Lower-Tier Threats

With Froslass' impending ban to BL, a whole slew of new options will open up for entry hazard setting. Here are two I've used which have been successful.

Crustle @ Custap Berry
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Lonely Nature
IVs: 0 HP / 0 Def / 0 SDef
- X-Scissor
- Rock Blast
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes

I feel like I bring this guy up all the time, I just think its a really cool hazard setter. Thanks to the Custap Berry, Crustle is pretty much guarenteed two turns to do whatever it likes, regardless of speed. This spread minimizes it's bulk to ensure that attacks will definitely drop Crustle down to Sturdy, nothing is more frustrating than Crustle getting knocked down to just outside of Custap range. Crustle isn't complete Taunt bait however, X-Scissor is decently powerful coming off of a base 95 Atk stat and Rock Blast is great for breaking through Subs or Sashes. Earthquake is another possible attack that could get added some where in this set if you wanted to increase Crustle's coverage.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Spore
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Whirlwind/Magic Coat/Toxic Spikes

This set needs little explination due to Smeargle's infamous ability to learn every move in the game. With one of UU's biggest Taunt users out of the way however things become a little easier for Smeargle. Spore is extremely beneficial to pretty much every team, and that move alone can guarntee Smeargle atleast one turn of set up. I like to opt for Whirlwind as Smeargle's 4th move so it doesn't become set up bait, but Magic Coat would be extremely useful to bounce back Taunts and statuses. If you're feeling extra ballsy though Toxic Spikes could take that final move slot.

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
There are 2 mons that I would like to talk about, that are really excellent in the current meta for heavy offense teams, and more specifically work extremely well together.

Uxie @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Light Screen
- U-turn
- Reflect
- Memento

Uxie is often overshadowed by Azelf in UU, but Uxie make a much better dual screen setter for heavy offense teams for a few reasons. First, Uxie has outstanding bulk even without investment, allowing Uxie to set up screens in front of almost any mon in the tier, while still have an excellent base 95 speed stat. Uxie can set screens and u-turn out while still having enough health to come back later and set screens again. More importantly, however, is Uxie's access to memento over Azelf, as Screens+memento pretty much guarantees one of your mons a free turn of set up, which can be game changing, especially when paired with the following mon.

Gorebyss @ White Herb
Trait: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest/Timid Nature
- Baton Pass
- Shell Smash
- Surf
- Hidden Power [Electric]/Ice Beam

This is kind of a mix between the dedicated passing set and the offensive sweeping set on smogon's site, but there is a reason shell smash and baton pass are banned in RU and NU, and this here is why. Gorebyss is an awesome mon in that it has decent natural bulk, a killer set up move, good special attack, and access to baton pass. I chose HP Electric, because that hits both Blastoise and Empoleon hard, who may come in and try to roar you out, but ice beam probably gives better coverage.

While on the topic of hazard setters...

Accelgor @ Focus Sash
Trait: Sticky Hold
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spikes
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Yawn / U-turn / Final Gambit

Again, following the impending ban of Froslass, I suspect Accelgor will quickly fill the role of fast suicide Spiker, outpacing even Weavile. This typically means that two layers of Spikes are guaranteed, as Focus Sash prevents any indirect OHKOs. Accelgor also has a base 100 SpA stat, allowing it to deal a fair amount of damage to a wide variety of Pokemon before being KO'd or forced out. Bug Buzz is great for smashing opposing Dark-, Psychic-, and Grass-types, while dealing solid damage to opposing Swampert and other common leads. Focus Blast does solid damage to Rhyperior and other Rock-types, as well as opposing Steel-, Normal-, and Ice-types that try to switch-in and beat Accelgor. It also has many other offensive ventures, such as Giga Drain and Hidden Power, allowing Accelgor to check a wide variety of threats. The last move slot gives Accelgor some utility, Yawn phazing set-up threats, U-turn conserving Accelgor's usefulness and grabbing your team some momentum, and Final Gambit prevents opposing Rapid Spin users from spinning away Accelgor's spikes while doing significant damage, potentially OHKOing them.

