Media itt: movie/film discussion - Beware Spoilers

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
this is neat because on my birthday (oct 26) i always remake my top 25 films list, even though it's becoming increasingly possible to order let alone choose which films make the list: here

Crash (Cronenberg)
Heat (Mann)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Hooper)
The Matrix (Wachowskis)
Angel's Egg (Oshii)
The Matrix Revolutions (Wachowskis)
Ghost in the Shell (Oshii)
Knock at the Cabin (Shyamalan)
Cléo from 5 to 7 (Varda)
House (Obayashi)
Rehearsals for Retirement (Solomon)
New Rose Hotel (Ferrara)
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer)
Cat Soup (Sato)
Miami Vice (Mann)
Melancholia (von Trier)
Halloween II (Zombie)
Gummo (Korine)
Spirited Away (Miyazaki)
American Psycho (Harron)
Runaway (Kanye West)
Sherlock, Jr. (Keaton)
Trainspotting (Boyle)
The End of Evangelion (Anno)
Hana-bi (Kitano)

spent most of the year focusing on tv anime and such (and i'll spare y'all the thoughts on those lol), so didn't see as many movies as i'd liked. nonetheless, i still managed to see so many beautiful films, and discovering myself and some of my favorite directors in the process. more than ever i'm convinced movies are sacred, magical things and that it's something worth living for

my first time watches that i've hit with a 5/5 this year, in watching order:
- videodrome (cronenberg); so dense, atmospheric, and fascinatingly philosophical that after the credits it felt like 8 hours had just passed. it's the experience i only really get from binging a book, except in cinema form. but cronenberg's work remains so wonderfully grotesque that it's a joy to watch also
- king of new york, the addiction, new rose hotel, bad lieutenant (ferrara); formalist excellence within sleazy frameworks, few things more poignant than king of new york's ending, more visceral than the addiction's graduation party, more prescient than new rose hotel (my favorite review ive ever written), or deeply moving as bad lieutenant's apparition of christ. very wounded, intimate, spiritual, conflicted etc. a remarkably rewarding filmmaker and i cannot help but commend a man who bleeds himself and all of his faults upon his own canvas
- the passion of joan of arc (dreyer); one of the most spiritual experiences i've ever had, genuinely has remained with me for months. joan being burned at the stake could be considered the best scene of all time, and it was made in 1928. they'd solved the movies back then everything we got after is just bonus tbh.
- knock at the cabin (shyamalan); in a year and decade where homophobic and transphobic sentiment is on the rise, where queer people are getting increasingly endangered in the US, where it feels like the apocalypse is perpetually right around the corner, where all feels truly lost, knock at the cabin was such a revelatory and important movie that asserted that we're always going to be here, we're always going to matter, we will always persist. it's a queer movie that acknowledges all that is lost but all that can and still will flourish; an assertion that we deserve to live even in times where it gets so difficult to believe that. a declaration of love from shyamalan, cried so much over this
- digimon adventure (hosoda); won't talk about this too much but hikari struggling and fighting so so hard to save the friend she'd made just earlier in the day just makes me sob man

movies i saw in cinemas this year:
- shoplifters (kore-eda; obviously good while not exactly my speed, sakura ando might be the best actress nobody talks about)
- m3gan (cringe)
- creed iii (potent cinema, quite hopeful about mbj's future directorial career)
- fast x (real cinema, from the flame to the kid to the nos to the dom to the cross to the bicep through the fucking car. real cinema is fucking back)
mission impossible dead reckoning part one (funny how a movie warning about the spooky AI might as well have been made by AI)
- oppenheimer (visceral and a behemoth, turned me into a nolan believer)
- barbie (i turned around and saw all of the teenage girls in the theater crying, like damn. whatever i can say about how shallow i find its feminism has to be offset by the fact this is probably the first time all of those teenagers found representation and catharsis through film, and that's ultimately what it's about to me. + immaculate production design and ryan gosling swept)
- killers of the flower moon (more qualified people have spoken about the decision to focus on ernest burkhart over mollie -- i think it undercuts some of its potential, as scorsese seems to struggle to balance ernest's filmic arc and the very real and very serious ramifications of the Osage's killings -- but its admirable that its been made regardless)

