[MANDATORY] TEAM BUILDING HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT

http://www.smogon.com/forums/help/bb-codes
http://www.pokestadium.com/tools/sprites

Not sure if you didn't know how to add the sprites or if you didn't know where to find them so hopefully this will suffice. Copy the URL of the image and paste in the image that looks like some mountains. Not a rate or anything but I'm not particularly good at rating teams anyway. Congrats on being number one and on being Canadian.
I ended up figuring out how to add sprites!

Thanks! I got to top 50 in the world shortly after, but it's only BSD. I've begun VGC and I'm doing okay~

Deleted User 246624

Banned deucer.
While I'm not a fan of Trick Room Teams, I am fond of A-Marowak and my current VGC 2018 Team is running Nihilego and Gyarados, so I chose Austin Bastida-Ramos' team from the Dallas Regionals. I haven't researched much into 2017 as I'm just getting started and want to focus on 2018. Some of my threat assessment is likely skewed towards the 2018 meta.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
Level: 50
EVs: 244 HP / 192 Def / 12 SpA / 60 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Recover
- Ice Beam
- Trick Room
- Thunderbolt

Porygon's role on this team is to setup Trick Room for Marowak and Celesteela while being able to take hits with the Eviolite Boost. I feel the only moves that need explaining are Ice Beam and Thunderbolt. Ice Beam being able to do respectable damage to Garchomp (2HKO), Mudsdale (3HKO), and Bulu (3HKO) is nice on top of the slight Freeze Chance. Thunderbolt gets Koko Boosted and is Porygon2's other base 90 SpA that isn't Psychic (which isn't nearly as useful).

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 164 HP / 60 Atk / 136 Def / 148 SpD
Brave Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Heavy Slam
- Earthquake

Celesteela functions as a Trick Room heavy hitter. It's HP EV is tuned for 16x+1 to maximize Leech Seed+Leftovers potential while giving it 140 in both defenses. Heavy Slam being its best STAB move and Earthquake being a meta useful spread move that covers it's ground weakness when under Trick Room.

Marowak-Alola @ Thick Club
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Atk / 28 Def / 68 SpD
Brave Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

A-Marowak functions great inside or outside of Trick Room. Flare Blitz and Shadow Bone are it's best STAB moves and Bonemerang is useful for opposing electric types that threaten Celesteela and Gyarados. While I like Rock Head more, Lightning Rod is much better insurance for the rest of the team.

Tapu Koko @ Life Orb
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Protect

Tapu Koko is a reliable lead able to set terrain, threaten less bulky mon's allowing its partner to setup, or Volt Switch out. I don't think there's really a lot to say about this set. Electric Terrain is a large factor for the amount of Electric moves added to the team.

Nihilego @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Power Gem
- Thunderbolt
- Protect

I prefer Balloon on Nihilego, but I'm constantly told that Sash is better. Simple attacker. Sludge Bomb threatens Tapu, Psychic Types, and Grass Types. Power Gem is it's best STAB move. Thunderbolt gets boosted by Terrain and hits anything the other 2 can't.

Gyarados @ Waterium Z
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 156 HP / 28 Atk / 84 Def / 52 SpD / 188 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Dragon Dance
- Protect

This Gyarados set was a little Tricky for me to wrap my head around. Z-Waterfall does a lot of damage with the EV spread while allowing to to take a good number of hits. Bounce is a useful move for outplay potential and hits respectably hard. I chose Water Z over Fly Z as flying doesn't add a lot as far as coverage goes.

So I did Nils Dunlops team form the European internationals. I had a rough time because i know what these pokemon normally take but i couldn't really figure why he would take them all on the same team or what they were hitting at the time since I didn't play the 2017 vgc format. If there's some area of logic I'm missing here it would be cool for someone to point it out.

1516300724311.png
1516300732754.png
1516300739089.png
1516300713210.png
1516300745774.png
1516300751807.png

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Shadow Ball
- Protect

This team had a lot of fast pokemon that it didn't seem right to put defense stats on Tapu Lele being on of them but a solid core mon as a special sweeper with coverage and psychic terrain stopping things like fake out on leads to break through setters. I felt like on a team with so many fast mons and no trick room this would just aim to hit the fighting/dragon types as well as things like Marowak that it just outspeeds. Leading it with Raichu or Kartana since its harder for the opponent to stop that kind of offense turn 1 unless he just double protects.

