ORAS RU LAST DINOSAUR

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

LAST DINOSAUR

Hello people, this is my 1k post RMT, featuring a team based on a somewhat underrated Pokemon: Samurott. With the recent drops and the separate tiering of Mega Evolutions, RU has changed from an offensive oriented metagame to even more offensive oriented. The drops brought a lot of threats an individual has to keep in mind to build an effective RU team: Sharpedo, Venusaur, Medicham, and a few more. With these new threats and the old ones, RU has become a tier with a couple of threats to cover while building, and even then these threats may overwhelm the team. Anyways, here's the team at a glance:

Teambuilding Process:​

Samurott is quite an underrated Pokemon in the tier, being one of the few offensive Water-types in the metagame, it can takeout Grass-types after setting up, as well as Slowking, which is a great Pokemon in RU.

Having Samurott means that sometimes Grass-types tend to switch in on the Swords Dance, forcing me to switch. A good Grass-type check is Venusaur, which also acts as a wallbreaker, which can dent foes and lead to an easier chance for Samurott to sweep. Venusaur also handles Virizion nicely so that's nice as well.

Tyrantrum and Aerodactyl looked very dangerous for the team, as it can just switch in and spam Head Smash and Stone Edge respectively. The team also liked to have a decent Stealth Rock user, and check Volt-Turn as well. Mega Steelix looked to be a great fit.

Tyrantrum is added to provide more offensive pressure to the opponent's team, and to have a better matchup versus offensive teams. It also provides as the Fletchinder check and a revenge killer to non Choice Scarf Durant, Virizion, and Life Orb Delphox.

At this point, the team gets destroyed by Sharpedo, as nothing on the team can reliably beat it. I added Gurdurr to check Sharpedo. Gurdurr also provides the team an additional Virizion, Tyrantrum, Accelgor, and Mega Abomasnow check, while proving to be a solid setup sweeper.

The team looked very weak to Choice Scarf Medicham, and appreciated a specially offensive wall breaker. Sigilyph is a solid Medicham check and a wallbreaker, so it found its way onto the team.
With that being done, here's the Team:

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

Samurott is a great setup sweeper that isn't hampered much by the new drops, as only the problem it faces is specially offensive Venusaur, which runs Speed and thus outspeeds it. Anyways, Swords Dance makes its Attack stat increase to dangerous levels, where Waterfall and Megahorn would hurt a lot, while Aqua Jet is a nifty priority for dealing great damage to foes that doesn't resist it. Samurott also acts as a Fletchinder check, which can beat slower variants if my checks for it somehow go down, and it can make Absol go for Sucker Punch when facing it, since they would be predicting the Aqua Jet. Megahorn is really useful, since it can let Samurott beat Water- Grass-types, such as Tangrowth, Slowking, Mega Abomasnow, and Cradily, while dealing a good amount of damage to Virizion and Venusaur on the switch.

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Venusaur is used in order to check the Grass-type threats properly. It is also a nice Water-type check that can fire off Leaf Storms, which deals massive damage to anything that doesn't resist it. Synthesis is used to heal off any damage, increasing Venusaur's longevity. Sludge Bomb is used to deal damage to Grass-types, especially Virizion and Venusaur. Hidden Power [Fire] is used over Knock Off, because Escavalier gets a free switch-in on Venusaur and KOing it is always nice. Venusaur should be used smartly, as it cannot check all sets of Virizion reliably, therefore one needs to predict what Virizion would use, and act accordingly to that, as Calm Mind + Hidden Power [Ice] can be quite troublesome.

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 132 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

One of the best megas in RU at the moment, Steelix is my check to Tyrantrum, Fletchinder, and a great damage absorber overall. Stealth Rock is mandatory, as it is needed on every team, while Earthquake and Heavy Slam are the STAB moves for Mega Steelix. Earthquake hits Tyrantrum and Rhyperior, because Heavy Slam damage on them are weaker. Heavy Slam is used on everything else. I decided to run Toxic over Roar on this team, because crippling bulky Water-types make it easier for my team to break them down.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw

I realised that my matchup versus offense was a bit tough, so I added the Pokemon that offense fears a lot: Choice Scarf Tyrantrum. Tyrantrum also acts as a revenge killer that my team desperately needed. Head Smash is an incredibly dangerous move, which makes Tyrantrum the threat it is, since it has Rock Head. Almost everything that does not resist Head Smash falls to it. Superpower is to hit Mega Steelix on the switch, while Outrage is to hit Flygon, Virizion, and other Fighting types that resist Head Smash. Dragon Claw is used on the last slot, so I don't get locked into Outrage and get revenge killed by a Fairy-type. However, Crunch can also be used to hit Bronzong, as it is one of the best counters for Tyrantrum.

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

I realised Sharpedo is a massive threat to my team, and having a nice setup sweeper with a priority to hit Dark-types is appreciated. Gurdurr proves to be a nice glue to the team, being a nice Virizion and Tyrantrum check, as well as being a status absorber. Bulk Up lets it bulky and strong at the same time, Drain Punch makes it harder to revenge kill, Knock Off is used for Psychic-types, and Mach Punch is the much needed priority for a slow Pokemon. Even though it checks Sharpedo, it shouldn't switch into Hydro Pump, and the switch should be Venusaur or Samurott, and then switch to Gurdurr, as it can tank Dark Pulse or Ice Beam better.

