Graveler (NU Analysis)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus

http://www.smogon.com/rs/pokemon/graveler

[Overview]

Graveler is one of many Rock-types in the tier, but it separates itself from the pack by getting STAB on Earthquake, carrying Explosion in its back pocket, and being immediately stronger and physically bulkier than Pupitar. What's more, it has a great base 95 Attack stat which is made even better when backed by a Choice Band, and Graveler makes a good check to the multitude of Normal- and Flying-types of the tier. However, Graveler needs to be very wary of Hidden Power Grass that's often carried on sets specifically to take it, Relicanth, and Whiscash out in one move. It's also extremely slow, and despite its advantages, it faces stiff competition from Sudowoodo and Relicanth for the Rock-type team slot as they are much more flexible in their movesets, sport better defensive stats and typings that make them less susceptible to their foe's coverage moves, and provide all-around better team synergy than Graveler.

[SET]
name: Choice Band
move 1: Rock Slide
move 2: Earthquake
move 3: Double-Edge / Explosion
move 4: Hidden Power Bug / Explosion
item: Choice Band
ability: Rock Head
nature: Adamant
evs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

This set is the best way to take advantage of Graveler's good bulk and great Attack stat. Rock Slide + Earthquake is amazing STAB coverage in the tier, and they're the main moves that are going to be used most of the time; just be wary of using Earthquake and giving the opponent a free switch to Pelipper, Chimecho, Haunter, or other Ground-immune Pokemon. Double-Edge is a great safety move that doesn't have any recoil thanks to Rock Head and should be used when you're not sure what the opponent will do and has an option for both Earthquake and Rock Slide. Explosion is a good replacement and a great tool to take out the opponent's Water-type or threatening Pokemon like Hitmonchan that Graveler tends to lure in. Hidden Power Bug removes Chimecho and Grass-types from the equation and even 2HKOes defensive Tangela after a layer of Spikes. However, Explosion is also an option here in the last slot to be used alongside Double-Edge if Hidden Power Bug isn't needed, and Explosion is a great tool to take out Tangela and other Grass-types too.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

44 Speed EVs are used to outpace minimum Speed Kecleon, with the rest pumped into HP and Attack to increase overall bulk and damage output. The Speed EVs can be easily dropped and placed into HP to max out bulk, since outpacing Kecleon isn't that important most of the time, although by doing so you will also typically outrun Sudowoodo, so it really just depends on how you feel about it. Leftovers is an option over Choice Band that increases Graveler's longevity and allows it to switch moves. This is particularly useful when Graveler is being used as the team's primary check to Flying- and Normal-types, which will be running coverage specifically for Graveler and other Rock-types.

Toxic is an option on this set, more so with Leftovers than Choice Band, to cripple the bulky Water-types that are likely to switch into Graveler. Toxic is also a good safety move in general, as Poison-types are highly unlikely to switch into Graveler. Graveler should only be chosen over other Rock-types for a team to make use of its secondary Ground typing, which brings an Electric immunity and a powerful STAB Earthquake to the table over the likes of Relicanth and Sudowoodo. Therefore, teammates that are weak to Electric, such as Pidgeot and Huntail, are ideal and both appreciate Graveler's ability to blow through sturdy checks like Mawile and Kecleon.

Graveler is exceptionally weak to Grass-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks, being OHKOed by most of them, so unless you can time Explosion well to eliminate these threats as they come in, good defensive teammates are needed so that Graveler can switch out safely. Specially defensive Flareon, Venomoth, and Murkrow are good teammates to switch into Grass-type attacks, while Grass-types like Roselia and Electric-types like Plusle are a good option to remove Water-type attackers. Finally, Hitmonchan can switch into Rock Slide rather easily and KO Graveler in return with Sky Uppercut, making Pokemon like Haunter, Chimecho, and Flying-types valuable teammates as well.

[Other Options]

A defensive set is certainly viable, as Graveler packs the typing and bulk to check Normal-, Flying-, and Poison-types throughout a game. However, a full defensive set is almost entirely outclassed by Relicanth due to its higher bulk and slightly better typing. A SubPunch set is powerful, but less useful on Graveler than on Sudowoodo due to Graveler getting STAB on Earthquake. As for individual moves, Counter can be a nice tool to use, but most of its targets are going to be hit harder by Rock Slide or Earthquake. Finally, Rock Tomb can allow a teammate to initiate a sweep against a target like Vigoroth, but most times the higher damage output from Rock Slide is just going to be more useful, and the only major target that Graveler is going to outspeed itself after using Rock Tomb is Dewgong.