Kartana @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

The team didn't seem like it would have trouble dealing with water types so i decided sash would be better than Z grass. I also felt like since i have the sash a standard EV spread would be best. From there it was just stab moves and the sacred sword coverage for things like porygon2 and steel types (specially magnezone whom he cannot run from). Protect for when i need stall for speed control in the form of Pelippers tailwind.

Raichu-Alola @ Electrium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Protect

I think Raichu would be a really good lead int he case that you dont need the rain or speed control for Pelliper considering you have the psychic terrain and access to fake out as a lead combo. I gave this Z move because things like Celesteela, Salamence, Araquanid (this thing lives too damn much), and all the water types that were floating around the format. Psychic being terrain boosted is solid even if they have an electric resist and protect for stall in case i need it (in the even i combo with Pelliper instead.

Ability: Cursed Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

This one is for Bulu, Ninetails and all the steel types that can't kill me when present clearing the way for Lele/Kartana who struggle with these bulkier targets. EV investments are also standard because I didn't think this was supposed to do anything else.

Pelipper @ Damp Rock
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Toxic
- Tailwind

This is one of the few defensive mons on this team providing rain to weaken the fire moves that threaten Kartana and also the rest of the frailer mons on team. It also provides speed control with tailwind. I added toxic with the thought in mind that if i lead this and Kartana and they had something kartana couldn't ohko i could protect Kart and toxic it. Arcanine being kid of subdued by this pick as well as Incineroar. I was unsure about the item though.

Muk-Alola @ Black Sludge
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Minimize

The other defensive mon that debilitates with knock off and bodies the Tapu Lele that would plague this team otherwise, also answering the niche grass types. The EV spread is just really good bulk. Putting this next to anything to deter Tapu leads, and Weaken the enemy team with poison touch to make way for your sweepers by leading this with Marowak or Pelliper and setting up with minimize.

This started to make more sense to me as i wrote this.I'm still new to this and i think some of the thinking and EV spreads are tricky because they're commonly specific so i don't know if the standard way of using these pokemon is too shortsighted, but if the mons are this straight forward I can't bring myself to overcomplicate it.

Last edited:
Consider your ev spreads more. For example, does Raichu need to be max speed? Look at the VGC17 speed tiers and see if there's anything he outspeeds by being max speed, since other raichu aren't that common and don't really hurt you anyways. Same with Pelliper - at +2 speed is there anything you think you want to be able to outspeed and KO?

For Muk, one of the best things about it is gluttony, meaning at 50% health you can restore half your health back with something like a wiki berry. Poison touch isn't a great ability since it's totally random, doesn't do much damage, and tapu fini means it doesn't work sometimes anyways. Same reason why toxic isn't very useful on Pelliper - the 6 or so turns it takes for Toxix to KO is basically the entire battle.

Consider your ev spreads more. For example, does Raichu need to be max speed? Look at the VGC17 speed tiers and see if there's anything he outspeeds by being max speed, since other raichu aren't that common and don't really hurt you anyways. Same with Pelliper - at +2 speed is there anything you think you want to be able to outspeed and KO?
So i get the Gluttony (but i gave it an Iapapa berry because of the nature) and i changed toxic on Pelliper to protect. But for Raichu's EV spread where would those EV's even go that matters. In the scenario where i don't get to set up the Tailwind wouldn't it be better to just be faster? Would the idea to put specific amounts into HP/Defenses to live specific attacks? 196 in Speed leaves a timid Raichu with 170 speed So is the objective here to creep past what I need to?

So i did some calcs and changed some stuff.

Tapu Lele @ Life Orb
Ability: Psychic Surge
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Dazzling Gleam
- Protect

I changed Shadow Ball to Dazzling Gleam because the spread Fairy dmg seemed like a better option for the mons that are weak and the ones that are neutral but i couldn't think of anything else to change. After the Tailwind set up i really just expect this thing to hit hard and fast. It does live poison jab from Garchomp. Hp and Def investment makes it live better but its a 2HKO regardless.

