Project Iron Chef: Overused | Episode 11 (Coming 2019!)

Creativity: Team 2 ( 1 True Lycan )
I have to say I like the idea of Protean lure Greninja, and being Z-Ice Beam it fits really well for the team, helping out both M.Gyarados and Landorus-T. This combined with Scarf Magearna, catching bulky grounds such as LandoT by suprise really helps the team, and even helps set up a potential cleaning up from Scarf Landot. I feel this team has the best viable creativity.

Essence: Team 5 ( LL )
Looking through all the other teams, I feel the usage of the 3 choice items on this team are the most thought out and less forced of them all. With CB Zygarde rising in popularity due to spl, and the current meta trends all really benefitting the set, helping break Av Bulu for Ash Greninja, while the latios revenges key threats for the team, I feel these choices have been well thought out

Effectiveness: Team 5 ( LL )
Having submitted a similar team and going 2 - 2 vs the Iron Chef, I cant vouch for this type of team enough at the moment. Jirachi has amazing synergy with Zygarde, bring in mons like Pex and Heatran for Zygarde, + Healing Wish support is invaluable for a team like this, allowing more reckless play with wallbreakers. Zygarde, as mentioned has great synergy with Ash Gren, breaking through Av Bulu for it, but also ash grens spikes pressuring many of Zygardes checks. The team has a really solid mu vs the current meta I feel.

MANNAT

Follow me on twitch!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
wisdom dog Band Zygarde has seen a resurgence recently and was essential to winning a game in SPL week 1, not to mention that it's super good right now with CB Iron Tail being able to smash AV Bulu, who is commonly used as the main Zygarde check on a lot of teams nowadays, with Scarf Lando-T being more favored than defensive on those types of builds. I can totally understand thinking that BuluKart with Hawlucha is a good team and like it a lot myself, but I just wanted to dispel this misconception. (I can agree that Specs Torn-T is a massive unset though)

wisdom dog Band Zygarde has seen a resurgence recently and was essential to winning a game in SPL week 1, not to mention that it's super good right now with CB Iron Tail being able to smash AV Bulu, who is commonly used as the main Zygarde check on a lot of teams nowadays, with Scarf Lando-T being more favored than defensive on those types of builds. I can totally understand thinking that BuluKart with Hawlucha is a good team and like it a lot myself, but I just wanted to dispel this misconception. (I can agree that Specs Torn-T is a massive unset though)
i agree, ive been seeing it put in hard work in spl and i was rlly grasping at straws on that one

Creativity: Team 3 (Volcanoheadproduction(yt))
I think the idea of taunt keldeo with waterium luring stuff for zygarde and scizor is cool, although keldeo still has trouble breaking through pokemon like bulu and pex despite the z move. It's still a nice idea which I think is quite creative. Also specs tornadus-t hits surprisingly hard and can definitely be a threat.

Essence: Team 5 ( LL )
CB Zygarde + Specs Ash Gren is a nice core which is seen in many standard OU teams because they pair so well together. Greninja can lay up hazards to support the team while zygarde can weaken mons like bulu and tangrowth for greninja. A choice scarfer is also necessary for most OU teams so his team seems to have fit all 3 choiced mons without it looking forced.

Effectiveness: Team 5 ( LL )
His team doesn't have many obvious weaknesses and the pokemon he has chosen synergise well together

Creativity: Prisoner952, Team 7
TR is lit and applying triple choice to it was a pretty cool idea. Not the most effective team but it is very left-field and can be wielded to good effect.

Essence: LL, Team 5
A lot of good mons that synergize well and take maximum advantage of each other's presence. CB Zygarde is a nice pick in particular

Effectiveness: I'll get back to you on this one, haven't decided yet.

Last edited:
Creativity: Team 7, Alolan Goatlem.
Essence: Team 5 cause the team synergizes very well.
Effectiveness: Team 5, the team doesn't have that many common weaknesses that can be exploited easily.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Creativity: Team 6, lead Lycanroc is interesting and something you don't see very often but that does its job so yea looks like a nice niche for the dog
Essence: Team 1, I feel like both of the choice mons fit naturally here and contribute to the team rather than just filling the round's theme
Effectiveness: Team 5 loses to Qwilfish but other than that looks solid to me

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE CHAIRMAN!
After a long wait, the final scores have been calculated and one Chef has stood out from the rest. This Chef's dish used the secret ingredient to its fullest, unleashing the full potential of three choiced Pokemon and masterfully incorporating them in the team. Without further ado, I'm proud to announce the first ever winner of Iron Chef | Overused as...