KM

slayification
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
@ Leftovers
Trait: Ice Body
EVs: 248 HP/252 Def/8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Sub
- Protect
- Roar
- Blizzard

Doesn't need much explaining, lol. I find this Stallrein to be optimal in UU as the number of physical threats you can set up on with full investment (Mienshao Stone Edge, Heracross Stone Edge, Flare Blitz, V-Create, Hitmontop CC) that you couldn't with special investment far outweighs the prospect of being able to set up on things like Zapdos, and unreliably at that. 8 Spe (could go higher tbh) is purely to always Roar before Empoleon. Roar is preferred over Toxic because optimally, you'll have TSpikes on the field anyway.

I wouldn't normally post such a boring set, but I feel it needs to be mentioned.

Its very relevant, Walrein alone is the reason Hail Stall works in my opinion. I can't think of any Hail Stall team that's caused me trouble without the damn walrus. Here's a slightly odd one I've been using recently and enjoying:

Moltres @ Choice Specs/Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Rash Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hurricane
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- U-turn/Roost

With base 125 SAtk and 90 Spd Moltres becomes a fearsome wall breaker in UU with Choice Specs. The main attraction of Moltres is it's dual 120 BP STABs. Flying is excellent offensive typing in UU, very few things are able to comfortably switch into a Hurricane, even Snorlax is 2HKOd (252+ SpA Choice Specs Moltres Hurricane vs. 0 HP / 200 SpD Snorlax: 243-286 (52.71 - 62.03%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) This set definitely goes against my general mindset of never using low accuracy moves however, with 70% accuracy Hurricane misses are always a problem. The 4x SR weakness is a huge downer too, but I've been using Moltres along with offensive Xatu and its actually pretty effective in deterring entry hazards.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
wasnt there one of these threads already where is it???

Zweilous (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Water tail
- Superpower

yeah this is actually not terrible believe me please! notably it resists lots of stuff (like chandelure's stab) so it can usually take a single hit which is nice and it is like really strong as in it can ohko heracross with just rocks 100% of the time and like half the time still without rocks wow is that cool or what! outrage also 2hko natural switch ins like milotic and blastoise sometimes if you get your sr up which is very surprsing imo. not everyone knows what to do when they see this so they might switch in something to slow to try and kill you like idk nidoking and BAM you ohko it 100% of the time (80 do to ustle i guess) with just spikes up. it is a decent revenge killer and sweeper and has good surprise value

wasnt there one of these threads already where is it???

Zweilous (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Hustle
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Outrage
- Water tail
- Superpower

yeah this is actually not terrible believe me please! notably it resists lots of stuff (like chandelure's stab) so it can usually take a single hit which is nice and it is like really strong as in it can ohko heracross with just rocks 100% of the time and like half the time still without rocks wow is that cool or what! outrage also 2hko natural switch ins like milotic and blastoise sometimes if you get your sr up which is very surprsing imo. not everyone knows what to do when they see this so they might switch in something to slow to try and kill you like idk nidoking and BAM you ohko it 100% of the time (80 do to ustle i guess) with just spikes up. it is a decent revenge killer and sweeper and has good surprise value
This thing needs Choice Band so badly. That's Zweilous' claim to fame anyways. Just slap it on a team with a Magneton and some Thunder Wave support, and bam, happy hunting.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Here's something I've been enjoying lately.

Klinklang @ Life Orb / Leftovers
Trait: Clear Body
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shift Gear
- Gear Grind
- Return / Substitute
- Wild Charge

