ORAS LC Imagine - [Peaked #1]

Imagine

Introduction:
Hi everyone. My name is Dundies (duh) and you'll usually see me playing PU but I decided to take a break from that and branch off into other tiers. I started in Little Cup and was successful right away, but the team I first started with had trouble against the players at the top of the ladder. I built this team and had a lot of success with it as well, and I reached a new peak at #4 #1. I'm currently tilting but I plan to keep climbing and I will update the RMT accordingly. Please leave suggestions if you see anything that would benefit the team. It would be greatly appreciated. Enjoy the music while you read over the RMT. :]

Teambuilding Process:

I started the team off with a combination that is really effective in the current meta, which is U-Turn into trap Diglett. Larvesta lures bulky Rock- and Fire-type and U-Turns on them into Diglett for a kill.

I knew I would need a spinner to take care of Larvesta's Stealth Rocks weakness and Staryu was the perfect fit.

I added Archen to the team as it would supply me with Stealth Rocks of my own and a Fletchling check.

With Archen on the team, I found that I was extremely easily worn down by Stealth Rocks and I had nothing reliable to take on hits. I substituted Lileep in and it fit the bill extremely well, taking lots of hits and checking most Shell Smash users very well.

I knew I needed a better Fletchling check now that I no longer had Archen, so I gave Honedge a try. It turns out this threat is highly underrated and it's actually helpful to spinblock as well.

Lasty, Mienfoo was the perfect addition as another check to Shell Smashers, a Knock Off spammer, and a Pokemon who can regenerate health. Mienfoo is the basically the glue to the team.

A Closer Look:
@

Ability: Flame Body
Level: 5
EVs: 80 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

I never knew how strong Larvesta was until I actually used it. U-Turn hits non-resisted targets extremely hard and Flare Blitz is a whole different story. The bulkier set is really helpful in weakening physical threats such as Mienfoo and Pawniard down with Will-O-Wisp and Flame Body, while also being able to deal loads of damage.

@

Ability: Arena Trap
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch
Diglett is an extremely underrated Pokemon in the current LC meta, as it sits in a great Speed tier, being able to reach 20, it hits super hard, especially with STAB Earthquake and it traps stuff. There's not much you can go wrong with that. Along with Larvesta's U-Turn shenanigans, Diglett usually picks up about 3 kills a game on average just because it trapped something.

@

Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin
Staryu is one of those "take any one hit" Pokemon that can deal a lot of damage and spread burns with Scald. It is probably the best spinner in the current meta with its ability to beat so many common Stealth Rockers and with the amount of Pokemon it can check. Its access to Natural Cure and Recover is also nice, meaning it isn't worn down so quickly.

@

Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 228 HP / 220 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Ancient Power
- Recover
Lileep plays a big role on this team as it acts as my Stealth Rocker and checks a ton of huge threats (Fletchling, Staryu, Omanyte, Tirtouga, Carvanha, etc). It's overall a really reliable 'mon with its access to reliable recovery and its great bulk. Archen would play a similar role but i found Lileep to be a much better fit.

@

Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
This thing is really underrated. Its ability to take on frailer threats such as Gastly, Abra, and Fletchling is really helpful towards the team and it is able to set up on some of the bulkier Pokemon in the tier such as Spritzee and sweeping through unprepared teams. If you do bring this in against Fletchling and your opponent uses Acrobatics, it might be best to double switch into Staryu just in case they carry Overheat. Otherwise, it's a good check.

@

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Taunt
Mienfoo plays a huge role on the team, as it does with most teams, just with Fighting STAB and Knock Off. It also adds another U-turn user to lure Pokemon such as Larvesta and trap them with Diglett. I opted for Taunt in the final moveslot to prevent hazard stack to an extent, prevent setup, and prevent status.

Larvesta @ Eviolite
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 80 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 1 Spe
- U-turn
- Flare Blitz
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Diglett @ Life Orb
Ability: Arena Trap
EVs: 36 HP / 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Sucker Punch

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 116 HP / 156 Def / 236 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Psychic
- Recover
- Rapid Spin

Lileep @ Eviolite
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 228 HP / 220 Def / 60 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Ancient Power
- Recover

Honedge @ Eviolite
Ability: No Guard
EVs: 196 Atk / 116 Def / 140 SpD / 52 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Iron Head
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Mienfoo @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 196 Def / 76 SpD / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Taunt

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-234602326 - Lileep shows off its bulk late game after I fail to spin away hazards

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-237915957 - Again, Lileep with the clutch

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/lc-237924494 - Really close game where Lileep (YET AGAIN) beats a +6 Zigzagoon to clutch the victory (also battle that got me to #1)

IM SORRY IF I MISS YOU ;_;

Dell - best smogon avatars by far

WhiteDMist - cool RO, should battle more imo :]

galbia - another cool RO, #FREE ICEBLINK

Anty - muh antyconda dont :o

Eevee General - awesome mod, awesome forum posts

GrimoireGod - best QC member imo and cool dude :]]]

Magnemite - my favorite person to battle since you're the only person i can hax :>

Megazard Z - started from the bottom now we here (nice n Bippy) :]

Montsegur - monty python :o one of the coolest mods from back when I started in PU

Raiza. - moderator extraordinaire :o you definitely deserve the badge, council, and QC with all of the work you put in

scorpdestroyer - awesome mod, cool guy. P.S. draft me for PUPL imo :o

TONE114 - awesome guy, youre basically a magician with getting QC checks :p grats on RO and global!

