance! Can Salamence take a SpecsJolt Thunderbolt at 90% health and reply with a swift KO to win the match?

Salamence lost 89% of its health.
SALAMENCE SURVIVES WITH ONE PERCENT!
It's super effective!
Jolteon lost 11% of its health.
The Devil's Advocate's Jolteon fainted.
Life Orb doesn't happen in the last move on Shoddy, neener neener
Friar wins!

(1-0)

Whew! Salamence escapes Jolteon's wrath with 1% health and seals the match for the good guys! Now for Props and Slops!

Props:
My Infernape, for stopping SR, as well as dominating the early game
Jolteon, for being the thorn in my team's side
Swampert, for hitting my pretty frail team like a ton of bricks
My Salamence, for finding a way to win
Stauffen, for making my opponent's team (I just noticed that :P)

Slops:
Not too many, I just thought him switching in Infernape at the end was strange, and I keep re-playing if
sacrificing Flygon was the right call.

Extras:
On WiFi, this would have been a tie because Salamence would have taken LO recoil and would have fainted.
Not a single pokemon had leftovers O_O

Thank you for reading this warstory. I hope I improved from my first one, but most of all hope you enjoyed it.

And finally: The Devil's Advocate's Team (was Stauffen's before):

Oh really? Thanks. I dont know my coverages very well for rarely seen attacking types. Will edit that part.
EDIT: Done.

Good prediction on both parts and very little (if any?) hax. It was a good read and a nice warstory. ^_^

My only withdrawl is the amount of dependency you put on Scizor.

reachzero

the pastor of disaster
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First of all, let me say that that was a tremendous warstory, probably one of the best I've read so far. Kudos. Just a few criticisms; first, your opponent completely misplayed the first two turns, the outcome was extremely predictable. I'd love to know what he was thinking. Second, there was this:
Swampert lost 14% of its health.
The Devil Advocate's Swampert fainted.
When I read this, I said....uh....did he input this battle by hand? Swampert is neutral to Ground-type attacks like EQ. So I don't know what happened there. Otherwise, though, this was a VERY enjoyable warstory with some really excellent comments.

@ Reachzero-It must have been copy/pasted accidently from somewhere else in the battle while I was formatting it. Will fix that as well.

Glad to see people are enjoying the warstory.

I didn't get this:

Flygon used U-turn.
Scizor lost 10% of its health.

Well that was some piddly-squat damage, even SR outdamaged my attack :/
-75%
-90%

Suicune used Hydro Pump.
Scizor lost 62% of its health.
Suicune lost 10% of its health.
Scizor used U-turn.
Suicune lost 43% of its health.

Infernape used U-turn.
Suicune lost 21% of its health.
Friar's Suicune fainted.
The Devil's Advocate's Scizor fainted.

How did Scizor faint? I guess you missed some SR damage, but 4% is missing even with that... double check that part.
Aside from that, good read and nice finish.

Erazor

✓ Just Doug It
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
A very nice read. I really enjoyed this, it was a good battle, and I was impressed with his use of death fodder. Overall, a very good warstory.

Thanks for the nice comments ^_^

@ Blue Tornado
Many warstories leave out extraneous SR damage, so I decided to leave out SR damage as well. I thought long and hard about leaving the stealth rock message in that one turn, but decided talking about Scizor fainting due to SR in the comments was enough. I also rounded many of the percentages to match the log as best I could, because they often didn't match, just as you said, so the 4% was in there, it just got rounded over a couple of SR switch ins and the Flygon U Turn and Suicune's Hydro Pump.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Decent warstory, although your opponent pretty much had you beat and he let you win by switching in that Infernape. He probably didn't think that through too well, but yeah I guess this warstory shows how SpecsJolt is great at keeping the pace on all these new bulky offense teams, and the handiness of U-Turn. Well done.

Very nice!

One of the better warstories I've read, just goes to prove that offense can still be played effectively if you've got the strategical skill to run it.
Oh yeah and eff U-Turn.

meh, i almost stopped reading after you killed his mamo... Other than that it was a good battle although i don't know why did he switch his jolteon for ape against scizor, bp wasn't a ohko and the tbolt woulda finished it anyway, then his ape outspeeds your mence.
Don't get me wrong, it's an ok warstory but 3 of your pokes were the same, to me that's a turn off

Your opponent played very poorly. Leaving Mamoswine in when Swampert was available, knowing you had a Flygon and using Thunderbolt. You also should have realized Swampert was banded when it took off 25% of Suicune's health, and didn't use Surf like most Swamperts. The only part that was pretty good was the ending where Salamence survived.

Although the battle wasn't the greatest, the comments were decent. You summed everything up in nice consice sentences.

