Gimmicks and Their Role in NU

approved by Raseri a long time ago, most of the OP stolen from OU
There are many sets that have a certain surprise factor to them due to being uncommon and completely different from the Pokemon's normal fare. These Pokemon can make or break battles—these are called gimmicks.

A gimmick is anything that is completely different from a Pokemon's normal fare or a completely different Pokemon entirely. These sets can catch the opponent off guard and throw off their battle plan while advancing yours. Netting a surprise kill or two can mean the difference between a win and a loss. This is not like Expert Belt Latios or something where you're running a standard set but switch up the item and maybe a move with the same general goal. This includes Pokemon such as mixed Shiftry and Eelektross; Taunt Fighting Gem Sawk; Psych Up Metang, Regirock, and Regice; and so on. These are Pokemon tailored to lure and defeat specific Pokemon. Sometimes these sets go on to become popular or somewhat standard, and sometimes they have very niche purposes for certain teams.

Now that we've defined a gimmick, let's talk about the purpose of this thread. This thread is the place to post your gimmicks and to discuss the role of gimmicks in competitive battling. Another good discussion point is the use of them in tournaments vs. the ladder, where it's the difference between winning one battle and consistency. How do these gimmicks affect defensive teams? Are there defensive gimmicks? What works? What doesn't?

As a last note -- what I'm looking for in posted sets:

[sprite]
Pokemon @ Item
Trait: Ability
EVs: EV Spread
[x] Nature
- Move 1
- Move 2
- Move 3
- Move 4

[A short description of how the set works—around a paragraph is good enough]

For example:

Primeape @ Choice Band
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Assurance
- Ice Punch
- U-turn

This is a Primeape set that I used in my most recent (serious) RMT, which was used to lure in and defeat Musharna with the use of the very situation move, Assurance. After some hazards damage, if Musharna switches into Primeape's Assurance, it is 2HKO'd, opening a sweep for itself or Jynx later on in the match. Obviously this isn't the perfect gimmick; Musharna users won't always switch into Primeape because of U-turn. But because my team doesn't carry a Skuntank, having another way to defeat Musharna without anything on my team being paralyzed or without losing my Liepard to a stray Signal Beam can be incredibly advantageous.

It's also very important to note why your set is usable over standard ones. This doesn't just go for the Pokemon itself, but also for other Pokemon that could fulfill its role far better. For example, you could use Curse Musharna with Zen Headbutt instead of the standard Calm Mind set, but there's little to no reason to do this, as you ultimately end up losing to almost all of the same Pokemon you did before, plus more. Also, please have experience with your sets before you post them! It's great to think up of something that could be good, but without actually using it, you'll never know for sure. I've had plenty of ideas that were great on paper just not work at all in practice.

That's about it! I'll probably archive some of the sets in this thread here in the OP, so get to posting. :)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor

Gothorita @ Eviolite
Trait: Shadow Tag
EVs: 248 HP / 80 Def / 180 Spe
Bold Nature
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Rest
- Psychic

Taunt + Toxic spell disaster for most walls, but Gothorita is especially effective at this because the walls are trapped. Taunt Goth's biggest advantage is stopping Musharna's Baton Pass and Calm Mind (as well as Heal Bell), leaving the blob of dreams totally helpless before Gothorita. Being able to stop Leech Seed & Sleep Powder from Tangela and SubSeed Exeggutor also makes trapping them much less of an ordeal. The high amount of speed allows Goth to Taunt standard Garbodor before it can lay down hazards and easily KOing it before it can do much more, the same applying to Roselia (speed can be swapped for bulk if this is not necessary, but speed is still essential for Taunt to work). While this set looks to be helpless against Steels (which it is), the standard CMGoth can't really do anything about Probopass's Volt Switch, Bastiodon's Roar or Metang's boosted-Meteor Mash/Psych Up anyway. Taunt Goth is for teams who don't need Goth to come out guns blazing after KOing a wall, but are instead content with it doing its job with better consistency.

