ORAS NU Fun in the Sun

I'm somewhat new to the NU tier, but quite a lot of my favorite pokemon tend to be in the PU and NU tiers, so I wanted to try it. I really like how sun teams work, and tried to build one of my own. I tried to avoid using more than one of the same type, but I feel like my team doesn't work all that well together.

Probopass @ Heat Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Sunny Day
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Volt Switch

I've used Probopass as a weather setting lead before and quite enjoy using him. Normally I use stealth rock first and volt switch out since my Liepard can use sunny day as well. When Xatu leads, I use sunny day and switch out. I put magic coat on there in case I ran across something with sticky web, but so far it hasn't been very useful. Despite having sturdy, I tend to lose it very early on in the battle.

Liepard @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Taunt

I occasionally use Liepard as a lead depending on the opponent's team, but mostly she's my backup sun setter. I also use her to prevent opponents from setting up or outspeeding another member that would be outsped and OHKOed. She's been by far the most useful member of the team and somehow survives much longer than Probopass.

Victreebel @ Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Solar Beam
- Sludge Bomb
- Weather Ball
- Growth

I chose Victreebel since it has chlorophyll and can use solar beam. I have a serious issue with priority moves since it's not bulky at all. I've been able to OHKO a few things, but most teams have a lot of resistance to my STAB. I like that it resists Fighting though since I can easily switch in from Probopass or Liepard and outspeed most of the time.

Rapidash @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Drill Run
- Megahorn
- Wild Charge

Initially, I planned on using Ninetales as my fire type, but decided Rapidash is the better flash fire user. However, even with life orb, Rapidash seems to be very underwhelming. I've only had success with it if the opponent doesn't resist fire, but recoil and life orb damage destroy it. It dies much too fast for me to make any use of it.

Tauros @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Rock Climb
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head
- Earthquake

When I was coming up with the team, I knew Rapidash would be worn down very quickly, so I wanted to include another strong physical attacker. The few times I've brought it out, it's been decent. It's probably just bad luck, but when I do want to use it, my moves miss. It's quite frustrating and I don't think it fits on the team at all, but don't know what to replace it with.

Mismagius @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Dazzling Gleam
- Power Gem
- Nasty Plot

I added Mismagius for its immunity to ground and fighting. I know ground type moves are quite common, and my team is very weak to fighting. I've been able to switch it in plenty of times safely, but it dies before it gets to hit most of the time. I might just be using it wrong or have bad luck, but it's a little frustrating how many things use choice scarves and outspeed.

etern

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a defending SCL Championis a Former Smogon Metagame Tournament Circuit Champion
NU Leader
Hi Sarai! This is a fun looking take on Sun, a very effective, hyper offensive archetype. However, there are a few changes I have that can help make your team slightly more effective and easier to use.

• >
By substituting Probopass for Regirock your team gets a much more reliable Stealth Rock and Sun setter. Due to its 4x weaknesses to Fighting- and Ground-type attacks Probopass struggles to take on most of the Normal-types that it wants to deal with due to their coverage. Furthermore, Regirock also has Sturdy, so it more or less provides the same utility Probopass did, but to a greater extent.

• Knock Off > Taunt
Generally Liepard does not have the bulk to make good use of Taunt, and with Knock Off you can cripple walls such as AV Hariyama as well as have some sort of offensive presence. Another option could be trying Encore over Thunder Wave, as Encore can give you safe opportunities to let other sweepers such as Victreebell set up, and in general puts a stop to sweepers similarly to Thunder Wave. (This is moreso based on your personal preference.)

• >
Exeggutor is more or less a staple on Sun teams due to its ridiculous power off a base 125 Attack stat, great coverage, and the ability to break Hariyama with Psyshock. (Hariyama is a big threat to sun due to its combination of Thick Fat and commonly used item "Assault Vest") Exeggutor also gives you a soft check to Fighting-types as it can quite comfortably outspeed them under the sun as well as resisting Hitmonchan's Mach Punch.

• >
Shiftry gives you a secondary ground resistance with the bonus of being able to break threats to Sun such as Skuntank and Magmortar with Explosion and Knock Off respectively. It also gives you priority in Sucker Punch so you can pick of weaker foes even if the sun runs out. This is generally a better pick than Mismagius as you can fully abuse the sun and synergise with the other team members a lot better.

• >
Finally, I decided that rather than a Fire-type, your team would much rather appreciate the passive damage Garbodor can provide with Spikes and Toxic Spikes. Garbodor gives your team a secondary check to Normal-types as well as a great switch in to Fighting-types which you said were a nuisance to your former team.

Regirock @ Heat Rock
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 240 HP / 216 Atk / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Sunny Day
- Explosion
- Stone Edge

Liepard @ Heat Rock
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Sunny Day
- U-turn
- Thunder Wave
- Knock Off

Exeggutor @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Solar Beam
- Psyshock
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sleep Powder

Shiftry @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Explosion
- Leaf Storm

Garbodor @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Aftermath
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Impish Nature
- Gunk Shot
- Focus Blast
- Spikes
- Toxic Spikes

Hopefully these changes help you, good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)