SM OU Mega Aerodactyl AKA Charizard X Lite Version

Aerodactyl's been one of the coolest rock types in the game ever since it debuted in Gen 1, so I decided to bring it into OU and build a team alongside its Mega version, which is one of the most underrated megas of all time

TEAM:

Aerodactyl_Mega_XY.gif

Aerodactyl-Mega @ Aerodactylite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Aqua Tail
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge

Aerodactyl is a pokemon I feel is massively underused. 135 Atk hits like a tank while 150 Spe makes it tied for the second fastest pokemon allowed in OU, allowing to outspeed anything except for some scarf users. Hone Claws is used to boosts its already great attack to wallbreaking status, while the accuracy boost is an amazing bonus because you won't have to worry about Stone Edge misses. Stone Edge is the main rock-STAB, and it is a very spammable move. Wing Attack is its secondary flying-STAB, which gets the Tough Claws boost. Finally, I have Aqua Tail over EQ because I need to be able to hit pokemon like Landorus and Gliscor. Plus, Aqua tail still hits Heatran for super effective damage, and it gets the Tough Claws boost.

Magnezone_XY.gif

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Magnezone has excellent synergy with Mega Aerodactyl because it can trap and easily defeat steel types, who otherwise destroy Aerodactyl. In return, Aerodactyl can beat the fire and fighting types that threaten Magnezone. Thunderbolt and Flash Cannon are powerful moves with STAB boosts, and Flash Cannon lets Magnezone become a fairy killer. Volt Switch allows Magnezone to act as a pivot and gain some momentum if your opponent switches out. Finally, Hidden Power Fire allows Magnezone to quickly defeat Ferrothorn, one of the most dominant walls in the meta.

Zygarde_Shiny_XY.gif

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Ability: Aura Break
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic
- Outrage
- Thousand Arrows

Zygarde has great defenses allowing it to withstand multiple hits, and its move Thousand Arrows is one of the most spammable move in the game. Like Magnezone, it partners up excellently with Aerodactyl because it can hit steel, rock, and electric types for super-effective damage. I put a Choice Band on it so that it can come in and immediately destroy things. This often catches opponents off guard because opponents usually expect a dragon dance, coil, or substitute. Outrage is for a secondary dragon STAB, and is your best dragon move option. Extreme Speed is an excellent priority move to pick off weakened mons, and finally Toxic is to pressure pokemon that wall Zygarde, like Tangrowth.

Amoonguss_XY.gif

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

The team needed something that could switch in on fairy types as well as water types reliably. Enter Amoonguss, an excellent defensive pokemon thanks to Regenerator, which allows to continously switch in to attacks while healing off the chip damage when switching out. Spore is one of the best moves in the game, and I use it whenever im sure my opponent will switch out. sludge Bomb is the main STAB move to hit fairies and opposing grass types. I chose Giga Drain over something like Energy Ball for extra HP recovery. Finally, HP Fire allows Amoonguss to fight off Kartanas, Scizors, and Ferrothorns.

Tapu_Fini_SM.gif

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

I needed something to remove hazards, as well as something that could switch in to dragon types, so I decided on tapu fini, who protects the team from status thanks to misty terrain, and removes hazards with defog. I've had many battles where the opponent forgot that misty terrain blocks status, which gave me a free turn to do whatever I wanted. This is just the standard set from smogon. I'm running Surf over taunt so that I can deal good damage to pokemon like Landorus T and Heatran, who my team struggles against. Nature's Madness is there for consistent damage, allowing Fini to deal good damage to walls like Pex or chansey. Moonblast is to let Fini take on the dragon types in the tier and is a good STAB option.

Volcarona_XY.gif

Volcarona @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Rounding out the rest of the team is Volcarona, who is the main special attacker and late-game sweeper. I decided to have it hold a focus sash so that it always gets up a QD boost. Swarm if the ability of choice, since if Volc gets taken down to 1 HP, Bug Buzz becomes insanely powerful. Fiery Dance is there over something like Fire Blast because it deals consistent damage, and has a chance of raising Volc's SpA to even greater levels. Bug Buzz is the main Bug STAB, which can lower the target's SpD should it survive. Finally, we have HP Ground instead of a move such as Psychic or Giga Drain, because nobody expects it, so they send in Tran expecting it to be able to wall Volcarona, only to have it be destroyed by HP Ground. It also hits pokemon like Charizard X and Toxapex for supereffective damage.

