International Challenge April 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
On day2 I went with a disappointing 9-6 (Masters). The games I lost were:
-Against two trick room teams: couldn't do much, other than leading with different pokemons (I started with double duck against torkoal+oranguru. I learned the lesson and won the next games against same teams leading with Metagross+Buzzwole. The other one was against a Mimikyu+Hariyama that pressured me with Fake Out);
-Tapu Fini+Garchomp vs my Golduck+Buzzwole, last two pokemons for each: I went with Poison Jab on Fini and Ice Beam on Garchomp. He loses Garchomp and goes with Moonblast on my Buzzwole, doing like 40% (AV). Next turn he protects on Fini to finish Rain and Tailwind on my part. Next turn I erroneusly go for Poison Jab + Hydro Pump, forgetting he used Protect (I should have gone for Encore with Golduck). And the worst happens, Tapu Fini Moonblast crits Buzzwole and kills it. I lost the game here, because I wasn't focused (I usually always go for Encore on setup/protect finis lol);
-After breaking the 1700, I went against a Drifblim+Lele Team. I go with my usual Tailwind+Z-Move on Lele (as it gives me the best odds to get a instakill or a kill next turn thanks to TW). The problem is that Drifblim went with Sunny Day lol, and Z-Move did nothing to Tapu Lele. After that I started losing all my pieces one by one. Didn't expect the Sunny Blim lol;
-After that guy I went against the same team, played probably by a very good player (he was like 1753), which went instantly for the double target on my Pelipper. After that I managed to get a 2v2 but his Metagross was free to attack, as I hadn't any counters to him both in Team Preview and in the game.
I don't remember the last loss, but probably it was against some goodstuff team where I mismanaged my resources.

It could have gone better, like 11-4 if I played more focused, but it's still okay, I hope to do a bit better tomorrow. I really want to finish in the 1700 range, but didn't feel like I wanted to stop today when I went past it. Like, you should play every match in a competition, to learn the most, right?

Day 1 I went 9-6, which was a lot better than expected. I lost out to some better synergies than what my team offered. Day 2 though, faired far worse. I went 4-11, just getting horrific pairings in my favor. Again, I wish I had more time putting the team I wanted together.. better luck next time!

Before going to bed last night, I did two more matches, and won them both. Well, technically. Because one of the guys I went up against was a chickenshit: just before I was about to deliver the finishing blow, he DCed, and robbed me of my ladder points.

After that, I decided to go for one more match, and won that as well (with no losses I think).

As for that little shit: I can't decide how karma should treat him; make him loose every single match, or let him win every match to now, make it into the championship, only to loose the first match recorded live. Maybe he'd get tossed out on his ass if he DCed in the Championship like the coward he is. He needs to learn that life isn't like soft-resetting for legendaries: you can't erase results you don't like!

Guess they didn't make it so that you loose ladder points if you DC.

Still, winning 5 out of 6 matches is cool.

Finished Day 2 with about 1650 points, I´m pretty satisfied with that. Had a bad start today but after that it started to get better. Trying to reach the 1700s tomorrow, would be really nice to finish in that ladder region.

What's a good rating to have at 30 games in and how do I check where I rate? Additionally, how do Championship Points work in the ranking?
Championship Points aren't awarded until the three days end and the final rankings are determined. Additionally, Japanese players are not factored into CP distribution for American players.

Was it Paired with an Air Balloon Xurkitree? I fought one of those earlier after running across, of all things, a Physical Pory2. (failed to finish making a team, so i just went with my in-game thing for the mega stones)
My notes say it did have a Xurk on its team, although I don't remember if it was holding an Air Balloon or not. Also, I run physical P2 -- my two attacks are Return and Ice Beam. It's placed fairly well at real-life events, and it's not that bad considering how often Download gives you an Attack boost.

On to day two!

Match 7: a complete wipe out. From using Whirlwind on my Porygon, and using Taunt, I was unable to take any control of the match. I couldn't do a thing.