other things i wanna talk about a bit:
- watched a few de palma's this year. great movies but the one that stuck with me most is blow out (ending; nsfw). jesus christ man. i think the montage scene assembling the crash's pictures and sound together is one of the most essential scenes in film history. de palma remains underrated; capable of mending fierce political expression with formalist (re-)construction. and then u got shit like snake eyes which is just a pure fun sugar rush so who knows
- twilight baseball scene. sickly blue filter gives a persistent feeling of cold and wetness in some forgotten bumfuck part of the US where nothing ever happens. awful awkward stilted conversations between people who are experiencing these feelings for the first time. such a fascinating document and depiction of contemporary youth novel aesthetics/being an edgy high schooler. can't help but be sucked into its forgettable mundanity and its subsequent suspension thereof, climbing through treetops and exploring a world totally unknown like bella does. so it's unstylish and lame and every line is difficult to get through (though very funny in retrospect, like how we laugh at the cringey we used to say) but that doesn't make twilight bad; it makes twilight all the better!
- looking for an angel. queer people die too much
- i understand why southland tales is so divisive (though i think its aesthetics of screens-within-screens causing information overload is incredibly inventive and prescient) but even then its ending gotta be so undeniable, "i forgive you" (nsfw) being one of those things that have sat with me all year
- miami vice (2006) is unreal. colin farrell gives one of the best performances in film history here. painting with digital. fucking unbelievable
- im too tired to write more but please watch rehearsals for retirement by phil solomon. perfect movie in just 12 minutes, perfect editing cinematography storytelling through visuals further developing the medium through a deeply personal way
- my goal for this year is to watch at least the movies in this list, though i may deviate from it

ignore the top 4 labels (its for picking letterboxd favorites, i wanted to change my lineup every month but i fell off halfway through the year)

i'm still at the start of my journey through cinema and it's so exciting. i already love it so much and i can only feel my love for the movies grow each passing year. god bless. wishing y'all another wonderful year with the movies, may you find a bunch of new favorites. thank you bkc for tagging :toast:

!! loving all these write-ups, seems like everyone's had a very cinephilic year

fave first-watches this year:

Adieu Philippine (Jacques Rozier, 1962) - plotless by design, a sprawl of shaggydogs and blind alleys, as if the narrative itself can't decide what it wants to be, held together through thrilling musicality, through rozier's bravura, through the weight of all there is yet to come. takes on an enormous degree of potency knowing this time that he captures has passed: everything is so real, so fierce in its realness, and so transient, too.

Fat Girl (Catherine Breillat, 2001) - possibly the most intense, stomach-churning film i've ever seen. ridiculously visceral, unapologetic examination of male entitlement, sisterhood dynamics, the desire to be liberated and the revulsion regarding how exactly to go about that. off-kilter in all the right ways, from the incongruous music cue to the dread-inducing drive back to that seemingly outta-nowhere ending. no straight answers: just brutal, glorious finality. horror film through and through.

(also went on a bit of a breillat kick w/ this year's LAST SUMMER and her debut A REAL YOUNG GIRL, the latter being barnstormingly brilliant)

Baxter, Vera Baxter (Marguerite Duras, 1977) - maybe my favourite use of non-diegetic music in a film ever: the backing track to centuries of stolen agency. boxy compositions of a mansion stripped of its decadence, now a home for apparitions to wander around in. silhouettes glowing against a pale sky, or caught in reflections. cuts to landscapes so empty and lonely that they can only compound the oppressive interiority. this film is extremely my shit --- the dialogue is often impenetrable but i don't think duras minds, she applies such a rhythm to what is essentially two extended conversations that i felt *everything* regardless. also, bit of a tangent but this film reminds me of when i was couchsurfing round a friend's in brussels last november and she insisted on playing the same song on repeat at 2am as she worked on her uni project while i was trying to sleep. anyway.

