Gen 2 [GSC UU] The Ultimate Show

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader

As anyone in the UU community knows, I'm a weirdo who loves GSC UU unlike most people as the bulkier nature of the tier and generation, alongside the more long term methods that progress is made is particularly attractive to someone like me who prefers more fatter Balance playstyles in later gens.

This UUPL i got the chance to play in the GSC slot for the Battlegirls and had an absolute blast doing so, and was pretty happy with my overall 3-3 record as a newcomer to the pool. (Thanks a lot to r0ady for drafting me <3) I wanted to share my favourite team that I built during this UUPL that I used in week 4 vs the Heaheabeach Surfers, which really showcases how nasty Rest Gyarados and Rest Talk Mr.Mime can be.

Teambuilding Process

:mr-mime: :gyarados:

Going into this week, I knew that Highways was a big Jumpluff spammer, making options like Scyther and Curse Granbull much harder to pull off versus him. I wanted to take advantage of this with the great core of Rest Talk Mr.Mime and Gyarados. Rest Talk Mr. Mime is a terrifying set that can tend to get overlooked in building fairly often and has a great versus a lot of non Hypno/Chansey teams, being a nasty offensive threat that can much more consistently check Pokemon like Slowbro and Nidoqueen thanks to the Recovery. Rest Gyarados here seemed like a fantastic option to break through his Jumpluff teams, applying constant pressure while being extremely difficult to remove long term, and happily switching into Pokemon like Jumpluff without fearing status.

:mr-mime: :gyarados: :granbull:

I really wanted to fit Cleric support with Rest Gyarados on this team. While Rest Gyarados is fine without it, being able to burn off Sleep turns on stuff like Hypno and Slowtwins, this can make threats like SD Scyther more daunting when your Sleep counter is low. Granbull was the obvious Heal Bell user here for me, as I didn't want to take the more stally route with Chansey. Heal Bell is also helpful for Mr. Mime at times too, since it takes off the pressure that pulling bad Sleep Talk rolls versus Pokemon like Nidoqueen can bring when chipped.

:mr-mime: :gyarados: :granbull: :qwilfish:

Spikes are really mandatory for this offensive core to put in strong work, putting more long term pressure on Hypno and Ampharos for them, which are two of the best long term checks to the Mr. Mime + Gyarados pairing.

:mr-mime: :gyarados: :granbull: :qwilfish: :nidoqueen:

Nidoqueen is found on most GSC UU teams for a reason, and here it was especially important as a check to Pokemon like Ampharos and Electabuzz. As a seecondary check to HP Bug Scyther it was also appreciated. Nidoqueen in general just applies really nice offensive pressure against shared checks with Gyarados like Hypno and Slowking here, and especially with Spikes support they are usually able to overwhelm them longer term.

:mr-mime: :gyarados: :granbull: :qwilfish: :omastar: :nidoqueen:

The team really needed a strong Granbull check to round itself out, with Gyarados and Nidoqueen giving it too many chances to set up. Omastar was a really nice fit here, also providing additional support versus threats like Dodrio and Scyther. What made Omastar really fit nicely here, however, was Thief, being able to steal Leftovers from typical switch ins like Hypno and Slowking, making them much more easy to overwhelm.

A Closer Look

francis (Mr. Mime) @ Leftovers
Ability: none
- Psychic
- Thunder
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Rest + Sleep Talk Mr. Mime is a really neat set that lets Mr. Mime take advantage of its solid special bulk and special attack to consistently switch into Psychic-types like Slowbro, while being a solid offensive check to threats like Nidoqueen and Gyarados that can switch in fairly often unlike other sets thanks to recovery. It's in general a dangerous threat to non Hypno/Chansey teams, and a set I really made sure to respect in every build after week 3 of UUPL when having to rely on a non Rest Mr. Mime and Granbull to deal with it. As a lead its particularly nice here with its good matchup versus leads like Qwilfish, Mr. Mime, Haunter, and Nidoqueen.

i'm not nice (Gyarados) @ Leftovers
IVs: 14 HP / 24 Atk / 26 Def
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rest

Gyarados is a fearsome mixed breaker that can really tear apart a lot of teams over time, especially with Spikes support. Rest Gyarados takes this to the next level, and makes it absolutely astonishing versus stall teams that have zero way of taking it down besides PP stalling it, in particular the popular Shuckle stall that has been used a bunch during this UUPL and UUFPL. Gyarados is a fantastic check to Scyther for Mr. Mime in particular, and provides this team with a switch in to Piloswine as well. Together with Mr. Mime it forms a really potennt offensive core that has solid speed, being able to constantly threaten Pokemon like Nidoqueen, Kabutops, and Victreebel. In other matchups Rest is crucial to ensure that Gyarados isn't being worn down into range of Scyther, and allows it to constantly bombard Pokemon like Hypno while caring much less about Thunder Wave.

underchomp (Granbull) @ Leftovers
- Heal Bell
- Return
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