Loss

Match 8: my opponent couldn't do a thing against me! Win

Match 9: Another person just in it for the stones. Win

Match 10: 2 kills. Loss

Notes: I can't do a thing against Mandibuzz. Combined with Tapu Fini, which prevents status moves, it's impossible for me to win. Frustratingly, it will be a while before I will be able to use this combination myself. This person ran circles around me, and is a possible Championship contender. I hope to have a rematch, once I have access to a better team.

Match 11: I brought the wrong Pokémon (I should have brought Marowak), and couldn't even move due to not having enough time to plan. 1 kill.
I do not know how I would have done had I brought Ghost Rider.

Loss

Match 12: 1715 Score; Kills: None, due to loosing momentum when my Trick Room subsided. She switched out rather than letting me have a kill. Unfortunately, this team has proven incapable of really beating teams that are well prepped with Pokémon I don't have access to. Aurora Veil might have made a difference, though I think it as mostly the typings. It can hold them back, but can't win, and eventually, I get outmaneuvered. Walls are a problem.

Again, this person is very good, and a possible Championship contender if she keeps it up.

Match 13: DC

Match 14: 1 Casualty; win. Current Score: 1562. It is likely this is where I will be stuck around, due to being unable to compete against really good combinations I just don't have current access to.

Current Ratio: 8 wins to 6 losses. One DC. Unknown if it will go to me, but possibly.

It seems I have only been winning 1/3 of my matches. I conclude that the Tapus are overpowered, with few weaknesses to compensate. I hate the Tapus and Mandiuzz (and Taunt) now.

Unless I can find a way to compensate for Taunt, I will likely stop using Trick Room, and look at strategies using the Tapus once I have them.

Last edited:
As for that little shit: I can't decide how karma should treat him; make him loose every single match, or let him win every match to now, make it into the championship, only to loose the first match recorded live. Maybe he'd get tossed out on his ass if he DCed in the Championship like the coward he is. He needs to learn that life isn't like soft-resetting for legendaries: you can't erase results you don't like!

Guess they didn't make it so that you loose ladder points if you DC.
They do. You don't get/lose automatically the points, but they will update in like 1-2hr. So tomorrow you will probably find some extra points on your screen.

If it was that easy, everyone could do that and not lose points! :P

I encountered two people that disconnected clearly on purpose too. Look it at this way: you saved some time and got free points!

Reactions: JES
They do. You don't get/lose automatically the points, but they will update in like 1-2hr. So tomorrow you will probably find some extra points on your screen.

If it was that easy, everyone could do that and not lose points! :P

I encountered two people that disconnected clearly on purpose too. Look it at this way: you saved some time and got free points!
He's actually not even bad. He had a score of 1547. There probably will be points missing tomorrow though. Boy, will he be in for a shock!

Probably I good thing that I have the sense of honor then to not DC when I'm about to loose (I've been pretty frustrated at times). Because my poor Pokés have some really sore butts now.

Last edited:

Ending the second day with a total record 23W 7L in Masters'. My rating is probably about 1690 - 1700.
6 of those losses occurred today, and 4 of them were due to hax. The hax that cost me those 4 games were:

- Mudsdale critting my Porygon2 with Close Combat, a Muddy Water miss, and the low chance my opponent's Gyarados had Aqua Tail instead of Waterfall
- Metagross critting my +1 Muk with Earthquake
- Tapu Koko critting my Arcanine turn 1, allowing my opponent's Toxapex and Celesteela to toxic stall me
- The extremely unlikely chance that my opponent not only had Muk, but proc'ed the Poison Touch the first time he attacked me, and his Salamence flinching me twice with Rock Slide (both on crucial turns)

Whelp, I made a 'decent' return to the competitive scene after leaving for a good 9 years or so. lol. Finished above 1600 winning 8 games more than I lost. Not much of a Double player, so I had to learn to adapt at the exact same time that I returned from a hiatus. Thinking I did alright though.