Chef LL!

Despite his 1-2 record against the reputable Iron Chefs, Chef LL managed to win the community voting in both Essence and Effectiveness, putting himself significantly ahead of the rest of the competition. Chef LL finishes this Episode with an astounding cumulative weighted score of 75% and his dish will be proudly added to the Hall of Fame very soon.

The votes for community voting were also counted, and the winner of each dish is presented below:

Most Original Dish: Prisoner952
Most Essential Dish: LL
Best-Tasting Dish: LL

Thanks to everyone who participated and made the first Episode a great success! The second secret ingredient will be revealed momentarily...

paoisd -- creativity 3/5, elevation 2/5, effectiveness 4/5. is an ok team overall, so high effectiveness, but i feel like going w/ SD + defog Z Kartana and then Lum volc would be better, but he had to use CB to fit the requirement, which is why low elevation bc he just sorta slapped it on i feel. creativity is not too great here, but he does use band kart which isn't too common, so i'll give it a passable 3.

1 true lycan -- creativity 4/5, elevation 2/5, effectiveness 4/5. is a similarly decent team, so high effectiveness, but i feel like scarf magearna is forced, albeit creative, and the dual scarf thing not necessary w all the natural speed on the team. he has scarf magearna and a neat protean gren set, so i'll throw him a bit higher a ranking for creativity as i alluded to.

volcano - creativity 5/5, elevation 2/5, effectiveness 2/5. is a worse overall team with some unsets like specs torn-t thrown on to meet the criteria and has some pretty interesting weaknesses and also pokemon like cm keldeo who simply don't cut it in the current metagame, but does integrate creativity. i feel like triple choice is almost always gonna be forced and again it is shown here, but the creativity is the lone saving grace w/ the couple "unsets" as they're still pretty neat. harder to rank these sorts of teams tbh, but i guess this is as close as it'll get.

lord ninjax - creativity 3/5, elevation 3/5, effectiveness 3/5. is a meh team b/c scarf keld really is sucky rn and idt he needa dual scarf, but it doesn't seem as forced as others as his remaining team is slow and bandtar + 1 of the scarfers clearly fits. has some cool synergy going and isn't outright as creative as others as all standard sets, but the layout of it w dual scarf earns him some points there and the lele set is a nice pick.

LL - creativity 2/5, elevation 4/5, effectiveness 5/5. this is a good overall team that doesn't have the triple choice forced at all as it's a natural structure, but it's pretty standard so creativity is low. probably my favorite or second favorite yet.

multi - creativity 5/5, elevation 3/5, effectiveness 2/5. this team's pretty bad, but it has a lycanroc and dual scarf so it has the ultimate HO sorta balls to the walls feel. idt it's a good metagame pick given the pace of things and it has a lot of vulnerabilities while pkmn on it have common counters, but he does meat the criteria and use some cool shit, so i gave him the points i could i suppose.

prisoner - creativity 5/5, elevation 2/5, effectiveness 1/5. this is just some bad trick room team with some meme CB pokemon thrown on and poor attempts at synergy. rankings reflect that.

1 trick phony - creativity 4/5, elevation 3/5, effectiveness 3/5. ok team w a bit of an unconventional lucha set up and a very nice heatran set, but some holes.

Thought about it and I'm gonna go with the scale of 1 and 2 being bad, 3 being neutral and then 4 and 5 being good. I was probably a bit harsher with some of the points, but I don't think I went overboard with any of it.