Other great non-2023 releases i've seen this year have been An Autumn Tale (Rohmer, 1998), Tropical Malady (Weerasethakul, 2004), and Spirited Away (Miyazaki, 2001)

In terms of 2023 releases, I'd put my current top 10 as this (yes i'm very aware most of these aren't 2023 releases but hey life has been hectic):

1. De Humani Corporis Fabrica
2. Saint Omer
3. The Girl and the Spider
4. Unrest
5. Falcon Lake
6. Skinamarink
7. Rotting in the Sun
8. MI7: Dead Reckoning Part 1 (glad to see everyone here is a fan of this one)
9. Godland
10. Asteroid City

other films i liked this year: Last Summer, Anatomy of a Fall, Club Zero, Killers of the Flower Moon, Bottoms
films i thought were just fine: Oppenheimer, They Cloned Tyrone, Spiderverse 2, Dungeons and Dragons, John Wick 4, Afire, Passages
films that were uhh not great: The Royal Hotel, Barbie, GotG 3, Knock at the Cabin
films that kinda sucked: No One Will Save You, Haunting in Venice, No Hard Feelings, Indiana Jones 5, Beau is Afraid, Past Lives, Infinity Pool

also not sure too much has changed w/ this list but here's my top 20 all time (changes every day though)
1. Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters (Schrader, 1985)
2. A Summer's Tale (Rohmer, 1996)
3. Playtime (Tati, 1967)
4. I Knew Her Well (Pietrangeli, 1965)
5. Les Rendez-vous d'Anna (Akerman, 1978)
6. Man With a Movie Camera (Vertov, 1929)
7. House of Tolerance (Bonello, 2011)
8. 2001: A Space Odyssey (Kubrick, 1968)
9. Ratcatcher (Ramsay, 1999)
10. Adieu Philippine (Rozier, 1962)
11. The Aviator's Wife (Rohmer 1981)
12. 35 Rhums (Denis, 2008)
13. Dillinger is Dead (Ferreri, 1969)
14. Red Desert (Antonioni, 1964)
15. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (Greenaway, 1989)
16. Woman in the Dunes (Teshigahara, 1964)
17. Inherent Vice (PTA, 2014)
18. Airplane! (Various, 1980)
19. The Naked Island (Shindo, 1960)
20. The Passion of Joan of Arc (Dreyer, 1928)

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's November 1st! My favorite month is finally here! And thus, so is another round of our yearly movie round-ups!!!

Of course, before I get to that, I must link this post about my own adventures in making a movie...please do check it out: https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/i-made-a-movie-kinda.3730604/#post-9842728

ANYWAY, I didn't have much as much of a Hooptober this time around--I wound up with less than half of last year's total, though I did see some great stuff of course--so I'll skip the "writeups" of last year in favor of a sparser approach. Also, I did start the month with a rewatch of The Texas Chain Saw Massacre. Ya gotta. Classic Leatherface and his wacky shenanigans. I still have a few Hoopers I gotta get to (Mortuary, Poltergeist, Night Terrors)...but he's really become a favorite of mine.

1. Djinn (2013, Hooper) - had some characteristically great Hooper ideas--the midpoint is generally solid--but overall the whole thing is too TV movie-drenched. Much better than it would've been in anyone else's hands but still not exactly good
2. Salem's Lot (1980, Hooper) - watched the full miniseries cut, surprised by how much it dragged, and I ultimately found it to lack bite (ha)
3. The Damned Thing (2006, Hooper) - now this was more like it! Genuinely unsettling and nasty all the way through
4. Sleepaway Camp (1983, Hiltzik) - speaking of nasty, this was surprising in that regard with how cruel all the kids were. Pretty decent
5. Shocker (1989, Craven) - liked a lot! This is far too underrated, Craven was really in the zone here
6. Ravenous (1999, Bird) - tonally strange, ultimately liked it decently enough, though it took a while to catch on to what it was doing (less horrifying than you'd expect, more snowy and atmospheric than you'd expect)
7. Body Parts (1991, Red) - liked a lot, very fun slasher riff on Cronenberg or something
8. Murder Party (2007, Saulnier) - not great but ultimately charming in its heart
9. The Undertaker (1988, Steffanino) - liked a lot, grimy slasher in the vein of Maniac and such
10. Loft (2005, K. Kurosawa) - the best horror I saw all month, Kiyoshi masterfully doing what he does best and really dragging out the pace to wonderful effect, everything is firing on all cylinders here
11. The Scary of Sixty-First (2021, Nekrasova) - wonderful 16mm cinematography in an exploitation horror riff on Eyes Wide Shut, very fun
12. The Love Witch (2016, Biller) - liked the ideas, less so the bloated execution of everything beyond how it looked
13. Knife + Heart (2018, Gonzalez) - very solid modern giallo with a much more personal impact than most in the genre, the ending is particularly excellent and the whole thing looks incredible
14. Train to Busan (2016, Yeon) - a blast! I'm not normally a fast zombie guy but this brings the intensity so nicely I didn't mind
15. Kill List (2011, Wheatley) - had to cleanse Meg 2 from my system somehow...anyway I'm not sure about how the ending fits (though in and of itself it is good) but overall this is quite good and takes a really interesting approach throughout
16. Aenigma (1987, Fulci) - started stronger than it finished so overall just decent, but has some really great atmosphere and camerawork going on
17. Def by Temptation (1990, Bond III) - feverish mix of joyous fun and devilish intensity, also looks absolutely amazing
18. The Howling (1981, Dante) - this was really great, and I think I prefer it to its most common point of comparison, An American Werewolf in London. Should be much more well-regarded!