Started playing on day 2 (didnt play day 1) and finished 2-1.

Game 1: Win: My first opponent was bad, he ran sturdy Magnezone and a Garchomp who used Dig... Then he broight a Kommo-o against 2 fairy types...

Game 2: Lose: My opponent leaded with Psychic Seed Mandibuzz and Tapu Lele, because i leaded with Kartana and Ninetales i couldnt do anything against the Mandibuzz, so i prepared myself for a lose but my opponent did some bad plays and i did some good plays wich resulted in a 1VS1 at the end of the game wich i lost because my Kartana had too low health.

Game 3: Win: I had a pretty good matchup againdt my opponent but thanks to bad luck it came down to a 1VS1 where my Shiny Tapu Koko destroyed his Vikavolt!

On day 3 (today) i will play my 42 matches trying to reach 1550 or higher.
Why i play almost all my games on day 3: on day 3 all the people that are still in low 1500 and 1400 are mostly vad players so i dont need to play against players who are better than me.

Sup guys, I did 11 games won 10. Just wondering what sort of rating is good enough for championship points so I know when to stop if I ever get high enough.

Celestavian

Smooth
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Sup guys, I did 11 games won 10. Just wondering what sort of rating is good enough for championship points so I know when to stop if I ever get high enough.
To get any CP you should aim for at least 1710, as the top 1024 last time cut off at 1705 points. However, that's essentially worth 1 CP which is fairly useless unless you go to a lot of PCs and get points in amounts not divisible by 5. For real CP, top 64 gives 20 CP and top 128 gives 10, which are terrible, but require around 1805 points for top 128 and like 1820 for top 64.

All of these numbers are based off of the last international challenge in February, and are a little bit above the actual values that made it so you can be "safer" about making the top 64/128/whatever you are aiming for. The fact that the japanese aren't playing in this IC could also have an effect on the thresholds and potentially lower them, but I wouldn't bank too much on that being the case. This IC will have different thresholds from the February one, and there's really nothing you can do to guarantee you are going to get a good number of points. All you can really do is pick a rating to hit and park there if you can.

Argh couldn't get all my battles and I lost some of the last ones I did :[. Shoulda stopped at 1733 but I'm probably around 1710 now so meh. I was really happy with my team, I lost a lot to misplays but that just means I learned a lot from this. Some I lost to hax but most of those were matches where I coulda avoided it. I'm also happy that I didn't win any to hax(or at least I don't recall any matches like that). I'm so mad at myself for a lot of my losses though, a lot(2 but that is too many) were actually to people with ingame teams >_<. Unfortunately the only fight where I felt that I couldn't win even in hindsight was against a person that got disconnected against me. I guess I'll post my record when the website updates.

Match 15: Loss 9-6

Notes: I need to remember not to use Thunderbolt when switching in Ghost Rider. I wonder if I could have substituted Energy Ball for T-Bolt on Porygon 2, so that I can still hit Water types?

Because I had to work late today, that was the only match I had time for (though that's partly my fault for sleeping in due to staying up so late). I thought I could play until midnight, and was disappointed that it ended before 9:00. Working on weekends really, really sucks, but there is nothing I can do about it!!!

Glad that the lock is lifted after the conclusion of the competition.

Last edited:
Scoreboard is up on PGL! (seems like nothing on Megastones yet)

Finished 393th worldwide and top50 in Italy with 1708 rating, I'm very happy with my result! Looking to get a better one in the May's competition!

How did you guys do? :)

Mega Stones coming soon. The global event with Pidgeotite and Steelixite maybe along with two other Mega Stones will be out soon too. Like as the last online competition I'll try to find the link of the entry gift before its release.

Looks like PGL did end up giving me credit for 5 of DC's from my opponents, so I ended up going 20-8-0 with 1667 points. Was getting discouraged about all the DC's but now that I know they do end up counting them, I'll probably play all 45 matches next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)