ORAS Doubles OU I hate trick room (ft. Conkeldurr)

Matame

New Rules
Hi guys and welcome to my Doubles RMT, featuring a trick room team I built around Conkeldurr a while back. Im not a huge trick room fan, as implied by the title, so this team was a little outside of my comfort zone. However I found this team to be really solid and quite fun to use, and since my exacerbating boredom got the most of me and i will probably never use this team again I have decided to write a RMT and share this team with y'all. Its far from perfect, however, and I am open to see what changes you have to offer.

Teambuilding process

Started with Conk. A fun mon that can pick up a lot of surprise Ko'es and can work in and out of trick room(although trick room is preferred)

Decided to go down the trick room route and add Hoopa. Im a big fan of Hoopa in and out of trick room. It adds a lot of offensive pressure and its dual stab helps it check many threats that are of harm to trick room, like aegislash and amoonguss.

Added Mega Kang. Fake out is always nice to assist trick room setters and help them set it up. Very brute force and hits hard with its stab attacks.

Added Heatran to add even more offence to this team and also as a way to check amoonguss and steels which kang and conk can have a hard time with.

Went with a more bulky setter in Jellicent as my team already has enough offence to make up for it and hoopa isnt reliable enough on its own.

Finished off with sylveon for spread damage and also a way to check dragons which , although do not give this team a terribly hard time, can be hard to break in some situations.

The Team

Maniac (Conkeldurr) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Protect

Conk is the central point of the team, and for good reason. Iron fist LO Hammer Arms deal hefty damage to about everything unresisted, picking up surprise koes. It also has a nice niche in lowering the speed upon each use, which can make it reach rediciously low speeds in trick room that underspeeds just about everything. Mach punch and knock off were my other moves. Mach punch adds priority which can be clutch in some situations outside of trick room, and knock off was chosen as a way to hit ghosts like aegislash which are immune to Conk's main stab. The thing i dislike about Conk is that it is total intimidate bait, more specifically Lando-T, and can easily get walled this way. Spread is a simple 252 252 spread, to maximise damage output and dump the rest in bulk.

Temporal Spire (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Hole
- Hyperspace Fury
- Protect

Hoopa is my first setter of choice. As previously said, im a big fan of Hoopa. It helps make the most out of the 4 turns trick room is up by adding immense offensive pressure and prevents your opponent from stalling out trick room turns via protect. I wanted to start off with a more offensive setter to keep momentum going instead of slowing it down with setters that lack offensive pressence. Hoopa also has the ability to check Aegi and amoonguss which can give trick room teams a hard time. i went with goggles over sash because i normally prefer goggles just due to it being easier to set up trick room and sweep in the face of an amoonguss. Sash could be a possibility as hoopa is frail and has trouble taking hits from just about anything. Spread is also a simple 252 spread to simplty maximise damage output.

Stay the Night (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch

Trick room Kang is an enjoyable set due to its utility and offensive presence. Fake out is very helpful in helping setters get trick room up in the face of checks like taunt and ways to outright KO the setter. Double Edge can hit most unresisted things for hefty damage., at the cost of recoil. Hammer arm acts as coverage and can find the speed drops nifty. Sucker punch offers priority and a way to hit ghost types. I should probably use a more complex spread for this. E.G. one that survives a secret sword from Keldeo.

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Protect
Eruptran in trick room is a fun set that can tear holes in the opponents team. Heatran serves as a way to check steels, like Jirachi and Aegislash. Eruptrion is Trans spread move and can be a brute force under trick room. Fire blast is a single target move that can help play around wide guard and deal even heavier damage. Earth Power serves as a way to hit opposing Tran which try to switch in to its Fire moves in an attempt to wall it. Goggles is standard and helps it be a more reliable amoonguss check under trick room. Spread is again simple, due to me not really needing to ev myself to survive anything.

Arabella (Jellicent) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Trick Room
I decided to go with a more passive and bulky setter in my 5th slot due to me having leeway to do this with my team already having strong enough offensive and I felt i needed a defensive backbone and a more reliable way to get trick room up. Hydro Pump deals nice damage to threats like Lando and Heatran, and is more reliable than water spout, which ive seen some people use. Will-o-wisp helps it check physical attackers like Kang and deal nifty chip damage to whatever switches into it. Recover helps sustain Jelli so it can set up trick room later. Special Defense lives a Life Orb Dark Pulse from Hydreigon, Shadow Ball from Aegi, Tbolt from offensive Thundurus. The Defense investment survives Ferrothorn's Power Whip and avoids a 2HKO from Lando-T. Thanks EV compendium.

Sylveon Plath (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam
Sylveon was added as another offensive threat to make the most out of trick room turns. Hyper voice is nifty spread damage that can land nice 2hko's on pretty much everything unresisted. It also checks dark types that threaten my setters, and acts as a reliable switch in to them. It also checks Dragons which my team doesn't really have much for. Rest of moves are just filler to add extra coverage. Hyper beam bypasses wide guard and heals hefty damage to just about everything. Again spread is insanely simple . I could ev for kang but i dont have THAT much of a kang problem so i just went for the 252 in HP.

