Walrus Fagtron's Walrus (currently on cat 10, reveals in Discord)

termi

bike is short for bichael
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
Top 10:

I can't help but disagree with that saxophone. Fun song though, CRJ should be one of the biggest pop stars around but alas, no justice.
I only know the odd track by these guys, might have to venture into their discography eventually. Nothing out of the ordinary in terms of 90s alt rock necessarily, but it's a very solid and catchy tune so who care.
7.3 + 0.5 + 0.7*2

Unlike Lectrys my knowledge of classical music goes no further than "I like this" for the most, I have been taught some music theory but it never interested me. Anyway, I like this piece. It's initially quite foreboding, eventually resolves into a brighter middle section before returning to starting positions. One complaint I do have is that the intro motif sounds a bit... flat? I don't know what word I would use for it but it doesn't sit well with me.
Lectrys sez: "I'm a big fan of instrumental music. I'm a big fan of fast music. This piece tickles both of these fancies of mine.
And that's just the start. I like more piquant harmonies (the vi-IV-I-V chord progression gets old fast, for example), and this song has them in spades. I like structure in music because I want to hear the awesome parts again and again, and this piece has a clear musical structure. (It's in rounded binary form, if you're curious.)
This is also one of those uncommon scherzos where the middle portion doesn't drag down the piece, IMO--instead, it's stark, majestic, and daring.
I'm also somewhat sensitive to the quality of interpretations/covers--the Jack Gibbons interpretation uses too much pedal, IMO. This Bernard Ringeissen interpretation is definitely better, at least to my ears.
So dang straight does this represent my musical tastes. It's one of my absolute favourite pieces."

7.4 + 0.7*2

Pretty representative of your music taste, knowing you, but not quite enough for cat bonus. Really solid blackened thrash stuff, I like it when it slows down for a while around the three minute mark, BM can get tiresome after a while so having it switch up a bit is very nice.

I can never sit through a whole album of these guys without getting slightly bored, but this song's undeniably solid. Don't have a whole lot to say on it. The message of the song is a little too generalistic to be worth the cat bonus for me, a little blurb explaining why this suits you in particular might have done the trick.
7.6 + 0.5

Wasn't sure what to make of this one initially but it started clicking upon listening to it for a second time. Certainly an odd one with the chorus lifted from a Pixies song and the very liberal usage of autotune (did Farrah Abraham listen to this record?), but it's kinda catchy innit? Love the instrumental too, it bangs. Usually not a lyrics person in particular but since myzo linked the lyrics I checked them out and they're good and I can see why myzo sent this track for this cat.

I like Kraftwerk.
Martin sez: "I just like Kraftwerk lol; it's prolly the band that ppl I know irl who know jack shit about music would associate with me more than any other."
8.8 + 0.5

TELEVISION IS GAY TELEVISION IS GAY TELEVISION IS GAY TELEVISION IS GAY (love this song, unfortunately for you I've been a fan of the EP this song is on for years so no maximum bonus)
SketchUp sez: "Representative of my music taste because I like my rock dirty and raw. I like it even more because it's easy to sing along to and I like political lyrics once in a while."
9.2 + 0.5

Julia Holter might be my favorite pop artist around today, so well played. Have You In My Wilderness is a hell of an album and this song is one of my faves, when it's just a simple piano ballad it's gorgeous enough already but when it changes up and builds up and the strings swell in it's fucking sublime.
MyNameIsNothing sez: "As of recent, at the very least. I'm a major sucker for really layered chamber instrumentation and this song has that in spades. The vocals are powerful yet sound vulnerable, and really help accentuate the emotional weight of the song for me. The climax is absolutely ridiculous theres a ton of stuff to pay attention to and I catch something else to love each time I listen. It manages to maintain pop sensibilities while giving us hints of really interesting experimentation (that descending harsh synth at about 4:30/5:00 is one of the most incredible subtle touches I've heard in a songm and the tasteful noise that closes this part out with the discordant piano OOF) Most importantly, though, is how a song hits me emotionally and no song has hit me quite as hard as this one in recent memory."

First Utterance would probably be on my top 50 if I made it now (been going back on forth on whether it's a favorite or not, but currently quite convinced it is one), however since it isn't on my most recent one it's fair game to submit from it I suppose. From here on out I'm banning First Utterance though (I know SketchUp subbed this song for another cat so please change it thanks). Anyway, this song's nigh perfect, feels ritualistic with that frantic percussion, that intense viola performance, the aggressive vocal performance. It's so rousing, always gets my blood pumping. The track eventually dives into different territory with a guitar-driven section that sounds even more like a forest ritual that preceded. Nothing feels quite as good when they segue back into the chorus at the end. Only thing keeping this track from a 10 for me is that the transitions between segments feel slightly awkward.
Outro:

Category 2 reveal possibly tomorrow (Sunday) but not very likely since I don't have all cat 2s yet, reveal will probably be sometime next week so pay attention to this thread and the Discord

termi

CATEGORY 2: You'll Cowards Don't Even Smoke Crack
First off, tcr is dropping out due to being busy, rip. HJAD takes his place and inherits his 7.0 for cat 1 because otherwise I'd have to listen to The Chainsmokers haha.

