Melee Thread (TOURNAMENT SPOILERS TO BE EXPECTED)

yeah i was also rooting for leffen. i dont tihnk that mango can do it with falco vs any of the swedish foxes. i liked seeing his marth tho.
now that leffen's won im back to rooting for the kid

phoopes

I did it again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
As much as I normally root against Leffen I was definitely rooting for him at GOML. That is, until Mango pulled out the Marth. Man, I love Marth and I would've liked to see Mango take that game. But Leffen being crowned victorious after the visa fiasco isn't so terrible. I just hope Mango continues to put in the work with the Marth.

Also is it just me or is Mango not doing Fox dittos anymore? Maybe I'm misremembering but he was going through a "Fox ditto master" phase and hasn't been doing that recently.

no mango was never the fox ditto guy. he used to go out of his way to play falco vs fox or fox vs falco because he hated the ditto matchup so much. there was a period of a couple months where he focused on it but he reverted back to playing a counterpick vs fox it seems.

i share the exact same sentiments regarding the goml victory for leffen though. i wanted him to win it until i saw the marth, but i'm still happy he won after all he went through.

Stratos

Banned deucer.
he'll still fox ditto armada if armada fox dittos him, since he doesn't want to get stuck in falco/peach, but armada hasnt been going fox vs mango.

Man HBox has come so close to losing to non-top 6 players in the last couple months but clutches it out every time

Super close 3-2s over SFAT and Lucky very recently, and then a close 3-2 over PPU earlier today in CEO winners side

McMeghan

Dreamcatcher
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the 5th Smogon Classic Winneris the Smogon Tour Season 14 Championis a defending SPL Championis a Past SPL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
caught up with WTF2 since everything happened while i was asleep, and im hyped for top8! when is the stream starting exactly EST time?

yung Wizzy PogChamp, and a Marth main in the top too! potentially 2 if Mango feels like swinging... the moon is also p.well versed in the samus match-up, so here's hoping he'll advance and shake things up a little bit more

caught up with WTF2 since everything happened while i was asleep, and im hyped for top8! when is the stream starting exactly EST time?
According to Reddit melee top 8 is 4-7 EST

I did a little research and I think the last time HBox got 3-0'd was at HTC last September where Leffen beat him. I also think the last time he lost to a player outside the top 6 was at Press Start last May, where Lucky beat him 3-2.

so to summarize:

• mango's fox looks scary as hell and he's developed a marth counterpick so he doesn't get bopped by armada's peach on FD
  • armada looking shaky but still capable of taking a prime condition mango to last stock 3 games in a row in grand finals
  • hungrybox is probably fired up after getting 3-0'd back to back in the same tournament
  • M2K beating HBox for the first time in god knows when
  • leffen is scary as hell, tore through the competition at GOML earlier this year, and has been determined to win EVO for ages
  • PPMD feeling better, might attend EVO
  • same for Hax
i'm fuckin hyped

That was probably the hypes hbox match I think I have ever seen. Armada looked super upset man, it was kinda heart breaking.

Yeah as an Armada fan that was hard to watch. He had it set one game five and set two game four, but it just slipped away from him...

Good stuff to Hungrybox though, seeing him happy makes me very happy as well, especially because of all the BS he has to put up with because of his character.

And to think that if Armada hadn't SD'd that first stock in game 1 he might have taken it 3-1 or 3-0 in the first set

Great GFs, super hype and great gameplay even if you're not a fan of Armada/HBox finals

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
THAT GRAND FINALS WAS TEN GAMES OF PURE HYPE, TENSION, SKILL & SUSPENSE. I may have died had it gone for longer but even though I wanted Armada to win it, my god was it really fun to watch, one of the best EVO moments.

Plup just has to beat Armada to become the second godslayer, he also got a real nice 3rd as well. Then we got a Falcon getting higher than 7th, good job Johnny. Lastly, I think Mango v Hbox would've gone another way had Mango tech'd the last Rest.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)