[Checks and Counters]

The best initial check to Graveler is any Water-type with decent physical bulk; examples include Wailord, Whiscash, and Kingler. The Graveler user won't typically Explode immediately, so they will usually have a safe first switch in and can easily OHKO with any Water move. Defensive Tangela is probably the best overall counter to Graveler, and it really only fears Explosion, since it can shrug off Hidden Power Bug from full health, and if Graveler uses Hidden Power Bug that just opens up an easy switch-in opportunity for a large portion of the tier. Hitmonchan resists Rock Slide and can KO Graveler with Sky Uppercut, but it can't risk switching into Earthquake.

Relicanth and other Rock-types can switch into Rock Slide and particularly Explosion easily enough, but they must be very wary of Earthquake. If Graveler is locked into Earthquake, then Chimecho, Haunter, Pelipper, and a whole mess of other Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can switch in for free. Choice Band Diglett can trap and OHKO Graveler with Earthquake after a layer of Spikes but cannot switch into it at all. Finally, there are a lot of Pokemon that can easily fit Hidden Power Grass onto their moveset to eliminate Graveler specifically, such as Murkrow and Plusle, and even weak ones from the likes of Pidgeot will do a massive amount of damage to Graveler.

Last edited:
add
remove
comments
[Overview]

Graveler is one of many Rock-types in the tier, but it separates itself from the pack by getting STAB on Earthquake, carrying Explosion in its back pocket, and being immediately stronger and physically bulkier than Pupitar. What's more, it has a great base 95 Attack stat that really hurts when backed by a Choice Band, and Graveler makes a great check to the multitude of Normal- and Flying-types of the tier. However, Graveler needs to be very wary of Hidden Power Grass from Pokemon such as Relicanth and Whiscash that's often found on sets specifically to take it it, Relicanth, and Whiscash out in one move. It's also extremely slow, and despite its advantages, it faces stiff competition from Sudowoodo, Relicanth, and Pupitar for the Rock-type team slot.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

This set is the best way to take advantage of Graveler's good bulk and great Attack stat. QuakeSlide is amazing STAB (not relevant ) coverage in the tier, and they're the main moves that are going to be used most of the time, time; just be wary of using Earthquake and giving the opponent a free switch to Pelipper, Chimecho, Haunter, or other immune Ground-immune Pokemon. Double-Edge is a great safety move that doesn't have any recoil thanks to Rock Head and should be used when you're not sure what the opponent will do and has an option for both Earthquake and Rock Slide. Explosion is a good replacement and a great tool to take out the opponent's Water-type or threatening Pokemon like Hitmonchan that Graveler tends to lure in. Hidden Power Bug removes Grass-types from the equation and even 2HKOes defensive Tangela after a layer of Spikes. However, Explosion is also an option here in the last slot to be used alongside Double-Edge if Hidden Power Bug isn't needed, and Explosion is also a great tool to take out Tangela and other Grass-types too.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

44 Speed EVs are used to outpace minimum Speed Kecleon Kecleon, with the rest pumped into HP and Attack to increase overall bulk and damage output. The Speed EVs can be easily dropped and placed into HP to max out bulk bulk, since outpacing Kecleon isn't that important most of the time, although by doing so you will also typically outrun Sudowoodo, so it really just depends on how you feel about it. Leftovers is an option over Choice Band which that increases Graveler's longevity and allows it to switch moves. This is particularly useful when it is being used as the team's primary check to Flying- and Normal-types Normal-types, which will be running coverage specifically for Graveler and other Rock-types.

Toxic is an option on this set, more so with Leftovers than Choice Band, to cripple the bulky Water-types that are likely to switch into Graveler. Toxic is also a good safety move in general general, as Poison-types are highly unlikely to switch into Graveler. Graveler should be chosen over other Rock-types for a team to make use of its secondary Ground typing, which brings an Electric immunity and a powerful STAB Earthquake to the table over the likes of Relicanth and Sudowoodo. Therefore, teammates that are weak to Electric, such as Pidgeot and Huntail, are ideal and both appreciate Graveler's ability to blow through sturdy checks like Mawile and Kecleon.

Graveler is exceptionally weak to Grass-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks, being OHKOed by most, most of them, so unless you can time Explosion well to eliminate these threats as they come in, good defensive teammates are needed so that Graveler can switch out safely. Specially defensive Flareon, Venomoth, and Murkrow are good teammates to switch into Grass-type attacks, while Grass-types like Roselia and Electric-types like Plusle are a good option to remove Water-type attackers. Finally, Hitmonchan can switch into Rock Slide rather easily and KO Graveler in return with Sky Uppercut, making Pokemon like Haunter, Chimecho, and Flying-types valuable teammates as well.

