Multifaction/FFA Genius Game - Grand Final - Main Match 3 (Draft Mafia)

UncleSam

Leading this village
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
shubaka17 has chosen idiotfrommars to be his opponent in the death match!

The two of you can now negotiate which death match to play, or let me know that you'd like to play a random one. You may also figure out a time that works for both of you - if you can't agree on a time, then the match will take place at 11 AM PST on Sunday, January 14th.

i'd like to do the deathmatch no sooner than sometime between 12 and 22 hours from now, or at US's time. all day saturday won't work for me. Anaments, 1 survives, dog, really almost all of the deathmatches seem fun

hey kiddos. got pms from US and ifm on smog sayin were gonna delay til 230 pm PST but the day is either today or tomorrow, it wasnt clear. just makin sure yall dont wait around to spectate us, when the game’s been delayed. here’s hoping we get this determined, since id hate for the win based on shabby timekeeping

UncleSam

Leading this village
idiotfrommars and bested shubaka17 in 1 Survives! Good game all.

Log of the match can be found here:
ok shubaka played a 4+1, hodor played a 3

shubaka wins the 3 and both are added to his discard pile

bonqueersha - Today at 2:52 PM
sup

their*

zorbees - Today at 2:53 PM
shubaka were you the one that said they were quitting smogon soon

UncleSum - Today at 2:53 PM
ifm played 5, shub played 2

bonqueersha - Today at 2:53 PM
yes zorbbes

UncleSum - Today at 2:53 PM
ifm wins the 2

aw man

what happens if you win this dm

then i get a sub

oh

how come ur quittin

UncleSum - Today at 2:54 PM
hes going

to the military i think

zorbees - Today at 2:54 PM
ah

bonqueersha - Today at 2:54 PM
yah

theyre going*

boot camp the 22nd

thank u zorbees

i didnt wanna get annpying with that

UncleSum - Today at 2:54 PM
shubaka plays 3+2, ifm plays 2+2, shubaka wins the 2

im perfectly satisfied being annoying

sick

UncleSum - Today at 2:57 PM
shubaka plays 1, ifm plays 4, ifm wins and both go to the separate pile

let me review how that works lmao

HODOR - Today at 2:57 PM
so is forced to play 5 and i am forced to play 1 right

since those are last cards

bonqueersha - Today at 2:57 PM
i gotta win 1 of these two

and yea but uve still got a +1

UncleSum - Today at 2:58 PM
you must play

each of your cards

before you can play discarded one

ones*

alright

ifm plays 1

shub plays 5

ifm wins

the decks are, for round 2: ifm: 5/5/1/2

shub: 3/4/2/3

with 4 and 1 in emergency pile

HODOR - Today at 2:59 PM
gg

bonqueersha - Today at 2:59 PM
yea

UncleSum - Today at 2:59 PM
ya thats gg

ifm plays 5+2

theres nothing shub can do about that

UncleSam

Leading this village
- 10 Players Remaining -

It is now time for Main Match 10 - Knowledge Olympiad!

After all, how can I crown you a Genius if you don’t demonstrate some, well, genius? The ten remaining players will first be broken up into two teams of five based on an auction draft. These five players will then each compete in one challenge, with the challenges being: Math, Logic, Analytical Writing, History / Politics, and Deathmatch. Those who win their matches on the team which wins at least 3 of the matches above will be given immunity from the death match, as will one player voted on by the losing team. The losing team will vote for who they think ought to be the death match candidate simultaneously with the immunity vote.

Team captains will be decided as follows: the top two players to ‘apply’ to be captains in terms of garnets will be allowed to be captains. If less than two want to be captains, then I will conscript from the lowest garnet totals. These two captains will pick the rest of their teams, and will largely have their fates more dependent on the team’s success than other players. It will be advantageous, if you are not a captain, to be drafted for as much as you can, so sell yourself to the team captains as someone they ought to bid high on.

The auction draft details are as follows:
  • Each captain will receive 100$, and may purchase 5 additional dollars for each garnet.
  • In addition to the 8 other players, there will be additional ‘bonuses’ available for purchase in the draft: one boost for each of the five challenges, and several additional game-based boosts that you can find detailed below. I would strongly suggest sending garnets to captains conditional on them drafting you both in order to boost your own stock and to allow your team the best chance to win.
The challenges are, in detail (note that all of these, outside of the History / Politics challenge, can be aided by your teammates):

Math: There will be three rather difficult problems that I will link both competitors to be able to view at the same time. Whoever submits the correct answer for at least two of the problems first will win the challenge. You may submit individual answers to each problem twice in order to check whether your first solution to the problem is correct, but if you blow your first submission you’ll have to fly blind on that question. I will confirm whether your answer submissions are correct (at least 2 out of 3) no more than once every five minutes. The winner will have the opportunity, if he solves 2 out of 3 within 15 minutes, to solve the final problem within that same 15 minute time limit for an extra two garnets.