So now, since for many of us, our top 40/50/whatever isn't changing (that much, anyway, and if anything it's just growing more and more--though maybe I'm just speaking for myself), I once again invite everyone to post their favorite things they've seen over the past year! Of course, if you want to post your top (insert number here), I have no objections.

Personally, I limited myself to that which I gave a 9 or 10 out of 10--assigning numbers to this stuff can of course be incredibly silly (and I easily could've added MANY more films which I loved similarly), but is basically my necessary arbitrary cutoff so I don't list literally hundreds more things I really enjoyed...I have seen a lot (too much) since last November 1st. I also did more director binges than I've done in the past, hence why a lot of names appear repeatedly and in close proximity! For my own sake/time, I had to stop myself from writing about all of these...though maybe I will come back to them and describe (some of) the impact they've had on me.

1. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974, Peckinpah)
2. Le bonheur (1965, Varda)
3. Shallow Grave (1994, Boyle)
4. Mean Streets (1973, Scorsese)
5. All That Jazz (1979, Fosse)
6. The Story of the Last Chrysanthemum (1939, Mizoguchi)
7. White Material (2009, Denis)
8. Long Day's Journey Into Night (2018, Bi)
9. The Searchers (1956, Ford)
10. Coach to Vienna (1966, Kachyňa)
11. Bad Lieutenant (1992, Ferrara)
12. The Battle of Algiers (1966, Pontecorvo)
13. A City of Sadness (1989, Hou)
14. Flowers of Shanghai (1998, Hou)
15. The Assassin (2015, Hou)
16. Millennium Mambo (2001, Hou)
17. My Heart Is That Eternal Rose (1989, Tam)
18. Lifeforce (1985, Hooper)
19. The Last Wave (1977, Weir)
20. The Headless Woman (2008, Martel)
21. La ciénaga (2001, Martel)
22. Diary of a Country Priest (1951, Bresson)
23. The Parallax View (1974, Pakula)
24. Koyaanisqatsi (1982, Reggio)
25. A Short Film About Love (1988, Kieslowski)
26. A Short Film About Killing (1988, Kieslowski)
27. The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant (1972, Fassbinder)
28. Céline and Julie Go Boating (1974, Rivette)
29. Amsterdamned (1988, Maas)
30. Sunset Blvd (1950, Wilder)
31. India Song (1975, Duras)
32. Vive l'amour (1994, Tsai)
33. Kagemusha (1980, A. Kurosawa)
34. Abhijan (1962, Ray)
35. Skinamarink (2022, Bell)
36. Toute une nuit (1982, Akerman)
37. The Last Days of Disco (1998, Stillman)
38. The Leopard (1963, Visconti)
39. McCabe & Mrs. Miller (1971, Altman)
40. Le deuxieme souffle (1966, Melville)
41. Dersu Uzala (1975, A. Kurosawa)
42. Kiss Me Deadly (1955, Aldrich)
43. Vampyr (1932, Dreyer)
44. In a Lonely Place (1950, N. Ray)
45. The Murder of Mr. Devil (1970, Krumbachová)
46. Canal (1957, Wajda)
47. Tokyo Sonata (2008, K. Kurosawa)
48. Scenes from a Marriage (1974, Bergman)
49. Rififi (1955, Dassin)
50. Le cercle rouge (1970, Melville)
51. Landscape in the Mist (1988, Angelopoulos)
52. Stray Dogs (2013, Tsai)
53. The Piano Teacher (2001, Haneke)
54. Army of Shadows (1969, Melville)
55. Tár (2022, Field)
56. Rear Window (1954, Hitchcock)
57. Play It As It Lays (1972, Perry)
58. Short Cuts (1993, Altman)
59. Lilja 4-ever (2002, Moodysson)
60. Once Upon a Time in America (1984, Leone)
61. Tie Xi Qu: West of the Tracks (2002, Wang)
62. Angel Dust (1994, Ishii)
63. Earth (1930, Dovzhenko)
64. The Cook, the Thief, His Wife & Her Lover (1989, Greenaway)
65. Fires on the Plain (1959, Ichikawa)
66. La captive (2000, Akerman)
67. Wings (1966, Shepitko)
