How to get more players

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I don't know if this deserves its own thread but I hope a lot of experienced players will give their opinion.

We need more players in the Ubers ladder. There.

Seriously, this is not a joke thread or a rant. The older/more experienced players know this already. The leaderboard is filled with just 6-10 guys and their alts. I created an alt 2 days ago and got into top 25. And I think better players get top 10 in 2 days with their alts. What's the issue? Is it the "centralization" thing? IMO, we need to do something about this because I really think Ubers is more difficult to play contrary to what most OU ppl think. Yes, there are probably only 10-12 pokes that you see very often but there are a ton of sets for them too. Gyarados, Vaporeon, Swampert, Blissey, Scizor, Lucario pretty much run only one set, while Dialga could be Specs, Scarf, BU RestTalk, Twave support or Mixed all of them having different ways to counter it. One turn set up could be GG in Ubers while in OU there are reliable pokes to deal with a SD Luke, DD Gyara, DD Tar or CM Cune. Hopefully 5th Gen is gonna bring more Uber pokemon but I don't think that will be the answer. More articles in The Smog, maybe? More Wi-Fi or Smogon Tournaments? I don't know the answer but really a lot of new players get easily discouraged when they face their Psychic Mewtwo against the #5 leaderboard for the third time in a row. More new players will mean more competition at lower levels which will translate into a faster (and more enjoyable) learning curve.

Feel free to comment on this and if the mods think this is not an appropriate thread then you can lock it. I was just trying to make the ladder better.

True. I agree. People think uber players are inexperienced and therefore use powerful pokémon to fight. They think there's no skill and it's just random bashing with only about 12 really used pokémon, actually there's more than that. The uber tier being unbalanced is not a bad thing, it makes battling more challenging. I think there should be a battle me thread just for ubers. You don't know how many times I ask for an uber battle on the threads people just skim over it with the regular "who wants an OU battle". With the new thread set up, more skilful players can go to a thread and get someone to actually read their uber offers and accept them rather than merely skim through. Then players can train(and build up confidence) for the ladders.

bojangles

IF YOU TRULY BELIEVE,
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Right now I'm the only mod on, so I will handle this for now, and when Theorymon and Jibaku get back, they will weigh in on this. I completely agree with the sentiments expressed in the OP. I am one of these "older/more experienced players", whether you were directly referencing me or not, and it is sad how long it takes to get a match. Also, it is sad how people do not take the ladder seriously; I have faced many a team of Magikarp before. We do need to get something rolling to get more people interested. Right now, the other mods and myself are experimenting with the idea of doing weekly, or maybe longer, playtesting to experiment different sets, possibly with the best set getting a write-up and/or other incentives.

However, this is not really the way to handle this. I love reading about how people love this metagame, because I feel the same way, but the issue will not get furthered by it. Because of this, I am locking this thread.

I invite you all to send me a PM saying whether you would be interested in such a "research week," or whether you think something else would work better. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)