HEADER:

DID NOT SUBMIT: soviet, who as a result scores 0 points. very silly of you.

While I was not particularly entertained by the song, it taught me a valuable lesson: there are people out there who think combining the world of MLP and edgy raps about drug abuse is a good idea. I can appreciate the absurdity, I suppose. Regardless, the beat's too fucking repetitive and the song goes nowhere, the rapping is at best average, so ultimately I don't give a shit.
This is better than your initial sub, which was abysmal. That said, this isn't my thing. I don't hate listening to it I guess but it's an extremely boring and predictable kind of music.
Dave Mustaine can't sing for shit. I really don't care for the first half of the song, not only are the vocals bad but the instrumental is as generic as it gets tbh, luckily they step their game up halfway through. I'm not a huge Megadeath fan but I can appreciate Rust In Peace, but Rust In Peace this ain't.
This is almost decent but the "uh-huh" shit in the verses is fucking annoying (and in general the verses are kinda boring). Decent beat and chorus though.
'I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fuck is this garbage?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers.' - Nick Cave
He says alcohol but he doesn't talk about drinking it so I could give negative bonus for that, however I told you your previous sub was a dupe and that you might wanna change it so I'll be lenient :^). Anyway, song's uhhh ok. One of their weaker tracks tbh.
I never actually listened to these guys, huh. The beat's tight, I like that jazzy vibe a fair amount of early 90s hip hop has. Not a big fan of the vocals though, the first verse and the hook are kinda annoying, I could also do without the sound effects and shit. The beat made me think it was gonna be a 7+ but alas.
Completely alright Sinatra-esque track, Amy's got a great voice of course but otherwise there's nothing to make this one stand out for me.
6.3-0.5
Almost a catfail, but I can kinda see where you're coming from since there's a bit of a stoned-out feeling to this one. Quite a chill track, nothing super special but it's got a decent vibe, somehow even at a 2:50 length it feels a bit repetitive though.

termi

Top 10:

Song's pretty good, I don't have a lot to say about it, the bass is thick and the piano's neat, it's a completely fine pop song although it fails to go far beyond that.
I dislike Eminem more often than not, this song's perfectly fine though and only mildly #problematic (by Eminem's standards). Wordplay's fine, pretty nice production especially on the verses with the little piano and female background vocals, I can dig it for the most.
This is good, I wish it had a little bit more going on musically, though. Simple vocal + guitar stuff is difficult to make interesting and while she does sell the song to some degree with her vocals, it's not quite enough for a 7+ score.
7.1 + 0.7*2
Pretty neat summery noise pop, feels like a more accessible Isn't Anything-era MBV. The lead vocals are a bit unfortunate though, nothing too awful but still, not great. Otherwise this is chill, catchy fun.
7.2 + 0.5 + 0.7*2
Psych rock jams are quintessential stoner music so this receives a cat bonus. This is perfectly serviceable psych rock for the most, I'm inclined to give it a lower score because it feels a little unoriginal but I simply like this type of sounds a fair amount, can't deny it. The vocals aren't great but they don't last very long, I really don't get why they're bringing a sitar into the mix towards the end, it doesn't add anything and if anything just kinda clashes with the rest of the music.
7.4 + 0.5
Sucky audio quality but whaddayagonnado. Stoner metal is a one-trick pony of a genre but the trick it does is good and Sleep's one of the better bands to do it. Excellent riffage, vocals are kinda weak but it's whatever.
LG sez: "Metaphor for a drug trip, also just super stoner doom lol"
I like this song but I always thought it went on for longer than it should. Definitely one of their more quotable and lyrically entertaining tracks and I like how the Interstellar Overdrive riff is integrated into the hook.
Death Grips made a song about competitive Pokemon haha. Anyway idk which Death Grips sub I prefer this round so I'm just letting them tie.
7.6 + 0.5 + 0.7*2
This one sounds like an acid trip alright. The vocal section is cool but not that special, the instrumental jam that follows is really cool though. The final minute or so made me go "is it supposed to sound like that" which is a positive thing imo.
Pretty baroque pop tune, can't go wrong with that.
This one and Heavy Metal Drummer are the only Wilco tracks I give a shit about from what I can recall. Jeff Tweedy's a good lyricist but not as good of a vocalist imo, don't know what it is but I don't care for his voice too much, not a big deal though. Instrumentally it's a solid track, has a bit of a late-night-city-drive-vibe going on with the whole broken-radio-electronica and soothing-driving-beat type shit. Honestly after hearing this track a few more times and getting it stuck in my head occasionally I feel I should give Wilco another shot.
Standings after two rounds:

termi

CATEGORY 3: Atrocity Exhibition
Didn't find time to post the reveal of category 3 earlier on. Well, here it is!

