Hearthstone [IRC Channel #Skillstone]

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Oh hey so I got legend with Zoo at the last day of season after climbing mostly with Goya shaman.

What it's worth rank floors are nice, I can play shit like control shaman and not feel bad about losing a few games, but I'm still aware that this is the worst meta that hearthstone has been through.

Yes, every meta is the worst meta, but aside from LOE and early WOTOG I think every metagame has gotten worse and worse. We'll see if Ungoro will fix it, I don't have my hopes up, but maybe it's a start in the right direction.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.

I just wanted to gloat over this card pack on the forum as well. Mmmmmmm yes two legendaries in one pack, yes please.

Lavos

Banned deucer.

got this on saturday, played taunt warrior, went 22-8 from rank 3 (yes I play solely on mobile, my computer is old and my phone is new)

un'goro is fun and it seems like aggro decks aren't going to be that good. pirate warrior has already dropped to tier 2, a lot of decks run golakka crawler because it's not terrible as a 2/3 beast for 2 and is auto win vs pirates. face hunter seems worse than midrange. quest rogue is annoying and preys on lack of aggro in early meta but some decks are using dirty rat to destroy its combo. I am disappointed that the quests aren't really seeing play other than the warrior and rogue since they are so easy to complete. the mage quest has potential but only as OTK combo which isn't great when other decks get to their win conditions faster, seems too reliant on chaining freeze and clears. none of the other quests are seeing play because either they take too much effort to complete (paladin, hunter) or they take too much steam out of your deck (shaman) or the reward is shitty and not worth playing the quest in the first place (priest, druid, warlock). rankings so far from my experience:

tier 1 - quest warrior, miracle rogue, quest rogue, midrange hunter
tier 2 - zoolock, ramp druid, quest mage, pirate warrior, elemental shaman, face hunter, dragon priest
tier 3 - aggro druid, handlock, tempo mage, n'zoth paladin, quest shaman, n'zoth priest
tier 4 - everything else

if you still play pirate warrior kys, meta decks are pretty cheap. play zoo if you must

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
And all I got was my first Raza today from Kabal Courier in Highlander Mage. Too bad Coldarra Drake rotated out.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Is this metagame actually worse than the last one? Only difference is that now if the game isn't over by turn 5, the decks that last longer just literally break the game. I almost feel like even fucking Wild Growth is nearly unplayable because even if your opponent isn't smacking your face for ten damage next turn, you have to already be primed to do the same or you just get lol'd by Quest Rogue or Mage by not having just played a two-drop onto the board.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I mean I'm not in love with the metagame, but it's the first time in a long time the ladder meta has improved after an xpax. I'll take the small victory

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Molten Reflection copies Cobalt Guardian. The copy spawning gives the original Divine Shield. Molten Reflection then spawns the copy with Divine Shield.

HailFall

my cancer is sun and my leo is moon
Started playing hs like a week ago. Watched some videos and am feeling pretty confident I can play the game at a basic level. I think some mons skills translate over to games like this, i guess both are turn based strategy. Played up to rank 20 then stopped. I'm gonna try and get all chars to 10 before playing more as I think having some experience with each will help me a lot.

Been having a lot of fun playing rogue. Right now just running a basic deck i found on icy veins. Trying to build up to be able to expand into other decks. Made cold blood and eviscerate because I saw both were common in multiple other decks for rogue so i figured it was good value. Was lucky enough to find a vancleef as well. For now im just sticking to the basic deck though, since I dont really know what im doing with those other cards lol, i dont think building a deck by myself as a new player is a very good idea.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
Played when the game first game out, haven't touched it since before the newest DLC (the jungle one)

Would it be worth getting back into the game when the next expansion comes out? I hear the game is an absolute money pit these days and games are pretty RNG based

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Thought maybe y'alls would like to know how my night went.

Three quests: Overpowered (oh boy 10 8-drops), Hunter + Shaman Mastery quests (50 cards).

