Gen 4 First OU team

Hi smogon, this is my first RMT ever, so sorry if presentation isn't good, or my ideas are not that brilliant, i'm trying to start fighting in competitive scenarios in 4th gen because it's my favourite generation and I'm confortable with OU tier. My problem right now is, I can't build a team that is better than average, so I can't fight with better trainers, and the result is: I'm sweeping noobs, or I'm swept like a noob. But I can't figure out what is the problem, and how can I improve, so, here is my team.

Infernape @ Focus Sash
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 64 Atk / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
Naive Nature
- Fake Out
- Stealth Rock
- Fire Blast
- Close Combat​

This is my lead. I love to hit hard and fast, using FO when I can figure that FB or CC won't ohko the enemy, or hitting right from the start. Stealth Rock is an option to use when I found Nape can't make any more damage, but, after some matches, I found he's a good counter to Jirachi, so now I'm trying to keep him alive.

Gyarados @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 Atk / 184 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Payback
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake​

What can I say: it's a beast. With CB and Intimidate, it's useful in so many ways, hitting from the start without the need of setting him up. It's amazing how hard can hit with a choice band. He can make damage even with water types (besides Vaporeon of course) so it's almost a core for the team.

Machamp @ Leftovers
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 128 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Dynamic Punch
- Payback
- Stone Edge​

I love to use him spamming Dynamic Punch making great damage to the other team, and i like to use leftovers instead of a choice bande so with that I can use all of my movements. Payback it's fantastic to check some psychic and ghost mons hoping that I'm going to use Dynamic punch doing a good amount of damage in that switch.

Dragonite @ Leftovers
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 216 SpD / 40 Spe
Careful Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Heal Bell
- Roost
- Dragon Claw​

The 2nd core of my team. With that EV's spread, he can take some ice and electric attacks and use a DD. I love Heal Bell, because people like to try to TWave him, or poison him, speculating that I won't setup anymore, and it's a nice surprise that had me granted a lot of victories

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Recover​

This is my least favourtie pokemon. No matter how hard he can hit, it's so frail that besides RS, I can't make him useful to the team. But I cant look a good replace to him, so there he is. Is the candidate to get replaced, but I can't figure it who is a nice replacement for him. I tought Forretres or Tentacruel, but I'm not convinced with any of the options.

Rotom (Rotom-Wash) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Hydro Pump
- Trick​

Finally my spin blocker, I love his Choice Scarf, because allows me to hit some faster pokemons that usually
are hoping to hit faster (like Gengar for example) so it's very usefull. And if I can see a pokemon trying to setup, Trick is a nice move to screw their plans

Conclusion: So this is my team. I can't figure out which steps should I look to improve it, and I tried options, but the results weren't satisfactory.

Jolteon instead of Rotom is a nice replace, and checks any pokemon that wants to wreck him with electric attacks, and viceversa, Gyarados checks any earthquake user. But, Rotom with a Choice Scarf is so fast, and Shadow Ball is a very nice option to counter psychic and ghost users, so I'm not that convinced. They make a Reaally good core, but Rotom is very valuable.

Lucario instead of Machamp, I tried a Scarfed variant, but I found he couldnt hit that hard, and losing Dynamic Punch is a huge lost. I like making the rival confused.

Hope I made the post correctly, thak you so much if you read this until the end. I'm hoping you can make my team great

Great team , but I recommend some changes.
First off - the infernape set. Um lead rocks in the current meta is dying because of raising counters ( lead counters like zapdos for example ) , but still holds good. I strongly recommend u-turn >> fake out coz you can go out of unfavourable situations bluffing the choice item which can work immensely in your favour. And yeah the evs seem weird, and I understand you are trying to beat rachi with fb, but with the rise of occa berry sets , that isnt going to be very effective in my opinion. Lead chople trans are also rising so consider clicking rocks turn 1 against Tran, and based on the opponents aggressive playstyle - click cc / u turn accordingly.
OK first thanks for taking your time and analize my team. Now U-turn sounds a good choice instead of fake out. I take that. Good suggestion

Next up we need to change a move on Gyarados. It's always sleep talk>> eq. Currently barring dnite your team is kinda weak to bully setup loom which is rising in popularity. Sleep talk serves as an efficient check and fills out some holes.
Currently I'm letting one of my pokemons to get sleep, switch it and fucking hard. I like EQ as a coverage move, and with a CB makes huge damage even without stab. Are you sure it's good to put it? Sleep clause is in my favor after all

Next is the big change - change champ to Luke in my opinion. After weakening your lead nape to some extent - bulky Scizor just clicks sd and wins. And Luke is Soo good in the current meta. So here's the set I recommend :-
252 attack, 252 speed , 4hp , adamant.
With life orb.
- Swords dance
- Close combat
- Extreme speed
- Bullet punch
The speed is to outspeed timid Tran and yea this long hits so hard. It ohkos offensive or semi-offensive variants of Scizor after rocks which is amazing. It saves you in Soo many situations. Oh and yea your team is kinda weak to DD / scarf tar so bpunch is a must for it. Not to mention it kills offensive dnite with +2 espeed after rocks :p
I tried a Lucario recently, and I used a choice band option with ice punch, and it was good, but it didn't convince me. BUT I'll try it with your moveset. It seems great to lategame.

And yea kudos to that dnite set - it seems cool on paper but mixed life orb actually works better in my opinion. It's ultimately your call and this set allows you to pressurize bulky offense.

Good luck and good job on building the team! And yea hope you like the changes :]:mad:it

That Dnite moveset is in Smogon, it's not my creation haha, but I found no one use it, although, I'll consider to try mixed life orb and see results on that.

Thanks again for your suggestions. And let me ask you one question. What is your opinion about Starmie? Do you have any suggestion with her? Any replace? I really cant figure out nothing

Ah, by the way, if I want to post my results, I must edit this post? Or create another one?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)