SV OU Fat Bear Week Champion - Ursaluna Balance

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Every year Katmai National Park in Alaska hosts Fat Bear Week, a competition celebrating the success of the park's fat bears as they reach maximum size before hibernating for winter. In this RMT I will showcase the fattest bear around SV OU in honor of my joining the RMT team.

At a glance:
I set out to build Ursaluna + Alomomola balance because of how impressive it had performed in some SPL games. Ursuluna is really the one hit kill machine and I really enjoy the moment when he pivots in safely and my opponent's timer starts ticking as they decide what to sack. Alomomola is the ultimate partner for the bear (bears love fish), passing it huge wishes, pivoting in safely on physical walls, and attracting things like electric attacks and hexes. From there I added Darkrai for some special wallbreaking and we are in business. Slowking-Galar joined the team as a secondary pivot to deal with faster special monsters like Iron Valiant and Kyurem, as well as providing some help with booster energy pokemon (more on that later). Gliscor hopped in to add some more pivoting power and a status absorber. I find gliscor synergizes really well with Alomomola as things like ice spinner are easily absorbed by the fish which can then pivot into a wallbreaker or just back into another wall for regenerator health. The final slot on this team was one I struggled with a lot but in the end Hydrapple joined the team as the primary Ogerpon check and backup physical wall, making a triple regenerator core that covers a ton of the metagame.

:sv/Alomomola:
Alomomola @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Regenerator
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Play Rough
- Flip Turn
- Wish
- Protect
Alomomola is the main physical wall on this team and I loaded max defence Relaxed here. Boots are standard and part of this team's gameplan of ignoring hazards as much as possible. For those that do take hazard damage, Wish passing can shore that up with a nice flip turn. Tera Flying is very rarely clicked but if I for some reason need to check something that Hydrapple usually does but cannot I can flip some ground or grass type attacks. The only real change I made to this set from the standard Alomomola is to switch out Scald for Play Rough. This hits Ogerpon who are expecting scald for a little bit of chip, is better into common switch ins like Raging Bolt, and does an insane amount to Roaring Moon who think to chance a burn or DD on a predicted protect.

0901-Ursaluna-ezgif.com-speed.gif

Ursaluna @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Ghost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Facade
- Earthquake
- Ice Punch
- Thunder Punch
The big bear is here and ready to take names. Max speed jolly is used on a recommendation from some SPL team dumps although I did run Adamant for a while with lower speed just to revel in the insane killing power. Compared to standard, I've added Thunder Punch over something like Trailblaze in order to hit Skarmory and Corviknight switch ins. Tera Ghost is not usually clicked but can be cool for something like Dragonite or Iron Valiant that are really crucial to an opponent's offensive core but think they can pressure safely.

:sv/Darkrai:
Darkrai @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Bad Dreams
Tera Type: Poison
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Dark Pulse
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
Darkrai joins the team as the primary special wallbreaker for the few things that give Ursaluna some trouble, while doubling as speed control. Nasty Plot + three standard attacks hits most of the meta barring an unexpected tera, and boots let it come in and threaten things multiple times. Because of his vulnerability to booster energy Valiant among others, Tera Poison is sometimes clicked to survive a revenge kill, but I do find it's often better to just let something else tank a hit and pivot out, burning my opponent's booster and coming back later with a more favourable matchup. However, tera poison +2 sludge bomb does do a crazy amount of damage to some things so the offensive benefit is also there.

:sv/Slowking-Galar:
Slowking-Galar @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Toxic Spikes
- Chilly Reception
- Sludge Bomb
- Psyshock
Slowking
Slowking is my primary special wall, switching in on faster threats that target darkrai, as well as slower Ursaluna revenge killers like Primarina. A couple techs here make this Slowking a bit different than others, specifically in ways to help my team. Psyshock targets volcarona specifically, aiming to break subs and chip it to death while tanking hits. Tera water helps with this but the matchup is still shaky. Chilly reception and sludge bomb are standard tools with sludge being my main weapon to hit opposing Valiant and incoming Darkrai, with the poison chance potentially allowing me to pivot and protect stall some things to death. Toxic Spikes is a tech I really like due to it's extremely devestating effects on booster energy pokemon like Valiant, Raging Bolt, Great Tusk, and Roaring Moon as well as other item locked pokemon like Ogerpon. This guy could definitely use some EV spread tweaking to have its best chance against the main targets, but this has worked ok so far.

:sv/Gliscor:
Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 244 HP / 36 Def / 228 SpD
Careful Nature
- Swords Dance
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Protect
Gliscor joins the team with a specially defensive spread ready to tank way more things than you think and toxic stall you to death. This pokemon is really hard to explain why I made the choices I did but ultimately it just works way better than I could have ever expected. Tanks an Ivy Cudgel from full, stalls out Gholdengo, toxic's everything and never dies. Swords Dance is here as more of a decoy than anything. People will switch in something like defensive tusk to tank a +2 eq and instead get hit with the toxic. Pivoting takes care of any pesky balloons meaning Earthquake can pick off all sorts of weakened threats late game. Tera water here is a 50/50 choice between that and Tera Ghost. I've had plenty of success with Ghost being a great Zamazenta check and letting me get off really punishing toxics on plenty of stuff, but water really helps shut down rain as well as the otherwise threatening Gouging Fire, which can shrug off pressure from my physical walls a bit too easily.