Roll arena, no hunter/shaman.
Start 5-0 as Paladin with a decent deck. SUDDENLY PERFECT ROGUE DRAW, PERFECT ROGUE DRAW, lose to Priest thoughtstealing Blood Knight into my Psychotron 5-3 in a matter of minutes.
Roll arena, no hunter/shaman.
Start 0-1 with my Rogue as my opponent draws absolutely fucking godly. Fuck it, let's go to constructed and get my mastery quests done. Hunter first.
Four straight losses.

0-1, lose to aggro Druid with Innervate Fledging shenanigans and a terrible draw on my part. First-shot Windfury of course.
0-2, Idol Growth Blossom draw for my opponent. My Bearshark into double Houndmaster dream is not to be, as I don't have a one-drop and pull three worthless adapts off Razormaw to fail at protecting the Bearshark from green men.
0-3, Rogue with one-drop into Turn 2 Keleseth. Roll T3 Huffer into Keleseth. A recent opponent wants to gloat about how skilled they are at this skill-based game.
0-4, T2 Backstab Coin Edwin. Stabilize, die to on-curve Bonemare.
0-5, Zoo with T1 coin Keleseth into T3 Captain Patches, T4 Saronite, T5 three-drop Malch's Imp Soulfire.
0-6, mash Razakus Priest down to 3 HP in the face of T5 Raza, T6 Dragonfire, T8 Anduin followed up by T9 Kazakus + Greater Healing Potion. Lost with N'Zoth + DK in the bottom six cards of my deck.
0-7, double Unleash mull into another Priest... The fuck? It's AGGRO PRIEST WITH FUCKING VOODOO DOCTOR AND EMERALD REAVER? Oh, I got shit on by Turn 4 Radiant + PWS + double Happy Ghoul and die to Skillmare on curve.
Quest complete with literally zerro wins, 0-7, 11 in a row counting arena horse shit. Maybe Shaman can win a game!

0-8, lose to quest Mage's T6 Nova Doomsayer. I double low-rolled Lightning Storms with Jade Claw equipped. I had a full board and Bloodlust in hand.
0-9, another Idol Growth Blossom opener, into Turn 5 seven 2/6 taunts.
0-10, Coin Growth Blossom opener, Idol Nourish, Aya. Forced to play Aya into a Doomsayer to have any board, BTW this guy is also running Dirty Rat. Really lost to the double Skilling Plague, though.
0-11, Garbage Priest with T6 Dragonfire, T8 Dragonfire into DK Anduin and GHP versus my remaining burn in hand (double Fire Ele + equipped Claw). Lose to Obsidian Skill reduxed 800 times.
0-12, Skill Wyrm on the Coin, take much unncessary damage because Paveling Book's Freezing Potion. Literally impossible not to have T2 Skillologist into Curve Kirin Tor secret, Valet draw. Curve Hallazeal gets Fireballed, obviously. Double Skillands Portal to face after securing board and potentially threatening lethal with Bloodlust.
0-13, Garbagelock with Stonehills. Lose to opponent having double spell power, double Defile in their top half of their deck into Abyssal on curve. Kalimos board gets wiped by literally fucking Dread Infernal. Can't break taunt to stop Doomsayer, DK obviously wins.
Both quests complete with not a single win at Rank 9-10 against clearly amazing players.
17 straight losses. Also, my 8+ drop quest still isn't done.

Remember kids, Hearthstone is a skill-based game.

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
giving my thoughts on some of my favourite cards revealed so far to hopefully incite some discussion.

if there was any doubt that dragon priest would be making a comeback i'm sure it's all but evaporated now. this card is so nuts i don't even know where to begin. it's basically a hellfire (minus the face damage) with a free 3/3 body attached. this card is really great for dragon priest because it's just such an insane anti aggro tool and will help priest win back the board against faster decks that it struggles against of which there are a few right now. i don't normally like to count my chickens before they hatch but i'm going to make the bold claim that this is the most powerful card that will be printed this xpac. this stuff is literal nightmare fuel for aggro decks, the only thing promising about this card is that highlander priest won't be able to just jam it without significant deck modifications.