Last edited:

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Victreebel@ Life Orb
Trait: Chlorophyll
IVs: 29 HP (optional)
EVs: 4 A/252SpA/-SpD/252+Speed
Sleep Powder
Leaf Storm
Sludge Bomb
Sucker Punch

Used for recent Research Group, and this thing is a beast. This set can be very similar to Shiftry, who has better speed, stab sucker punch and a more reliable check to Musharna, however, the ability to absorb t-spikes and sleep powder gives Victreebel its niche. Leaf storm+sleep powder is a very strong combo, especially for slower walls who can tank 2 leaf storms, only to be hit with a sleep powder after the first leaf storm and not being able to recover their hp. Leaf storm is also a very strong move in general, and if it gets a free opportunity in, it will deal major damage to any non-wall pokes, including those that resist it (minus scolipede). Sludge bomb is there for stab, and can deal damage to some grass types (primarily ludicolo), and the poison chance is appreciated. Max speed is used to outspeed samurott and modest ludicolo, killing with appropriate stab moves. Victreebel falls into weird speed stat that it really doesn't outspeed much else with max investment, though it would appreciate a little extra speed to outspeed adament sawk. Sucker punch is really a great move on this set, as pokes such as jynx, swellow or weakened pokes are expecting to outspeed and kill, only to either die or take a massive hit from sucker punch (kills jynx). This is the best way to utilize victreebel on a non-sun team.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
exeggutor @ lum berry
trait: harvest
evs: 252 hp / 252 sdef
sassy nature
- wood hammer
- psychic
- rest
- filler

very effective at luring out and killing jynx as long as it's not holding life orb although i'm pretty sure it survives that as well. also does pretty well against special water-types such as ludicolo and samurott without megahorn. last slot can be sleep powder or stun spore or whatever you feel like using

I was a big advocate of using things like Fire Blast Absol way back when and more recently Copycat Samurott. Looking forward to see what comes out of this thread. I'm going to test some older gimmicks at some point tonight/tomorrow and we'll see how well they perform now.

Slaking + Yamask is a fun gimmick strategy. I max Yamask's Special Defense EVs, and I send it into a Physical attacker. Then Mummy is passed onto that physical attacker, and after that Slaking is sent (if Ymask dies to the physical attack, I send Slaking, and if it doesn't I use Memento) to use Pursuit and gain the ability Mummy. I use the combo this way, I don't know if it's the most exploitable way of using it though.

Yamask @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def
- Pain Split
- Haze
- Memento
- Night Shade

Slaking @ Leftovers
Trait: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 HP / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Slack Off
- Substitute

I prefer to run Sub on Slaking because Toxic can be fatal for it, Earthquake can be used to deal with Rock and Steel-types. Slaking is very bulky, and it can win a game all by itself after getting Mummy. Slack Off is also very important as it heavily increases Slaking's durability. The EV spread allows it to outspeed Choice Band Adamant Sawk, its Attack is maximized, and the rest goes to HP to improve its bulk.

Slaking can use Sub against Choice Band Sawk, wait for the Close Combat, and then OHKO -1 Def Sawk with Return.

Last edited:
Anti-lead troll:

Lopunny @ Flame Orb
Trait: Klutz
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Switcheroo
- Copycat
- Protect
- Filler

I had originally been using this set as part of a Whirlwind Assist team to copy hazards, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well it was working and think this could fit on other teams as well. The basic idea is to Switcheroo a Flame Orb onto their lead turn 1 while they use hazards and then copy them on turn 2. With Protect, I can scout which moves they use and if I am faster, I can copy those as well. For example, if someone sends in Misdreavus against me, I can protect the Taunt or the Will-O-Wisp and then send it back with Copycat. Protect also has synergy with the flame orb, since I can protect stall for extra damage. Not entirely sure what to use for the last move, Return is probably the way to go but I can see something like Toxic or Healing Wish be useful in that slot, possibly even Mirror Coat for extreme trolling.

Last edited:
Yeah that Lopunny set is actually an extremely effective lead in the current meta, even on non-dedicated Assist teams. I've seen YouTubers such as Pyrotoz use it fairly often, as well as myself using it a few times, and for some reason so many people fall for it and go for rocks turn one. Very good gimmick

Slaking + Yamask is a fun gimmick strategy. I max Yamask's Special Defense EVs, and I send it into a Physical attacker. Then Mummy is passed onto that physical attacker, and after that Slaking is sent (if Ymask dies to the physical attack, I send Slaking, and if it doesn't I use Memento) to use Pursuit and gain the ability Mummy. I use the combo this way, I don't know if it's the most exploitable way of using it though.