Kartana @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Protect

This is also hard to complicate because it still lives an incoming Firefang. Even it can kill something like Tapu Koko because of T-bolts Raichu can still take care of it.

Raichu-Alola @ Psychium Z
Ability: Surge Surfer
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 40 HP / 196 SpA / 76 SpD / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Fake Out
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic
- Protect

I calced a bunch and it turns out i didn't need max Speed or Sp.attack for this to do what it needs to do. 170 speed creeps past tons of stuff including Garchomp (not boosted or scarf) and kills it with Z Psychic. Took Z Psychic because it does more to more mons. Everything else it 2HKO's with T-bolt/Psychic. The extra HP/Sp.Def lets Raichu live some scary stuff like Salamence Draco Meteor, Lilligant Leafstorm, and Ninetails Moonblast. Still gets destroyed by water moves from special attackers though.

EVs: 196 HP / 156 Atk / 116 Def / 40 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Shadow Bone
- Bonemerang
- Protect

Marowak has Lightning Rod now i'm not sure why it didn't before since its good in general and helps to soak T-bolts and Z moves that would kill Kartana, Pelliper and possibly Raichu. I split his EV's into some more bulky stuff because he didn't need max attack to kill anything he needs to and he lives a lot of stuff better in case be just gets double up on because he is a huge threat to so many pokemon.

Pelipper @ Wiki Berry
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Hurricane
- Protect
- Tailwind

I kept the EV's from before because i calced it and all the mons he hard walls only get more damage on him if i uninvest for other stats that matter less. It still hits fire types and Krookadile really hard with scald and takes nothing from them. Tapu Bulu gets hit by Hurricane. Wiki Berry for heals

Muk-Alola @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Gluttony
EVs: 252 HP / 124 Def / 132 SpD
Careful Nature
- Protect
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Minimize

Changed to Gluttony and Iapapa berry. The spread was still good so i kept the EV spread. There's not really much to say about this slime monster other than that it still stops Psychic moves threats and Tapu's.

I think its more balanced this time around but i feel like there's something I'm missing and it might be in the Lele and Kartana but they're just fast sweepers.

Last edited:

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
i'm terrible at vgc
here's giovanni costa's team from dallas regionals

Tapu Fini @ Choice Specs
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 160 HP / 4 Def / 248 SpA / 4 SpD / 92 Spe
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Dazzling Gleam
- Hydro Pump

i assumed fini was a choice specs variant, because bulky cm didn't seem to fit on this more offensive team. hp fire hits av kartana to instantly ko it, while muddy water and dazzling gleam are generally useful spread moves and hydro pump can blast threatening targets.

Pheromosa @ Focus Sash
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Protect
- Ice Beam
- Low Kick
- Bug Buzz

it seemed pretty obvious that pheromosa had focus sash. this low kick set is much more risk free (no hjk into protect), but it mandates the use of bug buzz over lunge/u turn to ohko uninvested kartana. ice beam covers garchomp.

Krookodile @ Rindo Berry
EVs: 252 HP / 140 Def / 116 Spe
Impish Nature
- Power Trip
- Protect
- Earthquake
- Dig

i wasn't really sure what moves to put outside of power trip/protect because this mon kills 1 guy per turn w/ eevee pass. earthquake is spread and dig is to bamboozle guys who think they can get you after you protect i guess??? ev spread outspeeds scarf chomp at +2, rest is thrown into physical defense because this mon doesn't need attack investment to get kills with power trip. rindo berry is to live a hit from scope lens kartana which is the only mon that actually immediately threatens this

Eevee @ Eevium Z
Ability: Adaptability
Happiness: 0
EVs: 52 HP / 252 SpA / 204 Spe
Calm Nature
- Baton Pass
- Last Resort
- Detect
- Stored Power

the baton pass user itself. 204 speed is needed to outrun koko at +2; maximum special attack is kinda cool for stored power because you can beat frailer dudes with it. rest is in hp for the bulk. detect over protect for crazy imprison protect shenanigans