[Other Options]

A defensive set is certainly viable viable, as Graveler packs the typing and bulk to check Normal-, Flying-, and Poison-types throughout a game. However, a full defensive set is mostly outclassed by Relicanth due to its higher bulk and slightly better typing. A SubPunch set is powerful, but less useful on Graveler than on Sudowoodo due to Graveler getting STAB on Earthquake. As for individual moves, Counter can be a nice tool to use, but most of its targets are going to be hit harder by Rock Slide or Earthquake. Finally, Rock Tomb can allow a teammate to initiate a sweep against a target like Vigoroth, but most times the higher damage output from Rock Slide is just going to be more useful, and the only major target that Graveler is going outspeed itself is Dewgong.

[Checks and Counters]

The best initial check to Graveler is any Water-type with decent physical bulk, examples including Wailord, Whiscash, and Kingler. The Graveler user won't typically Explode use Explosion immediately, so they will usually have a safe first switch in and can easily OHKO with any Water move. Defensive Tangela is probably the best overall counter to Graveler, and it really only fears Explosion Explosion, since it can shrug off Hidden Power Bug from full health, and if Graveler uses Hidden Power Bug that just opens up an easy switch-in opportunity for a large portion of the tier. Hitmonchan resists Rock Slide and can KO Graveler with Sky Uppercut, but it can't risk switching into Earthquake.

Relicanth and other Rock-types can switch into Rock Slide and particularly Explosion easily enough, but they must be very wary of Earthquake. If Graveler is locked into Earthquake, then Chimecho, Haunter, Pelipper, and a whole mess of other Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can switch in for free. Choice Band Diglett can trap and OHKO Graveler with Earthquake after a layer of Spikes but cannot switch in into it at all. Finally, there are a lot of Pokemon that can easily fit Hidden Power Grass onto their moveset to eliminate Graveler specifically, such as Murkrow and Plusle, and even weak ones from the likes of Pidgeot will do a massive amount of damage to Graveler.

1/2

Oglemi

Borf
is a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
implemented, thanks Haund. The first change isn't correct but that is probably due to my wording. I meant that some Pokemon will usually carry Hidden Power Grass with the sole purpose of hitting Graveler, Relicanth, and Whiscash in one move, Murkrow and Pidgeot most prominently. Anyway you want me to reword that to make it more clear?

also tagging Bughouse Hogg Heysup Shuckleking87 for input

implemented, thanks Haund. The first change isn't correct but that is probably due to my wording. I meant that some Pokemon will usually carry Hidden Power Grass with the sole purpose of hitting Graveler, Relicanth, and Whiscash in one move, Murkrow and Pidgeot most prominently. Anyway you want me to reword that to make it more clear?

also tagging Bughouse Hogg Heysup Shuckleking87 for input
oh, yea i thought relicanth and whiscash could run hp grass to hit graveler. seemed a bit weird indeed but i know nothing past bw so i assumed it could be possible, plus murkrow and pidgeot are mentioned only later so i didnt connect the dots at first. now that you made me notice the sentence makes sense but i'd probably reword it slightly, but i dont have a strong opinion about it really

I usually use Graveler as bulky w/ lefties and sometimes toxic/protect but i guess it's just pretty inferior to steel-types as a wall anyway since all fire-types run HP grass in this meta.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
don't think I've ever used graveler because I would generally find it inferior to relicanth, since it has such terrible bulk backed up by pathetic base 35 speed. personally I would have written this way more negatively. that said... nothing you've said is factually wrong, per se.

Oglemi

Borf
don't think I've ever used graveler because I would generally find it inferior to relicanth, since it has such terrible bulk backed up by pathetic base 35 speed. personally I would have written this way more negatively. that said... nothing you've said is factually wrong, per se.
Ya I wrote this a couple years ago when Graveler was still used and Relicanth wasn't quite as popular (Graveler used to be above Relicanth on the VR ranking...). I can go through and tone it down a little but Graveler is still a capable CBer, it's just not as good now that the meta has shifted

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Its only real advantage is stab slidequake + boom together, meaning it has the best damage output (even ignoring its slightly higher attack stat).

Otherwise you're most likely better off with Relicanth, Piloswine, or maybe even Sudowoodo (no 4x weakness to easily abuse) or Lairon as a CBer.

Maybe if rock polish existed this mon could be good :(

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]

Graveler is one of many Rock-types in the tier, but it separates itself from the pack by getting STAB on Earthquake, carrying Explosion in its back pocket, and being immediately stronger and physically bulkier than Pupitar. What's more, it has a great base 95 Attack stat that really hurts makes its moves really hurt when backed by a Choice Band, and Graveler makes a great check to the multitude of Normal- and Flying-types of the tier. However, Graveler needs to be very wary of Hidden Power Grass that's often carried on sets specifically made to take it, Relicanth, and Whiscash out in one move. It's also extremely slow, and despite its advantages, it faces stiff competition from Sudowoodo, Relicanth, and Pupitar for the Rock-type team slot. But what makes them better? Or is that not pertinent