Yamask @ Leftovers
Trait: Mummy
EVs: 252 SDef
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Atk / 0 Def
- Pain Split
- Haze
- Memento
- Night Shade

Slaking @ Leftovers
Trait: Truant
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 HP / 136 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Return
- Pursuit
- Slack Off
- Substitute

I prefer to run Sub on Slaking because Toxic can be fatal for it, Earthquake can be used to deal with Rock and Steel-types. Slaking is very bulky, and it can win a game all by itself after getting Mummy. Slack Off is also very important as it heavily increases Slaking's durability. The EV spread allows it to outspeed Choice Band Adamant Sawk, its Attack is maximized, and the rest goes to HP to improve its bulk.

Slaking can use Sub against Choice Band Sawk, wait for the Close Combat, and then OHKO -1 Def Sawk with Return.
MummyKing is a pretty obvious strategy, and I don't really find it very effective at all. The problem is that you're dedicating two teamslots in order for one Pokemon to (possibly) succeed, where you could be using two Pokemon that complement each other well offensively or defensively in order to achieve your win condition. However, if I was going to use it, I'd use 252 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly Slaking. One of the greatest appeals of using Slaking in general is that it outruns base 95 Speed Pokemon and can Pursuit some of them (Jynx, Haunter) and just smash others when they aren't running Choice Scarf. I've also never seen anyone use Yamask in this duo without using Eject Button. It relies on your opponent OHKOing you with a contact move, which is honestly pretty situational, especially with Yamask's immunities to Fighting and Normal.

Remember before you post to read over the OP.
These sets can catch the opponent off guard and throw off their battle plan while advancing yours.
Like I said before, this is a pretty predictable combination, and I don't see it advancing your plan of attack much better than with an entirely different core.

Reactions: DTC

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
exeggutor @ lum berry
trait: harvest
evs: 252 hp / 252 sdef
sassy nature
- wood hammer
- psychic
- rest
- filler

very effective at luring out and killing jynx as long as it's not holding life orb although i'm pretty sure it survives that as well. also does pretty well against special water-types such as ludicolo and samurott without megahorn. last slot can be sleep powder or stun spore or whatever you feel like using
The last slot could even go to Trick Room if you're running a bit of a slower team or you need a panic button against a Scarf Charizard.

MummyKing is a pretty obvious strategy, and I don't really find it very effective at all. The problem is that you're dedicating two teamslots in order for one Pokemon to (possibly) succeed, where you could be using two Pokemon that complement each other well offensively or defensively in order to achieve your win condition. However, if I was going to use it, I'd use 252 Atk / 252 Spe Jolly Slaking. One of the greatest appeals of using Slaking in general is that it outruns base 95 Speed Pokemon and can Pursuit some of them (Jynx, Haunter) and just smash others when they aren't running Choice Scarf. I've also never seen anyone use Yamask in this duo without using Eject Button. It relies on your opponent OHKOing you with a contact move, which is honestly pretty situational, especially with Yamask's immunities to Fighting and Normal.

Remember before you post to read over the OP.

Like I said before, this is a pretty predictable combination, and I don't see it advancing your plan of attack much better than with an entirely different core.
But your opponent is hard-pressed, they sometimes won't dare use a contact physical attack because they see the Yamask coming. And the use of Substitute in Slaking answers to "These sets can catch the opponent off guard and throw off their battle plan while advancing yours." because it it gets to set up, your opponent's plan may be: "I have to burn or poison it!" and then Substitute does the trick. What makes this gimmicky strategy work is that Mummy stays for the whole battle, for both the opponent and Slaking, and this is good, because using Yamask is not wasting two teamslots, some attackers like Kangaskhan are quite annoyed by Mummy, and also Yamask runs Memento, which means it can help a teammate set up, and Haze, so that it isn't easy to set up on it.

It's true that Yamask has an immunity to Normal and Fighting, two very common physically based typings, but you can just use a Ring Target, and you lose your immunities. With Ring Target, Tauros loses Sheer Force, and there may be more examples or Pokémon that get messed up by Yamask.