This is a pretty fun late game cleaner in UU, and although it has a pretty small movepool, Shift Gear and its offensive movepool provide it what it needs to be a pretty good late game sweeper. With the EV spread provided above, Klinklang outspeeds Jolly Scarf Mienshao after a Shift Gear boost, which is a good benchmark to hit, and Klinklang can literally take a weakened team, and pulverize it. Gear Grind is pretty strong, and like Cinccino, Klinklang can break Subs, and especially be able to stop SubPass Mienshao. Return and Wild Charge provide enough coverage so that Klinklang can sweep through other things like Swampert and bulky Water-types, and Klinklang is overall a great sweeper. The other thing is that Steel-types are relatively scarce in UU, and many of the relevant ones have issues with being worn down over time. Overall this is a really cool sweeper that I've found to be surprisingly effective.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
This thing needs Choice Band so badly. That's Zweilous' claim to fame anyways. Just slap it on a team with a Magneton and some Thunder Wave support, and bam, happy hunting.
I disagree because you make it sound way too easy; it is extremely hard to use Magneton in UU because of lack of bulk and lots of weaknesses and if you do use it half the time it cannot beat Bronzong and Registeel still since they just EQ you to death. Thunder Wave support is difficult to pull off because you not only need to find room for a paralysis move but then you have to make sure you target the right Pokemon, paralyzing a Bronzong will be no help to you. Lastly if you want to go to all that trouble you might as well use the almost as strong but much more reliable in bulk and accuracy Drudiggon.

Scarf Zweilous which I have used extensively on PO (which is almost the same as PS now right with Froslass gone?) is unexpectedly fast and strong which are the two big things going for it. Simply starting the game by OHKOing randomly like a Chandelure is not usual but not very unusual either and it is always a big help.

Klinkklang is cool but it seems like one of those Pokemon that could be your main sweeper and if it is I would hate to be constantly relying on Gear Grind's accuracy. I'd like to know how you can get rid of or weaken bulky waters, Steels, physical walls and find time to set up to get a sweep and how often you have to face all of those threats (I doubt you ever face all 4 on a team right?!)

I disagree because you make it sound way too easy; it is extremely hard to use Magneton in UU because of lack of bulk and lots of weaknesses and if you do use it half the time it cannot beat Bronzong and Registeel still since they just EQ you to death. Thunder Wave support is difficult to pull off because you not only need to find room for a paralysis move but then you have to make sure you target the right Pokemon, paralyzing a Bronzong will be no help to you. Lastly if you want to go to all that trouble you might as well use the almost as strong but much more reliable in bulk and accuracy Drudiggon.

Scarf Zweilous which I have used extensively on PO (which is almost the same as PS now right with Froslass gone?) is unexpectedly fast and strong which are the two big things going for it. Simply starting the game by OHKOing randomly like a Chandelure is not usual but not very unusual either and it is always a big help.

Klinkklang is cool but it seems like one of those Pokemon that could be your main sweeper and if it is I would hate to be constantly relying on Gear Grind's accuracy. I'd like to know how you can get rid of or weaken bulky waters, Steels, physical walls and find time to set up to get a sweep and how often you have to face all of those threats (I doubt you ever face all 4 on a team right?!)
If you're using Magneton to deal with the likes of Registeel and Bronzong, you're using it wrong. You use Magneton to get rid of Empoleon and to keep hail at bay. Thunder Wave support, contrary to popular belief, is easier than you make it sound. Thunder Wave has an extremely well-rounded distribution, and most hazard setters are capable of learning it, as well as a plethora of offensively-natured Pokemon. Pokemon like Qwilfish and Rotom-C for example, are two excellent users of Thunder Wave. It's designed to slow up the fast scarfers in this tier anyways, so even if you end up hitting something slower than Zweilous, and there aren't that many Pokemon that can lay claim to that, you've still given yourself an opportunity where that Pokemon becomes unable to move, giving yourself potential for a free turn.

At a base Speed of 58, I would hardly call Scarf Zweilous "unexpectedly fast". It tops out at 354 Speed, which is literally just enough to bypass Tornadus-I. Once an opponent realizes you're outspeeding their non-Scarfed base 100's, your cover is blown. PO UU, albeit I'm still slightly hatewagoning here, is still a remotely different tier. If I remember correctly, both Metagross and Reuniclus are elements to their game we do not have access to, and I imagine that some discrepancies would arise from that. Here, I know that Choice Band Zweilous has a niche, as it's known for the strongest Outrage in the game. After Hustle, I'm certain that its Outrage is already stronger than Scarf Flygon's, but Flygon has the advantage of being significantly faster. To give it that extra boost makes it worthwhile to be used over Druddigon, which couldn't fathom hitting as hard as Zweilous.