2xTheTap - a fellow Dunder Mifflinite, and an awesome guy :]

BadPandaPancham - come back BPP ;_;

GasQuake - you're pretty cool for a nerd i guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Mistress Remilia - /me pet Remi :o

Texas Cloverleaf - cool guy, should come back to PU imo :]

unfixable - super nice mod :] OM pro

Anonymous Man - such a genuinely nice guy, hope you get driver in the future :]

Ben Ohver - benderpants :] cool guy who always says hi when i join chat

Detect Marowak - grats on voice bud :] next step driver

Kingler12345 - cool guy, grats on QC team :]

RawMelon - grats on voice man, you deserve it :] i look forward to more ladder matches lol

Sir Kay 9 - super nice guy and finally got that NU driver. now for PU :]

WakafLUKEaflame - ah from the humble days of GoodLuke to WakafLUKEaflame. grats on voice bud :]

Official Fissure - best innovator out there, always fun battling you man :]

R0ady - Awesome guy, great player :]

Draeden - awesome OU mod, glad you've been hanging out in PU to help keep chat in check lol

Realistic Waters - super nice guy, really great NU player. come play more PU imo :]

Last edited:
Hi Dundies, great team you have here! Also Honedge is a lord and it's nice to see it get some love. This is a really nicely built balance so there's not much to add, but I do have a suggestion to make for Lileep.

-On Lileep, I would recommend a more specially defensive spread with 228 HP/140 Def/140 Sp Def with a Calm nature. This spread hit 26/16/18 bulk, and avoids the KO from Omanyte's +2 Ice Beam After Stealth Rock, which is important because Larv can be set-up bait for Omanyte. The loss of Physical bulk isn't that bad because 16 Def still checks Fletch and Archen.

Honestly there's not a whole lot else that this team needs. I'll mention Swords Dance Pawniard over Honedge because it's faster and much more immediately threatening while offering Knock Off support but Honedge cant be stopped from sweeping by Sub Abra/Gastly shenanigans and Honedge is fun to use anyway.Great team, good luck with it and your future in LC!

Last edited:

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hi Dundies I really like your team but I'd like to give you 2 tips: first of all Pursuit over Swords Dance on Honedge, this could look stupid but it's really nice to trap Gastly and Abra that can be a pain for your time if played well (especially Abra that become really annoying when Lileep is damaged) and it also get some chip damage on Fletchling and some other mons that try to switch out. I recomend you to change the Larvesta's spread to 76 HP / 236 Def / 156 SpD / 36 Spe because you didn't put 36 evs in speed and you lost 1 point in speed. I hope this was helpful and good job on the peak ;]

Thank you fran17 I was actually thinking of running Pursuit on Honedge so I'll try that out. The Larvesta spread is actually meant to have the less speed to be slower than opposing Larvesta and therefore getting off a slow U-turn.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey man, always nice to see a Little Cup team, especially using some underrated Pokemon like Honedge : )

From your team, it looks like Timburr is a big threat. Your team has to rely on wearing him down with a hopeful Burn from Larvesta, as well as taunting him with Mienfoo so he doesn't get a Bulk Up boost. One thing you can try is to run Gothita over Diglett. A Scarf set allows you a nice, non-negotiable trapper that can trap things like Mienfoo, Timburr, Vullaby, Chinchou. You 2HKO Vullaby, OHKO Chinchou with some prior damage (minimum 72%), and KO Timburr and Mienfoo with a bit of prior damage (should be enough with a slow U-turn). You also conveniently get rid of Archen, which can help Honedge out. One bad thing however, is that Gothita isn't as strong as Diglett, so there are some things that you don't KO (such as a lot of Berry Juice users which is kinda shitty, however you should kill with slow U-turns as they still do around 20% a lot of the time, and with Stealth Rock you definitely kill). Gothita also doesn't have any good priority, so you might miss potential revenge kills with Diglett's Sucker Punch. Also, some Fire-types, such as Ponyta, can be a bit troublesome to deal with, however I don't forsee this as a problem with Staryu and Lileep.