I agree with you it works better with the Eject Button than with Lefties, though, I don't know what I was thinking there.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
But your opponent is hard-pressed, they sometimes won't dare use a contact physical attack because they see the Yamask coming. And the use of Substitute in Slaking answers to "These sets can catch the opponent off guard and throw off their battle plan while advancing yours." because it it gets to set up, your opponent's plan may be: "I have to burn or poison it!" and then Substitute does the trick. What makes this gimmicky strategy work is that Mummy stays for the whole battle, for both the opponent and Slaking, and this is good, because using Yamask is not wasting two teamslots, some attackers like Kangaskhan are quite annoyed by Mummy, and also Yamask runs Memento, which means it can help a teammate set up, and Haze, so that it isn't easy to set up on it.

It's true that Yamask has an immunity to Normal and Fighting, two very common physically based typings, but you can just use a Ring Target, and you lose your immunities. With Ring Target, Tauros loses Sheer Force, and there may be more examples or Pokémon that get messed up by Yamask.

I agree with you it works better with the Eject Button than with Lefties, though, I don't know what I was thinking there.
Even if this combo isn't predictable (which it is), consider that the majority of contact attacks are Normal and Fighting (or is U-turn :P), meaning Yamask has a limited number of attacks to switch in on for the strategy to work. Even if you did pull off the Mummy + Eject Button thing, the use of Substitute to block status first causes the whole plan to fall apart since your opponent can switch without risking the Pursuit due to Truant, thus rendering the use of Yamask completely moot. And then you suggest Ring Target just so that Mummy can work, exposing yourself to things like Primeape and Kangaskhan (the latter of which can still hit you even after losing Scrappy). It's pretty obvious at this point that this is not a surprise gimmick, rather just another attempt at making Slaking usable; Slaking itself isn't even running anything gimmicky to get past its main checks like Musharna, Probopass, Tangela or even Golurk.

For the record, Mummy only lasts as long as the afflicted Pokemon stays in, their natural ability will return after the switch (which is why you're Pursuiting them in the first place), so yeah this strategy has been tried many times before and isn't any more effective even now.

Even if this combo isn't predictable (which it is), consider that the majority of contact attacks are Normal and Fighting (or is U-turn :p), meaning Yamask has a limited number of attacks to switch in on for the strategy to work. Even if you did pull off the Mummy + Eject Button thing, the use of Substitute to block status first causes the whole plan to fall apart since your opponent can switch without risking the Pursuit due to Truant, thus rendering the use of Yamask completely moot. And then you suggest Ring Target just so that Mummy can work, exposing yourself to things like Primeape and Kangaskhan (the latter of which can still hit you even after losing Scrappy). It's pretty obvious at this point that this is not a surprise gimmick, rather just another attempt at making Slaking usable; Slaking itself isn't even running anything gimmicky to get past its main checks like Musharna, Probopass, Tangela or even Golurk.

For the record, Mummy only lasts as long as the afflicted Pokemon stays in, their natural ability will return after the switch (which is why you're Pursuiting them in the first place), so yeah this strategy has been tried many times before and isn't any more effective even now.
Is that true?, I have seen Mummy staying after switching, it happened against a Golurk, was that a bug in Showdown or something? And of course I don't use Sub after sending Slaking, I am not such a fool. After the Pursuit, as Slaking is fast and the opponent tends to send things like Alomomola, Substitute works.

EDIT: I am sorry, in Showdown things work like they should, but the listed ability is wrong in the first turn you send the Pokémon, so that's why I made a mistake. I mean, for example, let's say a Golurk kills Yamask with Shadow Punch, it gets Mummy, I send Slaking, use Pursuit and get Mummy, while the Golurk flees. Then some turns later, Golurk is sent again, according to Showdown the ability is Mummy when you put your mouse on the Pokémon, but in effect it's the ablity it should hace, in this case No Guard. I sent Slaking later and the same happened, putting the mouse on it says that the ability is Mummy, but after loafing around in the second turn it's listed as Truant again, sorry again, I was wrong, then MummyKing is a fun strategy, but not a very effective one, I won't post more silly gimmicks like that.

EDIT2: Here's the replay, and things are even worse as even though Slaking doesn't move in that turn, the ability listed is still Mummy:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu-51515334

EDIT3: Ok, I keep on making a fool of myself, as the abilities can't be seen in that replay, they could be seen when pressing Instant Replay, but not after uploading the battle, but try it yourselves, and you'll see that Mummy is listed as the ability.