68. Under the Blossoming Cherry Trees (1975, Shinoda)
69. Pale Flower (1964, Shinoda)
70. Ulysses' Gaze (1995, Angelopoulos)
71. Barry Lyndon (1975, Kubrick)
72. A Spring for the Thirsty (1965, Illienko)
73. Salto (1965, Konwicki)
74. Badlands (1973, Malick)
75. A Page of Madness (1926, Kenosuga)
76. A Touch of Zen (1971, King)
77. Himiko (1974, Shinoda)
78. Black God, White Devil (1964, Rocha)
79. Pastoral: To Die in the Country (1974, Terayama)
80. This Transient Life (1970, Jissoji)
81. Across 110th Street (1972, Shear)
82. Eureka (2000, Aoyama)
83. Ganja & Hess (1973, Gunn)
84. Songs from the Second Floor (2000, Andersson)
85. L'intrus (2004, Denis)
86. Platform (2000, Zhangke)
87. Drop Dead Gorgeous (1999, Jann)
88. Variety (1983, Gordon)
89. Goyokin (1969, Gosha)
90. Samurai Assassin (1965, Okamoto)
91. Patlabor 2 (1993, Oshii)
92. Take Out (2004, Baker / Tsou)
93. In a Year with 13 Moons (1978, Fassbinder)
94. The Wages of Fear (1953, Clouzot)
95. Diabolique (1955, Clouzot)
96. The Mother and the Whore (1973, Eustache)
97. The Amazonian Angel (1992, Klonaris / Thomadaki)
98. Until the End of the World (1991, Wenders)
99. Perfect Days (2023, Wenders)
100. Mandala (1971, Jissoji)
101. Ordet (1955, Dreyer)
102. Face to Face (1976, Bergman) - I had to make an exception for this, which stands head and shoulders above as the single best film I've seen all year. Cinema at its most powerful and harrowing. I genuinely felt indecent watching Liv Ullman go to the horrible places she went--I can't recall anything else in recent memory that provoked anything close to resembling the reaction this one got out of me. I can only attribute its lack of regard as among Bergman's best due to its relative obscurity--it is quite difficult to find--but I cannot emphasize enough how incredible it is. Please seek it out, and just as you would with Scenes from a Marriage/Fanny & Alexander, the extended TV cut is the only way to go, especially since it's still only in the ballpark of three hours.
103. tokyo.sora (2002, Ishikawa)
104. Fanny and Alexander (1982, Bergman)
105. World on a Wire (1973, Fassbinder)
106. Devi (1960, S. Ray)
107. Su-ki-da (2006, Ishikawa)
108. Soleil Ô (1970, Hondo)
109. Night and the City (1950, Dassin)
110. The Girls (1968, Zetterling)
111. Taipei Story (1985, Yang)
112. Places in Cities (1998, Schanelec)
113. Petite maman (2021, Sciamma)
114. La vérité (1960, Clouzot)
115. La prisonnière (1968, Clouzot)
116. The Days Between (2001, Speth)
117. Z (1969, Costa-Gavras)
118. The Sun in a Net (1962, Uher)
119. Dragon's Return (1968, Grečner)
120. The Holy Girl (2004, Martel)
121. The Wind Will Carry Us (1999, Kiarostami)
122. Out of the Past (1947, Tourneur)
123. Nostos: The Return (1989, Piavoli)
124. A Day Off (1968, Lee)
125. Berlin Alexanderplatz (1980, Fassbinder)
126. The Weeping Meadow (2004, Angelopoulos)
127. Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion (1970, Petri)
128. No Home Movie (2015, Akerman)
129. Dreams (1955, Bergman)
130. Summer Interlude (1951, Bergman)
131. They Live By Night (1948, N. Ray)
132. Pickup on South Street (1953, Fuller)
133. Our Daily Bread (1970, Kaul)
134. Deep Cover (1992, Duke)
135. At the First Breath of Wind (2002, Piavoli)
136. The War is Over (1966, Resnais)
137. Devil in a Blue Dress (1995, Franklin)
138. Killers of the Flower Moon (2023, Scorsese)
139. Cleo from 5 to 7 (1962, Varda)
140. Bigger Than Life (1956, N. Ray)
141. Underworld USA (1961, Fuller)
142. My Night at Maud's (1969, Rohmer)
143. A Face in the Crowd (1957, Kazan)