in no way the strongest card to be release this xpac but definitely an interesting one. it's a ramp card, but since you cant play it until you have 4 mana and it takes 5 turns to destroy you can't really cheat your mana curve with it. instead i think this card is probably best for some sort of 20 mana dream turn (whether or not this will actually happen is largely up for debate since being greedy with this weapon past t10 will probably get it oozed more often than not). but i digress, where this card really shines is with other weapons that can be used to remove this one early which druid doesn't really have apart from medihv but medihv is already a usable card in jade decks because of its ability to combo with ultimate infestation. while maybe not better than kun currently, turn 8 medihv to destroy this weapon with atiesh into a ui on the same turn could potentially be very strong. overall a pretty well designed card, not sure if it will see play but it will be very interesting if it does.

also blingtron in wild lol

another cool card but not necessarily one that i think will see play. don't get me wrong, getaway kodo with a little cherry on top isn't bad but it's in no way worth a deck slot. this card would be nice to get off of secret generation but the odds of that ever being printed for rogue are low since blizz is only printing 3 rogue secrets to begin with. oh well, still a neat card.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
don't mind me just going 0-3 with a priest draft with lich king, two obsidian statues and enough earlygame to get me there

don't mind me just clicking in the general direction of the Confirm button while refocusing the game window, inadvertantly keeping a double nine-drop mulligan + drawing Lich King on Turn 1 into literally constructed Zoo (Flame Imp into Amani, Soulfire my Gastropod PWS play, Dreadlord on curve, dead to Bonemare on curve)
don't mind me just playing mad bomber flame imp into firefly-bumped gastropod, into deathspeaker for my three-drop, into servant of yogg skill sudden genesis (5/4 + 1/1 taunt poison + 2/3 for five mana pretty good skilled) also what are two holy novas :thinking:
don't mind me just losing to the lich king on curve, Unleash Antimagic Shell, oh Frostmourne takes me to 1 but I AM SAVED BY GRAVEDIGGER WHITE EYES DIVINE SPIRIT

LUL JUST KIDDING DIED TO TOPDECK DEATHWING
Remember kids, Hearthstone is a skill-based game.
never forgetti

I guess those were well deserved losses for my quick quest completion and cruising into rank 5 on account of my bad murloc paladin deck winning way too consistently.

Last edited:

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Dungeon Run is the best thing that has happened to this game yo

although I wish the AI was slightly less bad

Last edited:

Pilo

uses walther
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
I got my first 11 wins in arena today with Hunter. All my games went unexpectedly well with very strong tempo plays thanks to my secret package and flanking strike + candleshot which are both such a massive buff to hunters in arena in the common slot. Like seriously, I cannot stress how good 3 pings for 1 mana and a better fire plume phoenix both with a class offering bonus are (i actually managed to draft 1 and 3 copies respectively). There's also wandering monster which while not as overwhelmingly good as the two previously mentioned cards still fared pretty well against what arena had to offer, 3 psychic scream priests in a row for example.

All in all the expansion is fun so far, i've been enjoying constructed, arena, and the new single player dungeon run mode heaps.

Been playing a lot recently, think this is the highest I got. Tempo Rogue seems to still be a dominant force, easily a top 3 deck. Corridor Creeper is stupidly good and Sonya is pretty solid. I don't think the 4 mana guy that draws 2 minions is worth running in tempo though. Razakus Priest also continues to be crazy good. Duskbreaker is nuts, but the dragon package doesn't seem to be good enough to include in raza. The only new card I run in it is Psychic Scream. I think Warlock has pushed Druid out of top 3 decks. Everything from Zoo to full on Rin Control decks are good. Even hybrid builds work. 1 mana 2/1 draw a card is ridiculous and would be played in basically every deck. Voidlord is frustrating as hell to play against, especially with the various ways to pull it out like the legendary weapon, possessed lackey, and master oakheart. Everyone thought Rin was a meme card, but it's actually kinda good and fun to play with

Overall enjoying the meta a ton, one of the first seasons ever that I play more constructed than Arena. Also, dungeon run is the best thing to ever happen to hearthstone.

Tera Melos

Banned deucer.
I plan on getting back into the game tonight with ZERO intention of buying packs or ANY expansions.

How bored/annoyed can/should I expect to be?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)