Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o Discussion

its a decent fighting stab on either spectrum and a couple of coverage moves from being solid. It has every set up move it could ask for, it has the typing, its just missing the damaging moves.

If it has landed Shell Smash, somehow, we are looking at a decent pokemon

As it stands its set up move pool, stats and solid abilities guarantee it UU at least

Very mediocre and disappointing. The argument that 'it can setup in so many different ways!!!' is eclipsed by the fact that there are other, more specialized Pokemon that can setup more effectively in a specific category. For example, if I want a dragon dance sweeper for my OU team, why not pick Dragonite? It has a comparable movepool and coverage, much more power, and more setup opportunities due to roost and multiscale. If I want a mixed wallbreaker, I'll just use Hydreigon, which has similar coverage, recovery, u-turn and higher speed. Also having no decent physical fighting STAB is a joke -- it is literally walled by type which its secondary typing exists to beat (steel types).

This is really a case of a jack of all trades, master of none type of Pokemon. These Pokemon are never that good because they are always outclassed by a more specific and specialized Pokemon that can perform a role more effectively. At least Goodra has a new friend to cry with.
Well one reason is because Dragon/ Fighting is much better coverage than Dragon/ Flying, plus it can run Poison Jab to deal with any non-Steel fairy. It's weird that people are treating this like a sweeper IMO. It's a bulky Dragon. It's got some very useful resistances. If I run this I'll probably go:

Kommo-o@ Leftovers / Chesto
Overcoat/ Sound Proof
Impish / Relaxed
252 HP / 154 Def / 108 Atk
~ Bulk Up
~ Taunt/ Toxic
~ Dragon Tail
~ Brick Break / Sky Uppercut / Focus Blast / Rest

Hydreigon never had a "reign of terror". Tyranitar was always good but not broken. Garchomp and Salamence...yeah, you got me there xD
Hydreigon had no reliable switch ins besides physically defensive chansey in gen 5. It was an amazing pokemon that was harshly nerfed in gen 6 thanks to GF's ignorance.

Last edited:
The only thing I really have to say about this is that Soundproof is clearly the superior ability out of all its choices, notably being able to block Pixilate Hyper Voice as well as Boomburst (RIP Swellow, Chatot, and Exploud), Parting Shot, and acting a check to all the random Quiver Dancing Bug Buzz users.

Hydreigon had no reliable switch ins in gen 5. It was an amazing pokemon that was harshly nerfed in gen 6 thanks to GF's ignorance.
Not ignorance, it's them purposefully nerfing the Dragon typing because of how RIDICULOUS it was. Calling it ignorance is stupid. If anything it's them replacing Dragon with a type that's arguably even more toxic, which is what I dislike even if they're easier to deal with in doubles.

Not ignorance, it's them purposefully nerfing the Dragon typing because of how RIDICULOUS it was. Calling it ignorance is stupid. If anything it's them replacing Dragon with a type that's arguably even more toxic, which is what I dislike even if they're easier to deal with in doubles.
Every single dragon type you would argue as ridiculous was answered easily during gen 5. For instance salamence, dragonite, and garchomp were easy to ohko thanks to mamoswine and weavile. Hydreigon was cut down quickly thanks to it's lackluster speed as well as it's 4 common weaknesses so terrakion and faster dragons cut it down. The latis were stopped by chansey who could simply cripple them with t wave and wear them down with seismic toss. Ferrothorn in rain could also stop the lati's rampage with thunder wave, and would not need rain if the lati was lacking hidden power fire. Kyurem - b was quickly worn down by stealth rocks, was easily revenge killed, and had 4 weaknesses to abuse. I had no issues with the type you deem as OP, yet GF knowing there were ways to deal with these pokemon simply nerfed them because they felt like it. This is why I believe that pokemon is going downhill with all these needless nerfs.

I personally feel like we are underselling this thing. The defenses are pretty freaking good for an attacker, but it takes away from the attack stats. Let's just remember Hydreigon only has 125 Special Attack, it's not ridiculously lower than that. And also, it has Automatize and Dragon Dance, which can cause it to tear through teams. As long as there is not a Fairy, Dragon, or Ice type on the field, this thing has the bulk to live a hit and then setup either Automatize or Dragon Dance, and have a field day from there. I don't know if it will be OU, but it sure will make an impact.

Also, Hakamo-o could be interesting in the lowers tiers as a bulky sweeper. 75 Attack isn't particularly high, but at +1 could cause some problems in PU or maybe NU. It also can sport an Eviolite, which gives it quite good bulk. The typing is still not great, but there is most definitely potential.

Hydreigon had no reliable switch ins besides physically defensive chansey in gen 5. It was an amazing pokemon that was harshly nerfed in gen 6 thanks to GF's ignorance.
If you were around for Gen 5, you'll remember the general consensus was that Hydreigon was a good example of how a pokemon can have no viable switch-ins and still not be great. It was barely clinging to OU at the end of Gen 5, and I am/was at that time one of its main proponents along with people like Shouting. I still think it's a great poke but at no time in history did it enjoy anything remotely resembling a reign of terror.

Hydreigon's drop had little to nothing to do with Fairies and more to do with the general power creep in Gen 6. Hydreigon didn't really get "worse" (not that it was great to begin with), it just wasn't able to keep up with the rest of the metagame.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)