paoisd
  • Creativity (2) - Mega Latias is cool, but he literally said he added Ash Greninja and Kartana because they're good, so he lost some points there.
  • Elevation (2) - The team could almost be a regular team if Lele didn't have choice scarf, and just adding that in there felt like they were barely getting it in there. The description says Scarf Kartana, but the importable has a CB Kartana, and idk which one it's supposed to be, but CB would be a cool option. Overall it feels like a regular team that was made worse by subbing in choice items on
  • Effectiveness (2) - It might just be me, but I feel like the team doesn't capitalize well on half the team being choice locked. If it didn't have Volcarona or a fire type, it'd be way worse because the answers to the 3 choice locked mons being mons that Volcarona can handle and set up against (Magearna, Scizor, Ferrothorn), so kudos to him for having it. That and I don't like how an opposing Ash Greninja can come pretty easily (revenge kill everything outside of Lele locked into not Psychic and a healthy Volcarona at +1) and literally spams Dark Pulse until Lele has to come in to force it out.
1 True Lycan
  • Creativity (4) - Greninja set looks pretty cool (it's the wrong sprite btw) and Mega Gyarados is a nice pick too. Specs Koko + Hawlucha looks like a nice idea for this round and he was able to fit it in while benefiting from his unique Greninja set. Scarf Magearna's an interesting idea too
  • Elevation (3) - Lando and Koko's choice items are solid choices, but I have to agree with Finch in that Magearna being scarfed feels unnecessary due to the rest of the team being fast mons, including another scarf mon and Hawlucha. Choice Specs might've been cool, but it still feels like the team doesn't appreciate it being choice locked.
  • Effectiveness (4) - At first, it looks like Bulu would be an issue (outside of Hawlucha), but when you consider the Greninja set that can lure and remove it on the spot, it looks pretty cool and offensively it looks fun and it's something I'd be willing to try out.
VolcanoNameTooLong
  • Creativity (3) - Honestly I'm not sure if we consider the effectiveness of the creative set because the Greninja set above seemed like it actually did something, but in this case, Specs Tornadus doesn't look as helpful. I'd prefer to give points to a creative good set rather than an unset.
  • Elevation (2) - Zygarde and Lando being choice locked looks fine, but then the Choice Specs Torn-T sorta just ruins it and makes the team worse
  • Effectiveness (2) - If I were to give this team to my tutee or player, they'd definitely struggle with this because it's super weak to Koko, Toxapex (comes in on Jirachi, Scizor and probably Torn-T as well and spams Scald and the only ways to KO it (aside from spending 30 turns with Keldeo and expecting them to stay in the whole time while burn slowly chips at Keldeo's health) would be to hope Zygarde avoids every Scald burn, hitting 2 Hurricanes and getting the confusion chance, having Toxapex hit itself in confusion and/or critting at least 1 of the Hurricanes. The point is, it's very hard and not being able to break it easily at this point in the meta won't suffice.
Lord Ninjax
  • Creativity (1) - I might be too harsh on this one, but it's literally just a standard team with an extra scarf mon in Keldeo
  • Elevation (3) - Tyranitar and Kartana fit in, but Keldeo sticks out as the odd choice. Specs would've been nicer since it could burn Bulu or Toxapex and Tyranitar and Lele and Magearna deal with Lati and first two can deal with Toxapex and the extra power would be helpful too. Scarf can help with Volcarona, so it's not totally useless.
  • Effectiveness (3) - It's essentially a standard team that probably works fine, but Keldeo probably won't help as much as another mon could have.
LL
  • Creativity (1) - Standard team that probably put a CB on Zygarde over the Z move or another mon that previously had a Z move.
  • Elevation ( 5) - Actually makes good use of 3 choice locked mons, with Greninja and Zygarde being able to work together offensively and Latios fits in nicely as well as the Scarf mon
  • Effectiveness (5) - It's standard and it looks solid offensively, defensively and aesthetically as well.
Multi
  • Creativity (4) - Lycanroc looks like a cool idea and when you consider the set, it looks like it'll put in some work each game, so that's good.
  • Elevation (3) - Double specs is cool and scarf lando kind of works here too, but it looks annoying to use on paper with 3 choice locked mons, a mon 4X weak to rocks, a suicide lead that's gone after the first few turns and then Kartana.
  • Effectiveness (2) - As mentioned above, it looks tough to use and the half the team being choice locked doesn't make the team better.
Prisoner
  • Creativity (4) - It's a unique team for sure, but in terms of how good his creative sets are in practice, they'd fall flat and so that's the main reason I didn't give him a 5.
  • Elevation (2) - Got 3 CB mons in there which pretty much screams he slapped it on for the requirement and he made the team way worse while doing so. Alolan Golem being CB is cool, so I'll give him that
  • Effectiveness (1) - If you wanna beat the team, you send in Toxapex on Azumarill and click Scald to your heart's content. Magearna and Stakataka can be dangerous at times, but outside of that, the team doesn't capitalize on TR as well as it could if the team weren't choice locked.
1 Trick Phony
  • Creativity (3) - It's pretty standard, and the Heatran set looks cool, but it says Firium Z in the importable and then Groundium Z in the description, so again, idk which one, but it's cool.
  • Elevation (4) - Personally I like how he has Magnezone in there to work with Greninja and Bulu to remove Ferrothorn and Scizor, and it doesn't feel like the choice locked aspect ruined the team. Greninja was forced, but at least he has some stuff that works together on paper at least. Ok so I see a Magearna and then I see a Magnezone the 2nd time, so which one is it? Magnezone I'd give him a 4, Magearna I'd go down to a 3 or even a 2.
  • Effectiveness (3) - Hawlucha gonna carry the team for the most part, and it's got decent support, but there's still some issues like Zapdos applying a shit ton of pressure and the lack of a ground type and Magnezone not being needed as much when Heatran's already there.

