ORAS LC help for my first lc team?

Hi, I'm new here... I was trying to build in the lc tier but it's my first time. I think I'll not appear as a common stupid noob but I need your help. Here is my team:

Ifrit (Houndour) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
Level: 5
EVs: 196 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Destiny Bond

He's my special sweeper, I started to build from him. His set isn't mixed because I don't know so much about this tier and I thinked that for using the set running pursuit or sucker punch that is suggested in The competitive dex is needed more skill than I have.Actually I don't know if sludge bomb and destiny bond are really good or there is something better...

Alastor (Bronzor) @ Berry Juice
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 196 HP / 68 Def / 16 SpA / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Gyro Ball
- Toxic
- Psyshock

I choosed grinding because of his resistance to rock and fairy moves and his immunity from ground,problematic types for houndour . His weakness to fire is covered by chinchow and houndour. I'm not sure about his set...

Levyathan (Chinchou) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 232 SpA / 52 SpD / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Ice Beam

He is good. He revenge kills a lot of things like houndour and mantyke and he's a precious member of my team. He takes every water attack that can kill my houndour. His two weakness are both covered by koffing and vullaby. I'm not sure about water absorb,actually I think volt absorb is better 'cause of chinchow's 4x resistance to water type moves

Beelzebub (Koffing) (M) @ Eviolite
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 196 HP / 76 Def / 236 SpD
Calm Nature
- Destiny Bond
- Fire Blast
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb

Pretty good,he is a check for mienfoo and his type and his ability give coverage to houndour and chinchow. I'm not sure about pain split

Lilith (Vullaby) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 196 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpD
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Toxic
- Defog

Checks sleep powder users, uses defog and takes knock off easily, other than,she is a good partner for chinchow that has both his weakness covered by vullaby. I think she will check mienfoo as well

Lucyfer (Gastly) (M) @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 116 HP / 156 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Destiny Bond
- Sludge Bomb
- Shadow Ball

He can enter on mienfoo's high jump kick and give some troubles at phantump and other psychic,ghost,fairy and grass types... I think he is a good r-killer

I think I'm a few weak to pawniard but I don't know what to do

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Sup mang. Oh, welcome to Smogon.

Alright, first off, Bronzor is pretty weak and really not doing much for this team. I'm thinking changing Bronzor ---> Ferroseed. Can set hazards, and does a better job of covering Houndour's weaknesses. The set you'd want to run would be:
Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect
It's weaknesses are covered up by the team. Protect is used to scout out for attacks and stall out Leech Seed damage/recovery, allowing it to do its job well.

I get what you're saying about Sucker Punch on Houndour, but its utility is just too much to pass up. Plus, hey, you're never going to learn to use it if you never try it, right? Try:
Houndour @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 36 Atk / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond
Mmmm, you're right, try Water Absorb ---> Volt Absorb on Chinchou. Also, Hidden Power Grass ---> Hidden Power Ground so that you can also hit Magnemite on top of other Volt Absorb Chinchou. Koffing does a great job of checking Mienfoo, but you might want to change Destiny Bond ---> Will-O-Wisp. Presently, you switch in on Mienfoo and then start to attack it, but there's no reason for Mienfoo to switch out. So you run Will-O-Wisp to cripple it if it stays in or cripple something else if it switches out. Vullaby really wants a Flying-type STAB, so maybe changing Toxic ---> Brave Bird would help it be less of a dead weight on the team. On top of that, you may want to try changing Rocky Helmet ---> Eviolite, as it needs the survivability, especially when it's switching in on Stealth Rock and giving the opponent free shots at it. Also, you might want to change Destiny Bond ---> Hidden Power Fighting on Gastly. Your team lacks the ability to really take down Pawniard, and this at least gives you a way to take it down once you have a Substitute up.

Lastly, your EVs are pretty weird on a lot of these Pokemon. EVs in LC have to be done, like, in a strange way that can be confusing to get at first. For more help on that, check out the EV spread section of this thread. Gastly should be running 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe(it should run max Speed and max Special Attack, plus you want as little HP as possible to minimize Life Orb recoil and Substitute damage.), Vullaby should be running EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe, Koffing should run EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 236 SpD, and Chinchou should run EVs: 52 Def / 232 SpA / 224 Spe(better at handling physical attackers, specifically Fletchling) with a Modest nature(really just doesn't deal as much damage as it needs to otherwise).

Good night and good luck

~~LA

Yo speeno, before I get started with this Rate, you should beef up your descriptions to be in line with what the rules say. 3 line should be enough to keep the thread open n_n.

So starting off I really like the look of this team, since Houndour is a really cool Pokemon :). With some tweaks I think this could be really strong!

Starting off with Houndour, I know you want to run a Nasty Plot set, but Houndour should really only be running it's Mixed Set. Basically you'll want to switch Sludge Bomb for Sucker Punch. This allows you to utilize priority to take out faster threats while still packing massive power behind your hits. For your EV spread, 36 Atk / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe with a Hasty Nature maximizes your Speed and Special Attack, and gives you a small increase to your Attack in order to boost Sucker Punch slightly. A Hasty Nature allows you to reach 17 Speed, while lowering your horrendous Defense, which you don't need anyways.

Houndour @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 Atk / 196 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Fire Blast
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Destiny Bond

Bronzor is a very meh Pokemon in LC, and Ferroseed completely outclasses it on your team. Running a move set of Leech Seed / Bullet Seed / Stealth Rock / Protect will allow Ferro to have a good amount of utility for your team. For EVs, 84 HP / 36 Atk / 188 Def / 148 SpD / 36 Spe with a Careful Nature makes Ferroseed extremely bulky, which allows it to continue to perform it's role multiple times throughout the match.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect

Chinchou is a very strong pivot in LC, but I think Choice Scarf is not the best set you can run on it imo. Instead, a Bulky Berry Juice set will be a great change, since it allows you to check some big threats in LC while still maintaining offensive presence. Hydro Pump / Volt Switch / Heal Bell / Hidden Power [Ground] provides both offense and utility for you. 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe with a Bold Nature gives you a large amount of bulk and special attack.

