(Little) Things that annoy you in Pokémon

Why does Synchronize not work when getting Pokemon as Mystery Gifts? It makes no sense at all.

Well, Poke Pelago could have been the solution, but the process is very slow and you still have to walk to get the Eggs, and said Eggs don't hatch until you enter Poke Pelago again.

This can be improved in so many ways.
The problem I have with Pokepelago is the noted need to actively pick the eggs up and then recollect them. Just a simple automation of "when egg laid, send to nursery box, hold it if box is full" would cover that part simple enough, so just walk until you have 30 eggs, and then you can put the game aside while they hatch.

The other issue with Pokepelago is that it's so slow that is doesn't solve the main issue with egg hatching: it takes a long time AND there are so many to go through. Pokepelago hatches 18 eggs over the course of what, a day? This would need to be something like up to 30 over 12 hours (because honestly, active farming hatches twice that much within 2-3 hours) to be worth the attention of even leaving the mons there.

I wanted to reply to your post, so here we go.

First of all, regarding the Entralink Missions. Well, fair enough. While I did them and there were some others who also did them, I don't think they ever were that popular. It would be interesting to know how many actually tried them, but I guess we'll never know. There's one thing I thought about. The fact that they were replaced with the Funfest Missions in the sequels might show that they weren't that popular after all? Just a theory though.

Now, to the big part. HG/SS and why i hate them several things I didn't like about them that you did. Now, since they are my very least favorite games in the series, I do have a negative bias towards most things surrounding them which probably affects my views a bit, I'll admit that. Anyway, let's go.

1. Kanto. Yes, let's forget about G/S/C. I don't want to remember them anyway. While HG/SS did some small things to improve upon Kanto, it just wasn't enough. Restoring old areas such as Viridian Forest, Seafoam Islands or Cerulean Cave did next to nothing for me. Cinnabar Island was still nerfed, but at least it had awesome music. More trainers means nothing when they are still at too low levels and you can't rebattle them efficiently. The Gyms still lacked motivation for beating them, and the puzzles didn't do a lot in my eyes. As for the rival, I have always had a hard time caring for him as well as his story and character development. I think his character development is simply too little, too late. A lot of it also happens off-screen which is terrible as it is the kind of thing you want to see in a game. I prefer most other rivals over him. As for the Safari Zone, I'll take about it under its own point.

Having good training spots would have been great, as would a better level curve, or rather a level curve at all as Kanto was way too open and not linear enough which meant they couldn't have proper level scaling, for wild Pokemon and trainers alike. For example, there are level 19 Raticate outside of Celadon City when you have beaten a guy with a level 50 Dragonite, there are Pidgey at level 2-4 in the Routes around the Gym where the leader have a level 60 Pidgeot. The final areas in the games didn't have much to offer either. Both Cerulean Cave and Mt. Silver barely reached level 50 in terms of wild Pokemon, which is unacceptable.

What I'm critizizing HG/SS for is not the problems of G/S/C, but rather the fact that HG/SS failed at improving upon most if not all of the problems with the originals.

2. Battle Frontier / New areas around Cianwood. I love Battle Frontiers. The ones in Emerald and Platinum were a lot of fun. But I think that copypasting the Platinum Frontier to HG/SS is one of the worst things the series has ever done. Why would I want to play through the same Frontier twice more? HG/SS didn't offer a whole lot new in terms of new strategies to try out either, most things could already be done in Platinum. I don't mind them copypasting Battle facilities when it is just a single facility (such as the X/Y Maison to OR/AS), but a whole Frontier is not okay. Heck, OR/AS offered far more new things to do in the Maison (mainly with the new Megas) while HG/SS had almost nothing. HG/SS simply doesn't deserve credit for the Frontier when Platinum is the game that had it first and deserves the credit for it. I think it is very fair for HG/SS to not get any credit for a feature they simply copypasted from a better game.

As for the new areas around Cianwood, they suffer from the same problems as Kanto. Nice try, but far from enough. I don't know about everyone else, but I explored those areas as quickly as I could when I played HG/SS, "post-game" is the last word I'd use to describe them. There weren't exactly much to do there either, though I did like the music and catching the Hoenn mascot legendaries was cool.