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

This set is the best way to take advantage of Graveler's good bulk and great Attack stat. Rock Slide + Earthquake is amazing STAB coverage in the tier, and they're the main moves that are going to be used most of the time; just be wary of using Earthquake and giving the opponent a free switch to Pelipper, Chimecho, Haunter, or other Ground-immune Pokemon. Double-Edge is a great safety move that doesn't have any recoil thanks to Rock Head and should be used when you're not sure what the opponent will do and has an option for both Earthquake and Rock Slide. Explosion is a good replacement and a great tool to take out the opponent's Water-type or threatening Pokemon like Hitmonchan that Graveler tends to lure in. Hidden Power Bug removes Chimecho and Grass-types from the equation and even 2HKOes defensive Tangela after a layer of Spikes. However, Explosion is also an option here in the last slot to be used alongside Double-Edge if Hidden Power Bug isn't needed, and Explosion is also a great tool to take out Tangela and other Grass-types too.

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

44 Speed EVs are used to outpace minimum Speed Kecleon, with the rest pumped into HP and Attack to increase overall bulk and damage output. The Speed EVs can be easily dropped and placed into HP to max out bulk, since outpacing Kecleon isn't that important most of the time, although by doing so you will also typically outrun Sudowoodo, so it really just depends on how you feel about it. thx freud :) Leftovers is an option over Choice Band that increases Graveler's longevity and allows it to switch moves. This is particularly useful when Graveler is being used as the team's primary check to Flying- and Normal-types, which will be running coverage specifically for Graveler and other Rock-types.

Toxic is an option on this set, more so with Leftovers than Choice Band, to cripple the bulky Water-types that are likely to switch into Graveler. Toxic is also a good safety move in general, as Poison-types are highly unlikely to switch into Graveler. Graveler should be chosen over other Rock-types for a team to make use of its secondary Ground typing, which brings an Electric immunity and a powerful STAB Earthquake to the table over the likes of Relicanth and Sudowoodo. Therefore, teammates that are weak to Electric, such as Pidgeot and Huntail, are ideal and both appreciate Graveler's ability to blow through sturdy checks like Mawile and Kecleon.

Graveler is exceptionally weak to Grass-, Water-, and Ice-type attacks, being OHKOed by most of them, so unless you can time Explosion well to eliminate these threats as they come in, good defensive teammates are needed so that Graveler can switch out safely. Specially defensive Flareon, Venomoth, and Murkrow are good teammates to switch into Grass-type attacks, while Grass-types like Roselia and Electric-types like Plusle are a good option to remove Water-type attackers. Finally, Hitmonchan can switch into Rock Slide rather easily and KO Graveler in return with Sky Uppercut, making Pokemon like Haunter, Chimecho, and Flying-types valuable teammates as well.

[Other Options]

A defensive set is certainly viable, as Graveler packs the typing and bulk to check Normal-, Flying-, and Poison-types throughout a game. However, a full defensive set is mostly outclassed by Relicanth due to its higher bulk and slightly better typing. A SubPunch set is powerful, but less useful on Graveler than on Sudowoodo due to Graveler getting STAB on Earthquake. As for individual moves, Counter can be a nice tool to use, but most of its targets are going to be hit harder by Rock Slide or Earthquake. Finally, Rock Tomb can allow a teammate to initiate a sweep against a target like Vigoroth, but most times the higher damage output from Rock Slide is just going to be more useful, and the only major target that Graveler is going to outspeed itself after using Rock Tomb is Dewgong.

[Checks and Counters]

The best initial check to Graveler is any Water-type with decent physical bulk; (SC) examples including include Wailord, Whiscash, and Kingler. The Graveler user won't typically Explode immediately, so they will usually have a safe first switch in and can easily OHKO with any Water move. Defensive Tangela is probably the best overall counter to Graveler, and it really only fears Explosion, since it can shrug off Hidden Power Bug from full health, and if Graveler uses Hidden Power Bug that just opens up an easy switch-in opportunity for a large portion of the tier. Hitmonchan resists Rock Slide and can KO Graveler with Sky Uppercut, but it can't risk switching into Earthquake.

Relicanth and other Rock-types can switch into Rock Slide and particularly Explosion easily enough, but they must be very wary of Earthquake. If Graveler is locked into Earthquake, then Chimecho, Haunter, Pelipper, and a whole mess of other Flying-types and Pokemon with Levitate can switch in for free. Choice Band Diglett can trap and OHKO Graveler with Earthquake after a layer of Spikes but cannot switch into it at all. Finally, there are a lot of Pokemon that can easily fit Hidden Power Grass onto their moveset to eliminate Graveler specifically, such as Murkrow and Plusle, and even weak ones from the likes of Pidgeot will do a massive amount of damage to Graveler.

2/2

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)