Generation Defining Moves

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
So this article would cover each generation highlighted which particular Pokemon moves "defined' it.

For example:

Gen 3: Spikes, Dragon Dance, etc

Gen 4: Close Combat, Draco Meteor, those rocks that everyone's always on about

Gen 5: Shell Smash?

Lol, stuff like that. Thought it'd be fun to write :)

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hmmm what exactly do you mean by 'Generation defining' ? Just clarifying. Is it the same as metagame defining? I'm not exactly sure >_> also are you doing it from RBY through BW or just a few generations?

Sounds interesting but I'd like to clarify some stuff first :)

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
I guess by defining I mean "these are the moves you think of when you think of this generation". They would have to be moves that were introduced during said generation and would be the ones that stood out as the "best" new moves of the generation. If that makes any sense xD

And yeah I'd do RBY through BW

sandshrewz

POTATO
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh I see. I supposed using its influence on the metagame to explain why they're generation defining is could be one of your approach? Spikes is from GSC btw :p Sound good to me~ let's see what another staffer have to say :)

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
So this article would cover each generation highlighted which particular Pokemon moves "defined' it.

For example:

Gen 2: Spikes, etc

Gen 3: Dragon Dance, etc

Gen 4: Close Combat, Draco Meteor, those rocks that everyone's always on about

Gen 5: Shell Smash?

Lol, stuff like that. Thought it'd be fun to write :)

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
Ugh excuse that last post I meant to edit the OP xD didn't realize that you couldn't. Anyway sounds good sandshrewz, also yeah that was a dumb mistake, to do with spikes, made this op very quick

Slight problem I see is that the most definitive moves of a generation are often older moves. The only "definitive" new moves in BW, for instance, would be Scald and Volt Switch. The others (Shell Smash, Dragon Tail, Quiver Dance) are pretty rare or niche, while moves like Stealth Rock and Substitute have a greater impact overall. The line also gets blurry with moves that have changed over generations, such as Roar/Whirlwind gaining effects in GSC and Spikes going from 1 to 3 layers in ADV.

I think a better direction would either be A) the most definitive moves of each generation, regardless of if they're new, or B) the best new moves of a generation, regardless of how definitive they are. If that makes sense...

Joeyboy

Has got the gift of gab
Ah see I kinda meant for this to be essentially "The Best New moves of a Generation" was just trying to come up with a good title :/

If I change the title to the above would that be better?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)