Clefairy @ Eviolite
Ability: Friend Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Follow Me
- Flamethrower
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled

this is the mon that usually leads alongside eevee. the ev spread lives smart strike from kartana to dunk it with flamethrower. moonblast is just a general attack for stuff like chomper, soft boiled is useful vs trick room and stuff

Gengar @ Ghostium Z
Ability: Cursed Body
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Shadow Ball
- Protect
- Focus Blast

the team looked like it needed a contingency plan in case eevee couldn't lead. ghostium z gengar can usually beat up something with z shadow ball or focus miss. taunt beats stuff like trick room teams and minimize users.

give vgc 18 teams imo

Here is my homework assignment building the 8th place team from the Dallas regional tournament by Caleb Ryor CableVGC. I picked this team because it looked like it was ready to run trick room and it has one of my favorite pokemon in marowak.

Marowak-Alola (M) @ Thick Club
EVs: 252 Atk / 36 SpD / 220 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bonemerang
- Shadow Bone
- Flame Charge
- Protect
I am running the additional speed evs so that outside of trickroom and after a couple of flame charges he'd be able to outrun various pokemon. Carrying the thick club maximizes his attack along with the evs in attack. The 36 evs in SPD is to make him a little more bulky on the special side.

Araquanid (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Water Bubble
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Leech Life
- Liquidation
- Bug Bite
- Facade
This was just an idea that I was going to play around with. Araquanid is super slow and from battling against it and with it, it seems to be super bulky. I thought adding an assault vest would help with its bulk. Also I have no speed EVs to try and make it as fast as possible under trick room.

Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 0 Spe
- Trick Room
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
Porygon2 running with eviolite makes sense to me. It makes porygon2 super bulky especially on the special side. The HP and SPD investment make it as bulky as possible, running recover helps it last longer so I can adjust to how often I need to run trick room. The bolt beam combo is just for coverage.

Krookodile (M) @ Darkinium Z
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 152 HP / 120 Atk / 60 SpD / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Crunch
- Dragon Tail
I thought of running Krookodile as my pseudo hazer with dragon tail. Taunt is there to stop opposing set-up sweepers and walls. Earthquake hits hard, crunch is the obligatory STAB move. Darkinium Z is to provide a nuke to use at the appropriate time. The spread is to maximize bulk and speed. I plan to use it to pick up some easy KO's to get the moxie boosts.

Kartana @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Smart Strike
- Leaf Blade
- Psycho Cut
- Sacred Sword
I think this one is pretty self explanatory. Hit things hard, and with the amount of intimidate users out there I would be ok to switch frequently. I thought about using a life orb instead to switch but I like the extra power provided by the choice band.

Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 208 HP / 252 SpA / 48 SpD
Modest Nature
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect
- Calm Mind

Tapu Fini is a pokemon that I have been trying to use lately. I wanted it to be bulky but be able to hit hard. The berry is to give it a little longevity.

I've chose Collin Heier's team from the Dallas Regionals. I chose it because it had a few Pokemon I've been trying to use in the VGC Showdown metagame and in Doubles. He also got a pretty high place in the tournament, so this team must've really worked out for him! I also noticed that most of the teammates compliment each other when paired up (usually by taking care of each other's weaknesses), and the team has at least one resistance or immunity to every type.

I also think this is a Trick Room team, since it has Porygon 2 (a common TR setter) and pretty slow Pokemon.

Tapu Fini
Tapu Fini @ Iapapa Berry
EVs: 240 HP / 108 Def / 132 SpA / 28 SpD
IVs: 0 Spe
Modest Nature
- Calm Mind
- Muddy Water
- Moonblast
- Protect

Tapu Fini is a bulky Pokemon that's slow enough to abuse a Trick Room Team. I'm using the regular Fini set, except without the 4 Speed EVS. Instead, the 4 EV remainders are put into HP. The Iapapa Berry is used for healing, and Modest doesn't reduce its Defense. 240 HP, 108 Defense, and 28 EVs are for increased bulk. The remainder is put into the Special Attack, to make Tapu Fini hit harder. This EV spread helps Tapu Fini survive a Tectonic Rage from Landorus-T, and then OHKO him with Muddy Water. It can also survive Timid Tapu Koko's Thunderbolt. Calm Mind helps Tapu Fini hit harder and take hits better. Muddy Water is for Water STAB and dealing with Rock, Fire and Ground, something this team may have trouble with. The lowered accuracy is also useful. Moonblast is for Fairy STAB and Protect is for protecting itself against ally moves (especially Vikavolt's Discharge!) and other attacks.