paoisd:

Creativity: 3/5
Essence: 2/5
Effectiveness: 4/5

The idea of Lele + Volc is cool and one that I haven't tried before. Lele draws in Psychic-types which Volc can usually take advantage of. Kartana is a nice cleaner for the core, but personally I don't think the idea of two scarfers on this team is too effective, since the speed is already okay with Ash-Ninja + Latias. Mega Latias is nice for the team, but I'm not too sold on the moveset (i.e. why TWave when there's an Ash-Ninja + two scarfers?). Overall, the score reflects an interesting core idea and it is quite effective, but the essence suffers a bit from the aforementioned points.

1TL:

Creativity: 4/5
Effectiveness: 3/5

The sets for Ash-Ninja and Magearna are quite creative, and in his description he clearly labeled why he decided to pick these sets. Mega Gyarados is also ac reative pick for the team, so it gets a good creativity score. However, scarf Magearna feels a bit forced here and I think Specs might've fit better, provided that the team packs a lot of speed with Gren/Koko/Hawlucha/Lando-T. Essence suffers because although he tried to be creative, things like Icium Z on Gren aren't completely necessary (Hawlucha can setup in Bulu's face if it ever comes in vs Koko). Team is okay when it comes to being effective, but it doesn't synergyze as well as it could.

Volcano:

Essence: 3/5

Nothing too out of this world on the creativity part, but he does have Jirachi (a mon that I feel is a bit slept on atm) and Specs Torn. Usually, Specs Torn would be trash, but in this case it's pretty helpful in helping remove fat grasses for the core of Zygarde + Keldeo, so I feel like it's one of the instances where it fits in. This team incorporates the dish of triple choice decently with U-turn support, but it does still suffer from Specs Torn, for example (it's nice for removing Grass-types but still very easy to take advantage of). I was initially planning on giving it a 3/5 on effectiveness, but seeing as how he was able to win 2 matches, I bumped it up by one. e: changed it back to 3/5 since I'm going to keep the W/L completely out of my rates as well.

Ninjax:

Creativity: 2/5
Effectiveness: 3.5/5

Again, nothing too creative outside of Scarf Keldeo, which is frankly pretty bad in the current meta. Essence is in the middle because the dual scarfers cover up the slow nature of the team (TTar + Mage), but the team still shares a lot of common weaknesses which aren't covered as well as they could be (Koko, Heatran, Magearna, and others all wear this team down too easily and no safe way to bring in the choiced mons). For some reason, when I was using the team it actually ended up being more effective than I thought it would be. The weaknesses on paper weren't as bad during matches, and this bumped the effectiveness from 3 to 3.5

LL:

Creativity: 2/5
Essence: 4/5
Effectiveness: 5/5

The creativity is decent with Jirachi being picked again, but there was nothing out of the ordinary after that, so the score reflects that. The essence is the highest yet because the composition of the team is very solid, and the choiced Pokemon greatly appreciate the likes of Mawile / Gren / Bulu forcing a lot of switches in the metagame. I feel like overall this was the most effective team with it covering al ot of its weaknesses nicely (dual steels + fairy and grassy terrain is beneficial to everything bar Lati).

MultiA:

Creativity: 5/5
Effectiveness: 2/5

You never see Lycanroc but he justified using it as a suicide lead, bumping the creativity up. Pinsir is a mon that can be extremely effective if used correctly and definitely deserves some more love atm, so that also bumped the creativity up. Double Specs is a cool idea on the team, being able to take advantage of anything that really wants to switch-in vs Pinsir, and Scarf Lando with Defog supports Pinsir too. For an HO team, the essence isn't bad with the forced 3 choice users because of the recipe, but the team isn't really as effective when used as I thought it would be on paper, so the score reflects that.