3. Mt. Silver and Red. I talked about Mt. Silver a little already, the problem is that it has Pokemon at way too low levels, no trainers apart from Red, and it is a pain to navigate due to its idiotic structure and needing a ton of HMs. I liked it better in G/S/C where it felt more structured and better executed. Simply, it was more linear and straight-forward in the originals, save for the first room.

As for Red himself, I don't really care much for him. I wouldn't have minded him being at super-high levels if the games actually had some place to level up, now they don't which just makes it unfair. I had to trade over strong Pokemon from D/P/P in order to beat him, which shouldn't be the case. I definitely prefer the superbosses in other games, notably B2/W2, which also have great training spots and good chances to reach the same levels as those bosees. I also don't like Red's personality, or rather the lack of it. I don't mind the games having silent protagonists, but if you lift out the protagonist and keep them silent even as an NPC, you get a character lacking character, simply put. I feel the same way when facing Red in the PWT and Battle Tree as well, he just isn't interesting as a boss character. Or as a character overall. That's why I don't like how they had to include him in any games outside of R/B/Y and FR/LG in the first place.

4. Safari Zone. Unlike you, I have never been a huge fan of the Safari Zones. Except OR/AS, that one got it right. The rest are just too luck-based for my liking. The customization feature was once more, a neat idea with a mediocre execution (which I think can be said for far too many things about HG/SS, sadly). I did like that they removed the step limit though. The issue is that there aren't that many interesting Pokemon to find here during the main game, and during the post-game, some of the waiting times are just insane. I'll admit that I never fully understood how the Safari Zone worked (for example, it gave me Solrock on one of my games when I hadn't met the requirements to find them) but having to wait hundreds of days just to find a single Pokemon is not okay. I'd say anything over 40 days is completely unacceptable in every way.

5. Other non-fun content. I think we need to define the terms here first. There's post-game, and there's content, but those aren't necessarily the same. Post-game are things that can only be done after beating the game, while content are things that can be done at (almost) any time. Some content in the games are post-game only, but not everything. Minigames for instance can often be done at any time but I personally always wait with completing them until I have beaten the main game.

With that out of the way, let's go. I didn't like the Pokeathlon, so take me on if you dare. I thought it was poorly executed, if the touch screen doesn't respond to your moves in something that's completely touch-based, how are you supposed to enjoy that? It also felt like the opponents ganged up on me far too often. The goals were also very unclear to me (in the game), I had to try several things before finally understanding what I was supposed to do in order to get the Trainer Card upgrade I wanted. That said, it isn't my least favorite minigame as I prefer it over the Sinnoh contests, Poffin baking and Voltorb Flip, but that's it. Gen 5 was the one that really got everything right when it comes to minigames in my opinion.

Then the following Pokemon. Unpopular opinion which I have stated before, but I don't like this feature. Don't feel like giving a long explanation right now and I dislike repeating myself too much, I have explained my thoughts on it before here if anyone should be interested (I guess not since almost everyone loves this feature lol). So, just a short explanation for now. I think this feature is the single most useless and overrated feature in the whole series, it adds nothing to the gameplay, it is poorly executed and slows down the games. It is also my least favorite feature in the entire series to date. It did not help me "connect" with my Pokemon in any way, Amie/Refresh does that a thousand times better than this crap.

I wasn't too fond of Voltorb Flip either, while there was a bit of strategy involved, it was still too luck-based for me. But the main problem isn't the game itself, it is the fact that you can't buy coins, forcing you to play the dumb game of you want a Porygon, a TM, or whatever you needed them for.

Other things? Yes. The Shiny leaves was nothing special either, it took like 20 minutes to complete and since I didn't like the following Pokemon to start with, that made it even worse. That's all I could think of though.

6. The merits of HG/SS. Even with all of this, I don't hate HG/SS. I wouldn't even say I dislike them, they are my least favorite Pokemon games but that doesn't mean I dislike them. There are actually a few small things I like about them, but I'm saving them for future posts in the right thread.