Last edited:

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm mainly here to talk about gimmick sets as a whole. Their effectiveness are based on surprise value and the less "gimmicky" (essentially the less risk your set incorporates) you're willing to go the more useful it will probably end up being in a game. What I mean by less risk is, that whatever move or strategy your set incorporates, it doesn't get in the way of what the Pokemon is meant to do. Take an old set like Life Orb Low Kick Exeggutor, you're still a strong special attacking powerhouse, but can now get rid of special walls that get in your way such as Lickilicky and Regice in exchange for giving up some bulk and a moveslot. I would not consider the set in the OP to be a gimmick, rather a standard set with a gimmick option that can work from time to time. I would say that the gimmickier you make a set, the less effective it will be and that a standard set with a few changes is much more effective as a whole. (Taunt Sawk > LO SubSplit Sawk as an example) Of course the definition of what would be considered a gimmick differs from Pokemon to Pokemon and metagame to metagame. The good gimmicks arise from metagame calls, something in the metagame that become prominent and being able to get around it in some way is highly beneficial. Scolipede dropped and then Missy's popularity arose while the Speed tier went up and the metagame became a little bit less bulky. From there Sawk takes the metagame call and out comes the Taunt Adamant Fist Plate set that can get around Missy and not ruin the whole wallbreaker aspect of Sawk too badly. It can also get surprise KOes from people expecting CB.

Other examples of less gimmicky vs more gimmicky: The SpD Eggy set works in essentially the same scenerios you would use standard LumRest Eggy for, while giving you a better match up vs special Water-types. It can also lure Scarf Jynx to come in, thinking it can KO with Ice Beam, while you live and KO back with Wood Hammer. On the flipside, the Lopunny set posted is extremely gimmicky and unless it's pulled off perfectly, it would become deadweight quickly and will work only once.

Since I'm here I might as well drop a set. I don't know if you would really call it a gimmick, but it's definitely something different for Eelektross.

Eelektross @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Giga Drain
- Roar
- Super Fang

I used this set on a stall team because I wanted a SubBU Braviary counter that could phaze. I was trying out Golurk as my Stealth Rock/Ghost mon so something like Bastiodon didn't work since I wouldn't use either Bastiodon nor Def Golurk without SR. Eelektross is cool since it walls Ground-types like Golurk, Piloswine, and Golem and can take them down with Giga Drain. I had difficulty figuring out what I wanted to use on my last slot, but ultimately decided to use Super Fang to wear down things faster with hazards and force some Pokemon heal while I phaze them (Musharna) so they don't interrupt my Roar spam by forcing me out. Levitate is the thing that makes this set good as it doesn't have to worry about Spikes, and alongside Alomomola CB Golurk is covered much better than it would with anything else bar Tangela. (Who doesn't wall SubBU Brav or phaze like Eel)

Grumpig @ leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 248 hp, 128 def, 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Substitute
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball

Sub Calm Mind grumpig is what one may call gimmicky, but I have always found it to add useful resistances to my team with its typing and thick fat, and act as a fairly decent pivot against certain key threats like jynx, and charizard. The EVs help buffer weaker and most resisted physical attacks to avoid breaking its substitute and ensures that it survives an escape with Skuntank even if it uses pursuit on the switch, even though the switch-in is usually predictable and workable. (Crunch/pursuit on switch maxes at around 80%). Its niche's over Musharna and Gardevoir come from its incredible ability in thick fat augmenting its bulk combined and its decent speed for a defensive tank. countered by steel types and skuntank, and it can't take physical hits that it doesn't resist all too well, but deal with these well enough and you should have no problem utilizing it well

Last edited:

Golurk @ Life Orb
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 4 HP, 252 ATK, 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
-Dynamic Punch
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Rock Polish

Rock Polish Golurk is INSANE! I've been using this set on one of my NU teams and it wrecks unprepared teams. If you can get a safe switch in on a predicted Electric, Normal, or Fighting move, then you can let this beast of an attacker loose on the other team. I would definitely give this set a try!

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
I approve of Rock Polish Golurk, it can really surprise teams and makes golurk even scarier than it already is! Though make sure priority and skuntanks are gone. Anyways, might as well share this awesome non-gimmicky set.

Yanma Life Orb (not that it needs all that power)
Speed Boost (not that it needs all that speed)
252+ SpA (I know, it really isn't fair to have that much investment, its so strong already)
252 Speed (To outspeed non positive nature leavanny that would hit hard with x-scissor or leaf blade)
Protect (to get speed boosts for +speed leavanny so i don't take x-scissor or leaf blade damage)
Bug buzz (because we all hate buzzing bugs)
Air Slash ( just imange the physics of this move, it really shouldn't hurt... unless yanma uses it)
Giga Drain (alomomola seismetoad and golem aint got nothin)

So yea. Yanma's a boss. Please use it (or don't if you want to be fair).