HEADER:

2.5 - 0.5
*listens to Whitehouse once*
3.8 - 0.5
Boring and not even particularly sad-sounding.
The piano sample's pretty nice. The hook is fucking abysmal and ruins any emotional impact the song could have.
This is just a little boring. The chorus prevents it from being too monotone but isn't particularly interesting and also makes the song less sad tbh, it's got like a "things are bad but we'll be fine" vibe to it. I'm a pessimist, damn it! Things are not gonna be alright!
6.2 + 0.5
18 MINUTES OH BOY. This song's decent, there's definitely worse DSBM out there (*cough*silencer*cough*) although these guys definitely have the worst band name of the bunch. The transition to the acoustic segment is awkward as fuck, otherwise this is fine but really could be trimmed a bit, innit?
Melody on this sounds very familiar, I think The Residents did something based on the same melody. Anyway, still not a big fan of these guys, it's got something to do with the vocals I think, the song's mostly alright I suppose, I do like it when the song's getting more intense etc so it gets points for that.
A Sonic Youth track I never heard before, can't say it'll be a favorite of mine though. The sprinkles of piano are neat and there's a few slightly noisy bits, otherwise this is quite an atypical SY song and not necessarily ina way that interests me.
6.5 + 0.5
Somebody's been listening to Modest Mouse. Fair enough, I love that band and this one definitely isn't bad at recreating the atmosphere of their This Is a Long Drive-era material. That said, the vocals make Isaac Brock sound like a conventionally good singer.
6.6 + 0.5
This is the guy who killed himself when he was like 16 or some shit right? I've been aware of him for a while but never checked him out. This is nice, definitely very fitting for the category but fairly simple all things considered.
It's a little too comfy to truly evoke sadness for me personally, oh well. It's a pleasant song alright, the chorus reminds me of Passenger though and I don't want to think about that man.
6.9 + 0.5
Video game music is difficult to judge, I find, considering it has way more of an instrumental purpose than "normal" music. This one's a nice piano ditty, but obviously more repetitive than most music considering it's supposed to loop over something and provide nice background ambience. It definitely works better when you know the context, and in this case I happen to know it because I have played and love Twilight Princess. Still, it's better within context, as a soundtrack it's like, an 8, but as a standalone piece of music it's not quite up there.
Agape sez: "For me the sadness in music is usually associated to some other media that accompanies it. Midna's Lament is both sad and beautiful."
7.0 + 0.7*2
Barely gets the 1.4 bonus, woo. For real this is actually a nice pop rock tune. Not that sad ultimately but my benchmark for what I consider sad might just be very high.

termi

top 10:
7.1 + 0.7*2
Pleasant.
7.2 + 0.7
Neat. Not sure if I like where it goes in the final minute, I would have gone in a different direction with the song and made it a bit longer.
Bughouse sez: "Trying to give you a sad song that isn't sad just by virtue of being mellow and <60 BPM I'd say this song is more "anxious" and "panicky" than simply sad."
7.3 + 0.7*2
I wish the vocals weren't so unpronounced, I get that the point of shoegaze is that the vocals are somewhat drowned out but it just sounds like the male vocalist is whispering in my ear, kinda awkward. Really like the background vocals on the other hand. Solid melancholy shoegaze song.
7.5 + 0.5
These guys are one of my go-to bands to sleep to and that's a good thing. Their music also has a certain kind of moroseness to it that I really like, a sort of undefined feeling of hopelessness, although this song's not the best example of that.
7.7 + 0.5
I remember not caring for Townes Van Zandt but this is good tbh. I'll have to give him another shot.
8.0 + 0.5
I really like her when her music gets morose, fuck the pleasant-but-unsubstantial Sinatra knockoffs, this is so much better.
8.1 + 0.5 + 0.8
More of this, less of that thing you submitted for the previous category, thanks. This really is exceptionally melancholy for a major-key piece.
Lectrys sez: "It's probably the saddest major-key song I've ever heard. The turn towards the tonic minor (A flat minor) always kicks me down."
8.3 + 0.5
Will Oldham's surprisingly not one of my favorite artists despite my love for sad folky shit. Irregardless, this track's stellar.
8.8 + 0.5
I'm a big fan of Jason Molina so uhh, well pandered my man. Even in the context of the rest of his miserable discography this one sounds exceptionally solemn, sparse, and lonely.
9.0 + 0.5 + 0.9*2
Despite knowing about these guys, I never did check them out because screamo is a genre I'm a bit wary of. Turns out I've been missing out, because this is great. Love the guitar tone, the drumming, and the way the song progresses and gets more and more intense. I'll be checking their album out. (update: I have checked the record out, it's good as fuck)
OUTRO:

Standings:

Category 4 reveal might be happening today, I'm still missing a submission or two but yeah, I'm gonna try and get this done. Otherwise it'll be Sunday or Monday.

termi

for the record i don't like having to keep my reveal up in thread + once i almost got done with my post for cat 4 but then i left it and when i returned the post didnt save so suck my dick. here's the standings after round 5:

if u actually wanna see what songs are being posted, join the discord: https://discord.gg/DWZXuzD

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)