Guide to 3-type cores

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'd like to write an article on groups of 3 typings which synergise very well together, offering a basis for cores of specific Pokemon and making teambuilding a lot simpler, since these cores enable you to check threats broadly as opposed to individually thanks to their synergy inherently giving you a solid backbone against most threats.

Obviously I'll talk about Fire/Water/Grass cores and Steel/Fairy/Dragon cores which are by far the 2 most notorious, but I'll also discuss Dark/Psychic/Fighting cores which are less well-known but still have good synergy and tend to pop up a lot of teams becuase of that.

I'll explain for each typing group what each individual typing brings to the 2 others offensively and defensively, and giving a relevent example of a core for each group. I'll also name Pokemon or types which pose a significant threat to these cores (for instance, Dragon types beat FWG cores, Steel types beat SFD cores, etc).

Format :

Type A / Type B / Type C cores

parargaph explaining how type B supports type A
parargaph explaining how type A supports type B

parargaph explaining how type C supports type B
parargaph explaining how type B supports type C

parargaph explaining how type A supports type C
parargaph explaining how type C supports type A

Example of a Type A / Type B / Type C core :

paragraph explaining how the core functions

What threatens these cores :

paragraph listing common threats to the cores and why/how they break them

Last edited:

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
We already have an article in the workshop by Mysteria which is awfully similar to what this sounds like. While you intend to talk about cores involving types and Mysteria is writing about the Pokemon themselves in the cores, I'm not sure if this is different enough to justify its own individual article. Tagging Bummer princessofmusic trc and Valentine for their thoughts.

Right, forgot to reply to this... personally, I think the two articles are different enough to justify having both, so this is a yes from me. @n@;

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just to clarify, I just read Mysteria's article and I was thiking of something a lot more general than that, possibly applicable to lower tiers too. I won't really discuss actual Pokemon, but rather typings as a whole.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just to clarify, I just read Mysteria's article and I was thiking of something a lot more general than that, possibly applicable to lower tiers too. I won't really discuss actual Pokemon, but rather typings as a whole.
Given this definition, I'd say this article could be given a shot, although a more detailed skeleton would seal the deal nicely. Valmanway , any other thoughts?

Albacore

Okay, here's a more detailed skeleton :
Introduction :

Here, I explain that there exist groups of 3 types which are often used as rules of thumb in teambuilding. These groups work by covering the weaknesses of each of the types involved, all the while resisting a good range of types in general. The reason 3 is the perfect number for these cores is becuase 2 types can't cover each over that well, and it's impossible for 4 types to all mutually contribute to each other. Using there cores enables teambuilders to create a solid backbone for their teams without having to worrry too much about specific threats, and then use their remaining 3 slots to fill in the gaps with answers to the specific Pokemon that can break the core. They're also a good way to fill in the rest of a team whne you're not sure what to put in the remaining slots, guaranteeing some kind of defneisve synergy and narrowing down your choices.

Fire / Water / Grass cores

Brief introduction to Fire / Water / Grass cores (their history and significance over the years)

Here, I explain how Water Types help Fire Types with their resistances, as well as the Pokemon they typically do well against

Here, I explain how Fire Types help Grass Types with their resistances, as well as the Pokemon they typically do well against

Here, I explain how Grass Types help Water Types with their resistances, as well as the Pokemon they typically do well against

Here, I show an example of a Fire / Water / Grass core, probably a very recognisable one like Venutran+Slowbro. I explain how the core functions in general, how each Pokemon supports the other.

Then, I explain what threatens these cores, using the core I have as an example to come up with specific Pokemon, and then generalising these specific Pokemon to represent types and attributes. For this core, I'll name Kyurem-B and Offensive Starmie as huge threats, Kyurem-B reperesenting Dragon Types and Starmie representing fast Pokemon with BoltBeam coverage and the ability to hit Fire types super-effectively. Therefore, FWG cores like to be paired up with a Fairy type like Clefable.

Then, I do the same thing for the other 2 groups of typings.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)