SM OU Mega Beedrill + Tailwind Offence (Making Beedrill Viable in OU)

Introduction:

This was an interesting team I made for OU inspired by Pokeaim’s team that was used to get number 1 on the ladder. It has been working out pretty well and I’m currently standing around 1400, still climbing.

The Team:

1516629626414.png
1516845901384.png

Beedrill-Mega @ Beedrillite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- X-Scissor
- Poison Jab
- Drill Run
- Fell Stinger

Role:
Revenge Killer/Sweeper

Checks and Counters:
- Scarmory
- Celesteela
- Landorus
- Priority
- Scarf Users
- Mega Alakazam
- Mega Pinsir

Why I use it:
To start off, I have the Mega of the team that enables me to get a huge advantage. It has a typical set using X-Scissor and Poison Jab for STAB + Adaptability damage and Drill Run for the ever so common Heatran. The main component of this set though, is Fell Stinger. This move is what makes Beedrill a potent sweeper and revenge killer.​

1516629590954.png
1516845930271.png

Xurkitree @ Psychium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Energy Ball
- Tail Glow
- Hypnosis

Role:
Sweeper

Check and Counters:
- Mega Venusaur
- Ferrothorn
- Alolan Muk
- Chansey/Blissey
- Ash-Greninja
- Scarfed Landorus/Garchomp
- Scarfed Ditto

Why I use it:
Xurkitree is pretty interesting and is another sweeper on this team. Originally I thought I was clever making this, but Smogon had it before me. The set revolves around Z-Hypnosis landing, so you can get a Tail Glow up and win the game. This works great with Tailwind to counter Scarf Landorus (The biggest counter to it) and Psychic Terrain to eliminate the priority threat (especially from Ash-Greninja).​

1516629650684.png
1516845818272.png

Tapu Lele @ Expert Belt
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Moonblast
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Magic Coat​

Role:
Setup/Priority Destroyer

Checks and Counters:
- Heatran
- Other Tapus
- Alolan Muk
- Fast Pokemon with supereffective STABS

Why I use it:
This Lele was directly taken from Pokeaim except for the item and Psychic to Psyshock because of how well it fits on this team. Usually, I’ll lead this to get early game picks and also have an easy way to take Ferrothorn out of the game, who poses a big issue to my team. Magic Coat can stop Smeargles and other setups in their tracks and also give my team a huge advantage. Finally, Psychic Terrain removes one of the biggest counters and weaknesses of Mega Beedrill - Priority. I have learned that Tapu Lele is nothing to mess with, especially with my tailwind behind it and can sweep if used correctly.​

1516629669088.png
1516845861561.png

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Rock Slide
- Superpower
- U-turn / Gravity

Role:
Revenge Killer / Fast Pokemon Killer

Counters:
- Ice Shard
- Ash-Greninja
- Bulky Walls
- Other Landorus'
- Certain Flying Types​

Why I use it:
This Landorus has been a very useful Pokémon to get easy revenge kills and get easy picks if the enemy team is unprepared for it. It is a reliable counter to many things in this metagame and can even be used to force switches with Intimidate. Also, U-turn can be used to get some damage in and then switch and predict the opponent. Finally, in place of U-turn, you could also use Gravity. This move was suggested by a nice person named LMastro99 (Check him out, he has a pretty good RMT here). With Gravity up, Landorus is able to spam Earthquake and more importantly, Xurkitree's Hypnosis/Z-Hypnosis now has 100% accuracy.​

1516830630537.png
1516845880485.png

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Careful Nature
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off
- Poison Jab
- Pursuit

Role:
Switch-In Punisher/Special Wall

Counters:
- Physical Ground Types
- Anything resistant to/immune to Poison Jab

Why I use it:
Muk is the other Pokémon that was used by Pokeaim and the unsaid MVP of this team. Mine differs from his though because I moved the special defense EVs to defense because it was relatively frail physically. Also, Explosion was changed to Ice Punch to get rid of Landorus easier and Shadow Sneak to Pursuit seeing as that's its niche in this meta. Using Poison Touch can allow the potential for chip damage or punishing switches sometimes. Knock off is the key component of this set because and switches will be punished and if you stay in, even if it’s resisted, they still lose your item. Finally, Muk is an amazing special switch in to most moves because it takes hits so well.​

1516629738309.png
1516845948547.png

Skarmory @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird / Iron Head
- Stealth Rock
- Tailwind
- Defog

Role:
Setup Support / Setup Remover

Checks and Counters:
- Smeargle
- Magnezone
- Multihit Moves
- Rocks

Why I use it:
Last but certainly not least, Skarmory. This is extremely reliable and beneficial for my team. Tailwind is used to predict switches and then outspeed to place down rocks, or to help Pokémon like Xurkitree and Tapu Lele. Defog is able to stop opposing setters, or get rid of late game Sticky Webs. The reason that I specifically mention Sticky Web is because that is the only setup that affects my team (when I say "affects", I mean that it could completely decimate my team, while the other setups don't do much). Brave Bird / Iron Head are good for chip damage or getting certain revenge kills. Finally, you may have noticed the Mental Herb. A few times this has allowed me to take a Taunt and get up Tailwind to then set up my rocks afterwards.