BAD MATCHUPS:

Landorus_Therian_Forme_XY.gif

Only two pokemon on my team can hit Landorus for super-effective damage, which is Tapu Fini, who has no investment in SpA, and Aerodactyl, who gets beaten by Rockium Z . It can also easily switch in on my zygarde as well as magnezone.

Charizard_MegaX_XY.gif

Charizard X straight up destroys my entire team. If it sets up a Dragon Dance, its pretty much gg. The only pokemon that can switch in on Charizard is Tapu Fini, who gets wrecked if your opponent decides to run thunderpunch.

Pelipper_XY.gif
Mega_Swampert_XY.gif
Kingdra_XY.gif

My team is extremely vulnerable to rain-powered offenses. Swampert and Kingdra can easily tear through half of my team, while Pelipper beats Amoonguss with Hurricane. And those are just 3 pokemon.

Thanks for reading, and let me know any fixes I should make to the team.

EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Hone Claws
- Aqua Tail
- Wing Attack
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 172 HP / 252 SpA / 84 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt

Zygarde @ Choice Band
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Toxic
- Outrage
- Thousand Arrows

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 248 HP / 44 Def / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 1 Atk
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Sludge Bomb

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Surf
- Nature's Madness
- Moonblast
- Defog

Volcarona @ Focus Sash
Ability: Swarm
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Fiery Dance
- Hidden Power [Ground]

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
hey there, you have a really cool team but i have some suggestions for you, you are missing the stealth rock, which are very useful for volcarona in order to sweep more easily, and your magnezone spread is a bit uneffective since with that speed you are slower than many scizors anyway and you can't trap them.

i would go for chansey over amoonguss, this would make you a bit weaker to the likes of tabu bulu but i was thinking to a set with counter so you have a way to kill it if it hits you
Chansey (F) @ Eviolite
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Seismic Toss
- Counter
- Soft-Boiled

for magnezone i'd go for 4 hp / 252 spa / 252 spe timid so you can actually be faster of almost every scizor you find, and you already have the power with teh choice specs!! you lose a bit in bulk but i think your team has a more offensive playstyle so it isn't that needed, especially with chansey and tapu fini as a blanket check to almost every threat in the tier :)

for tapu fini i'd change the set to a choice scarf trick set in order to lure chansey to help volcarona sweep more easily. you're missing speed control even if with aerodactyl that isn't really needed but a fast defog can really useful!!
Tapu Fini @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Defog
- Surf
- Moonblast

the last 2 changes i have is pursuit over hone claws on dactyl and buginium volcarona instead of focus sash. pursuit will let you trap weakened mons and the likes of lati@s that are a problem for you, and buginium volcarona just has a lot of power if you need a powerfull attack, the sash isn't really helpful

that's all, i hope you will find this useful n_n

I’m on mobile so I’m not going to make this rate super detailed but your team does have a couple problems that can be addressed.

My first change is to replace Magnezone with Zapdos. Although Zapdos doesn’t have Magnezone’s trapping ability, it does give your team a way to deal with Hawlucha and lando while still being able to kill steels like ferrothorn and scizor.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 76 Def / 184 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Next I would like to replace Amoonguss with tangrowth. This is mainly to help with zygarde,which your team currently does not have a reliable switch-in to. It also deals with basically everything Amoonguss was there to deal with.

Tangrowth @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Lastly I would replace Hone claws with stealth rock on Aerodactyl because your team doesn’t have a rocker and replace the focus sash on your volcarona with a Buginium Z as your team doesn’t have a z move user and this provides a way for volcrona to nuke something.

Heart Doom

Banned deucer.
You could make some substitutions on your Pokemon sets, because your sets look pretty bad. First you can not use Toxic Zygarde and Spore amoongus + Tapu fini because her terrain virtually cancels and in addition your team does not have a Rocker. So I recommend you change the zygarde set to Dragon Dance and the one from the amoonguss to AV, otherwise put Z move on the dump and use Rocks on the aerodactyl for your team to run out of rocks.

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Roost
- Aqua Tail
- Stone Edge

Volcarona @ Psychium Z
Ability: Flame Body
Timid Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Fire Blast
- Psychic
- Bug Buzz

Zygarde @ Weakness Policy
EVs: 160 HP / 168 Atk / 180 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Iron Tail
- Thousand Arrows
- Extreme Speed

Amoonguss @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 96 Def / 160 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Stomping Tantrum
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)