I also need a new phone

Hi all, I am in search of a new phone right now (preferably a smartphone). I currently have an LG Neon, and it blows. Here are some of the phones I'm looking at (my budget is around $500-600 tops and I'm interested in unlocked and/or jailbroken phones):

• iPhone 3GS: Now that the iPhone 4 is coming, prices for 3GS is going down. Not only that, but they have access to the iOS4 upgrade.
  • iPhone 4: This thing needs its antenna fixed but damn, it looks sexy. However, not only do I have to wait for this thing to be fixed, but I reckon that it will be very expensive unlocked.
  • Nexus One: Probably the cheapest of the bunch, and its hardware specs doesn't look bad either, either equivalent to or superior to the iPhone 3GS. However, I'm not too familiar with its OS, and I'm worrying that it may not be regularly updated.

Bottomline: Well, iPhone 4 is out the window, so I'm left to decide between the iPhone 3GS and the Nexus One. Personally, I prefer the iPhone 3GS because I would love to sell my current iPod as a result (less gadgets in pocket = good). Also, its applications library is promising and has a much higher capacity. Also, in case if anyone was curious, I'm not really interested in Blackberries, mainly because I'm not very familiar with them and that I haven't heard much about it that would persuade me to choose it over an iPhone or a Nexus One. If there are better suggestions than the ones listed here, please post!

EDIT: I am also willing to wait for future phones that I'd be interested in.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
Oh gosh, I have the LG Neon too, and I wouldn't agree more about how crappy it is. I would suggest the iPhone 3GS, just cause it is, as you said, cheaper if jailbroken/unlocked. However, in doing so, you run the risk of not being able to send it in for any repairs and such. I've heard vague details from some cousins of mine that said you can have factory unlocked iPhones, which don't run that legal risk, and are capable of being supported on other networks, but I don't exactly think that is entirely true. Anyways, iPhone 3GS is probably your best bet to go, especially since you don't have to worry about getting that OS upgrade.

I hope to get my phone changed once my two year contract is up, so that I don't have go crazy if my phone decides to randomly shut off or some other crap that the LG Neon does.

I got the Sony Ericson X10 recently. I highly recommend it. It runs android, and it is ridiculously fast. It almost rivals the iPhone's OS. The apps are good, the camera is excellent and if you want to check Facebook and Twitter regularly, there isn't a better phone to do it on.

There's no reason to choose the iPhone 3GS over the iPhone 4, even including the antenna problem; the iPhone 4 is a big improvement over the 3GS. If you're familiar with iOS and enjoy it, then go for the iPhone 4.

However, if iOS is just alright with you, then definitely check out Android. Get familiar with the operating system before deciding to buy it. I assume you're on one of the bigger Canadian markets, Rogers etc., so you can buy any phone from them, or if you prefer to buy unlocked phones, you can buy any phone made for American AT&T 3G bands (they share the same). If you're on a smaller carrier, I would Google search to find out what 3G frequencies they use; I know a lot of the smaller carriers use AWS, which is shared with T-Mobile USA.

For Android options, there is always the Nexus One, which while not the best Android phone anymore, is certainly no slouch and will get updates from Google before any other phone (it as Android 2.2 right now). Check to see if any Canadian carriers have the HTC Desire, which is an excellent phone, with similar specs to the Nexus One, but does have the HTC Sense UI on top of Android 2.1, so try it out before deciding. The Samsung Galaxy S might be released in Canada already, so see if you can try that phone out as well, I heard it's very good; if not, an AT&T version of the phone will be arriving soon. You may also want to wait for Motorola's new phones coming out, the Droid X and Droid 2. I don't know what the Droid X will be called internationally, but the Droid 2 will be the Milestone 2 internationally. You get a nice physical keyboard there.

Those are my picks. I'm an Android user and am up to date in the phones/OS's/etc. about Android. However, you can't go wrong with the iPhone 4, which is arguably the best smartphone out there.

iPhone 4 is not the best smartphone I would argue, because while it's great (probably the best or near-best) in most of the non-phone aspects, it really dropped the ball on the phone aspects, hardware wise. The OS4, as far as I'm aware, makes the iPhone 3GS almost as good in all the non-phone aspects (with the exception of the camera hardware, because the still photography is pretty shit, I've found) but retains the superior phone capacity. That is, of course, if you can actually get the OS4 to download, which I can't because of all the server flooding they apparently have at the moment.

So it depends what you want it for; if you don't make and take a lot of phone calls than the antenna problem of the iPhone 4 (I've had friends say they can't actually use the phone to call because when they hold it, the antenna dies) is largely irrelevant.

Also, in regards to whether to go iPhone OS or other OS; I've found the basic difference is that while the iPhone Apps are limited only to the Apple store/Apple certified things, they are guaranteed of quality and support by Apple (there are also a lot more of them, but that's because Apple cornered the App market for a good while before the other phones got in on it, so it's probably not going to translate to a huge difference in the long term).

What carrier are you on? What are your needs? What do like to do with your phone?
I use Fido (I am a Canadian user) and I need a phone that's actually good. As in, good reception that doesn't drop calls and there's no delay in communication. I don't know if I worded it right, but when I speak into the receiver, there's a delay between that instance and when the other person hears it. I also like to have a phone that is rich in applications, not only limited to gaming, but also for practical applications (can't think of any specifics, but the more apps I have the merrier).

EDIT: I may be going for the iPhone 4 when it comes out in Canada (hopefully with the antenna fixed) as I am working soon and so I will be increasing my budget. Of course, I would like recommendations for non-Apple phones as well.

EDIT2: I'm liking Motorola Droid X and Sony Ericsson X10 so far, but haven't looked at the prices yet.

I'm a lunatic and a Nokia fanboy and will recommend the upcoming N8. I also recommend ignoring me since I'm crazy.

Best choice is the Nexus One. Google will keep it up to date up to at least Android 3. I don't like it because the camera is bullocks.

Second best is the iPhone 4. The antenna problem isn't as bad as the media would have you believe. Problem is it is costly with its month to month pricing.

I don't think the Droid X will be available to you. The SE X10 seems nice, but wont be getting updates like the N1 will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)