As for 2023 releases, Perfect Days is my favorite so far--utterly sublime stuff, Wenders really is amazing--and Killers of the Flower Moon is not far behind. I was utterly absorbed to the point where I would've watched another hour, easily. I can't praise it enough, but I want to highlight the ending as particularly astonishing.

I also very much enjoyed Anatomy of a Fall, Kore-eda's Monster, and the new Mission Impossible, which I think is the best in the series. As a huge fan of Under the Skin/Glazer in general, I cannot wait to see The Zone of Interest.

col49 trc BIHI Tomahawk mathsman 5imian Eagle4 ryo yamada2001 and of course anyone else who feels like posting--please share your favorites of the past year, this October, all-time, whatever. I love reading these and, as always, adding to my never-ending watchlist!

CINEMA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ayo, I also watched Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia this year. I have a friend who is into westerns like that, and I have a soft-spot for 'unconventional' movie titles. Like 'Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives'. How can you pass up watching a movie with a title like that?

Also, anyone else excited for Ridley Scott's Napoleon? Finally a film for us short kings.

I watched The Boy and the Heron today. It was very nice. I see a lot of people being confused by the movie and overwhelmed by the variety of topics it covers, but I think when you approach the movie as more of an experience instead of a conventional story, it works very wonderfully. It just makes intuitive sense, even if it's logically rather difficult to break down

Not my favorite Miyazaki movie, but very well made

ZippyDoo200

Banned deucer.
Godzilla Minus One was really overrated in my opinion. The acting of the male lead, story, cinematography, and presence of Godzilla was fantastic, but I have serious issues with how the character's progression was written.

The female love interest has LITERALLY NO personality or character. The way the whole family dynamic comes together while still maintaining the female protag's "purity" was so typical of Japanese stories. It's bad character writing even separate from it's gross reflection of reality.
Also finally in the end, the male Protag can live happily ever after and "claim" the girl since she's still alive. If this trope doesn't bother you then more power to you.

Still an alright movie though. But the characters are way way too weak to make it anything but alright. In my opinion.

The only other movie I watched in 2023 was "Leave the World Behind." Which is really the ONLY movie you need to watch, ever. Not that it was "perfect" but it was meaningful and potentially prophetic.

Myzozoa

to find better ways to say what nobody says
is a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
It's been too long since I posted itt.

The main reason is that I have now reached the point in my life where I fall asleep if I try to watch movies a lot of times. So take all of these reviews w a grain of salt.