And just saying: all the Pokemon on this team have 0 IVs so they can take full advantage of Trick Room.

Tapu Fini when paired with Arcanine deals with Rock and Ground for him, while Arcanine takes care of Grass for it. With Garchomp, Fini deals with Dragon types and Garchomp deals with Electric and Poison types for Fini. With Metagross, Fini deals with its Fire, Dark, and Ground weaknesses. When paired with Vikavolt, Tapu Fini can deal with the Rock and Fire types that threaten Vikavolt. Meanwhile, Vikavolt can deal with Grass types that can threaten Tapu Fini and other Water types Fini may struggle to take out.

Arcanine:
Arcanine @ Aguav Berry
EVs: 244 HP / 188 Def / 76 SpD
Calm Nature
- Flamethrower
- Snarl
- Will-O-Wisp
- Morning Sun

Arcanine is a bulky Pokemon that can weaken both physical and special attackers with Intimidate+Snarl+Will-O-Wisp. The EVs for HP are made divisible by 4 so the Aguav Berry will activate after Guardian of Alola. With 188 Defense, Arcanine can survive a 3HKO Earthquake from Garchomp after Aguav Berry and Intimidate. A Calm nature combined with 76 EVs in Special Defense lets it survive a Life Orb Tapu Lele's Psychic in Psychic Terrain or Salamence's Devastating Drake. Flamethrower is for Fire STAB and to deal with some of the Grass and Ice weaknesses my team suffers from. Snarl is to weaken Special Attackers who don't mind a Will-O-Wisp and an Intimidate. Will-O-Wisp weakens opponents quicker and does chip damage, and Morning Sun is for reliable recovery even after the Aguav Berry is used.

Arcanine deals with Ice types for Garchomp, and Garchomp deals with Rock types. Metagross deals with Rock types and Arcanine can attack Ghost types with Snarl. Vikavolt can deal with Water types and Ground types (will explain later). Arcanine weakening the opposing team will probably help the team in the long run.

Garchomp:
Garchomp @ Garchompite
Ability: Rough Skin
Brave Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Poison Jab
- Protect

Let me explain: While Mega Garchomp does improve some of regular Garchomp's stats, it loses speed. That is why nobody uses it. However, with a Trick Room team, that's perfect. You get a stronger, bulkier Pokemon that's slow enough for a Trick Room team. Therefore, I think this is a Mega Garchomp. Rough Skin is to punish physical attackers. I can switch out a Pokemon for Mega Garchomp and when an opposing Pokemon attacks Garchomp, they get punished with Rough Skin. I have 252 HP and 4 Defense for a bit of bulk, and 252 Attack that allows Garchomp to hit as hard as possible. A Brave Nature allows Mega Garchomp to hit hard with boosted Attack and take advantage of Trick Room with lowered Speed. Earthquake is a powerful STAB move that hits both foes, and Ground attacks have fantastic coverage. Dragon Claw allows Garchomp to hit opposing Dragons and other Pokemon that may resist his other attacks. Poison Jab is for Fairy types that threaten it and Grass types that resist Earthquake. Protect shields him for a turn and allows an ally to use a move that may hit it as well (Surf, for example) safely. It also allows the ally to switch out or eliminate a threat.

Garchomp with Metagross work really well together, with Garchomp dealing with Fire types and Metagross dealing with Fairy and Ice types. Garchomp also makes a good partner for Vikavolt, as Vikavolt is free to spam Discharge without worrying about the ally and Garchomp dealing with any of the Rock and Fire types that threaten it.