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
If you're using Magneton to deal with the likes of Registeel and Bronzong, you're using it wrong. You use Magneton to get rid of Empoleon and to keep hail at bay. Thunder Wave support, contrary to popular belief, is easier than you make it sound. Thunder Wave has an extremely well-rounded distribution, and most hazard setters are capable of learning it, as well as a plethora of offensively-natured Pokemon. Pokemon like Qwilfish and Rotom-C for example, are two excellent users of Thunder Wave. It's designed to slow up the fast scarfers in this tier anyways, so even if you end up hitting something slower than Zweilous, and there aren't that many Pokemon that can lay claim to that, you've still given yourself an opportunity where that Pokemon becomes unable to move, giving yourself potential for a free turn.

At a base Speed of 58, I would hardly call Scarf Zweilous "unexpectedly fast". It tops out at 354 Speed, which is literally just enough to bypass Tornadus-I. Once an opponent realizes you're outspeeding their non-Scarfed base 100's, your cover is blown. PO UU, albeit I'm still slightly hatewagoning here, is still a remotely different tier. If I remember correctly, both Metagross and Reuniclus are elements to their game we do not have access to, and I imagine that some discrepancies would arise from that. Here, I know that Choice Band Zweilous has a niche, as it's known for the strongest Outrage in the game. After Hustle, I'm certain that its Outrage is already stronger than Scarf Flygon's, but Flygon has the advantage of being significantly faster. To give it that extra boost makes it worthwhile to be used over Druddigon, which couldn't fathom hitting as hard as Zweilous.
Why don't you have a badge yet huh?!?!?! I was really expecting you to have one by now hmmmmmmm...

Anyways I still disagree with you Magneton getting rid of Bronzong and Registeel is actually doable, at least more doable than I sort of implied. One on one Magneton always wins with Magnet Rise and as a counter Magneton always wins if it comes on the extremely obvious SR (or some other non-EQ non Seismic Toss move).

I have only ever tried paralysis support with Snorlax so I won't dispute what you say except for the fact I have never ever on my time on the ladder since it last reset (idk when this was I just started laddering over the weekend and I already have 120 or so games) had a paralysis weak Pokemon get paralyzed by Thunder Wave unless I made a conscious choice to dispose of the Pokemon. I imagine this is because you really don't ever try to switch in offensive Pokemon when your opponent has a free turn to do nasty and terrible things to you.

Having the strongest Outrage in the game might sound nice rhetorically but it is really not a niche at all. Drudiggon is going to easily get all the KO's it needs with Outrage; so what if Zweilous does 160% or something to Mienshao, Drudiggon is going to do like 140% or something (I'm making this up but you get the point). Places where you think it might become relevant really aren't; Rhyperior is being 2HKOd no matter what as are Swamperts so yeah not really significant. The accuracy the lack of bulk the still lack of speed all make Band Zweilous really really suspect looking in terms of "can i viably use this guy?"

Scarf sets are unexpectedly fast because people expect eviolite sets or they don't expect anything at all and are like "wtf is this lol noob" because the rarity of Zweilous. You cannot use terms like "just enough to bypass" in terms of speed because if it is enough then absolutely 100% of the time Zweilous will outspeed TOrnadus and then 80% of the time it will OHKO (hustle), Speed is most exact stat in that case. but once they realize you are outspeeding them they will have no time to react because Zweilous has sheer power, enough to OHKO that Tornadus without SR support. Things you thought were "kind of sort of bulky" will die with SR support including offensive Zapdos and Heracross.

Yes Metagross was an element but the fact that I could use Zweilous in a Metagross filled UU gives more power to Zweilous because Metagross is a Zweilous counter. Reunclus is more ambivalent than you think towards Zweilous since he can OHKO him while Zweilous cannot do the same always with Crunch. I play UU extensively far more than is healthy, on both PS and PO and sometimes use a common team which implies at least a little the two UU's are not very different. They really aren't.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Eelektross @ Choice Specs / Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Superpower / Thunderbolt

This is absolutely my favourite lower-tier UU threat, and one of my favourite pokemon to use in UU generally. Whenever I use electric-types I only ever use Volt Switch, which is why Thunderbolt isn't on this set. Giga Drain and Flamethrower are fantastic types to wall-break, covering a slew of dangerous Pokemon each. Obviously the clear weird thing on this set is a physical move, Superpower, on a Choice Specs set. No I'm not a noob, but Superpower is a great lure for Snorlax or similar special walls, since they've already seen you're a special set and if you can predict the switch-in then Superpower is a clean KO. I haven't used Expert Belt or Thunderbolt but I can certainly see them working well.