The problems themselves will fall under the following three categories:
  1. Bayesian Probability. The easiest problem to conceptualize, but rather computation heavy. Expect this to take a bit of time and expect to need a calculator. Bayesian probability means calculating probabilities of things conditional on certain circumstances.
  2. A reasonably difficult combinatorics problem. This one should take roughly as much time as problem 1, and is relatively easy to conceptualize. Calculating the solution should prove a bit tricky, however, and you should plan to double check your answer as this problem does not conform to typical combinatorics norms (combinatorics means counting permutations of different sets of things).
  3. A Maximum Likelihood Estimator problem that is the most difficult to conceptualize, but is also the fastest to solve with a strong knowledge of the subject. I strongly recommend reviewing this topic heavily in advance if you plan on trying to solve this problem, but if you know how to calculate MLEs of a variety of different distributions quickly then this problem should take no more than a minute, as the empirical data I will provide will be very straightforward.
Auction Bonus: Receive the questions 2 minutes in advance of the other team. These 2 minutes will be considered bonus time and not counted against the 15 minute bonus for all questions.

Logic: I have devised a rather complex logic puzzle that I will link both competitors to simultaneously. The final answer will involve a passcode, and whoever submits the correct 12-character passcode to me first will win. You may submit no more than one passcode per minute.

Auction Bonus: I will reveal one additional piece of information (not required for the solution, but could well save time).

Analytical Writing: I will present a prompt based on Circus Maximus game strategy (I would strongly recommend only players who are well aware of Circus Maximus history and game theory try this category), and you will have to write a response either agreeing or disagreeing with the prompt on a google document I will link to you. I will lock said document 25 minutes later, and whatever is on the document at that time will be your response. Expect to need to make a strong, reasoned, and organized argument that is persuasive and structured. I will judge based on the following criteria (also provided with the prompt, but you should review these beforehand as well):
  1. Organization: Strong, clear topic sentences. Clear ideas in each paragraph. Obvious how each paragraph contributes to overall argument, and why the paragraphs are ordered as they are.
  2. Logic: How persuasive the argument is. Do points make sense, are potential counter-arguments addressed, and is the argument persuasive. Specific examples recommended to maximize score in this category.
  3. Prose: Avoids redundancy of arguments or words, correct spelling and grammar, and well-written sentences / well-chosen words.
  4. Overall Quality: Does the argument feel complete, is the overall piece compelling, and is it well-written. This category will reward those who go above and beyond in any of the above three categories (i.e. simply avoiding mistakes or redundancy may get you a perfect or near-perfect in the Prose category, but if you write strong turns of phrase or use memorable stylistic devices you’ll get bonus points for it in this category).
I will either judge the two submission myself based on the above criteria, or will recruit two other judges to judge them with me. For spectators, if you’d like to be a judge feel free to PM me. I’m also willing to hear from players on how they’d prefer these responses be judged.

Auction Bonus: I will give 5 free points to the team that buys this (each of the above 4 are scaled 0 - 10, so this is effectively +5 out of 40 to your score).

History / Politics: This one will be over Skype and will be live in order to hopefully eliminate cheating, so be aware of the technical requirement behind this one. This will be a quiz consisting of three rounds of 5 questions each, where a correct answer before your opponent will give you 1, 2, or 3 points (depending on the round) each. Expect the questions to get harder as the game goes on. I will allow 60 seconds to respond to each, and all responses must be made audibly with your hands visible in the Skype call (basically just don’t fking look up the answers to these online while we are doing this, I’ll provide you with the categories for the questions below so just review them if you feel weak on a certain topic). This is the only challenge where your teammates must not help you (they can help you do background research, but during the challenge you must not be talking to people or having people look things up for you).

Round 1 Question Topics: (1 point each)
  1. 20th century presidents
  2. Constitutional amendments
  3. Civil rights movement
  4. The space race
  5. Civil war battles
Round 2 Question Topics: (2 points each)
  1. 19th century battles
  2. 20th century presidential elections
  3. Albert Einstein
  4. Major league baseball
  5. 21st century statewide elections
Round 3 Question Topics: (3 points each)
  1. SCOTUS justices
  2. WWII combatants
  3. The Texas Revolution
  4. Founding Fathers
Round 4 Question (Final Jeopardy Style)
  1. 2000 presidential election
Auction bonus: During the game, at any point, the player from the team that buys this will be able to ‘boost’ his score for the next five questions. Any questions he gets right he will get +2 points for. Additionally, you will win ties.