I wanted to enjoy HG/SS. I really tried to. But I couldn't. Their massive gameplay flaws and poorly executed features just got in the way every time. Completing the Pokedex in them was the least fun I have ever had completing a Pokedex. I tried to find other things to do afterwards, but I just couldn't find anything that was either fun or lasted longer than a few days at best. I'm dismissing their merits simply because I can't find any.

That's it, I think. Now, this is all just my opinions (with some facts mixed in). If you disagree with me (I guess most people do since HG/SS are videly loved and popular)... that's actually all fine. Opinions are like that.

This took a while to write. But I needed to do this, this fandom sometimes forces me into venting my thoughts on a given subject. This is the second time it has happened here on Smogon this year. Interestingly, the last time it happened was also because of you, stage7_4. I guess the two of us simply just don't agree on certain things. But that's actually okay, I'm glad to be able to participate in these kinds of discussions sometimes.

I think that was all I had to say about this. For now, at least. I'll vent the rest of my complaints about HG/SS at some unknown point in the future.

You aren't alone in your despise for walking Pokémon, I honestly prefer Amie and refresh as features, there is something magical about playing pet with your Pokémon and feeding them.

Walking Pokémon is an OK distraction but barely useful for a game that already has technical issues with its polygon count and actually overheats older 3ds models, it just eats memory and active processesing for fluff something I'm clearly against.

Let's be honest here, Gamefreak isn't the best when it comes to processing and programming, it's kind of a miracle their early games managed to work and we always find new ways to potentially destroy playthroughs with Pokémon games and their flags.

Taxing them with extra models, pathing and anti-aliasing for those would make the game run slower than a Battle Royale with 4 Moltres on screen.

If walking Pokémon could be turned off the moment you get the function it would be another history otherwise it would just feel as a cosmetic fluff no different from the yearly coat of paint CoD or FIFA games get every year with useless features a new graphic engine but no gameplay enhancements done to the game.

I don't think highly of Johto either merely because it wasted the perfect opportunity to fix Johto mistakes but instead just went for fluff, most of that happened with ORAS and their refuse to improve stuff like Esmerald did but they mainly get a pass for actual gameplay changes like the expanded pokedex post super ancient and the radar dexnav function being a great Fucking tool in all fronts.

I don't think highly of Johto either merely because it wasted the perfect opportunity to fix Johto mistakes but instead just went for fluff, most of that happened with ORAS and their refuse to improve stuff like Esmerald did but they mainly get a pass for actual gameplay changes like the expanded pokedex post super ancient and the radar dexnav function being a great Fucking tool in all fronts.
ORAS actually made the game worse in some areas, such as the level curve - all major opponents were underleveled (generally by a level or two) compared to RS.

Suspicious Derivative It's okay, we like what we like. And my goal isn't to get anyone a game to like what they don't, I was just more getting people to say that they don't like it. Statements about HG/SS lacking content or lacking post-game content are ridiculous given how much it clearly has, but your enjoyment or quality of said content is another matter entirely. I like it, you don't, nothing wrong with that.

Sorry if I can't remember what conversation you're talking about, but admittedly I do love a good debate so I'm not surprised to hear we've done this dance before. Apologies if I ever come across as rude though, sometimes I'm more blunt than I intend.

But new topic, shall we? I'm sure we're all sick of this back and forth.

Platinum for instance was a game I used to hold in really high regard, but replaying it made it fall from grace a bit in my eyes. I'll admit it has a decent post-game but still suffers from the Gen 4 slowness but without ease of play editions HG/SS brought to lower the sting (auto-running shoes, touch screen bike, berry pots). It is a wonderful improvement on Diamond/Pearl (the lowest games in the series in my book) but still maintaining some of their flaws, especially in the route design. The map is linear but makes you crisscross, backtrack, and zig-zag all over, too many routes have annoying gimmicks (path to Snowpoint City being the worst), route biomes themselves were a little bland, and HM abuse was at it's peak for the series.

Black and White I can and have ranted forever but it's probably similar to other opinions against HG/SS, I don't like them as much but they're really popular so it seems I'm always attacking them. It mostly just comes down to the story, which I found poorly paced, had too much "tell" and not enough "show", and came off as contemplate our navels faux-philosophical. I liked a lot of other things about it, but since the core of Black/White is the story I have trouble enjoying it as much as others.