Replays:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ then search HelloFellowHuman - There are some pretty good battles on there
or
- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-691132068 - Psychic Terrain + Mega Beedrill Combo Wins the Game
- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-693280291 - Mega Beedrill Clutch
- https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-691813981 - Xurkitree is OP
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-705009747 - Best clutch in history

Thanks for reading my post! :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Yo Hello Fellow Human ! I like that you're trying to use Mega Beedrill in OU, but I feel that it and some of its partners are satisfactory at best. Mega Beedrill isn't good simply because it lacks the power to punch holes through bulkier builds. Celesteela and Scizor-Mega, among many other Pokemon, easily wall. This fact is especially true because your Beedrill packs X-Scissor. X-Scissor + Poison Jab is not typical whatsoever. Whenever anyone ever uses Beedrill, it's to gain momentum via U-turn.

Overview

1516919940019.png
1516920222005.png
1516921120998.png
1516921540123.png
1516922124062.png
1516923861335.png

Firstly, this team is extremely lackluster defensively. It's not even like it packs the offensive pressure to compensate for this. Water-, Fire-, and even menacing Ice-types such as Kyurem-Black, Charizard-Mega X, or Greninja-Ash, absolutely annihilate this team. They click their respective STAB moves and pick up KOs, especially with hazards such as Spikes and/or Stealth Rock to weaken your defensive Pokemon in Muk and Skarmory. Physical attackers and sweepers shred through the team, too. Tapu Lele is your "setup destroyer," but it's far too frail to survive a majority of boosted hits. Not all setup sweepers opt for priority, and the ones who do (i.e. Dragonite or Mega Pinsir) often pack a strong STAB move that does the job. I'm simply struggling to see the ultimate goal of the team.

Team Changes

1516919940019.png

U-turn >X-Scissor | Knock Off >Fell Stinger

Fell Stinger sucks—end of story. No matter how convincing one may sound, it's impossible for me to believe this move holds ANY utility in a real game. It's very weak, even with the Adaptability boost, meaning that it can fail to revenge kill a lot of Pokemon that a U-turn could. Knock Off allows Beedrill to punish its checks like Celesteela, removing their Leftovers. U-turn provides Beedrill with several pivotal abilities. This lets it threaten Pokemon that it could potentially revenge kill; this is the primary role of your Beedrill.

1516920727807.png
>
1516920222005.png

Keldeo > Xurkitree

Keldeo @ Waterium Z
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Taunt

I'd like to replace a garbage sweeper with a setup Pokemon that can solidly stallbreak. Keldeo's main utility comes from its TauntCM set right now, which allows it to prevent Haze, recovery, and any form of fazing that could prevent its set up from being successful. It heavily annoys Beedrill's checks such as Celesteela or Skarmory by preventing any potential form of recovery (Leech Seed for the former and Roost for the latter) with Taunt. Its menacing power at +1 allows it to punch holes through its conventional checks with Hydro Vortex. Keldeo's natural bulk of 91/90/90 also provides it with more setup opportunities. Xurkitree, if it misses its Hypnosis, tends to die immediately. Even at +1, it's easily revenge killed and requires a Tail Glow to gain many OHKOs / 2HKOs before it's KO'd itself. The style of play between these two Pokemon is vastly different, but Keldeo provides a blanket check for Charizard-Mega X and Ash Greninja; while checking Kyurem-B with prior damage.

1516921120998.png

Choice Specs
1516921176673.png
> Expert Belt
1516921190423.png
| Psychic > Taunt

Tapu Lele, on this team, would act much better as a Choice Specs wallbreaker rather than a Taunt user. Keldeo takes up the utility of Taunt and a Z-move, so it can't run a Z-Focus Blast or Z-Psyshock set. Tapu Lele can wallbreak superbly, which provides Keldeo and Mega Beedrill more chance to shine. Psyshock and Psychic are both ran, as Psyshock can 3HKO Magearna, 2HKO Chansey, and many other feats that Psychic can't attain. Meanwhile, Psychic is able to collect 2HKOs vs. 252 HP Heatran, hit physically defensive Pokemon like Clefable harder, etc.