I'm going to go ahead and second Omastar42 suggestion of updating the EV spread on Lileep. The only thing that you miss out on is now with the specially oriented spread, there's a slight chance that Tirtouga can OHKO you with Stone Edge, with Stealth Rock up. Carvanha can also 2HKO, however I don't think that's as big of a deal since you have Mienfoo and Staryu. Since you would change the bulk on Lileep, and Carvanha teams can now be threatening, I'm going to suggest running Thunderbolt>Psychic. Most things that you would hit with Psychic are hurt hard by a Scald burn anyway, such as Mienfoo. The one thing that doesn't really fear Scald is Croagunk, who is easily burned by Larvesta or trapped by Diglett. It's also setup fodder for Honedge, which is pretty cool. Lastly, just a suggestion, but if you don't go with Omastar42's EV spread, it might still be worth going for a more optimized spread that allows for an extra 8 EVs, as Hidden Power Rock could be a better investment, with 24 PP compared to 8 (the problem is, it lowers your defenses to 30 IVs, so in order to boost that up you would need to add 4 to your spread).

Strong team friend, congratulations on your peak! There really isn't too much that even should be done with this team, I especially love how it features cool EV spreads and cool Pokemon, such as Honedge. Good luck with your team! I hope that these suggestions at the least provoke thoughts about building : )

TL;DR

Diglett --> Gothita
Psychic --> Thunderbolt Staryu

Sets

Gothita @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick / Thunder Wave / Hidden Power Fire / Filler

Hey man, always nice to see a Little Cup team, especially using some underrated Pokemon like Honedge : )

From your team, it looks like Timburr is a big threat. Your team has to rely on wearing him down with a hopeful Burn from Larvesta, as well as taunting him with Mienfoo so he doesn't get a Bulk Up boost. One thing you can try is to run Gothita over Diglett. A Scarf set allows you a nice, non-negotiable trapper that can trap things like Mienfoo, Timburr, Vullaby, Chinchou. You 2HKO Vullaby, OHKO Chinchou with some prior damage (minimum 72%), and KO Timburr and Mienfoo with a bit of prior damage (should be enough with a slow U-turn). You also conveniently get rid of Archen, which can help Honedge out. One bad thing however, is that Gothita isn't as strong as Diglett, so there are some things that you don't KO (such as a lot of Berry Juice users which is kinda shitty, however you should kill with slow U-turns as they still do around 20% a lot of the time, and with Stealth Rock you definitely kill). Gothita also doesn't have any good priority, so you might miss potential revenge kills with Diglett's Sucker Punch. Also, some Fire-types, such as Ponyta, can be a bit troublesome to deal with, however I don't forsee this as a problem with Staryu and Lileep.

I'm going to go ahead and second Omastar42 suggestion of updating the EV spread on Lileep. The only thing that you miss out on is now with the specially oriented spread, there's a slight chance that Tirtouga can OHKO you with Stone Edge, with Stealth Rock up. Carvanha can also 2HKO, however I don't think that's as big of a deal since you have Mienfoo and Staryu. Since you would change the bulk on Lileep, and Carvanha teams can now be threatening, I'm going to suggest running Thunderbolt>Psychic. Most things that you would hit with Psychic are hurt hard by a Scald burn anyway, such as Mienfoo. The one thing that doesn't really fear Scald is Croagunk, who is easily burned by Larvesta or trapped by Diglett. It's also setup fodder for Honedge, which is pretty cool. Lastly, just a suggestion, but if you don't go with Omastar42's EV spread, it might still be worth going for a more optimized spread that allows for an extra 8 EVs, as Hidden Power Rock could be a better investment, with 24 PP compared to 8 (the problem is, it lowers your defenses to 30 IVs, so in order to boost that up you would need to add 4 to your spread).

Strong team friend, congratulations on your peak! There really isn't too much that even should be done with this team, I especially love how it features cool EV spreads and cool Pokemon, such as Honedge. Good luck with your team! I hope that these suggestions at the least provoke thoughts about building : )

TL;DR

Diglett --> Gothita
Psychic --> Thunderbolt Staryu

Sets

Gothita @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Shadow Tag
EVs: 236 SpA / 36 SpD / 236 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Trick / Thunder Wave / Hidden Power Fire / Filler
thank you! i actually did notice how huge of a threat timburr was, so i'll definitely have to try gothita

Well doublade's not lc, so i assume you mean honedge. Honedge can only 3hko larvesta at +2 while it is 2hko'd itself or open to being burnt itself, other than that he has staryu which isn't killed by +2 sacred sword + sneak and can scald it, threatening to burn. Mienfoo can threaten it with knock off before it has an SD up and after setup +2 iron head does ~70-80 so, it can then kill it with knock off if some prior damage is done leaves it open for his own Honedge revenge. Diglett could also beat it in some circumstances, but it's too unreliable.

tl:dr, as long as larvesta's healthy, he probably doesn't have much of a problem with doublade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)