Klinklang

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Klinklang

So here's the discussion thread for Klinklang; an excellent pokemon who just had a Smog-feature RMT based on him! Anyway, he only seems to have one set at the moment so this thread is not only for general discussion about him but also for proposing any possible sets!

Here is his currently used set:

Klinklang @ Life Orb
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Atk / 124 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Substitute

Hidden Power Fire or Ground can be used over Substitute to hit things like Ferroseed and Leftovers over Life Orb for the standard durability/attacking prowess argument.

Here's my proposed alternative:

Klinklang @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Sassy Nature (+SpD, -Spe)
- Volt Switch
- Thunder Wave
- Return
- Toxic

A wall and status spreader. Admittedly it's not what it's best at but it can have a decent supporting role considering its Steel typing and excellent Defense and passable Special Defense and HP. Hits the bulky waters like Slowking and Alomomola as well as Claydol that will no doubt switch in with Toxic, and gets the paralysis on sweepers like Magneton and Aerodactyl. Volt Switch lets it take a hit and then switch to a counter, and Return gives it an offensive move to hit stuff with. (No Gear Grind because a wall doesn't want to miss and Return has less resistances.)

So there we are, let me know what you think could work on this very odd pokémon.

I love it. I only wish it had a little thing known as... A movepool. Kidding aside, if it actually had any coverage moves, it would be amazing. I can't wait for the tutors that will (hopefully) be in the next game.

Alas, I know that theorymon is generally looked down here, so I'll stop. Klinklang's main niche is one of the better set up sweepers. With Shift Gear giving it +2 speed, revenge killing is nearly impossible without Mach Punch (although, it's relatively common down here with Hitmonchan). Steel gives it plently of resistances to use to it's advantage for an easy set-up. Volt Switch could be a good alternative for Sub, since it allows for a quick switch out while damaging if the situation goes sour. There's my input.

SkullCandy

She Bangs The Drums
is a Contributor Alumnus
Yeah you're right, and just to indulge in a little more theorymoning. The following moves would make KlingKlang amazing; Earthquake and the elemental Punches.

Ok. Enough. KlingKlang isnt really a Pokémon to do tonnes of damage early on. He's more of a cleaner who can sweep once a couple of layers of Spikes and/or Stealth Rock. However, Toxic Spikes is really excellent for KlingKlang because it whittles down all those annoying bulky waters.

Have you tried Chesto Rest Klinklang?

Klinklang @ Chesto Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SpA)
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return
- Rest

Works a lot like the regular set except instead of hiding behind a substitute, KlingKang can recover it status from resting, the extra bulk allows Klingkang to accumulate an extra Shift gears, giving it +2 Att and +4 Speed. Steel typing gives Klingkang 11 resistances allowing it to tank hits while accumulating Shift Gears. Just make sure to eliminate pokemon that use fire, fighting and ground moves before using him.

The EV Speard I used isn't exactly the best EV speard so test out what best for you. Max attack may not be necessary if you can guarantee more then one Shift gear.

Here is another option that was inspired by when I caught a Klink with Modest nature:

Klinklang@Leftovers
Trait: Plus or Minus
Moves:
Flash Cannon
Charge Beam
Toxic
Protect
EVs: 252 SpA/96 HP/8 Def/122 SpD/20 Spe

Charge Beam is intended to make Flash Cannon and subsequent Charge Beams stronger. More can be put into speed if you are worried about not having Automotize/Shift Gear. If you want better coverage, HP Ice, Water, Fire, Fighting, or Ground could all be acceptable. Toxic and Protect is the classic combo

I'm all for unorthodox move sets (currently rocking a physical Typhlosion, which I want to discuss in the proper setting)

But the Shift Gear sets are really so much better than anything else it can currently do.

I'm really liking the ChestoRest though.

The Charge Beam Klinklang might have a tiny niche as a lure of sorts, if only because the only set anyone expects is the Shift Gear set.

Warning!
Complete Theorymoning here
only trying to give Special Attacking Klinklang a chance.

Klinklang@Leftovers
Modest nature
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Trait: Plus or Minus
Moves:
Flash Cannon
Charge Beam
Thunderbolt / volt switch
HP of choice (probably ground, ice, or fire)

getting a charge beam boost on the switch to the obvious physical wall is mandatory. Otherwise you won't be making enough of a dent, and your cover is blown. Depending on what the wall is (if it can threaten to 2HKO, status, or phaze - which, let's be honest, all of them can), pick the best move to do damage with. The opponent might switch, but honestly if it was me, I would be laughing too hard to even take you serious as an opponent and probably just continue with what I was doing. If it's something you really can't hurt (talking less than 40ish% here) which will happen, try to volt switch out to a good counter.

with listed Hidden powers some notable pokemon to hit

Fire------- hits ferroseed, tangrowth, steelix (kind of, because charge beam will fail), magneton
Ground-----hits magneton, drapion, camerupt and lanturn and steelix (kind of for same reason)
Ice---------hits Gligar (+0 even does decent damage)...yep pretty much Gligar and Druddigon, Tangrowth too I guess

if your opponent has Quagsire, Klinklang is probably best used as death fodder at this point.

Also Munchlax, Clefable, and plently of others might not be the first switch in, but they are going to be able to deal with you easily too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)