:sv/Hydrapple:
Hydrapple @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Body Press
- Fickle Beam
- Earth Power
- Giga Drain​
Hydrapple was the final addition to this team and one that I've had probably the most fun with. Max physical defence takes a laughable amount from Great Tusk's uninvested Ice Spinner, and can almost 1v1 after Giga Drain recovery. The main role for this guy is to check physical pokemon that threaten Alomomola, mostly the number one opp, Ogerpon-Wellspring. Even if Ogerpon packs play rough, giga drain means it is rarely a 2hko, while ogerpon has to also worry about Fickle Beam's chance to chunk out 70-80% if it doubles. Body Press takes care of late game Kingambit who hope for a Special attacking set, as well as things like Blissey and Darkrai switching in. Earth Power is the main option to hit Gholdengo who otherwise sits pretty easily on the whole set. It doesn't really do enough to bulky sets but it can be decent chip to force a recover while I pivot into darkrai. Tera Steel is a last resort on this set to check things like weavile, Darkrai, Gliscor and others. Overall this pokemon performs extremely well, partially due to people underestimating it and not knowing what to expect.

Overall success with this team depends a lot on how well I am playing on any particular day. It is kind of semi-stall in the way it can soak hits and heal them off by cyclical regenerator switching, getting passive damage via chip moves, Toxic, or Tspike poison. With the right matchup, opposing teams fail to kill my pokemon and slowly get maneuvered into a position where they have to sack something to Darkrai or Ursaluna. The highest I reached with this was around 1700 elo on ladder, and played a few relatively serious games with it in some unofficials.

I hope you enjoy trying this team out, seeing some unfamiliar faces in Hydrapple and Ursuluna and the pure joy of watching "bulky" pokemon drop in one hit to facade or earthquake. I posted this RMT because I have just joined the RMT mod team and would love to embrace the most fun thing about the section: people posting cool ass teams that may or may not be perfect but show off creativity and uniqueness (Shoutout to the Lapras HO team from earlier this year for another great example). In the coming months I hope to encourage more people to post unusual, silly, heat, unorthodox, or otherwise interesting teams just for the fun of sharing. After all, the meta is always changing, so a team that you have ripping up the ladder right now might become pretty useless in a few weeks when the metagame shifts, so why not share it while it's hot?

Feel free to leave comments questions suggestions memes and whatever else you like in the thread and thanks for reading :)

---

:Ogerpon-Wellspring: The biggest threat due to its ability to switch in more or less for free into Alomomola. Flip turn is one of the most obvious moves in the game so my main way of playing around oger is to not click flip turn. The damage done by the move is usually irrelevant anyway and hard pivoting isn't too punishing unless you get badly predicted. I have teched a lot of things for this and it's still very threatening.
:Deoxys-Speed: :Darkrai: Grouping these together because they are mostly threatening if they pack Nasty Plot and if they do then I better get my tera right or the game might be over. Deoxys can Ice beam Gliscor and Apple, Superpower or Focus Blast Darkrai, and Psycho Boost everything else. Darkrai does much the same except that Dark Pulse simply hits every pokemon on my team for a ton of damage, and my best chance is a speed tie tera poison sludge bomb. Luckily these are frail pokemon so if I keep up the pressure on them it's not all bad. Definitely be careful here.
:Gholdengo: Similar to above, nasty plot gold is a pretty big threat that can hit most of my team for solid damage. The main difference between him and the above guys is that he often packs a bulkier spread and can flip the game on me with a well timed tera. Going for sludge bomb off the bat when facing a +2 ghold is pretty crazy so I usually have to scout the tera fairy with a pivot, which can get really dicey if I get behind. Unlike the others he's not as frail but he does have a speed weakness. Some particularly bulky spreads are even outsped by gliscor or Ursaluna and definitely can't set up on them. I would say he's probably a bigger threat than the other two nasty plotters but only in the hands of someone really skilled.