Deathmatch: This one’s simple. Pick a deathmatch and play it. If you pick anything other than DOG you’re doing it wrong, but I’ll allow it.

Auction bonus: The right to pick the deathmatch, and +2 garnets on top of the usual +2 for winning, if the team that buys this wins (garnets go to the player who won).

The teams will receive bonuses based on placement. Each player who wins his match will receive +2 garnets for doing so. The rewards will be:
Captain of winning team: +6 Garnets, second choice of challenge on team
Captain of losing team: +1 vote and wins ties for death match candidacy, second choice of challenge on team
All challenge winners on winning team: Immunity
One additional player (by vote of losing team, in theory someone who best contributed to the success of the team, match winners get +1 vote automatically for this): Immunity
One player (by vote of losing team, must be someone who lost their match or the captain): Death match candidate
Highest-priced player on team: +4 garnets winner, +2 garnets loser, right to select which match he plays in for his team
2nd highest on team: +3 winner, +1 loser, third choice to select which match he plays in for his team
3rd highest: +2 winner, fourth choice to select match
4th highest: +1 winner, gets whatever is left

In summary, the items available for auction are:
Non-Captain Players 1-8

Math Boost

Logic Boost

Analytical Writing Boost

History / Politics Boost

Deathmatch Boost

Don’t go down with the ship: If your team loses 3-2, you do not get a +1 vote for death match candidacy, and if you won your challenge, you are not eligible for voting (but can still be selected for the death match).

Cancel Boost: Captain gets the right to cancel one of the boosts bought by the other team at the conclusion of the draft.

Great Glory: If your team wins, you earn immunity, regardless of your individual match result (captain only).

The current garnet counts and players are:
LightWolf - 12
Da Letter El - 10
Flyhn - 10
zorbees - 10
VigilanteVigoroth -10
Asek - 9
Blazade - 8
idiotfrommars - 8
ItzViper482 - 7
Isa - 6

Last edited:

UncleSam

Leading this village
I will be taking Captain applications for 24 hours. If you want to be a captain, PM me. It'll be first come first serve if there's a tie based on the garnet lists.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Ok well zorbees and DLE (in that order) have applied to be Captains, so now it is just down to LightWolf whether he wants to be one. If he does, it'll be LW / zorbees. If not, it'll be zorbees / DLE.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Made two slight changes:
1. Adjusted the go down with the ship boost to only impact when you lose 3-2
2. Removed the winning team vote immunity because it was supposed to be either that or the losing team vote, not both.

UncleSam

Leading this village
One more adjustment: the vote of the losing team no longer has any restrictions, but there will be +1 vote for anyone who wins their match. Basically I want to be clear that any attempts at match fixing are strictly against the rules and against your own interests. Once you get drafted to a team, try your best to win your match. If you have allies you want to compete with, try your best to make deals with the captains to get on the same team as your allies, don't try to fix matches.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Ok the time of the auction draft will be at 7 PM PST on Tuesday, January 16th. The captains are zorbees and LightWolf.

It may well be to your advantage to be online during the draft even if you've made a deal with one captain or another, since you can always react to how the draft is going to make a deal as well.

I will allow all players to PM me with garnet amounts they are willing to transfer immediately upon being drafted to their team captain, or based on captain. You don't have to PM me with anything but sending garnets to your captain could well result in your team getting boosts for your challenge down the line, or for you to get drafted for more points and thus gain an advantage. All players should try to contact the captains during this time, and should try to figure out what tasks they would be best at relative to the other players and sell themselves as being strong.

UncleSam

Leading this village
It's been asked how I will be handling transfers and point buys. I will require that both captains submit how many of their own garnets they wish to purchase points with prior to the start of the draft. Any remaining garnets the captains have are locked on them - they can't be given as a bribe to others, and they can't be used to purchase points. Players may at any time during the draft submit to me how much they are willing to spend on points for their team depending on who drafts them and for how much. However, you may only submit garnets in the form of points to your team, and you if you don't submit anything this will default to zero. It would be a good idea to PM me with how much you're willing to spend prior to the start of the draft, based on agreements made with the captains.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Also, after a brief review, I've updated the History / Politics questions to refine the scope of the hint for one of the round 3 questions, shift it to round 4, and make it worth 5 points. This was done because I felt it supremely unlikely anyone would get it correct in the format presented previously, and because I felt it was a clear step up in difficulty from the other round 3 questions.

UncleSam

Leading this village
Uh one more update: I just updated the round 4 of the history / politics to be a final jeopardy style question (aka you bet up to however many points you have on the question before you see it, then either win or lose that many based on whether you answer it correctly). This question will have players submit answers privately to me (in other words, answering correctly first does not matter, as it does for other questions). I've also shifted the auction bonus to include winning ties.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)