Poor plays from both sides made this a mediocre battle. He had you beat with Jolteon, just a pity it didn't roll a bit closer to maximum damage on that Thunderbolt. By the way guys, that couldn't be a SpecsJolt, just a Timid variant running max Special Attack; if so, Salamence would have been easily toast (Thunderbolt from 252 Sp. Atk Timid SpecsJolt is 110% minimum :\). I haven't seen the team Stauffen made, maybe s/he uses a SpecsJolt, but this isn't one here if I did my calculations correctly.

You're not really a conservative offensive player if you like to gamble with moves like Fire Blast and Hydro Pump. They tend to miss at the most opportune times.. ;P

Sacking Mamoswine was a poor choice on your opponent's part, as bringing in Salamence or Swampert in on the Fake Out would have tilted the match in his favor. Even then he managed to catch up with a good use of Jolteon, Swampert, and U-Turn. It's kind of sad that you laid your hopes of winning the match on the off-chance that Scizor would snag a critical on Jolteon. :\

Otherwise, the commentary was succinct, but there were some consistency issues with your grammar and spelling, so look out for that next time. This attempt is certainly a good step forward to writing a great warstory in the future.

Give my opponent some credit!

I'm almost certain Specs Jolteon doesn't OHKO Salamence without SR. The Smogon analysis says it "takes a big chunk" which doesn't mean it OHKO's. The SpecsJolt also doesn't OHKO my Scizor variant from 100%, meaning he had to let somthing die, either Infernape or Jolteon. He chose Infernape, which was the right choice because it had nothing to touch Mence with (Stauffen's moveset was U Turn/Mach Punch/Close Combat/Flare Blitz). Using Ape, he could also put Scizor into TBolt range. I know he played badly at the beginning, but his use of SpecsJolt and his U Turners was at the level of any top player, so I don't believe he played outright bad. He made one of the best comebacks I ever witnessed.

Also, after running calcs, I didn't need to crit Jolteon. Jolt couldn't OHKO me while I 2HKO with Bullet Punch. Then Mence beats Ape one on one, so he actually made a very intelligent play in sacking Ape, and the best play for the situation, so it was actually not a slop! In fact, The Devil's Advocate outplayed me for the most part after the first two turns, except for the Thunderbolt into Flygon. I think he made the best decision he could at that point as well though. If he had lost Jolteon to a mispredict, I would have won in 4-0 or 5-0. Thunderbolt at least assured Jolt stayed alive. Give this guy more credit, outside of the first two moves, he played a great match. Between the two of us, especially his moves, along with calcs, you see he did everything he could to win.

Your opponent did have some good plays, I was just remarking about how he let the first few rounds slip away from him. I wasn't trying to devoid him of any considerable credit. :P

Yes, I did manage to skew the Jolteon calculations, my bad. I thought Salamence had a weakness to Electric when inputting the variables, that overshot the output by a margin. Thunderbolt's damage would max out at around 88%, which makes your win all the more valid. This definitely redeems it quite a bit in my eyes, since I had thought until now that you only won due to hax.

Great warstory. It really felt like all your comments showed how you were thinking during the battle, and both of you played really well (except for the first few turns, but that's already been discussed).

I suppose you could have switched Salamence back into Infernape at the end, because the only reason he would have switched into a BP 2HKO is to take a chunk off Scizor with Mach Punch. Then EQ takes out either Jolteon or Infernape and Scizor finishes the other. But your ending was much more suspenseful, haha.

I really liked the comments, they were very insightful but not too long. The battle was good, not great. Overall I enjoyed it, good job.

reyscarface

is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusdefeated the Smogon Frontier
World Defender
wow, nice warstory with some good moves, but theres something intriguing me. Whats your metagross moveset? Is it an agilitygross?

Nice warstory! Really close match. Although I think you're opponent should have broken Infernape's Sash with an Ice Shard rather than sacrificing it, but w/e. Enjoyable read, nice job!

Good warstory, but really no warstory needs the "scroll down to find out what happens!" stuff. Let those of us who read in order have everything spaced normally, rather than that making that one guy who is like "omg I can't wait to see what happens I have to skip!!!" keep the suspense up a little longer.

That was a pretty good warstory. Nice commentary. Your opponent played a few weird moves, but all in all, good battle.

I'm gettting all kinds of ranging coments >.>
Anyway, after I explained myself and my opponent's moves, it looks like people got the drift. Thank you for the positive comments.
@ ReyScarface: yes its agiligross. It gets free set up on scizor bp, and will most likely take something down with it, barring Rotom-A. Surprised you're interested, because it amounted to death fodder this match.

It's easy for critics to point out what the trainers did wrong, but few make all the right decisions when the clock's ticking and the match is on the line. Strategy was largely solid on both sides, congratulations to you both on a match well fought. I enjoyed the commentary as well, it was insightful and made the battle more interesting than it would have been otherwise.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)