1516921540123.png
'
Defog > Superpower | Stone Edge / Hidden Power Ice > Rock Slide

Landorus-Therian, as a Scarfer, can opt to run Defog if other team members can't afford to run it. In this case, Skarmory with Defog wouldn't be ideal considering that it's running Stealth Rock (which is already sub-optimal as it is). Offensive SR Lando-T was in consideration, but that'd leave the team without a Choice Scarf user. Anyways, Superpower hits literally nothing. You didn't even explain its usage in the OP, so I'd like to see what it does that U-turn momentum or an outright Earthquake doesn't do better. Rock Slide is merely a weaker version of Stone Edge. It, for example, fails to 2HKO defensive Zapdos, while Stone Edge nabs a 76.6% chance to do so. Hidden Power Ice could also be used to weaken Zygarde or opposing Landorus-Therian—those of which could be annoying for Mega Beedrill.

1516922124062.png

Fire Punch > Ice Punch | 248 HP / 136 Atk / 28 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe Adamant Nature > 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD Careful Nature

A change of Toxapex > Muk-Alola was in heavy consideration, but I suppose Muk can still offer some solid team support. Fire Punch allows Muk to target Mega Scizor, Magearna, Ferrothorn, and Kartana. Ice Punch sounds great on paper, as it hits Landorus, Garchomp, Zygarde, etc., but they all check it before it can fire off the attack, so it ends up being relatively useless. The above EV spread can be explained here.

1516923852964.png
>
1516923861335.png

Ferrothorn > Skarmory

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Protect

Skarmory shares extremely stiff competition with the likes of Heatran, Celesteela, Ferrothorn, and Scizor-Mega as a bulky Steel-type. Out of them all, Skarmory is easily the worse. On this team, Ferrothorn provides additional help vs. non-Hidden Power Fire Kyurem variants, offensive Water-types bar Keldeo and Volcanion, Mimikyu, etc. On this set, Protect is run in the final slot to moderately assist in the Hawlucha match-up. You can Leech Seed on the Swords Dance and Protect on the incoming HJK (or even Power Whip anticipating another SD). If it's a Roost variant, Power Whipping after the Protect will generally be more optimal unless you know their style of play, as the Flying-type gets removed—allowing Power Whip to cause neutral damage. At +1 (assuming Intimidate from Lando-T), Muk-Alola fails to be OHKO'd by High Jump Kick and can retaliate with a Poison Jab. This, in conjunction with Leech Seed chip, or Stone Edges from Landorus, will eventually result in Hawlucha's demise if played correctly.

Importable

1516919940019.png1516920727807.png1516921120998.png1516921540123.png1516922124062.png1516923852964.png (click the images for the team!)

Anyways, I hope you enjoyed the rate. Alakazam-Mega is always an option available over Mega Beedrill, but it's the star of the team so I don't want to replace that (that would also result in 3 total changes). Good luck! :psyglad:

Last edited:
Thanks for the rates, this must have taken you forever to write! I'll definitely try out this team, it's just some of the Pokemon I ran had the tendency to fit my playstyle better. Skarmory was mainly a Tailwind setter (believe it or not) and allowed Tapu Lele to shine and even Xurkitree. Mainly, I just used Hypnosis on switches so I had 2 chances. As for Ash Greninja, Psychic Terrain was there to stop its Water Shuriken and have Beedrill outspeed and kill it. Finally, Fell Stinger was actually more useful than you would think and has won games that I wouldn't have without it. Despite my arguing about the old team, don't think that I don't like this new one, it will just take some getting used to. Thanks again for the new team, I look forward to testing it out on the ladder!

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Thanks for the rates, this must have taken you forever to write! I'll definitely try out this team, it's just some of the Pokemon I ran had the tendency to fit my playstyle better. Skarmory was mainly a Tailwind setter (believe it or not) and allowed Tapu Lele to shine and even Xurkitree. Mainly, I just used Hypnosis on switches so I had 2 chances. As for Ash Greninja, Psychic Terrain was there to stop its Water Shuriken and have Beedrill outspeed and kill it. Finally, Fell Stinger was actually more useful than you would think and has won games that I wouldn't have without it. Despite my arguing about the old team, don't think that I don't like this new one, it will just take some getting used to. Thanks again for the new team, I look forward to testing it out on the ladder!
Tailwind's an archetype I've always wanted to try out, but it always feels like something that works better on paper than in practice. There are too many strong Pokemon that can KO / 2HKO potential Tailwind setters like Torn-T, Zapdos, Skarm, etc. for it to ever work vs. a competent opponent. Good on you for trying it out, though. :swole:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)