Chinchou @ Berry Juice
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell
- Hidden Power Ground

Koffing's set looks good. The only changes I would recommend you making would be changing the EV spread to 36 HP / 236 Def / 236 SpDef with a Bold Nature. This maximizes Koffing's bulk, while also making Pain Split stronger due to a lower HP stat. Also, switching Destiny Bond with Will-O-Wisp is very good for both Koffing and your team, since it really hampers opposing physical attackers.

Smogon (Koffing) @ Eviolite
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Def / 236 SpD
Bold Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Sludge Bomb
- Fire Blast

Vullaby's set is also very good, and only the EV Spread and Toxic should be changed. 116 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe with an Impish Nature makes Vullaby's overall bulk much better. Changing Toxic for Brave Bird is really up to you, but I personally believe it is necessary for beating Foongus.

Vullaby @ Eviolite
Ability: Overcoat
EVs: 116 HP / 236 Def / 76 SpD / 36 Spe
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Knock Off
- Brave Bird

Finally, you have the right idea for your Gastly. Sub + 3 Attacks is very good. Change Destiny Bond for Hidden Power [Fighting], which allows you to actually deal with Pawniard. Also, the EV spread should be 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe with a Timid Nature. No point in investing in Gastly's rather terrible bulk.

Gastly @ Life Orb
EVs: 200 SpA / 80 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power Fighting
- Substitute

That's it! It's a very good team, and overall I think it will do well on the ladder with these changes. I still see a bit of a weakness to Pawniard, but I think it is possible to play around. Good Luck, and feel free to come by the Little Cup room on Pokemon Showdown!

Edit: NINJA'D BY Lord Alphose GAH

Edit #2: Fixed the Gastly set which had Dazzling Gleam instead of HP Fighting, Thank you Goddess Briyella for pointing that out n_n

Last edited:
Thank you and thanks also for the other one that answered me, smogon community seems very friendly :) I'm not sure about what you mean with the changes in my profile but I hope I did it right, I modified something putting in some personal information and a short description of me.

I think I am really stupid 'cause I didn't think immediately about using ferroseed>bronzor and I will follow your suggestions as soon as I can :)
I didn't understand why gastly has to have evs in spDef instead of in ps but I think that is for minimize life orb damage,am I right?

Thank you and thanks also for the other one that answered me, smogon community seems very friendly :) I'm not sure about what you mean with the changes in my profile but I hope I did it right, I modified something putting in some personal information and a short description of me.

I think I am really stupid 'cause I didn't think immediately about using ferroseed>bronzor and I will follow your suggestions as soon as I can :)
I didn't understand why gastly has to have evs in spDef instead of in ps but I think that is for minimize life orb damage,am I right?
What I meant by improving the descriptions is per the Rules of RMT, you should have at least 3 lines of description for each Pokemon, but that shouldn't be to difficult :). Also on Gastly, his Defense is so bad that there is no real point in investing in it imo.

Goddess Briyella

Banned deucer.
Hi there, speeno!

This is a cool team you've put together here and it looks pretty solid for a player so new to Little Cup. Lord Alphose and HollowRidley have already provided a lot of very good recommendations that will improve your team, but I'd like to suggest another one in addition that I believe is very important. The main thing that can be improved upon with this team (assuming this is after HollowRidley's changes) is the fact that the team's Mienfoo check is easily worn down, and because Mienfoo has so many convenient ways to recover health, this also means that a competent player using Mienfoo will find a way to outlast the rest of the team as well in many cases.

->

Spritzee @ Eviolite
Ability: Aroma Veil
EVs: 212 HP / 196 Def / 12 SpA / 76 SpD / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Aromatherapy
- Wish
- Protect
- Moonblast

I'd like to suggest swapping your Koffing out for Spritzee, which forms a very good stall/resistance core with HollowRidley's Ferroseed. Ferroseed walls the Steel- and Poison-type moves that trouble Spritzee, while Spritzee sponges the Fighting-type attacks aimed at Ferroseed. Not only does it check Mienfoo and other Fighting-types not named Croagunk, but is able to clear the entire team of status conditions as well as sustain good health for itself and the rest of the team with Wish. This is especially helpful for keeping Chinchou in the game to consistently check Fletchling and also to check the Fire-types that threaten the core formed by Spritzee + Ferroseed.

Ferroseed @ Eviolite
Careful Nature
- Leech Seed
- Bullet Seed
- Stealth Rock
- Protect -> Thunder Wave

With the extra recovery that Spritzee provides to the team, Ferroseed can afford to run Thunder Wave over Protect to support its team, especially against offense.

Chinchou @ Berry Juice -> Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 152 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Heal Bell -> Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Ground

This is optional, but Spritzee's Wish recovery makes Chinchou able to afford to forgo Berry Juice for Eviolite. Berry Juice only restores its HP once and misses out on Eviolite's bulk, while Wish recovery lasts as long as Spritzee does if played correctly, and the added bulk is appreciated when Chinchou has to take a strong attack. Chinchou's longevity is very important to this team. :)

Adding Spritzee to the team also makes Chinchou able to drop Heal Bell for Ice Beam, a good move for hitting the Grass-types that wall its STABs, such as Pumpkaboo. Grass-types have been rising in popularity lately and being able to hit them hard in a tight situation can be very helpful.

This concludes my rate! I hope you found my suggestions helpful and I wish you continued luck with your team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)