Eelektross @ Choice Specs / Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Mild Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flamethrower
- Giga Drain
- Superpower / Thunderbolt

This is absolutely my favourite lower-tier UU threat, and one of my favourite pokemon to use in UU generally. Whenever I use electric-types I only ever use Volt Switch, which is why Thunderbolt isn't on this set. Giga Drain and Flamethrower are fantastic types to wall-break, covering a slew of dangerous Pokemon each. Obviously the clear weird thing on this set is a physical move, Superpower, on a Choice Specs set. No I'm not a noob, but Superpower is a great lure for Snorlax or similar special walls, since they've already seen you're a special set and if you can predict the switch-in then Superpower is a clean KO. I haven't used Expert Belt or Thunderbolt but I can certainly see them working well.
O wow Eelektross is myfavorite nu pokemon for the same reason here, I'm going to go test this out right now :o

For those of you who are looking for a more offensive version of OTR Cofagrigus or Nasty-Room Slowking, look no further than Nasty-Room Beheeyem.

Beheeyem (F) @ Leftovers/Life Orb
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Sp.A / 252 HP / 4 Sp. Def
Quiet/Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Nasty Plot
- Psychic/Psyshock
- Signal Beam

Beheeyem might not seem like anything special at first glance, but under Trick Room, a whole new power is unlocked. With a massive base 125 Sp. Atk, decent 75/75/95 defenses, and pretty stellar Psychic/Bug coverage, it literally shocked me how well this guy performed. Beheeyem can 2HKO both Snorlax and Umbreon with the appropriate move after one Nasty Plot, which is just a testament to how powerful this guy can really get.
Use analytic, it hits harder outside TR and on the switch, synchronize sucks.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Gonna cop out by reviving this thread by listing a Pokemon who I personally haven't used but have had used against me a good number of times, to see the true extent of how annoying it truly is:

Weezing @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Flamethrower
- Clear Smog/Haze
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

A Pokemon you'll see like less than once-in-a-blue-moon, but a somewhat-competent physical wall and an incredibly good Pokemon at keeping Fighting-types at bay. Flamethrower hits Steels, but more importantly, it hits that Heracross you just switched this guy on. Clear Smog disrupts setup sweepers such as Scrafty, the aforementioned Heracross, and the like who would still make an effort to break through you, only to be denied setup. Haze can be more useful to get past Substitutes (which actually can make life difficult for Weezing if they get one up), though you get stopped short more easily by Taunt. Will-O-Wisp is to cripple stuff, and Pain Split is to grab some HP back. Basically pound for pound this guy's like a less-annoying Qwilfish in terms of how you'd utilize it, though in exchange for being able to further annoy the opponent by setting hazards or Taunting their walls, Weezing boasts only one weakness thanks to Levitate, which grants it more switch-in opportunities on physical attackers. With support from Pokemon like Umbreon, Weezing can be pretty irritating and difficult to take down despite its status as a poor man's check to Sawk in NU.

I disagree because you make it sound way too easy; it is extremely hard to use Magneton in UU because of lack of bulk and lots of weaknesses and if you do use it half the time it cannot beat Bronzong and Registeel still since they just EQ you to death.
If you're using Magneton to deal with the likes of Registeel and Bronzong, you're using it wrong. You use Magneton to get rid of Empoleon and to keep hail at bay.
Speaking as the individual who started Sub Magnet-Rise Magneton, I don't see why you wouldn't use that variant to beat Bronzong and deal solid damage/take out Registeel (Has S toss or is the Iron Head / Earthquake / SR / T-wave variants). You don't need to pack Thunder Wave on Magneton.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)