Final Grades/GPA thread/School/University Discussion

vashta

"It was pretty cool to watch Tim Duncan from afar"
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
  • I received a place offer from the University of Warwick, subject to me getting at least AAA
  • I had an interview at Imperial College, London
  • I had an interview, and subsequent AAA offer, from the University of Southampton
  • I was invited to a departmental open day at the aforementioned University of Warwick
And most recently, and perhaps importantly:
  • I received an invitation to interview(s) at Churchill College, University of Cambridge on the 9th and 10th December
Understandably, I'm chuffed.
Congratulations are most definitely in order for securing those places and interviews -- well done. :) I hope that your interviews, particularly at Cambridge, go well.

Had a revelation, so I've finally applied to Notre Dame's Sixth form college. Luckily I did it early so my new referees can still come through. Applied to study History, Politics, Economics, Mathematics and Further Mathematics.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Update:

I just got my Math final back. I was in the A- parameters, but looking at the statistics, I'm in the top 3% range, so hopefully it'll be scaled up to an A.

And an A+ in Chemistry. Pretty pleased with myself.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
ED stuff is coming out around now. How did everybody do? Thursday was officially the biggest day of my life so far...

So thrilled!

Got an A in Rhetoric and Intro to Lit II (validated Lit I, so this is the last undergrad English class I'll take!!).

Just owned the oral section of my Russian exam earlier today - the written section is on Friday. I have Calc tonight, Seamanship and Leadership on Thursday, and Chem next Monday. Sucks that I'm stuck here longer than most of my friends because of that late chem final, but I have a date planned for the weekend, so I'm not really that disappointed.

Bartman101

Banned deucer.
Got an A in Rhetoric and Intro to Lit II (validated Lit I, so this is the last undergrad English class I'll take!!).

Just owned the oral section of my Russian exam earlier today - the written section is on Friday. I have Calc tonight, Seamanship and Leadership on Thursday, and Chem next Monday. Sucks that I'm stuck here longer than most of my friends because of that late chem final, but I have a date planned for the weekend, so I'm not really that disappointed.
You can do Russian in Las Vegas? Wow, good job I'm not going there any time soon...

Well I got my HSC results today, for all those that live in Australia. I'm getting my final marks+rankings tomorrow, but with a mark calculator I'm able to get into university and I'm able to do engineering. Hopefully I'll make it

I just finished the fall quarter of my junior year at the University of California, Riverside with a 4.0 GPA as an English major. Although not the most prestigious university, it's still in the Rank 1 tier. And no matter what university you come from, a 4.0 is surely nothing to scoff at! All-in-all, I'm delighted by progress!

Jimbo

take me anywhere
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm so proud of lil bojangles <3

I'm in the midst of finals week now. I haven't had one yet cause the Registrar hates me and wants me to stay at school forever (my last final is the 22nd cool!!) but I've been studying like a madman, all day err'day. I should be able to pull two As and two A-s which I'd be happy with I guess. I pulled an A-/A in my honors seminar which was a bitch to do considering the only thing we're graded on is 3 essays graded extremely subjectively; I'm so glad that class is over.

Congratulations, ibojangles.

As for me, I made a massive improvement from my abysmal 2.1 last semester. This semester, I got a 3.7 as a science major, something I feel sorta proud of.

Vector Calculus: A
Organic Chemistry: B
Calculus-based Physics: A-
World History: A

You know what sucks? Being an artist. Seriously, it's awful trying to find any scholarships that don't require outstanding achievements in academics. I'm going to have to take a year off from school to go moneymaking before I can do anything. >.>

My grades get me some good entry scholarships though.

Drawing/Painting 12- A+
Art Foundations (university level ahoy!)- A+
Ceramics and Sculpture 12- A+
Peer tutoring (teaching/assisting teachers in Ceramics and Sculpture) - A+
Comparative Civilizations - A+
English 12- B at the time of the report card thanks to me being absent, currently A.
English Literature 12 - C+ (DAMN IT'S ALL POETRY. NOBODY LIKES POETRY).

It sucks that there are no real courses for game character/environment design or concept art at any school I can get to. Emily Carr can't even give me straight answers about it's own digital media course.

Anyone else interested in game design outside of programming/3D rendering?

You know what sucks? Being an artist. Seriously, it's awful trying to find any scholarships that don't require outstanding achievements in academics. I'm going to have to take a year off from school to go moneymaking before I can do anything. >.>

My grades get me some good entry scholarships though.

Drawing/Painting 12- A+
Art Foundations (university level ahoy!)- A+
Ceramics and Sculpture 12- A+
Peer tutoring (teaching/assisting teachers in Ceramics and Sculpture) - A+
Comparative Civilizations - A+
English 12- B at the time of the report card thanks to me being absent, currently A.
English Literature 12 - C+ (DAMN IT'S ALL POETRY. NOBODY LIKES POETRY).

It sucks that there are no real courses for game character/environment design or concept art at any school I can get to. Emily Carr can't even give me straight answers about it's own digital media course.

I like poetry.