Prisoner:

Creativity: 5/5
Effectiveness: 1.5/5

Not much to say here that hasn't been said already. Creativity is max because Alola-Goatlem is never seen and I also haven't seen too many TR teams (especially with Azu) lately. Essence would've been higher but the band on Golem felt forced to meet the criteria, and Band Bulu also isn't the greatest pick nowadays. Tried using this team and had little success, so effectiveness is low, although Magearna under TR is still hard to contain after Stakataka + Azu try breaking.

1TP:

The team is somewhat creative with the idea of Grass spam + Hawlucha, which is cool with Steel-types being the most common switch-in for the Grass core and Hawlucha taking advantage of this. Heatran & Zone benefit from the terrain, but I'm not sold on how Zone really fits here considering Heatran likes coming in vs Steels already. As the description mentions, Ash-Gren is also just thrown on at the end. Good potential, but falls just a bit short and lacks any real opportunity for switching with a "basic" FWG core (counting Gren, which can't switch into much).

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

is a Community Leaderis a Top Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
UU Leader
Please make sure you read the rules above in their entirety. Failure to comply with and/or follow the rules can disqualify you from participating for that episode. I will enforce this very strictly!

You do not have to post "in" to participate!

And now, for the second Secret Ingredient of the show...

Antibody

Type synergy is extremely important in a team, regardless of whether the team is offensive or defensive. For this Episode's secret ingredient, contestants must build a team that covers at least six total type immunities due to typing and/or abilities. For example: Landorus-T is immune to Ground- and Electric-types, and this provides the team with 2/6 immunities needed. Note: Shedinja is banned for this round.

The teambuilding part of this Episode will go on until Wednesday, January 31 @ 12 AM EST GMT -5. Participants must PM the team to me, the Chairman, otherwise they will not be accepted. The team must also include a description up to standard with the rules or else it will not be accepted. Do not post your team in the thread!

After the teambuilding phase, participants with approved teams will be mentioned in the thread and will be able to challenge the Iron Chefs.

Allez, cuisine!

Last edited:

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
...Time's up!

That wraps up the team building phase of this round. The contestants with their teams approved are shown below:

Jordy
1 True Lycan
1_TrickPhony
azogue
paoisd
Volcanoheadproduction(yt)
Lord Ninjax

Please keep in mind that most Iron Chefs have busy schedules (SPL, etc) and have willingly volunteered to help out by participating, so try your hardest to schedule around their availability. For reference, I have listed each of their time zones in the OP. You can only challenge each Iron Chef once per episode, and you don't have to challenge all of them if you don't feel the need to.

The deadline for the challenging phase will be approximately Sunday, February 4 @ 12 AM EST GMT -5. Good luck to all!

Indigo Plateau

UU Leader
Jordy
1 True Lycan
1_TrickPhony
azogue
Counting Sheep
paoisd
Lord Ninjax

Although the first point might not apply to all of you, I wanted to post a couple of quick things:

1) If you do not get at least one match done with your team, then your team will not be ineligible to pass to the voting phase.

2) The more games you play against the Iron Chefs, the better. I won't go into the specifics of scoring, but every single match you play (regardless of a win or loss) increases your overall score; in fact, a loss does not hurt you at all.

If you haven't played a match, do so before the deadline, and if you have played, try to play more. I'd be willing to shortly extend the deadline for people to complete a few more matches, but make sure you have at least one played, else I have to DQ you for the round.

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Sorry haven't been super active last week since it was the first week of school had a lot to organize, but if any of the chefs could shoot me a PM when they are on or just reply to this post that would be super appreciated. Ill try and keep a lookout for yall too!

1_TrickPhony

BSS Circuit Co-host
Got one vs Empo, took the L vs HQuaze after my blacephalon got pinged by a quick attack lopunny :(
GGs to you both, it was fun!

Edit: Apparently I broke an 8 game undefeated streak! Can't wait to show you all my team hopefully you all like it for when voting comes along :)

Last edited:
ive been lurking around during the week and i never saw any of the other chefs online (except london but he was busy), been looking for them on main and smogtours, if anyone knows where can i find them hmu!

ive been lurking around during the week and i never saw any of the other chefs online (except london but he was busy), been looking for them on main and smogtours, if anyone knows where can i find them hmu!
Been super busy this week but I've tried to drop in now and again and yeah, I haven't seen any of the chefs either. Will be on later tonight though so if any of the chefs are on pls hmu (or just lmk in this thread)

Note: smogtours keeps dcing me for some reason so I'll be on main

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)