Metagross:
Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
Adamant Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Bullet Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm

Metagross is a bulky attacker who can deal a lot of the types, like Rock, Fairy, and Ice types that may threaten its teammates. Assault Vest ensures bulkiness and Clear Body makes it unaffected by Intimidate, especially with Pokemon like Incineroar and Landorus-T and Mega Manectric running around. 252 HP and 4 Def make Metagross extremely bulky, and 252 Attack with an Adamant nature make Metagross stronger. The reason I have both Meteor Mash and Bullet Punch on the same Pokemon. Meteor Mash is a stronger Steel move and has a chance to increase the user's Attack. Bullet Punch is for finishing off Pokemon or revenge killing. It's also for priority, which is especially important in the case that the Trick Room setter goes down. It's also 100% accurate, so it can be very useful if I cannot risk missing. Zen Headbutt is for Psychic STAB, coverage, and flinching, and Hammer Arm can hit Dark types and other Steel types. Hammer Arm also lowers speed for Metagross, which is useful in taking full advantage of Trick Room.

Vikavolt and Metagross pair well together, since Metagross takes care of Rock types and Vikavolt can take care of Dark types that threaten Metagross and Water types Metagross may have trouble dealing with. Vikavolt may also deal with Ground types using HP Ice. Metagross and Porygon 2 work well together as well, as Metagross removes Fighting types and Porygon 2 uses Ice Beam to deal with Ground threats.

Vikavolt:
Vikavolt @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Discharge
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power Ice

Vikavolt is a pretty powerful Pokemon with an amazing Special Attack, but it's brought down by its awful Speed. However, this is perfect for a Trick Room team. Choice Specs combined with a Quiet nature and maximum SpA EV investment increases Vikavolt's power. It also has maxed out HP and 4 SpD EVs for extra bulk. Bug Buzz and Discharge are STAB moves that are strong and reliable, and Tapu Fini can use Protect when it comes to Discharge. Flash Cannon can hit Gigalith and Alolan Ninetales. It can also hit Fairy types for Garchomp, who is probably the best partner for it. Hidden Power Ice is also good for dealing with Landorus-T, who otherwise completely walls Vikavolt.

Porygon 2:
Porygon2 @ Eviolite
Ability: Download
EVs: 244 HP / 76 Def / 188 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Thunderbolt
- Recover

This is the Trick Room setter of the team. Porygon 2's EVs ensure its bulk, and his bulk is increased by Eviolite. This EV spread and Sassy nature also allows it to survive Golduck's Hydro Vortex in the rain and a Scald from Pelipper depending on the Nature combination. The idea would be to survive the two attacks and set up Trick Room. It will also take less damage from Sandstorm or Burn damage. Download ensures that Porygon 2 can OHKO Garchomp (one without the assault vest) with Ice Beam if it gets a Special Attack boost. Ice Beam is used to attack Dragon types like Garchomp or Salamence or Landorus-T. Thunderbolt is used to hit Water and Flying types like Araquanid, Gyarados, Celesteela, which could use Porygon2 as a setup fodder or just knock it out. Recover is used to sponge strong attacks and Z-Moves and gives it the opportunity to set up Trick Room.

Porygon 2 appreciates Tapu Fini dealing with Fighting types and possible Dark types that may have Knock Off or Taunt, while in return it deals with Grass types by using Ice Beam and Water types with Thunderbolt that Tapu Fini may have trouble taking out. Porygon2 also deals with Water and Ground types for Arcanine, and Arcanine can weaken the opponents for Porygon2. Garchomp appreciates Porygon2 dealing with other Dragon types for it. Porygon2 is an absolutely essential teammate.

Are we still doing this for 17, or is it for the current Sun/Moon/Ultra ruleset rotation in 19?
I wouldn't bother doing the homework assignment. Nobody is reviewing them any more so there isn't really much point. The post was made during the VGC17 format when quite a lot of new players were posting incomplete, gimmicky or straight up unviable teams and asking to essentially make the team for them without actually having much understanding about the format. That really isn't really true any more, so I would just post your team in the team building help section. As long as you have descriptions of a reasonable length explaining spreads, sets etc. and why you chose that mon on your team, people will help you out.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)