Leave the World Behind 7/10

The premise is basically that Julia Roberts' character takes her NYC-rooted family out to the suburbs to an Airbnb one weekend, at the same time America is attacked in such a way that all communications get cut and maybe power gets lost idr. That same night, a man and his daighter arrive claiming to be the owners of the house and asking for shelter as America has been attacked and cities are in chaos. There is survival and psychological drama between the 2 families and survivalist themes as the characters observe signs (planes falling out of the sky) that the current economic order is collapsing. Often times the narrative of an attack on America comes through in dialogues espousing what are essentially paranoid fantasies of a foreign attack on America, a country w military installations in 100s of countries, by China and Iran supposedly. By the end of the film, the main characters speculate that it is actually a domestic coup aimed at replacing the American government, with leaflets being dropped from the sky in arabic and chinese being meant to confuse people and cause chaos in order to create a new order out of it. At the very end, as NYC is seen w multiple mushroom clouds, the young daughter of Roberts' character just wanders off to watch the last episode of friends. I recommend this movie pretty highly even though it doesn't sound that exciting because it has a meaningful commentary on how people compartmentalize and try to escape into denial or paranoia as our world crumbles from climate change and our society becomes more brutal and divided. We just watch more netflix like the little girl at the end.

The Innocents 8/10

This is a movie about children developing telepathic powers in the Scandinavian 24 hour sun time of year. They do really horrifying things with these powers hence the term 'The Innocents' the movie calls into question how innocent children really are. Do they really not understand? Really? I have to warn you this movie depicts very disturbing things and is a wildly successful psychological horror. Interesting horror setting with the 24 hour sun, isn't that quite horrifying in some ways, to never have day turn to night? Definitely recommend if this genre is your jam and you don't mind subtitles.

No One Will Save You (6/10)

Kind of a weird one. Basically this girl is a pariah in the town because she killed her friend as a child. Aliens invade the town and she tries to defend herself. Eventually the aliens use their powers to take control of all the townspeople, using them to attack the protagonist. Eventually they catch her but after probing her memories they decide to release her and she resumes her life in the town w the aliens controlling the townspeople and making them be nice to her. Some weird shit for a plot, but this one is worth watching if ur a nerd because there is no dialogue and because it is p scary and because it is a p good set-up.

It Follows (9/10)
This one will fuck you up. The premise is that a stalker haunts this world, following one person to kill them at a time. The only way to escape it once it comes after you is to have sex with someone, who it will then go after. If it kills that person, it will then go after you again. So basically if you get it going after you gotta have sex with someone and then get them to have sex w another person asap too. Really good set-up, super scary and just all around good film. Don't wanna get too into it cause it's not v fresh in my mind, this was my Halloween movie this year <3.

Bottoms (8/10)

A movie about high school lesbians starting a fight club to try to get w more girls. It's pretty slick and self aware, but why is it called Bottoms? No one will ever know or remember. Not very fresh in my mind so again not going to get into the weeds about it, just a very funny movie.

Talk to Me 8/10

Another horror film that succeeds on a psychological level by depicting the innocence of children as vicious. It has many other elements.The basic premise is that kids get a hold of an artifact that lets you communicate w the dead, but if you use it for too long they'll come to take you away with them. One of the main characters obsesses w using the artifact to communicate with her dead mother causing the spirits to come for her and others around her.

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hijacking this thread for the
92nd Annual Chimpcademy Awards!!!
As you can see, all the greatest stars are out on the red carpet.
redcarp.png

Presenting the awards tonight we have special guest.....

Nicole Kidman!
1704377514914.png

We come to the Chimpcademy Awards to laugh, to cry, to care. Because we need that, all of us. That indescribable feeling we get as the lights begin to dim and we go somewhere we've never been before. Not just entertained, but somehow reborn together. Dazzling images on a huge silver screen, sound that I can feel. Somehow, heartbreak feels good in a place like this. Our heroes feel like the best part of us, and stories feel perfect and powerful.

Because here...

They are.

Without further ado, let's present the Chimpcademy's nominees and winners for this 2023. (See the ranking below for all the eligible films)

cc1.png

and the award goes to....

ROBERT DE NIRO!!! :quagchamppogsire: :quagchamppogsire: :quagchamppogsire:

cc2.png

and the award goes to....

LILY GLADSTONE!! :bat::bat: :bat:

cc3.png

This award spans the whole animal kingdom, from primates to felines to avians. But which will come out on top of the food chain?
The award goes to....

