ORAS OU Is my team ok for OU?

I just started competitive battling some days ago and this is the first team I have done, is it OK?

Drapion @ Black Sludge
Ability: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Toxic
- Toxic Spikes
- Protect
- Sludge Bomb

Drapion's role is a mix between wall and setup, its roll is to poison the target and setup the toxic spikes. I chose Drapion due to its only weakness being ground type. It has got Black Sludge as an item in case a Pokémon tries to steal it. My strategy with this Pokémon is, first setup toxic spikes, then toxic to poison the current Pokémon and then switching between protect and sludge bomb each turn.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Spikes
- Protect
- Explosion
- Stealth Rock

Ferrothorn is my physical wall, because it has got a really good physical defense, and I gave him leftovers so that is even more bulky. I also use it as a Setup using spikes/stealth rock, protect, and repeating that. In case I'm in touble, I use explosion. He's good for pretty much each type except fighting and, obviously, fire.

Florges-White @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Rest

Florges is a special tank due to its really high special defense and high special attack. I usually use it against fighting, dark and dragon types which, except for dark, are a problem for my team. I distributed its EVs between special attack and special defense, giving the rest to HP. It has got Moonblast to attack, Calm Mind to boost its two best stats and wish and rest to cure itself.

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Immunity
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Sleep Talk
- Rest
- Return
- Protect

Snorlax is my special wall because of its really high special defense stat. Although it has also got a really good attack, I decided to put in all the EVs into special defense and HP and the rest on Attack. He's good against pretty much every type except for fighting, and specially good against setups because of it ability immunity. I normally use it to make the turns pass
when my opponent is poisoned or burned.

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Skill Link
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Megahorn
- Close Combat
- Bulk Up
- Protect

I decided to go with Mega Heracross as a physical sweeper because of it having the second highest physical attack, right after Mega Mewtwo X. It has got a lot of weaknesses, but it is really strong and fast, so I use it when I want to kill a Pokémon really fast. I gave him Megahorn and Close Combat, which are really good attacks and Bulk Up to make his attack stat even higher. I usually don't use him with fire, fairy and psyquic types and I never use it against flying types because of its four times weakness.

Chandelure @ Life Orb
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hex
- Will-O-Wisp
- Shadow Ball

I chose Chandelure because I needed a special sweeper, and I thought Chandelure would fit perfectly because of the high special attack that it has. It's good for Pokémon with a really low special defense, and to counter fighting type Pokémon, which are really bad for the rest of my team. I gave it Shadow Ball and Fire Blast as attacking moves, Will-O-Wisp to burn the target and Hex to hit harder after burning or poisoning the target.

Last edited by a moderator:

IronBullet

Astronomy Domine
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Hi, welcome to Smogon! I'll have to lock your RMT as the forum rules require that you provide in-depth descriptions for each Pokemon to explain their roles. Please read the rules carefully and take a look at Team Showcase to see the level of detail we require. PM me with updated descriptions and I'll be happy to unlock this.

Edit: Reopened

Last edited:
Honestly if you're a new player then you should probably try out a pre-made team. There are lots of good ones posted everyday. After you get a feel of the meta then make a team.
Your team is well built for a beginner; I say remove Drapion and Florges, there not good in OU. Drapion's role is done better by a lot of pokemon, if you're looking for a toxic spkes user you can try Tentacruel it has good match up against Azumarill and keldeo(2 very powerful threats) plus it gives you rapid spin. Cofagrigus is also an option it can handle Mega Loppuny, Mega Medicham and mega Gallade plus set up toxic spikes.
Florges's job is done better by Clefable, Sylveon, Chansey or blissey, if you use Chansey you'll need a figting resist.

You should give choice scarf to your Chandelure, you're team's really slow you'll need it.

Also add leech seed over explosion on ferrothorn. Leech seed + protect can annoy a lot of mons.

You can also add sp.defensive bulk up Talonflame over Snorlax it's a really good pokemmon this gen. if you do that you should change Chandelure to Choice scarf Keldeo.

Good luck with your team, wish you well on your future endeavors :)

PS: There's a smogon tutor program you can sign up for it if you want.

On Florges change Wish for Sleep Talk or Rest for Protect, because having both is redundant and wastes a move slot which is very dangerous in OU, another option would be to go with a standard CM Clefable set. With Snorlax get rid of protect it is entirely useless because you have Immunity for Poison and Rest for everything else, instead go with curse to boost its Attack and Defense even more, the Speed drop is negligible because of Snorlax's already poor speed. With Heracross a better moveset would be
-Close Combat/Bullet Seed
-Pin Missile
-Rock Blast
-Substitute/Swords Dance
Pin Missile does more damage than than Megahorn thanks to Skill Link and it also has higher accuracy Rock Blast is for coverage Close Combat/Bullet Seed is for damage or more coverage and Substitute/Swords Dance is for longevity or damage. The final thing I would have to say is that Drapion is pretty lackluster from my experience and a better poison type would be Tentacruel imo.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)