SM LC kiss from a rose

kind of late for me to be doing one of these, but better late than never i guess. this is a team for the SM metagame that i used a bunch in LC open (winning every game i used it in, even the one against eternal spirit where i lost the series) and in a bunch of other miscellaneous stuff. it's not the most solid versus certain threats but there's enough counterplay and for its time it was pretty well-suited to face the metagame (i didn't change it up for the new meta but yeah). i didn't put as much effort into the RMT as i would have liked, but this is one of the teams I'm most proud of and I figured considering the success I had with it I'd RMT it.

the title's from the seal song in one of the batman movies, you should listen to it.

Wingull @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Keen Eye
Level: 5
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Ever since the game I played against ict in SPL, Wingull started becoming more of a mainstream thing, with people discovering more use for its sets [flyinium soon became the standard, with alternative sets (defog, sub + berry juice, and so on) showing up in Snake]. HP Fighting Wingull never really caught on, but it's still a good alternative I've used from time to time, and it's especially effective on this team. Pawniard is an annoying threat, and getting the KO on it after SR or leaving it with 1 HP (where it can't really do much) is invaluable to this team. Wingull's also just a fantastic breaker because at the time, people were insufficiently prepared for it and Chinchou wasn't at all prominent (it's still mostly niche usage, but yeah). With a few smart switches, it was really easy to wreak havoc on opposing teams.

how my game vs Zoro looked like

Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Synthesis

Foongus is fucking broken, and an annoying defensive threats for a lot of teams (as one of my games would show...). It's my Fighter check, my Staryu check, a pivot into a bunch of stuff, and sleep is a very potent threat that you can use to get free turns for the birds to do some damage. I didn't really need the fourth slot for anything (hidden power is obviously nice, but I had Fire on Staryu and Fighting on Wingull which were more effective as lures anyway), so having an edge in Foongus mirrors and also being able to Synthesis up on Mienfoo as it tries to get cocky in the 1v1 was the choice I went with.

Doduo @ Berry Juice
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- Jump Kick

Doduo forms a birdspam core with wingull, helping break down bulkier walls or clean up after Wingull softens up the team with a few attacks. I used this set because it's flexible in terms of how you can use it and incredibly punishing to switches unless the opponent has a healthy Onix that's out of Jump Kick KO range or something. Quick Attack is nice to provide some priority because despite the team having a defensive backbone, it doesn't really wanna give away free switches, so the ability to KO a weakened Wingull or something is invaluable.

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 116 HP / 116 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Clear Smog

If you don't have this, Abra and Gastly by default become a massive dick to deal with. Even if you have it, they might be, but I guess that's just how it goes. Grimer's useful in a bunch of matchups, even being able to Pursuit trap annoying stuff like Wingull if you're smart with it. I used Clear Smog for the last slot pretty much out of necessity against stuff like Scraggy, because I lacked something like a Fighter or a Fairy-type to counter it sufficiently and this way I retain some counterplay.

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 36 HP / 200 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Staryu's pretty important for this team, considering the main threats on this team are both SR weak and the other members appreciate it not being on the field. Hazard stacking from Ferroseed's also annoying, which is why Staryu has HP Fire to OHKO berry juice variants and chip down evio ferro to the point where it's not much of a threat. Thunderbolt rounds out the coverage pretty well, and because I needed to change the IVs this Staryu wasn't really bulky enough to warrant Recover being useful.

Onix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail

Onix on this team is pretty much out of necessity. It's the flying resist which is pretty much necessary here, and the SRer on the team. There's a reason it's used so much, and it's that it's just so good at doing its job. Dragon Tail again is for stuff like Scraggy, but big picture it's somewhat like Taunt in terms of deterring setup (Shellder's an important one). Also having the slight chip damage is never bad; it could make all the difference between whether they can set up in the future or not.

Replays with the team:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7lc-310301 - vs zebraiken in lc open
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/smogtours-gen7lc-308640 - vs flcl in lc open
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-621117550 - vs finchinator in lc open
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7lc-627508699 - vs eternal spirit in lc open

I probably had more of these but these are the best I could find. Still good matches against very good players though.

Importable:
Foongus @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Spore
- Synthesis

Doduo @ Berry Juice
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 236 Atk / 236 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Substitute
- Brave Bird
- Quick Attack
- Jump Kick

Grimer-Alola @ Eviolite
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 116 HP / 116 Atk / 36 Def / 196 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Knock Off
- Gunk Shot
- Clear Smog

Staryu @ Eviolite
Ability: Analytic
EVs: 36 HP / 200 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Rapid Spin
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Wingull @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Scald
- U-turn
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Onix @ Berry Juice
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 76 HP / 236 Atk / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Rock Blast
- Dragon Tail

so yeah I guess that's it. was a fun ride in SM, even though LC got slashed in SPL it's still had a pretty strong showing. hopefully the upward trend in terms of metagame quality persists in USM

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)