I have similar feelings about Sun/Moon but in reverse, Sun/Moon is again really story focused but the game has lots of flaws. However, since I really like SuMo's story I'm more forgiving of said flaws.

I got another one. Can they stop trying to make Pika cloning work? By the time we got to Dedenne I realized it needed to stop. Togedemaru might have some effort put into it but it's not enough. How about Raichu clones, instead?

I got another one. Can they stop trying to make Pika cloning work? By the time we got to Dedenne I realized it needed to stop. Togedemaru might have some effort put into it but it's not enough. How about Raichu clones, instead?
Sadly that puts it on a BST advantage and breaks the tribute.

Togedemaru is actually really good, I'm amazed it took them that much to create something better than Emolga.

Unfortunately, it's not really about "trying to make it work".

Every generation had its own Pika-clone, which not a case all share the signature move Nuzzle.

We can safely expect another one next gen :P

Sadly that puts it on a BST advantage and breaks the tribute.

Togedemaru is actually really good, I'm amazed it took them that much to create something better than Emolga.
Togedemaru is good, but it's just beating up a fainted Mudsdale at this point. He's just an annoyer Pokemon. Paralysis and chip damage is all it does. Annoying. Which is how I view the Pikachu clones. If they can make a Pika clone that can make it to at least RU, then I'll be impressed.

Emolga isn't exactly too great either. Fast, but overshadowed by better Electric types. Fast, but frail. Fast, but passive.

Unfortunately, it's not really about "trying to make it work".

Every generation had its own Pika-clone, which not a case all share the signature move Nuzzle.

We can safely expect another one next gen :P
Oh definitely. Doesn't mean I'll like it. My favorite Pikachu clone is currently Alolan Raichu, I'm not sure about you.

Suspicious Derivative It's okay, we like what we like. And my goal isn't to get anyone a game to like what they don't, I was just more getting people to say that they don't like it. Statements about HG/SS lacking content or lacking post-game content are ridiculous given how much it clearly has, but your enjoyment or quality of said content is another matter entirely. I like it, you don't, nothing wrong with that.

Sorry if I can't remember what conversation you're talking about, but admittedly I do love a good debate so I'm not surprised to hear we've done this dance before. Apologies if I ever come across as rude though, sometimes I'm more blunt than I intend.
Yeah, well said. I don't want to get anyone to start disliking HG/SS or liking/disliking any other game either (don't think I would succeed anyway), but I'm also happy we got to have this discussion. And I'm glad I got to vent my thoughts/frustrations as well, guess that's something I need to do sometimes. So thank you for giving me this opportunity.

It wasn't exactly a "conversation", your post was here and my "reply" (along with some other things) here. If you want to re-read that. And I don't recall you ever being rude to me (or anyone else, from what I have seen), so no hard feelings there. I also hope I haven't been rude to you or anyone else, I know some things I write can be a bit harsh sometimes but I don't mean to be rude to anyone.

I don't have anything more to say on this or any other active topic right now, so I'll leave this thread for a while.

Oh boy, we've got a lot of stuff on the table now. I've got some comments on a few topics in the past few pages, albeit not quite the same ones.

- Post Games: The reason I don't think as highly of HG/SS's post game now as I did at release is a simple reason: all the content in the world has little meaning to me if it's tedious to for entry and enjoyment. the low level curve has been slammed about Johto time and again, but it is a major problem when two major sources of end-game content, the Superboss and the Battle Frontier, require you to train your Pokemon hard if you want to compete (Red for sheer levels, the Frontier for the number of battle capable Pokemon you need). The reason people praise this type of content in Platinum or in B2W2 is because those games provide sufficient means to level up, whether early or late level, with things like the Battleground, Vs. Seeker, Audino hunting, and the Black Tower/White Treehollow. There's a reason my most played facility in Gen 4 was the Battle Factory: the rental system creates a much less time consuming barrier to entry for relatively similar rewards.
That's why you spam the Gym Leader rematches over and over again. I mean it's not like you can only call them once a day.

