ORAS UU First try in UU

Hi everyone,

I tried to put some of my favourites in a UU-team. It would be great if you could give me some hints on it. I already recognized the Florges-weakness :/.

Scubanautox (Dragalge) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt

Dragalge is mainly responsible for the special damage. It can fire up adaptability-boosted Meteors as well as Sludge Waves which make switch-ins even for fairy types. Hydro Pump is for coverage, thunderbolt is currently a filler. Finally, its maximum hp investment and good special def should allow it to take some hits.

Gung-Bao San (Mienshao) @ Life Orb
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- U-turn

The plan is as simple of that: Bring it in, Fake Out, run away with U-turn and regenerate the Life Orb / hazard damage. Furthermore it can clean up with High Jump Kick in lategame. Knock Off is mainly for ghost that switch in expecting a High Jump Kick.

Night Shift (Umbreon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Curse
- Payback
- Wish

Umbreon has a decent special def with the investment. The physical def can be boostet with curse. After two or three of these Payback deals good damage with 100 base power and stab. Wish is for supporting the rest of the team or healing Umbreon itself in combination with protect.

Bully (Donphan) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

Donphan acts as a classical spinner and Stealth Rock setter. I decided to try use a more offensive spread as most players won't expect that. It should still be able to take some physical hits with the impish nature and deal passive damage with the Rocky Helmet.

FloppyMcHack (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Trick
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Overheat

Rotom-H can act as a Volt-Switch-Lead and it is able to give the Scarf to defensive Pokemon which turn completely useless then. I chose a modest nature as I think that it can outspeed everything relevent in UU with the scarf and full speed investment.

Fenix Lights (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Raikou completes the Volt-Turn-Trio of the team. The decent speed and special attack are completed with a good special defense thanks to the Assault Vest. It is able to come in against common UU-threats like Noivern and hit back with HP Ice.

Thanks and best wishes

mb2m

Last edited:

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Hello! Welcome to Smogon. I'm sure lots of people would love to rate your team, but you haven't followed the guidelines for doing so. To see the rules, go here. When you've looked over that, please edit your thread so people can properly rate your team. Thank you!

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
Well, it's an improvement.

First of all, I would recommend changing your Dragalge to match something along the lines of this:

EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

The given EV spread lets Dragalge outspeed Relaxed Swampert, OHKOing it with a Draco Meteor. Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt don't provide good coverage on Dragalge, as Draco Meteor and Sludge Wave usually do enough damage to Pokemon that are weak to it. Instead, I replaced those moves with Focus Blast and Dragon Pulse. Focus Blast bits Steel-types that resist Dragalge's STAB moves, and Dragon Pulse is a reliable STAB option that doesn't lower its Special Attack.

Mienshao looks good; the only thing I would do is move the EVs you have in HP over to Special Defense.

I'll do more later, this is all I have to say so far.

Thanks for you hints so far.

The speed-IVs on Dragagalge can be useful. Does it also help against other relevant Pokemon or is it just for Relaxed Swampert? I've also seen that Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt aren't that useful but I hate this stupid Focus Miss ;). Nevertheless, I'll think about it. Dragon Pulse will replace Thunderbolt.

Normally I play Wifi-Battles on Level 50. So it doesn't really matter where to put the 4 EVs on Mienshao, right?

It would be great if you or someone else could say something about the rest of the team.

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for you hints so far.

The speed-IVs on Dragagalge can be useful. Does it also help against other relevant Pokemon or is it just for Relaxed Swampert? I've also seen that Hydro Pump and Thunderbolt aren't that useful but I hate this stupid Focus Miss ;). Nevertheless, I'll think about it. Dragon Pulse will replace Thunderbolt.

Normally I play Wifi-Battles on Level 50. So it doesn't really matter where to put the 4 EVs on Mienshao, right?

It would be great if you or someone else could say something about the rest of the team.
Seeing how Dragalge is otherwise completely walled by Steel-types, running Focus Blast is almost a necessity and I agree with SM979's set.

Anyway, nice team you have here, but there are a couple of changes that I think should be made. Dragalge needs to be changed to the set above, which I assume you did.