A less commonly seen set compared to its terrifying wallbreaker sets, Heal Bell Granbull fits perfectly on this team as a way to enable both Gyarados and Omastar with their non Sleep Talk sets. Granbull provides nice defensive utility as a check to Pokemon like Nidoqueen and Hypno in the process, and the ability to pull Heal Bell through Sleep Talk makes it able to more easily offer this support and gives it a solid 66% chance to either come out of sleep or fully heal and resleep on turn 1 of sleep talking, making it even harder to remove.

king croacus (Qwilfish) @ Leftovers
- Spikes
- Sludge Bomb
- Hydro Pump
- Haze

Not much to say about Qwilfish, but its Spikes support is absolutely essential to allowing Mr. Mime, Gyarados, and Nidoqueen to constantly apply heavy pressure throughout a game to defensive cores. While Curse would often be helpful here to allow Qwilfish to beat Blastoise 1v1, Haze is helpful to give extra outs versus boosted threats such as an omniboosted kabutops, and ensures some desperate outs versus Girafarig baton passing into Belly Drum Quagsire, as mentioned in the threatlist below, and my opponent for Week 4 had no Blastoise usage in his scout.

whoa zone (Omastar)
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Thief
- Rest

Omastar is the token Granbull check of the team, as well as helpful check to threats like Dodrio. A Thief set is the star of the show here, crippling typical switch ins like Slowking and Hypno, making them much easier for Gyarados and Nidoqueen to pressure. This can be fairly telegraphed by the lack of leftovers, however, so should be played carefully to ensure you don't end up Thiefing a Qwilfish instead. Rest is important for Omastar to more consistently check Granbull here, and is hellpful versus less common threats like Curse Hypno too as can be seen in the replays, but should not be used too overzealously as Omastar doesn't need to be particularly high HP to check Granbull, and Heal Bell Granbull can potentially be overwhelmed to stop it finding too many Heal Bell opportunities when it matters.

the underwhere (Nidoqueen) (F) @ Leftovers
- Earthquake
- Thunder
- Ice Beam
- Moonlight

Nidoqueen rounds off the team as the all important Electric-check and all purpose wallbreaker, loving the Spikes support and extra pressure Gyarados puts on its checks like Blastoise and Hypno, helping to overwhelm them between each other. Ice Beam was chosen here for three reasons; Opponents Jumpluff usage, Rest Gyarados making Fire Blast for Scyther less important, and the increased chance of freezing an important threat like Slowking or Hypno between Omastar and Nidoqueen to enable Mr. Mime and Gyarados.

Threatlist

In general the team has pretty solid matchups versus most typical structures with room to outplay scary offensive threats. Mr. Mime in particular can offensively check stuff like Gyarados and Nidoqueen fairly long term with Recovery, but there is room for Nidoqueen to become scary if you play overzealously with Gyarados's Rest's and Mr. Mime's HP if it pulls Thunder off of Sleep Talk at a crucial moment when in range of Earthquake.

The major threat to this team is Quagsire Baton Pass teams, as Quagsire will win if it is able to recieve an Agility pass from Girafarig and set up Belly Drum. The main counterplay to this is to simply not allow Quagsire to get into these positions, noting that if it's forced below 50% HP and only gets a +2 Boost from Belly Drum it will be posible to revenge kill. In a worst case scenario where Girafarig gets an Agility off and is prone to cause this scenario, Qwilfish can be aggressively switched in on a predicted Baton Pass to prevent the set up from occuring with the threat of Haze.

Replays

Not a huge number of replays here but Including both my UUPL game and game during UUFPL from the team I am managing.

Estarossa vs Highways - UUPL Week 4
vani vs Lord Thorx - UUFPL Week 5

Shoutouts

Thanks to everyone who's made this year in quarantine tolerable and an enjoyable experience! You all mean a bunch to me and make this community worth all the time I put in into it <3 Sorry if I missed anyone :c

UU Friends: Lilburr Juno avarice Twilight Bandkrook Lyss Hilomilo Stoward martha Adaam Donphantastic TSR laevin 467 11 11p Ramolost solonor24 Accelgor hs Highways pokemonisfun Pak Panther-T Sickist BigFatMantis Cynde A Cake Wearing A Hat Moutemoute vivalospride Kitten Milk bb skarm Freeroamer PinkDragonTamer Askov esche explodingdaisies Wanka DraconicLepus faded love TMM ojr

UUFPL Team: (Lets go and win this! :o): Abyssal Ruins Codename Magnum Mystras Leoxses ausma EB0LA gorex Staxi Skysolo vani 467 11 11p Bandkrook

Reeece: UUPL was great fun and I hope you get to start in next UUPL, your drive and dedication for this tier is amazing :D

Crew Buds: Jho Jordy lydian Estronic TPP Rage Perish Song Decem Yuichi Splash maroon yogi

Everyone else: gum Bag of Trixx cherryb0ng Katy ErPeris Specs Lunala Stareal Eve Pais keppy

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)