That's why you spam the Gym Leader rematches over and over again. I mean it's not like you can only call them once a day.
While true, I find getting the Phone Numbers very roundabout since they only show up in certain locations, and then you can only challenge them at certain times on certain days compared to Pt or B2W2 just being "go here and fight people" as soon as the rematch site is available. Plus, a lot of the Gym Leaders have such low levels that they're worth less than simply rebattling the Elite Four (even Blue, the strongest, is only about on Lance's level), so the inconvenience means they don't seem to offer much for fast leveling since you can only fight them at specific times and they don't offer noticeably more than a constantly available option.

I feel like doing a list today:
- removing content like Move Tutors or a real post game to release them for the next game
- shiny lock/event exclusive pokemon
- having no items to guarantie a certain iv on a certain state on wild pokemon or stationary legendary so we can catch 0 speed iv or 0 atk iv pokemon faster
- the options still not getting expanded to not being asked for nicknaming my pokemon and a multihatching function
- no Skipable in-game cutscenes
- no one hundred percent Synchronize
- no difficulty setting (even in BW2 you got it after the elite 4 or you need to share your key with another BW2 cardridge making it more inconvinient)
- only a handful of legendaries early gen games to catch
- being forced to watch the "How to catch a Pokemon?" tutorial
- Serialcodes

I don't think Pokémon catching tutorials should be absolutely skippable because you need to teach people new to the series; especially young kids who might not understand how to do it.

... that said, I think that they should do a check on your party before playing it. If it turns out you actually have already caught a Pokémon before you get to the tutorial, you obviously don't need the tutorial, so let's skip it.

Friendly rival: Hey! I know you're new to this, so I was thinking; how about I teach you how to catch--
Friendly rival: (!)
Friendly rival: Oh! You've already caught a Pokémon! You're even better at this than I thought, [Player], let's just get going to town then!

For what its worth, the low levels of most trainers in Kanto actually made the game a lot more fun for me personally since I typically used a greater variety of mons during this section of the game. IIRC I used and trained the Eevee, Dratini, Gligar, Magcargo, and Skarmory alongside my current team and it gave me newfound love for these Pokemon I never really had. I actually liked that this section of the game didn't really have story progression since it gave me more room to mess around doing stuff like breeding for specific egg moves (Drill Peck / Brave Bird Skarmory) and catching legendaries (Articuno, Latias).

I may be in the minority here, but I do feel Johto has the best region layout solely because of how easy it is to get around the map w/o using Fly. Backtracking to areas like Union Cave, Slowpoke's Well, and the Secret Beach was all really fun. Level curve was sadly pretty poor, however

One annoyance I have in recent games is that legendaries generally feel more shoehorned in, unlike in the past where they were given specific areas dedicated to themselves. Granted, with the sheer amount of legendaries, its understandable why this is the case, but a part of me just wishes Game Freak would put more time into implementing the legendaries in the game with a more meaningful backstory than just "Hoopa Wormhole" or "Ultra Space".

I don't think Pokémon catching tutorials should be absolutely skippable because you need to teach people new to the series; especially young kids who might not understand how to do it.

... that said, I think that they should do a check on your party before playing it. If it turns out you actually have already caught a Pokémon before you get to the tutorial, you obviously don't need the tutorial, so let's skip it.

Friendly rival: Hey! I know you're new to this, so I was thinking; how about I teach you how to catch--
Friendly rival: Oh! You've already caught a Pokémon! You're even better at this than I thought, [Player], let's just get going to town then!
In both Gen VI games, it was possible to have a full, decently-constructed party by the time you reached the catching tutorial. This would definitely remove that annoyance.

I wish these games weren't so stingy with evolution items, they're all over the place with availability. One generation can be generous but the next game will give you just one and that's it!

Like in R/B/Y the stones were purchasable (except the Moonstone, which was limited and had to be found), then in G/S/C you had to do a mini-quest for Bill just to get 1 of each, in Gen 3 you had to trade shards which were semi-hard to find at the time, and even modern games make you shell out a lot of BP just to get some of them.