Last edited:

1LDK

Vengeance
is a Top Team Rater
Okay so uh, bears, honestly, cool team, I like some of the techs like sd toxic gliscor, you don't need knock because ursa carries the stall matchup, I have some suggestions

On :ursa: I think you should maximize anti stall, because that's the only reason you're using ursa mola, to have literally unlosable stall matchup

Ursaluna @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
Tera Type: Normal
EVs: 116 HP / 252 Atk / 140 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Facade
- Headlong Rush
- Substitute

You sub on the donzo switch, you click tera normal, and you win, you literally win, donzo gets 2HKO, and corv has to emergency pop tera and that's not even gonna save him, what's worse is that even if he pops the rare tera ghost and blocks you, he is now darkrai + glowking food and you can use the rest of the team to better your matchup vs offense

And on gliscor, since you win vs fat, even tho I kinda like your set, I'm thinking hazard support with U-turn would be better since you can pivot into the 3 bad matchups, getting some chip in the progress

and yeah, I think that's it, I like the team

Dead by Daylight

GO DIRECTLY TO JAIL. DO NOT PASS GO.
is a Contributor to Smogon
yo sick team, I’d just make a small recommendation of going Tera Ghost on Glisc over Tera Water

You have Hydrapple to do okay at least into rain and Glisc can stall out a turn or two with protect, but Zama can be a threat if Glowking is too low

I understand the rationale though and this is totally a 50/50 choice

Great team, I've been using it for a day now. Play Rough Alomomola is really cool. One thing I replaced was T-Spikes on Glowking with T-Wave to help support the unusually fast Ursaluna, and it's been working really well, and the lack of Knock Off on the team in my opinion as well as how common other GLowking and Glimmora are makes the Toxic Spikes less valuable. Often times I will Tera it (or stomach Dark Pulse from 80+%) to T-Wave vs Darkrai since Ice Beam Dark Pulse is really hard to beat unless Hydrapple is in with Tera. Again, awesome team, thanks for sharing!

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Great team, I've been using it for a day now. Play Rough Alomomola is really cool. One thing I replaced was T-Spikes on Glowking with T-Wave to help support the unusually fast Ursaluna, and it's been working really well, and the lack of Knock Off on the team in my opinion as well as how common other GLowking and Glimmora are makes the Toxic Spikes less valuable. Often times I will Tera it (or stomach Dark Pulse from 80+%) to T-Wave vs Darkrai since Ice Beam Dark Pulse is really hard to beat unless Hydrapple is in with Tera. Again, awesome team, thanks for sharing!
Yoo so cool that you tried it out! I definitely had twave on there before I think I just got too addicted to the poison damage haha

Just wondering but wouldn't Darkai destroy this team? One nasty plot and no pokmon can take on dark pulse, ice beam, sludge bomb, and focus blast on the team, and if they force a tera, they are winning the exchange

Duck Chris

replay watcher
is a Forum Moderator
Just wondering but wouldn't Darkai destroy this team? One nasty plot and no pokmon can take on dark pulse, ice beam, sludge bomb, and focus blast on the team, and if they force a tera, they are winning the exchange
Absolutely, that is why I put it in my threats section if you expand that. Generally my tactic is to hit it on the switch with moves like Body Press from Hydrapple or Play Rough from Alomomola, and if I can get toxic spikes up then I can switch around until it dies.

Great team

Tho one matchup that looks to be a nightmare is Specs Kyurem. The team has no Freeze Dry switch ins, even with the Glowking, and you’re forced to Tera Steel Hydrapple.

One thing I would recommend without overhauling the team is to change the Mola EV spread to this.

144HP
112DFSE
252SPD
Relaxed (+dfse -sped)

This spread allows you to avoid an OHKO from Specs Freeze Dry at full and Wish or Flip Turn in front of it. Plus it helps with a couple of your bad matchups like Deo-S and Darkrai.

leng loi

Twinkaton!
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi! This is a sick team with some nice techs. I have a few suggestions that should hopefully fix some sticking points.
  • The team is fairly slow, even for a balance team, which as you've noticed leaves you open to strong fast mons like Darkrai and Deo-S.
  • It lacks a long term Dragapult switchin, as Darkrai can not take many hits, Slowking gets chipped and 2hko'd by Hex, and Ursaluna is a miserable switchin to Draco Meteor.
  • Kyurem shreds the team and has multiple entry points.
  • Volcarona is an issue with no Toxic on Slowking.

Here's my edit:
:alomomola::ursaluna::darkrai::slowking-galar::gliscor::hydrapple:
Changes:
  • I liked the idea of Toxic Spikes on Slowking, so I added two Knock Off users in Gliscor and Darkrai that I think would better serve the team than the previous moves of Toxic and Nasty Plot.
  • I agreed with 658Greninja 's suggestion that you make the Alomomola more specially bulky, and I added Mirror Coat over Play Rough to better punish the Freeze Dry. This makes you weaker to Roaring Moon which I address with another change later. It also can help against Volcarona in some scenarios.
  • Ursaluna better utilizes Tera Fairy to maintain the defensive tera against Fighting moves while also emergency checking Dragapult and Raging Bolt.
  • Gliscor can be free to run EQ-less SD with Facade since you have Toxic Spikes for Raging Bolt and another Ground type on the team. Tera Normal + Knock Off also helps you check Dragapult.
  • Hydrapple runs more SpA EVs and Draco Meteor > Fickle Beam to 100% KO Kyurem and Roaring Moon after a defensive Tera Steel.
I may come back to the team and address the speed and Volcarona issues better, but that would involve pokemon changes which I am reticent to do, especially because this is such a cool structure.

Enjoy,
leng

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 0)