@Sitrus Berry
Harvest
Adamant/Jolly
252 HP, 252Atk, 4Spd
~Wood Hammer
~Zen Headbutt
~Swords Dance
~Substitute

Physguttor surprise! Your opponent fearing a Sleep Powder, or a powerful Leaf Storm? Set up a Sub in their face and start unleashing powerful physical hits. SitrusHarvest works wonderfully, restoring HP lost from both Sub and Wood Hammer. Best used with paralysis support, where Exeggutor can stall for a long time with SubSitrus till the opponent switches or gets fully paralyzed. Swords Dance can be replaced with Sleep Powder if you'd really like the safety net, but I find Exeggutor is really fond of the potential power boost.

Mantine @ Red Card
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Surf
- Air Slash
- Ice Beam
- Toxic

This guy is a troll. Surf/Air Slash/Ice Beam for nice coverage to hit everything that isn't some weird typing with at least neutral damage, Toxic to screw over things hoping to stall it out. The basic turning point with this thing is the Red Card. Why? Well, why not? Red Card is a great item for anything hoping to hit Mantine hard. It automatically gets switched out, and Mantine is bulky enough to survive a hit. Then, you're free against something that most likely can't kill, and will either force a switch, or score an easy kill. Overall, it's a fun set to run, and an even more fun pokemon to run it on (coughcoughmantineop).

I dig the Grumpig set. Overall, I like Gardevoir more as a Sub Calm Mind Pokemon, but if the resistances thanks to Thick Fat are needed, it can work better than Gardevoir on certain teams. The main thing I would recommend for that set would be to run Signal Beam over Shadow Ball so that you can hit Dark-types without losing coverage against Psychic-types.

I've never been a fan of Rock Polish Golurk. The problem I've always had with it has been its power. While Golurk is definitely a good Pokemon that can hit hard, usually Pokemon that boost their Speed alone aren't that great in NU because of the prominence of physical walls such as Alomomola, Tangela, and Misdreavus, among others, that serve as full stops to anything that focuses on its Speed alone. This is a very big part of why dedicated Trick Room teams usually don't fare too well in NU either. It's also why Pokemon such as Shell Smash Carracosta, SubSalac Scolipede, Dragon Dance Fraxure, etc. are all really good setup sweepers and late-game cleaners in NU. Pokemon such as Scarf Jynx, Scarf Braviary, Swellow, and more that are both fast ans really strong are also good because they don't need to set up in order to clean. They can just come out guns blazing and finish up weakened teams really well. As for the Golurk set itself, I don't care for RP Golurk for all of the above reasons and because you're outsped by Scarf Jynx even after a boost while Kangaskhan can Fake Out + Sucker Punch. However, if you're going to run Rock Polish, you should really run a Life Orb set with Earthquake, Shadow Punch, and Ice Punch and Iron Fist as the ability. Like I said earlier, a late-game cleaner needs as much power as possible, and DynamicPunch doesn't really focus on KOing as much as disrupting, while non-STAB Stone Edge isn't all that strong. You also get completely walled by Misdreavus without Shadow Punch, and having coverage against it is really important.

The only real issue I have with the Exeggutor set is that it's walled by mostly the same stuff that Specs is, only to a slightly wider extent. For example, Specs Leaf Storm 2HKOs Skuntank, 3HKOs Metang, etc. which this set can't really claim to do. It's not that great of a lure either because you have to set up Swords Dance before you can hit really hard. But the set doesn't look too bad. It's probably really nice against more defensive teams that might struggle to break its Sub because it can get a lot of opportunities to set up. However, if you're looking for a general hole-puncher, Specs Exeggutor does that a lot more efficiently because of the immense immediate power.

As for Mantine, you posed the question, "...Red Card. Why? Well, why not?" but I actually AM asking myself why I would want to run that set lol. Red Card is a cool last resort against troublesome setup sweepers and Charizard if you have Stealth Rock up, so it's not like it's totally unviable. But it doesn't seem to accomplish much more than a set with Leftovers would, and it gets no recovery to compensate for Stealth Rock.