Lylla!!! (the Chimpcademy had to beat the monkey bias allegations)

cc4.png

This category is a little out there, it's for things that are cool and made the Chimpcademy go "woah! cool!" ranging from decapitated heads to allegories for the universality of death and cool CGI.

And the award goes to.....

THE PUSS IN BOOTS WOLF :bellipog: :bellipog: :bellipog:

Screenshot 2024-01-02 7.10.44 PM.png

Our last award for the night!!! We have many great directors, including two Palme d'Or winners! Our nominees range from ol' Marty for bringing the story of the Osage murders to the big screen to Julia Ducournau for bringing the story of the sex with a car to the big screen.

And the award goes to....

Martin Scorcese!!!!! :totodiLUL: :totodiLUL: :totodiLUL:

Anyway here is my 2023 rankings from most favorite to least favorite ok bye hope you enjoyed the show

Skinamarink
Manchester By the Sea
The Blair Witch Project
Nope
The Boy and the Heron
Spirited Away
Reservoir Dogs
Puss in Boots: The Last Wish
Raging Bull
Grave of Fireflies
Killers of the Flower Moon
Hoop Dreams
Breaking Bad
Barton Fink
The Big Lebowski
The Shawshank Redemption
Gladiator
Middleditch & Schwartz
Little Miss Sunshine
Asteroid City
Glass Onion
12 Angry Men
Inside Out
Howl's Moving Castle
Spiderman: Across the Spiderverse
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia
The Ballad of Buster Scruggs
Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives
I Think You Should Leave
The Whale
Titane
Guardians of the Galaxy v.3
The Princess Bride
Dungeons & Dragons: Honour Among Thieves
My Neighbor Totoro
Wallace & Gromit: The Wrong Trousers
Another Round
Fight Club
Psycho
Ocean's 11
Zootopia
The Hunger Games: A Ballad of Songbirds & Snakes
Five Nights at Freddy's
Clue
The Dark Crystal
Napoleon
Knock at the Cabin
Missing Link
The Super Mario Bros. Movie
Barbie in the Nutcracker
Joy Ride
V For Vendetta
Cocaine Bear

Attachments

The Innocents 8/10

This is a movie about children developing telepathic powers in the Scandinavian 24 hour sun time of year. ... Interesting horror setting with the 24 hour sun, isn't that quite horrifying in some ways, to never have day turn to night?
Insomnia (1997) uses this setting incredibly well, and is excellent in its own right!

Due to my own poor (?) choices, I now live with my parents, which is mostly bad but it means that I consume a lot more films. Here are the films I saw recently that I thought were notable:

The Thing: Completely genius premise. I wish it emphasized the psychological horror that comes with not trusting your teammates rather than having the rubbery monster pop up every 15 minutes. Still amazing. 3/5.

Alien: After watching and being impressed by The Thing, I was excited to see how the other classic horror film, "Alien" held up. I thought it was ass. It made me laugh with how stupid and absurd it was. 1/5.

Sunshine: This film from Danny Boyle (Trainspotting guy) does both Alien and Interstellar better than each of those films does themself. It probably overtakes 2001 as my favorite "space" film. It's very good at evoking the inherent lovecraftian horror of the sun while still having characters that act like astronauts. Super underrated. 5/5.

The Graduate: I loved this film. The first half dozen scenes are among the funniest things I've ever watched -- shoutout to the shot of Benjamin in the pool. A deserved classic. 4/5.

Memento: This film is probably top 5 OAT for me. I'm a sucker for any piece of fiction that plays with the idea of memory, and Memento does it excellently. My other favorite "memory" fiction is "There is no Antimemetics Division" which you can read here: https://scp-wiki.wikidot.com/antimemetics-division-hub. 5/5.

The World's End: This is the third film in the trilogy that starts with "Shaun of the Dead" and "Hot Fuzz". I thought it was the best of the three, although all three are amazing. I feel it's a film that needs to be watched without knowing what it's about. 5/5.

Coraline: More suited to animation than maybe any other film I've ever watched. It's a film about a child but meant to be enjoyed by adults. 4/5.

My Dinner With Andre: Andre is "improvisational" in his worldview, and yet he insists on monologuing that worldview rather than having a conversation with Wallace, which is the least improvisational thing imaginable. 3/5.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)