And don't get me started on the amount of hoops you have to jump through to evolve into Weavile in Sun/Moon.

Evolving your pokemon is a basic concept and shouldn't be so limited. These games really have no excuse for not making all evolution items easily purchasable by post-game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
I feel like doing a list today:
1. removing content like Move Tutors or a real post game to release them for the next game
2. shiny lock/event exclusive pokemon
3. Serialcodes
4. having no items to guarantie a certain iv on a certain state on wild pokemon or stationary legendary so we can catch 0 speed iv or 0 atk iv pokemon faster
5. no Skipable in-game cutscenes
6. no one hundred percent Synchronize
7. no difficulty setting (even in BW2 you got it after the elite 4 or you need to share your key with another BW2 cardridge making it more inconvinient)
1. Yeah, the removed Move Tutor saved for second editions/remakes have always felt like a cheap trick. How about instead of removing the Move Tutors keep the same Move Tutors from last gen and than have the second editions/remakes have an updated list with the new moves.
2 & 3. Shiny lock is annoying, I get it when used for a story reason though maybe give players the option to knock out the Legendary (that what more annoys me about the shiny lock: required Legendary capture) and let them come back to the location to catch it post game where the Shiny Lock is removed. As for Event Pokemon, it's too late now though I wished they maybe had made Event Pokemon available in the next generation of games. If you can get the Event Pokemon in their debut gen, great, you have early access to it. But if you couldn't all you'd have to do is wait till next gen to get those Pokemon where they'll have a new series of Event Pokemon. Though I would also like to say I would really prefer for them to make the Event Pokemon available via Wifi and not serial code you have to got to a store for. Like give the stores their own special promotions, the Event Pokemon should be available to everyone. Or at least always have a later WiFi giveaway which they sometimes do but sometimes don't.
4. Making Speed IVs 0 should be a Hyper Training option. Why would you want 0 Attack IV?
5. All you need to do GF is let us pause the game during cutscenes and having an option to skip the cutscene, like they've done with the Kingdom Hearts games since KH2.
6. Also have it work on Event Pokemon.
7. Dumbest difficulty options ever. I don't know what they were thinking.

Also they could include a Key Item that records all Tutorials you're taught, like the Teachy TV.

One annoyance I have in recent games is that legendaries generally feel more shoehorned in, unlike in the past where they were given specific areas dedicated to themselves. Granted, with the sheer amount of legendaries, its understandable why this is the case, but a part of me just wishes Game Freak would put more time into implementing the legendaries in the game with a more meaningful backstory than just "Hoopa Wormhole" or "Ultra Space".
Now that we have the "region symbol" system I wonder if each second editions/remakes will come with a Legendary hunt so those Legendaries can be legal when allowed. I'd rather not see that happen or at the very least they spread them throughout the generation.

I wish these games weren't so stingy with evolution items, they're all over the place with availability. One generation can be generous but the next game will give you just one and that's it!

Like in R/B/Y the stones were purchasable (except the Moonstone, which was limited and had to be found), then in G/S/C you had to do a mini-quest for Bill just to get 1 of each, in Gen 3 you had to trade shards which were semi-hard to find at the time, and even modern games make you shell out a lot of BP just to get some of them.

And don't get me started on the amount of hoops you have to jump through to evolve into Weavile in Sun/Moon.

Evolving your pokemon is a basic concept and shouldn't be so limited. These games really have no excuse for not making all evolution items easily purchasable by post-game.
GF, just put them all in the BP shop for a reasonable price. Why are you making this difficult?

4. Making Speed IVs 0 should be a Hyper Training option. Why would you want 0 Attack IV?
a Hyper Training option to lower stats sounds nice too, but what if you want to catch a Pokemon with a certain hidden power? at least securing one even iv for something like Hidden Power Fire or Ice would be helpful. Though GF could also implement something to change the hidden power of a Pokemon too.

Last edited:

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

They should totally be skippable. It's not that hard to program the game to ask you if you want to see the tutorial.

If somebody tells the game they don't want to learn a basic and vital game mechanic, that's on them. Besides, the internet exists and an instruction backup like FRLG's Teachy TV can be given to players.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 2, Guests: 7)