Unfortunately, from what I've head of people in the Arts, particularly performing and writing, it's not just getting scholarships and tuition... It's actually getting work in-field. I know a couple of people who basically had to give up their careers in arts because they needed to be able to eat.

Computer Graphics: B
Personal Fitness: A
World History: A
English 1: A
Geometry: A
Biology: A
Football: A

Almost all of those are Honors so my GPA will be about a 4.18.

I'd love to go to the University of Florida, but that'd probably be as a Walk-On, so I'll probably end up at a Divison-III or II College.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Congratulations to bojangles. Didn't realize we shared a name.

So I finally got PSAT results back. Dunno why they took so long to arrive.

I just want to take this moment to say - yes I'm british, but my school still does PSAT and SAT and american uni applications. idk. and it wasn't my idea, I turned up for shits and giggles.

Critical Reading: 58
Mathematics: 61
Writing Skills: 58
Total: 177
Percentile: 86

Which was surprisingly top of the school???

I've also been caning some shit and I've been getting 98-99% in all of my Chemistry mocks so far. Really pleased.
In terms of actual work, my grades look like:
Chemistry A: 4A
Chemistry B: 4A
Maths: 4A
Further Maths: 4B
Additional Further Maths: 5A
Physics: 5A
Physics: 4A
Economics: 4B
So yeah, chuffed all around.

International Political Economies: B+
American Government: A- (I never even bothered to buy the book for this class)
American Civil Liberties: B+
Intermediate German: B+

ugh i did fucking _terrible_. first semester back at uni and it showed lol.

Intro To Communications: D-
Microeconomics: F
English Comp 2: C+
World Civ 2: B

retaking micro next year along with:

CGS (some computer course for my major)
college algebra
spanish 1
concepts in chemistry

oof.

current GPA: 2.321 X(

I like poetry.

Unfortunately, from what I've head of people in the Arts, particularly performing and writing, it's not just getting scholarships and tuition... It's actually getting work in-field. I know a couple of people who basically had to give up their careers in arts because they needed to be able to eat.
Depends on where you live. Vancouver tends to be rather artsy when it comes to job offerings, not to mention the plethora of game companies right across the border. And the local ones, of course.

I have a backup anyway.

In other news, I received an early portfolio acceptance letter from Emily Carr today. They accept very few students per year, and rarely do they accept directly out of high school. I feel just a little bit awesome. :D

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

ProTip: Do not, I repeat do NOT, go to SFU's Interactive Arts & Technology program.

Also, find it odd you'd say "over the border" first considering Vancouver is probably the largest hotspot for game development in North America outside San Francisco =P

ProTip: Do not, I repeat do NOT, go to SFU's Interactive Arts & Technology program.

Also, find it odd you'd say "over the border" first considering Vancouver is probably the largest hotspot for game development in North America outside San Francisco =P
I sort of got bad vibes from them anyway after spending an hour and a half on their site and getting nowhere. Seriously, I can't find anything on there. Why, do you have a cool story about the program or something? My curiosity is wanting to know. :D

I say over the border because the cool companies like Sucker Punch/Bungie/Blizzard/etc are over there. I just don't want to work for EA because I hear their employees get treated like garbage most of the time. I need to do more snooping.

And like I said, I was just pretty much accepted to Emily Carr. I'm just hoping nothing goes nuts when I actually send in my application.

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
EA used to be like that but not so much anymore. These are the companies in Vancouver:
http://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool=location&query=Vancouver

Basically every major studio has something here. EA, Ubisoft, Activision (blegh), Disney, THQ, Capcom, etc.

I'm in SIAT and we have two courses in animation. You will not receive the type of education or training you need to succeed in the games industry. Start modelling now in your spare time if you want to make a career out of it. That's what these companies look for really.

Wow, that is a fantastic site, thanks. 0_0

I'm not that into the 3D or animation aspect, though I know the basics. I'm more into concept art/character design/environment design/writing. We had a really awful 3D animation class that I took once and then never took again. You basically learn basics, and then do the basics for three years of HS without getting anywhere. All in all I have a bit of everything besides actual programming.

I'm thinking of finding some outside-of-school animation programs just to try it out without paying for a full course. Right now I'm into learning how to do digital painting. I'm getting a shiny new tablet for christmas.

Eraddd

One Pixel
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Final grades:

Chemistry A+
Calculus I A
Physics with Calculus A+
English B+

Chemistry was expected. Same with math, with the scaling. Physics, not so much however, as I expected at most an A, at least an A- due to me losing marks in not handing in assignments. In addition, I didn't hit 95 percents on most of my tests, which should disqualify me from an A+ unless the teacher did scale by a considerate amount. English was a disappointment, but seeing as it was one of the hardest courses I've taken in my life (academic writing), I guess I should be satisfied.

English 201- C
Sociology 110-C
Art 106- B
Visual Art- C

Basically I fucked up. I'm really disappointed in myself, as I am an English major. I'm going to retake the class. I couldn't afford my books and some certain online requirements until three weeks before school ended. :/ Financial Aid came really late. I'm happy that I managed to earn average grades despite what I lacked though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)