I'm made a game: Monjarmageddon, the 2D retro platformer

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I've had been doing game dev as a hobby for a long time, but now I finished and published a serious project. This is Monjarmageddon, a 2d retro platformer with a satirical, bloody theme. You control a Nun fighting communism possessed enemies.

You can download the demo of the game here. It's been released on Steam and Itch.io the 22nd of March. I have a Trello board where I keep track of the project, there you can see what's been done, what is being done, and what is going to be done. I also post game related updates in Twitter. The game has been localised to several languages. It's been developed with the Unity engine.

The game content consists of twelve levels and a final zone with just the final boss, the zones contain each two acts, having a boss at the second act of the zone (homage!). There are a set of items providing temporary immunity, speed, or wafers, the game coin. Every 50 wafers (in normal mode) you collect, you get an extra Holy Water, an item which protects you from one hit. Game modes change the effect of the items and empower enemies.

It is available on Steam, itch.io, and indiedb.

Controls:
Z: Jump
X: Shoot
Up Arrow: Look Up (Hold to look up)
Down Arrow: Crouch (Combine with Jump to fall down a platform, hold to look down)
Left Arrow: Move left
Right Arrow: Move right
Enter: In-Game Menu, Accept (Start button)
You can also play with your controller. Controls are configurable in-game.

The game has the following levels:
Monastery Zone, act 1
Monastery Zone, act 2
Night Bar Zone, act 1
Night Bar Zone, act 2
Hospital Zone, act 1
Hospital Zone, act 2
Desert Zone, act 1
Desert Zone, act 2
Lab Zone, act 1
Lab Zone, act 2
Commie HQ Zone, act 1
Commie HQ Zone, act 2
Final Zone

Feel free to post any criticism, bug report, opinion, or whatever!

Last edited:

internet

no longer getting paid to moderate
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
im not gonna look up how to open a ".tar.gz" file but judging from the screenshot the game is rather divorced from any sort of congruent aesthetic. My tips would be to put it in a zip and either do the spritework yourself or get it all from the same pack. Cool project, finishing a game or similar creative undertaking can be a herculean effort.

Joim

Pixels matter
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
im not gonna look up how to open a ".tar.gz" file but judging from the screenshot the game is rather divorced from any sort of congruent aesthetic. My tips would be to put it in a zip and either do the spritework yourself or get it all from the same pack. Cool project, finishing a game or similar creative undertaking can be a herculean effort.
.tar.gz is archived+compressed, it's used widely in unix systems, Winrar/7zip open it and I believe so does Windows archiver. If you have trouble opening it let me know so I can use more common compressing tools.

I'm actually doing all the spritework myself, the only things I haven't done in the game are the music, which is done by Cephlin , and SFX sounds, which I bought; and a character controller script that improves what I did myself. I think it may be incongruent because I improved the floor last night whereas the rest was the first I drew.

Thanks for your feedback! :)

Quite Quiet

I need a kitchen knife that doesn't whisper to me
is a Site Content Manageris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
TFP Leader
General feedback that is not a bug: I'm constantly annoyed by the doctors and how their attack doesn't have the same height. Sometimes you can duck under it, and sometimes you can't. It's really annoying to not know if I'll be safe from an attack or not when I can't tell by how high it travels because it's right in the area where it could be either.
I have yet to actually manage to make this jump, so until this gets fixed I cannot progress further.

There's a similar in Monstery Act 2 that is less game-breaking I saw but I forgot to screenshot it and haven't been able to find it again.

Less game-breaking but still annnoying:

Joim

Pixels matter
I did fix those issues and a number more:

*Default is now windowed mode
*Fixed problem in hospital act 2 entrance
*Fix collision problem in monastery act 1
*Fix invisible collision in hospital act 2
*Fix uneven grounds in monastery act 2
*Avoid game crash when loading checkpoint
*Reset properly game state when resetting game from menu
*Improve speed of translated texts
*Make jump require to re-enter the key
*Fix camera bounds on Night bar act 1
*Fix platform movement including jump blocker
*Fix coke speed up
*Fix Night Bar 2 platforms so it's possible to reach the end
*Keep game locked while menu is active
*Give more control over air movement
*Store score between levels
*Show balcony behind you unless you're on top of it
*Minor level layout corrections

Link updated on the webpage, can change the filename for 032 too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)