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Roost

As my team looks like, I'm really weak to Choice Scarf Medicham and my team would appreciate another wallbreaker. Sigilyph there has made its way into the team. Acting as the only Ground-type resist, Sigilyph lets me play around specially offensive Flygon. Psychic is used over Psyshock, since RU doesn't have too much specially defensive walls, and thus, hits hard on anything that doesn't resist it. Heat Wave is for Escavalier, Bronzong, and Mega Steelix, as weakening the latter two gives an easier Tyrantrum sweep. Dark Pulse is used to hit Meloetta and Delphox, who annoy the team quite a lot. On the other hand, Air Slash can be used over Dark Pulse to hit Houndoom, Drapion, and Spiritomb much harder, making them harder to revenge kill or Pursuit trap Sigilyph. Similarly, Energy Ball could also be used to hit bulky Water-, Ground-, and Rock-types. Roost is mandatory, as Sigilyph is the teams only way to check Medicham.

Conclusion

Thank you for reading my RMT. I have only one thing to say when using this team, make sure to think of all the possible plays and act on the best one. Also Sharpedo is pretty broken.

Samurott @ Lum Berry
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Swords Dance
- Waterfall
- Megahorn

Venusaur @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Synthesis
- Sludge Bomb
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Steelix-Mega @ Steelixite
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Atk / 132 SpD / 28 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Heavy Slam
- Toxic

Gurdurr @ Eviolite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Superpower
- Outrage
- Dragon Claw

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Dark Pulse
- Roost

Last edited:

MZ

And now for something completely different
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yo feen, cool team but you lose to the classic zen headbutt + stone edge dual lure virizion. Might wanna try brightpowder on that sigilyph, that way you can beat it without hax.

Anyway, this is me trying to give advice in a tier I can't even build for just because you posted it but you lack an ice resist and have multiple weaknesses so things like aboma, glalie, sneasel, etc. kinda suck with gurdurr being a cool check but not a switchin. Oh and ur houndoom check is priority. What about Hariyama>Gurdurr and then Energy ball on Sigilyph to compensate for losing a scald switchin? You become more weak to sharpedo in that gurdurr automatically stops a sweep but Yama is only 3hkod by LO Hpump and u still have what seems like a reasonable amount of checks to me although idk it's gonna be s rank or somth. Cool team, grats on finally making it to 1k after missing out for a few months

lighthouses

Inordinary
is a Tiering Contributor
Hi
Wind's Course (Tangrowth) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

This over venusaur will help you handle meloetta a bit better(takes 40% from hyper voice) which literally just destroys you atm while also checking sharpedo, i mean, you can stop sharpedo from sweeping with gurdurr but it just clicks attacking moves and everything drops, sorry i can't go more in depth about this since it's really late and i'm really tired and on my phone.

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Yo feen, cool team but you lose to the classic zen headbutt + stone edge dual lure virizion. Might wanna try brightpowder on that sigilyph, that way you can beat it without hax.

Anyway, this is me trying to give advice in a tier I can't even build for just because you posted it but you lack an ice resist and have multiple weaknesses so things like aboma, glalie, sneasel, etc. kinda suck with gurdurr being a cool check but not a switchin. Oh and ur houndoom check is priority. What about Hariyama>Gurdurr and then Energy ball on Sigilyph to compensate for losing a scald switchin? You become more weak to sharpedo in that gurdurr automatically stops a sweep but Yama is only 3hkod by LO Hpump and u still have what seems like a reasonable amount of checks to me although idk it's gonna be s rank or somth. Cool team, grats on finally making it to 1k after missing out for a few months
Thanks a lot for the rate bud. I think lure Virizion doesn't exist (it needs CC and Leaf Blade), but you're kinda right about Hariyama. I'll try and see how it works.

Hi
Wind's Course (Tangrowth) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Focus Blast

This over venusaur will help you handle meloetta a bit better(takes 40% from hyper voice) which literally just destroys you atm while also checking sharpedo, i mean, you can stop sharpedo from sweeping with gurdurr but it just clicks attacking moves and everything drops, sorry i can't go more in depth about this since it's really late and i'm really tired and on my phone.
Solid suggestion bud. The only thing I worry about is losing wallbreaking capabilities but I'll still try the team out with it.

Crestfall

levitate, levitate, levitate, levitate
Is it me or is the OP not showing up?
It's not just you. I think it's because it was moved to Team Showcase? I manually found the post (instead of through my notifications) and it fixed itself. Now the OP is showing again.

As for the team - I think a well played durant (correct prediction for every switch) can be really annoying for you (especially CB w/ bpass). Otherwise it looks like really solid balance. Maybe consider rindo berry rott as well in case venu gets low (and sigi really doesn't like taking hits, even resisted ones).

The only other thing you might want to consider is sash on Sigi in case you do get pursuit trapped so you can still get out and come back to kill something later. But your team will definitely miss the damage. I'd also mention stuff about hazard stacking but your team really shouldn't have issues preventing that. Venu also absorbs tspikes and you have no SR weaks.

Great team Arifeen.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion

Should be added to OP imo 8:)
But yeah great team you already showed me it before and i like the last minute changes you made we talked about + sigi dark pulse cause team was indeed kinda psychic weak. Abomasnow would look scary to switch into but nothing needs to switch out of it so thats np.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)