Mega Alakazam, Mega Beedrill, and Mega Aerodactyl (among others) can easily rip through more than half of you team if unstopped. For this reason, I suggest that you change Mienshao's set from Life Orb to Choice Scarf and Stone Edge over Fake Out. This way, you'll have the appropriate coverage move and speed to revenge kill the Pokemon mentioned above.

Your Umbreon set, while good on paper, limit its potential. Your set requires Umbreon to stick around for a while to be useful, which makes it set up bait for a lot of mons as you can't even threaten status with it. A better set would be Switching Payback and Curse for Foul Play and Toxic. You should also switch from a Careful nature to a Calm nature to minimize opposing Foul Plays damage on yourself.

Since Donphan is your Hazard Setter/Hazard Remover, it would be a better idea to use Leftovers over Rocky Helmet so Donphan can stay alive longer. Keep in mind an Adamant nature works too to up your offensive pressure, but I wouldn't say it's definitely better than Impish, just a thought.

Since Mienshao can handle revenge killing by itself, I think it would be better to use Rotom-H as more of a wallbreaker by using Choice Specs over Choice Scarf, which can break through Specially Defensive Jirachi, a chance to OHKO Suicune, a chance to OHKO Nidoqueen, and a chance to OHKO Gligar. Keep in mind though, using HP Ice over Thunderbolt will let you have a better chance against Zygarde (which can't do much back unboosted) and OHKOs Gligar guaranteed.

Finally, I would suggest using Extrasensory over Shadow Ball just for coverage's sake since it allows Raikou to KO a damaged Fighting-type (and there are plenty).

Overall, nice team, and hope I helped!

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
To add on to what Minus said, I composed this remake of your team, with our changes, and some new ones, too.

EVs: 188 HP / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Dragon Pulse

The only thing I did to Dragalge was made its Attack IV 0, simply to reduce damage taken from self-inflicted confusion and Foul Play.

Gung-Bao San (Mienshao) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- High Jump Kick
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

I changed Mienshao's Ability to Reckless, for a stronger High Jump Kick. Regenerator isn't needed on this specific Mienshao because your team has Umbreon, who can heal it using Wish.

Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Wish
- Protect

Similar to Dragalge, The only thing I did to Umbreon was made its Attack IV 0, simply to reduce damage taken from self-inflicted confusion and Foul Play.

Bully (Donphan) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Since Donphan is your Stealth Rock setter, I changed its EV spread from 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def to 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD, making it a better physical wall.

FloppyMcHack (Rotom-Heat) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def

- Overheat
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power Ice
- Volt Switch

I moved the EVs you had in HP over to Special Defense, so it takes less Stealth Rock damage. A Timid Nature is now used over a Modest Nature, because it now has Choice Specs. 0 Attack IVs are used to reduce self-inflicted confusion and Foul Play damage, similar to Dragalge and Umbreon. Finally, Hidden Power Ice is used to hit Gligar and the like.

Fenix Lights (Raikou) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Extrasensory
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch

Similar to Dragalge, Umbreon and Rotom-Heat, the only thing I did to Umbreon was made its Attack IV 0, simply to reduce damage taken from self-inflicted confusion and Foul Play.

Hope this helped!

Minus

get a dog little longy, get a dog
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Agree with above except for Timid because it fails to OHKO the threats I mentioned. On phone so I can't elaborate

On Umbreon run Heal Bell or Taunt, since Blissey is a common switch in to Umbreon. Toxic will hurt Mienshoa, and the protect on HJK will hurt.

Thank you guys for your in-depth analysis and hints.

Is it really a good thing to have two Specs users (Dragalge and Rotom-H) in a single team?

I'll try out the Scarf on Reckless Mienshao, but I've been really satisfied with the Fake Out / U-turn / Regenerator combo.

On Umbreon run Heal Bell or Taunt, since Blissey is a common switch in to Umbreon. Toxic will hurt Mienshoa, and the protect on HJK will hurt.
This makes sense to me, too. The problem is that it would lack protect then:

Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Toxic
- Wish
- Heal Bell

Just to make sure: It is better to have an odd number of maximum HP, right? So in the case of Mienshao it would be better to put 4 EVs in HP when I do wifi-battles on level 50 (makes a maximum of 141) but 4 EVs to SpD when I battle on level 100 (makes a maximum of 271). Are my thoughts correct?

Would a potential Mega Pokemon fit in this team? I'm thinking of Blastoise-M as a tank.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)