Maniac (Conkeldurr) @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Mach Punch
- Knock Off
- Protect

Temporal Spire (Hoopa-Unbound) @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Magician
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 SpA
Brave Nature
- Trick Room
- Hyperspace Hole
- Hyperspace Fury
- Protect

Stay the Night (Kangaskhan-Mega) @ Kangaskhanite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Brave Nature
- Fake Out
- Double-Edge
- Hammer Arm
- Sucker Punch

Heatran @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Flash Fire
Quiet Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Protect

Arabella (Jellicent) @ Mental Herb
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Trick Room

Sylveon Plath (Sylveon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Pixilate
Quiet Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Hyper Beam

Mishimono: Stop talking yourself down :( your a good player and a great builder :D just use metagross less tbh.
Flame Road: Sry this isnt our pp stall god squad, but you can do that later ;)
CorruptedOmega7: You'll be the next Kylecole, dont worry. Give it a few years.
Stax: Win ssnls faster so i can make it further than r3 this time lel
TheLusterLink: good fren despite ew tastes in music, also pls get into DOU so i can beat your ass
Yoda2798: apparently your cool, i dont see it D: although your memes are top notch.
Hiro97: Are you getting back into dubs or nah
and whoever else i missed out, im tired so you know...
Elise: [18:26:57] Elise♡:thx for the shoutout in ur rmt lana
yw
Paraplegic: Yeah sry i forgot to shout you out since you did kinda help me lol wish we talked more but w/e

DPL match - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-369731343
Only other replay i could find of this team lol forgot what this was for (also this was back when i had cress over hoopa) - http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/doublesou-357208881

Thanks for taking the time to read this rate my team. I hope you can give suggestions on how to make this team more effective so me and other people can make use of it in the future. As i said this team is far from perfect so i am very open to suggestions. Adios

Last edited:

Yoda2798

Not the user you are looking for
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Doubles Leader
THE 252/252 SPREADS HURT MY HEAD FIX PLS
like why I even gave you the better kang spread lol
also I would definitely consider trying out WG conk over protect
nice team though n_n

CorruptedOmega

Banned deucer.
should change title to "not checkroom"

will rate later :^]

I'd second Yoda on specializing your EV spreads and changing Protect to Wide Guard on Conk. I have a few more suggestions tho.

So Hoopa is not quite a reliable Trick Room setter due to its physical frailty. I'd find it more appropriate to give Safety Goggles to Jellicent and give Hoopa Life Orb so it can OHKO Amoonguss and Jirachi. Thus you won't be so weak to Amoonguss/Breloom+Kangaskhan. Even then, Breloom can dent it pretty badly so imo I'd change Jellicent to a different defensive Goggles Trick Room setter, such as Bronzong or Cresselia. Not only does this improve your Amoonguss/Breloom MU but gives you a Ground immunity, something Heatran really appreciates. All of my other suggestions are minor, such as Fire Blast to Flamethrower/Heat Wave on Heatran and EV spreads, so otherwise dank team good memes.

Last edited:

Matame

New Rules
should change title to "not checkroom"

will rate later :^]

I'd second Yoda on specializing your EV spreads and changing Protect to Wide Guard on Conk. I have a few more suggestions tho.

So Hoopa is not quite a reliable Trick Room setter due to its physical frailty. I'd find it more appropriate to give Safety Goggles to Jellicent and give Hoopa Life Orb so it can OHKO Amoonguss and Jirachi. Thus you won't be so weak to Amoonguss/Breloom+Kangaskhan. Even then, Breloom can dent it pretty badly so imo I'd change Jellicent to a different defensive Goggles Trick Room setter, such as Bronzong or Cresselia. Not only does this improve your Amoonguss/Breloom but gives you a Ground immunity, something Heatran really appreciates. All of my other suggestions are minor, such as Fire Blast to Flamethrower/Heat Wave on Heatran and EV spreads, so otherwise dank team good memes.
Zonger sounds sick on this team :O thx for rate

Yellow Paint

working as intended
is a Top Tutoris a Top Team Rateris a Community Leaderis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
B101 Leader
everything but tran has a nick

Also it looks pretty talon weak with both 0 hp hoopa and 0 def sylv and only one nonrock bird resist. Maybe convert to the life orb hoopa with bulk or the 56hp 200def sylv? I don't think double goggles is mandatory.

Sylveon.

Penny saved is still a fucking penny
Hey dude, nice team...TR is a solid choice especially in doubles. Though there are a few issues ::
-First of all safety goggles CM cress> Jelli anyday, It improves your amoongus and breloom matchup, its bulky enough to take 2 hits in one turn and set up TR reliably.
- Now, that you have a safety goggles setter, I think you should remove safety goggles on hoopa and replace it with sash, so that you can atleast set-up TR and believe me, it helps a lot in clutch situations, especially since it just sucks defensively.
- To improve your sun and talonflame match-up, you can replace fire blast by heat wave and eruption by stone-edge on heatran.
- Also, change your sylvi spread to 56hp/200def , thats just better.

Cresselia @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Moonlight
- Trick Room
Best of luck :o)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)