Not too bad of sets guys. I encourage you all to keep posting, but make sure to include why you would use your set over a standard one. This includes standard sets for other Pokemon; if your set does something that another Pokemon seems to do better, be sure to tell us what makes yours different/better!

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Golurk @ Colbur Berry
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Shadow Punch
- Stealth Rock
- Ice Punch

Lure in Skunk / Liepard, and while they expect to OHKO you, Colbur Berry lets you live a hit and you get to OHKO them back. Really nice because you no longer need to play mind games against Skuntank and you no longer get OHKOed by Foul Play so you can, say, finish off the opponent's Mandibuzz or just obliterate that annoying SwagPard. This set isn't very uncommon, idk if it should be considered a gimmick but it does beat unsuspecting Dark-types much easier than the standard Golurk set. It could also help a lot for teams that dislike Taunt users or Dark-types (eg. To clear the way for CM Gardevoir) because Golurk can beat the most common ones in Skunk and Liepard, lure in and kill a slightly weakened Mandibuzz, and the only Dark-type it can't beat is Shiftry (and it might actually even choose to use Dark Pulse over Leaf Storm on Golurk so who knows, it might sill work on Shiftry!)

Colbur Golurk is fanastic. I've got it on a team with two Psychic-types where I really needed a way to lure in and beat Skuntank as early as possible in order to clean up with my Psychic-types later on. The same team has Alomomola as a last resort if Golurk doesn't pull through, and Alomomola's Wishes make up for Golurk's lack of Leftovers recovery. Really good example of what I'm looking for. :afrostar:

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor

Camerupt @ Expert Belt / Life Orb
Trait: Solid Rock
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Rock Polish
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

The idea of this set is pretty simple really. Camerupt has good coverage and decent defenses, and it forces out quite a few Pokemon. This is when it uses Rock Polish -- Rock Polish boosts Camerupt's speed up to 258 (if I can do my maths correctly, which given this is x2 I hope I can!!) which is quite fast for NU. It is still outsped by the faster Pokemon but Camerupt is still pretty good at grabbing a few kills a game. Sometimes Camerupt can actually get 2 Rock Polishes up though; often People will switch to something like Miltank to tank a Fire-Type attack and then realize they can't do much. This set is pretty high-risk-high-reward, I will admit that, but aren't all gimmicks like that? It needs quite a bit of support from teammates, particularly things such as Ninjask or Memento/Healing Wish support but once it gets going it is difficult to stop.

As for Mantine, you posed the question, "...Red Card. Why? Well, why not?" but I actually AM asking myself why I would want to run that set lol. Red Card is a cool last resort against troublesome setup sweepers and Charizard if you have Stealth Rock up, so it's not like it's totally unviable. But it doesn't seem to accomplish much more than a set with Leftovers would, and it gets no recovery to compensate for Stealth Rock.
I know Leftovers is great, but I hope you know I'm running Water Absorb for a reason. Swift Swim wouldn't do anything unless I felt it necessary to slam Rain Dance on 4/5 of my pokes just so mantine could get a boost. I know water isn't exactly the most common type in NU, but most of the time, they don't predict Water Absorb on Mantine, and I get 1/2 switch-ins without losing virtually any health. Most of the time, Mantine either lives for a while, or not long enough, so Leftovers doesn't really do it for me. I run this specific mantine set, because it works for my team. I don't have any phazing outside of said red card on my team, so I figure that this set doesn't always work, but it would work better than a stall set or on boosted by rain dance, on my team.

The Leprechaun

wear nike not fila
Ok I didn't come up with either of the following sets but I've seen them and thought they were pretty cool

Sawk @ Fist Plate
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd
Jolly/ Adamant Nature
-Close Combat
-Earthquake
-Ice Punch
-Fling

Lure in psychics+ghosts by clicking CC then chuck shit at them with fling. Assuming hazards aren't up you will always live a psychic as well which is tasty. Does about 50% to mushy so can be really great to prevent a weakened one trying to get off a moonlight.

Charizard @ Power Herb
Trait: Blaze
EVs: 252 Spa/ 252 Spd
Timid Nature
-Fire Blast
-Solarbeam
-filler
-filler

Similar to the last set. Bluff scarf, lure in water types, push their shit in. I tried to set up a shell smash with costs against this thing. It didn't end well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)