Epic Mickey

So here, we have a game...starring Mickey Mouse...that is actually playable.

GASP.

But anyways, I got this game about a week ago and it's surprisingly fun. Nice mechanics, good controls, decent graphics, the works. The main problem I have with it is the horrendous camera.

So anyways, discuss.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Saying it's actually playable sounds odd considering how many good Mickey Mouse titles there used to be... I was pretty hyped for this back when the concept art first leaked but haven't really cared since we found out more about it =/

It starts off really bad. I mean really bad. I think this was kind of the point though, as the game progresses it gets better and better and better.

Haven't finished it yet though. Trying to get the platinum trophy on AC:B. :)

I tend to speedrun through new games on my first run, then go back and get 100% or whatever, so yeah.

@Firestorm: Yeah, there used to be good Mickey Mouse games, but there hasn't been one for, oh, about 7 years or something.

@Arch: I think you might be overstating the beginning a little. Sure, the Dark Beauty Castle sequence is crap, but the first area (carnival or whatever) is decent. Gremlin Town sucks though.

Also, lol at two people with Charmander avatars posting in a row. And even better, at the time of posting, one has 508 posts and one has 5,008. That's just freaky.

Also, lol at two people with Charmander avatars posting in a row. And even better, at the time of posting, one has 508 posts and one has 5,008. That's just freaky.
Dear God...

And still, I thought the beginning was generally pretty bad. Gets pretty great though. I'll have to finish it sometime this week.

I actually just beat the game. I didn't love the game but didn't hate it either. It was just an average game not much to say.

By the way, what did you guys think about the platforming parts? I think they're pretty cool, but hard to do with an analog stick.

i played it at bestbuy today and the jumping and the camera is kinda weird.
basically i think its a weaker super mario galaxy one and two

Well you know...there's this little thing...paint...and IT'S SORT OF THE WHOLE POINT OF THE ENTIRE GAME.

Just thought I'd point that out.

yeah i know but SMG2 is better in every way in the first 10 or so minutes of the game.
i mean a spin attack? whered they they get that

...good controls, decent graphics...
Wait, I thought this game was for the Wii. But really, is it worth getting? The previews looked promising but I never actually heard reliable information on whether or not it's good or just cool for the sake of being a serious Mickey Mouse game

Spinning is a totally useless game mechanic.

But the paint is actually pretty cool. It's just a nice feeling to run around in an amusement park erasing all the rides...and then repainting and totally repairing them.

Spinning is a totally useless game mechanic.

But the paint is actually pretty cool. It's just a nice feeling to run around in an amusement park erasing all the rides...and then repainting and totally repairing them.
I wouldn't say that Spinning is useless--I made pretty frequent use of it to stun enemies when I had to fight at close range. If the game didn't have it, it would have been a whole lot more annoying to play through for me, since neither paint or thinner really stop an enemy from advancing towards you and the lock-on system is really kind of weird/not very reliable.

Yes, spinning is very helpful dunring combat, but it seems like a tacked-on addition. the delvelopers surely could have figured out a different way to do everything spin does. Perhaps a shield with the brush or something.

Wait, I thought this game was for the Wii. But really, is it worth getting? The previews looked promising but I never actually heard reliable information on whether or not it's good or just cool for the sake of being a serious Mickey Mouse game
It's a love/hate game. Some people are calling it a masterpiece, others are calling it an outdated, overhyped generic platformer. Whether or not you enjoy it seems to be pretty heavily influenced on what era of gaming you grew up in, and what you actually enjoy in a game.

Just to break it down ;

Good

• Story is great, the writing and the general themes are basically old school Disney to the letter, heck Epic Mickey's plot is arguably best described as a classic Dinsey film with a lot more depth to it, although whether you enjoy it will be heavily dependent on whether you like Disney in the first place. Also has a pretty signficiant "your actions affect X and Y" theme going. Quite like Deus Ex in the sense that there are 3 set endings, but the plot leading up to them is very dependent on how you act throughout the game.
  • Visuals are pretty awesome, the game uses the Gamebryo engine and for the most part has some generally impressive graphics (By SD standards). The art direction is really great, reminds me a lot of a mix between classic Disney and Majora's Mask oddly enough.
  • The boss battles are fun on the whole, and figuring out how to defeat them in different ways has a lot of appeal. If the whole game had the complexity some of the bosses have, it could have been a much more thrilling experience really.
  • The game is actually pretty long at around 8-15 hours depending on the paths you take and how much you explore, and there's a lot of replay value.
  • Lots of unlockable content, including a lot of classic Dinsey shorts. The sheer amount Disney fanservice both in-game and in the unlockables is really incredible.
Mixed
  • Soundtrack is hit and miss for the most part, some of the songs are great and nearly all of them are 'fitting' but there's only a couple really memorable tracks.
  • Platforming is pretty heavily influenced by N64/PSX platformers, most notably Rayman 2 and the Gex games. Some people think it's great, others think it's a pointless attempt to modernize an outdated style.
  • Paint/Thinner mechanics are a cool novelty for a while, but they're never really utilized in a way that really makes you 'think' and all in all they really could of done more with them. I suppose for lack of a better description there aren't really enough puzzles that actually make intuitive use of them, most of the 'puzzles' are just "Pint and hold B/Z at highlighted object".
  • The quest system in the game is a mixed bag. Unlike say a game like Borderlands where you're given a marker to tell you where you need to go to find your objectives, Epic Mickey leaves you to find it on your own accord. At times this allows for freedom and some fun exploring of some cool areas, and at other it's just plain obnoxious. It's especially irritating in some of the arbritary fetch quests which are really just fucking annoying.
  • It's also worth noting that a great deal of Epic Mickey's content lies in the sidequests. This can be either awesome or horrible depending on your point of view.
Bad
  • The camera is haphazard at best and absolutely mind-numbingly awful at worst, by extension the already finnicky jump mechanics can become just downright cruel at points. For the most part you can adjust it on your own accord but sometimes it locks into inconvinient positions, and the d-pad controls are slow and floaty at the best of times. You can auto-center it with C button but that doesn't always work. It's probably the biggest and only universal gripe everyone has with the game.
  • Combat is terrible and probably the worst aspect of the game besides the camera. The enemies don't provide any real threat as opposed to simply been an annoyance, and most fights are either "point and hold B/Z" or "shake the remote, then point and hold B/Z".
  • There are far too many badly designed fetch quests. I haven't got a clue who thought it would be a good idea to pad out the game's already impressive length with them, but they're some of the most irritating kinds I've seen in a game. Thankfully a lot of them are optional, but if you're a completionist, well god help you.
  • No manual save mechanics, it's entirely Auto-Save. Whilst I have no idea why this surprises me given it's a console game, it still bugs me a lot (Disregard this if you aren't a shameless PC elitist like myself).
t;dr I'd call it around a 6 or a 7 out of 10 myself, if you can put up with the more irritating faults then the game has a lot to offer but I really wouldn't blame anyone for giving up on the game and just watching a playthrough on Youtube. You're much better off renting the game first, or potentially waiting for the price to drop if you aren't desperate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)