LC Theorymonning: What if?

Bronzor is annoying enough just using recycle oran berry if it got recover then it could just use eviolite instead of oran berry and be a even better and annoying wall.
Well yeah, the whole point of Bronzor having Recover is it gets Eviolite AND recovery. Without both it's much less threatening defensively

You're right about Magnemite Charmander, I never ran the calcs.

Mold Breaker Drilbur and Life Orb Murkrow wouldn't be countered by Bronzor however. Drilbur just smashes through with Earthquake while Murkrow kills with Heat Wave. The decrease in Sand teams, and by association their Snover counters, would have an extreme impact on the LC meta at-large.

tl:dr One move can make a huge difference.

Edit: You guys ninja'd me because it takes me like 20 years to type a post...

What if Bronzor Got Recover

Well everyone already knows that reliable recovery would turn Bronzor into an amazing wall but I am here to mention another cool thing about Recover Bronzor. Calm Mind sets could become very viable. Think about it, a Calm Mind + Recover Bronzor could boost its special defense in the face of many common threats like Snover, Drilbur, Hipopotas, Mienfoo, Staryu, Chinchou, Abra etc and with Calm Mind you are garuanteed to beat Magnemite. Also after a Calm Mind I would imagine Pokémon like Mixkrow and Nasty Plot Misdreavus can be beaten! The moveset would look like Calm Mind / Psychic / Recover / Flash Cannon and it would be a good set if you already have Stealth Rock covered on another Pokémon. With Recover I think Bronzor might become a top-tier threat! due to it being able to reliably wall stuff and offensively threaten opposing teams not to mention being able to wall common threats in lc is amazing!

What if Abra had Counter?
I'm using a wierd team right now (I picked the current top 6 most used pokemons and made a team with that)
It's not a very good team as there is a big Murkrow weakness but as I was making the sets I tried to put Counter on Abra and found out it wasn't allowed cause it was a gen 3 move or something. That would've allowed full health Abra to assure a KO on Murkrows with the focus sash or other Dark types like scraggy/pawniard/vullaby that could otherwise pose a threat to Abra.

Last edited:

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What if Abra had Counter?
I'm using a wierd team right now (I picked the current top 6 most used pokemons and made a team with that)
It's not a very good team as there is a big Murkrow weakness but as I was making the sets I tried to put Counter on Abra and found out it wasn't allowed cause it was a gen 3 move or something. That would've allowed full health Abra to assure a KO on Murkrows with the focus sash or other Dark types like scraggy/pawniard/vullaby that could otherwise pose a threat to Abra.
Hey man, I actually ended up watching your that battle where you proposed the idea to me(Sexy TCR). Honestly, I don't think it would be that big of a deal, as Abra already gets HP Fighting to ohko any variant of pawniard and IIRC due to counter's mechanics, it does damage based on damage done, not damage it should've done( So focus sash limits its power? Right?)so it couldn't ohko scraggy and vullaby anyway. It would be an interesting concept though :x

What If Poliwag Had Gotten Drizzle?

Obviously the metagame would be in a much different shape than it is atm, possibly even using Aldaron's proposal at some point(?). However, if this had happened, I believe vulpix might not have been banned, as it DrizzleWag puts a lot of pressure on sun teams. Stuff like mantyke might even have become a lot more popular and stuff like larvesta might not even be used. Perma weather is a pretty big thing :$

Last edited:
Hey man, I actually ended up watching your that battle where you proposed the idea to me(Sexy TCR). Honestly, I don't think it would be that big of a deal, as Abra already gets HP Fighting to ohko any variant of pawniard and IIRC due to counter's mechanics, it does damage based on damage done, not damage it should've done( So focus sash limits its power? Right?)so it couldn't ohko scraggy and vullaby anyway. It would be an interesting concept though :x
Well it's true about Pawniard(I just had sucker punchers in mind) but focus sash doesn't limits its power it limit its use and once is all you need to take out something. Abra has 19 hp so its 18dmg x 2 -> 36 dmg. Because you would be full health, take on a hit, be at 1 health and instead of counter attacking with a weak neutral or resisted hit, bam counter ohko(ofc it wouldn't work too well vs substitute Krow but still).

Last edited:
What if poliwag got drizzle?

I can see rain being a very powerful element, possibly even more powerful than sand. Tirtouga, omanyte, and clamperl would become almost unstoppable. Stuff like ferroseed would rise in usage. Overall the addition of rain would be interesting, but im pretty sure that just like Sun, it would most likely be banned.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What if Larvesta got Regenerator

If larvesta got regenerator, it would certainly rise in usage. Not only would foongus+larvesta+slowpoke regenerator cores be really common, larvesta might even get more usage than the three big Ms. It would play very similar to Ho-oh in ubers, except the two most common SR setters (Bronzor and ferroseed) are wrecked by it (Ho-oh can't touch a lot of sr setters IIRC). In combination of regenerator and u-turn, it would become a formiddable threat. Other people's thoughts on this?

What if Larvesta got Regenerator

If larvesta got regenerator, it would certainly rise in usage. Not only would foongus+larvesta+slowpoke regenerator cores be really common, larvesta might even get more usage than the three big Ms. It would play very similar to Ho-oh in ubers, except the two most common SR setters (Bronzor and ferroseed) are wrecked by it (Ho-oh can't touch a lot of sr setters IIRC). In combination of regenerator and u-turn, it would become a formiddable threat. Other people's thoughts on this?
Larvesta would definitely be a better pivot in general due to more switching capability and less dependency on morning sun. Infact, I can even imagine a larvesta/slowpoke regenerator core, so it would be a boon to offensive and defensive teams alike.

Rowan

The professor?
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
What If Poliwag Had Gotten Drizzle?

Obviously the metagame would be in a much different shape than it is atm, possibly even using Aldaron's proposal at some point(?). However, if this had happened, I believe vulpix might not have been banned, as it DrizzleWag puts a lot of pressure on sun teams. Stuff like mantyke might even have become a lot more popular and stuff like larvesta might not even be used. Perma weather is a pretty big thing :$
We actually had a mini-tournament a while back where Vulpix was unbanned and we gave Poliwag drizzle, and rain really dominated. Mantyke, Omanyte and all the other swift swimmers were really really threatening, even more so than sand rush drilbur is now imo. Lileep was very popular, putting a stop to Hydro Pump spam and hitting all the swift swimmers for SE damage. Croagunk was also pretty good in rain with Dry Skin now keeping it healthy alongside Drain Punch. It was also perfect for countering Lileep to help the swift swimmers. Basically if Poliwag got Drizzle it would be banned pretty quickly as perma-rain would be way more broken than perma-sun ever was.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)