ORAS UU First RMT (SubPunch Conk Offense) Climbing ~1500

Hows it going guys? My name is Heavyw3ight, and I have been playing Pokemon competitively off and on for many years. Recently, I have gotten more serious about my team building and trying to improve my battling, and after getting some inspiration from a random live I started building this team.

Team Building Thought Process

534_00.png

I started with SubPunch Conkeldurr, a strong wallbreaker and decent cleaner with Iron Fist boosted Mach punch.

534_00.png
metagross.png

I knew I would need a stealth rocker as well as a Fairy and Flying resist, so Life Orb Metagross seemed like a good fit.

534_00.png
metagross.png
rotom-heat.gif

My first two pokemon struggle with ground types, as well as lack speed, I chose to run Rotom-H to check the pesky Ground and Fairy types.

534_00.png
metagross.png
rotom-heat.gif
2i0gepv.png

At this point, I was sorely lacking both speed and some form of special coverage. Enter Choice Scarf Hydreigon. Helps with Ground, through levitate, and is a soft check to Mega Aero that otherwise crushes me.

534_00.png
metagross.png
rotom-heat.gif
2i0gepv.png
RBYTentacruelRevamp-1.gif

My next priority was a fairly offensive spinner. I have always liked Tentacruel and he seemed to fit the more offensive nature of the team. He gives a bit more speed to a slower team.

534_00.png
metagross.png
rotom-heat.gif
2i0gepv.png
RBYTentacruelRevamp-1.gif
mega_sceptile_sprite_by_mike39201-d7lpajj.png

My final priority was a Mega that would give me speed and allow me to sweep late game. Mega Sceptile is faster than most of the unboosted metagame and gives a decent FWG core to play with.

In-Depth

scrafty_and_conkeldurr_by_bleachedsoul999-d3l1ftj.png

Conkeldurr @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Substitute
- Focus Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

SubPunch Conkeldurr hits like a truck. Period. Iron Fist boosted STAB Focus Punch OHKO's or 2HKO's most of the tier, even the bulky waters that Conk usually struggles with. Generally, he is used early game to punch holes in their fighting resists and physical walls, and late game he can sweep with Iron Fist boosted Mach Punch. He also works as an emergency M. Aero check as M. Aero cannot OHKO conk with significant prior damage and Conk can outspeed with Mach Punch for ~40%. I ran Poison Jab for a time, but it lacked the power needed to click it over Focus Punch.

metagross.jpg

Metagross @ Life Orb
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Meteor Mash
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt

One of Conkeldurr's biggest issues is Sylveon. Metagross handles anything Sylveon wants to click besides Specs HP Fire and OHKO's back with Meteor Mash. I am running Adamant nature for the power as Metagross's job is to get up rocks and either get a kill or put a big enough hole in it, that it can be cleaned later. I toyed with the idea of running Bullet Punch for M. Aero as it really gives this team problems, but Zen Headbutt has come in handy hitting things like Swampert hard on the switch. I have also thought about running Assault Vest on him, but the Life Orb boost is sorely missed.

Rotom H.jpg

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 52 Def / 208 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Rotom-H has been the glue that holds this team together. Rotom-H is one of the single best Mamoswine, which otherwise destroys my team, switch-ins in the Tier and can threaten it with Will-o-Wisp. It also gives me a nice Voltturn core with my Scarf Hydreigon to get Metagross and Conk in safely. Rotom-H also helps with all of the strong Fire types in the tier, such as Entei and Darmanitan, that could otherwise severely damage my other Mons.

pokemon__hydreigon_by_mark331-d3g8glw.jpg

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Dragon Pulse
- U-turn

Hydreigon, the first of my Wincons. Scarf allows Hydreigon to outspeed the entire unboosted metagame as well as notable scarfers, like Darmanitan and Krookodile. M. Aero with some prior damage, or Rocks up, is OHKO'd by Draco Meteor 100% of the time. Dark Pulse gives me a strong spammable STAB that has a nice flinch chance to go along with my Scarf. Dragon Pulse helps me clean late game without having to resort to Draco Meteor, however I have also considered Fire Blast there to help with Steel and Fairy types. U-Turn helps me scout my opponents sets and tendencies as well as gives me a chance to Punch more things in the mouth.

day_337___dokukurage___tentacruel_by_autobottesla-d8p0cto.png

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Acid Spray
- Toxic Spikes
- Rapid Spin

My team is pretty weak to Hazards especially with my Voltturners, so Rapid Spin was the biggest reason Tentacruel is on this team. Tentacruel also sits at a decent speed tier which allows me to threaten many of the slower, harder hitting Mon's like Mamoswine. I originally thought about a bulkier spread but found that it didn't really fit the offensive nature of the team and added power comes in handy dealing with Sylveon and Florges, two threats to my team. Edit: Switched out Sludge Bomb for Acid Spray to help against Calm Mind Florges and Sylveon. I also switched Ice Beam for Toxic Spikes for a better matchup against some of the slower teams.

mega_sceptile_vs_mega_charizard_x_by_jhony_rex-d9rup95.png

Sceptile-Mega @ Sceptilite
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Focus Blast

M. Sceptile is my second Wincon. He is able to come in on Rotom's relatively slow Volt Switch early on in the game and Mega. After Mega he is faster than all but M. Aero and M. Beedrill. I chose Giga Drain as my obligatory STAB, since Sceptile tends to pivot in and out and it helps with some of the hazard damage and random chip damage directed his way. Leaf Storm is clicked early and often as a way to wear down Sceptile's counters. Dragon Pulse is there as a secondary STAB as well a way to pressure Mon's that resist Grass. Finally, Focus Blast rounds out the coverage helping the Steel types that would otherwise wall this set. There is some merit to regular Sceptile, as he can live an Ice Shard from Mamo that would kill him if he Mega'd and OHKO back with Leaf Storm.

Threatlist

This team struggles with M. Aero if Rocks are not on the field. I generally have to sack my Hydreigon to damage it then clean it with Mach Punch later. If Rocks are not on my side of the field, Conkeldurr is 2HKO'd by Aerial Ace, so he can get strong damage as an emergency check.

Sylveon, Specs in particular, is really rough for my team to handle. Nothing enjoys a boosted Hyper Voice and only Metagross can OHKO back with Meteor Mash.

Last Mon Curse+Rest sets are also particularly annoying to deal with as I don't have a taunter and nothing to setup along with them. I can still 2HKO CroCune with Focus Punch, so if they rest on my Sub and don't get an attack twice, then they will die.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/uu-418046711 - Recent UU Single Elim Tournament Finals. Mega Sceptile putting in that work

Thanks for any and all critiques, and let me know if you would like an importable of the team to try for yourself.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)