OU Hydreigon

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
Hydreigon @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Draco Meteor
- Flash Cannon
- Flamethrower

Hydreigon's newfound access to Nasty Plot combined with its great coverage has turned it into one of OU's deadliest wallbreakers, capable of taking out checks such as Clefable and Mandibuzz with boosted attacks. By pivoting into Pokemon like Toxapex and Hippowdon that can't effectively threaten Hydreigon or are forced out by it, it easily gains chances to set up. Speed control from the likes of Dragapult, Zeraora, and Choice Scarf Jirachi benefits Hydreigon; these Pokemon can clean up after Hydreigon wallbreaks, and Dragapult in particular appreciates Hydreigon removing Clefable as well as other Pokemon such as Incineroar and Snorlax. Faster Pokemon like Zeraora and Terrakion, as well as Conkeldurr, threaten to revenge kill Hydreigon; Hippowdon is a great check to them. Clefable is also a great defensive partner; it provides Wish and Teleport support, keeping Hydreigon healthy and getting it in against Pokemon it threatens such as Rotom-H, Aegislash, and Toxapex.

Last edited:

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
  • I don't think Aegislash is the greatest mention as an offensive partner. What Hydreigon most needs as a wallbreaker is speed control, which can be provided by the likes of Dragapult, Zeraora and Choice Scarf Jirachi. These Pokemon have the ability to clean up after it and as you mentioned Dragapult specifically appreciates Hydreigon taking out or severely weakening Pokemon like Clefable, Mandibuzz, and Incineroar. Hydreigon taking out/weakening Clefable for Dragapult to clean up makes more sense than vice versa (given the set).
  • Hippowdon is a fine defensive partner, but I'd definitely mention Clefable as well. It provides a switch-in to opposing Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon, both of which threaten Hydreigon out, while also having the ability to bring it in safely with Teleport after luring out Pokemon it matches up well against like Aegislash, Rotom-H, and Toxapex. (If this takes too much space, you could leave out Hippowdon providing Stealth Rock support as it's not that significant since the most important damage roll, against Clefable, isn't improved upon.)
  • Teammates that can help out against Primarina are pretty important, but I'm not too upset about leaving this out considering the limited space.
  • I'm not too sure about this, but since it's a spotlight for a specific set wouldn't it be better to leave out Modest vs. Timid and just go with Modest?
Good job, QC 1/1 with this.

Last edited:

Rabia

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator
GP & NU Leader
  • I don't think Aegislash is the greatest mention as an offensive partner. What Hydreigon most needs as a wallbreaker is speed control, which can be provided by the likes of Dragapult, Zeraora and Choice Scarf Jirachi. These Pokemon have the ability to clean up after it and as you mentioned Dragapult specifically appreciates Hydreigon taking out or severely weakening Pokemon like Clefable, Mandibuzz, and Incineroar. Hydreigon taking out/weakening Clefable for Dragapult to clean up makes more sense than vice versa (given the set).
  • Hippowdon is a fine defensive partner, but I'd definitely mention Clefable as well. It provides a switch-in to opposing Dragapult and Choice Scarf Hydreigon, both of which threaten Hydreigon out, while also having the ability to bring it in safely with Teleport after luring out Pokemon it matches up well against like Aegislash, Rotom-H, and Toxapex. (If this takes too much space, you could leave out Hippowdon providing Stealth Rock support as it's not that significant since the most important damage roll, against Clefable, isn't improved upon.)
  • Teammates that can help out against Primarina are pretty important, but I'm not too upset about leaving this out considering the limited space.
  • I'm not too sure about this, but since it's a spotlight for a specific set wouldn't it be better to leave out Modest vs. Timid and just go with Modest?
Good job, QC 1/1 with this.
it's fine to include discourse on nature differences even in spotlights, but I removed that point just to give a more fleshed-out one about Clefable (and it's not too relevant nowadays anyway). this should be good for gp now

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)